Nithrar Discussion

Older threads and ideas relating to the Amstaad RPG.
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Nithrar Discussion

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:00 pm

Post by Yaw »

Well, we went through a day. Nothing too strenuous so far -- that'll require more people and worked out action resolution and combat rules -- but a decent start. Comments on how it worked? Stuff to fix or consider for when things get more complex?
Success breeds suspicion
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:06 pm

Post by jeep »

I was pretty active and we went through a full day in 3 days. I think that it's pretty reasonable to expect a day to last a week unless there is a lot of combat to resolve. Then it might take longer. I like the "all must stop at midnight" rules.

I enjoyed telling the story. Of course there was no action/combat. Which is fine. I expect that there will be a lot more during the next several "days".

-JEEP
Yaw
Yaw
Yawesome
Yaw
Yawesome
Yawesome

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:34 am

Post by Yaw »

Well, the idea is to be story-based rather than combat-based, so this is a good thing. (Not that this means there won't be combat, of course.)

There were a few interesting points brought up about narrative control and PC interaction:

I thought we were pretty good about giving each other the opportunity to respond to one another, and both of us were good enough to "return serve" when we felt the other person had a better idea of how to proceed. But what if a big event is supposed to happen at a specific time? (The nuclear bomb scenario) If a player's story goes over the appointed time for the "bomb" to hit, what's the proper way to proceed? Interrupt them and wipe a few paragraphs off their last post? Rule that everything actually squeezed into a short amount of time right before the "bomb"? Just don't give control to players within around an hour before the time the "bomb" is planned? There are probably a few different ways to handle this, but it's worth having a general idea.

For PC meetings, the original idea was to have a central thread with the times and locations of all players, which could be used to organize players meeting one another. If by fluke one player passed by another at same place and time in "gametime", whoever got there last in "realtime" would be able to see the other, but not interact with them. But there's a problem. Nithrar owns a school, which he can be expected to be at most of the time. Let's say he's been pretty efficient at posting, has been at the school all day, and it's now 4 PM in his thread. Player X decides to randomly walk through the Elvish Quarter by the school, and walks in without planning ahead of time. Time in X's thread is 2 PM. What happens?
Success breeds suspicion

Return to “Old Aamstaad”