Magic: The Gathering,GO TEAM MS!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6250 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2015 2:33 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 6248, Espeonage wrote:The two times I've done without redraft all first place got was whatever the fnm promo was at the time.

Then your store is really, er, "frugal" with their prizes. Most places that don't do redrafts actually give you packs as prizes for doing well.

In post 6244, Thestatusquo wrote:Unless its like a 9$ draft. My store does 9$ drafts on a weekday with redrafts.

Also, Modern Masters drafts will be redrafts a large amount of the time because of the cost.

Yeah. If it's super cheap, redrafts are ok. But regular price drafts with redrafts as "prizes"? No way.

In post 6246, Espeonage wrote:I just don't see the point of playing if there isn't a redraft. There's no reason to even try to come first, just pick whatever is the most value and then leave.

I like, you know, playing Magic too.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #6251 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2015 2:43 am

Post by Klazam »

In post 6248, Espeonage wrote:The two times I've done without redraft all first place got was whatever the fnm promo was at the time.

if this is true, yea, just pick money and walk. no point in paying to play in tournies without prizes.

good stores usually give between 3 to 8 packs to first place finishers
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #6252 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2015 4:28 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 6250, hasdgfas wrote:

Then your store is really, er, "frugal" with their prizes. Most places that don't do redrafts actually give you packs as prizes for doing well.

In post 6244, Thestatusquo wrote:Unless its like a 9$ draft. My store does 9$ drafts on a weekday with redrafts.

Also, Modern Masters drafts will be redrafts a large amount of the time because of the cost.

Yeah. If it's super cheap, redrafts are ok. But regular price drafts with redrafts as "prizes"? No way.

In post 6246, Espeonage wrote:I just don't see the point of playing if there isn't a redraft. There's no reason to even try to come first, just pick whatever is the most value and then leave.

Oh yeah, charging 15 and not prize supporting is absolute horse shit.

I suspect there are almost no places that do that though?
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6253 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2015 5:41 am

Post by bv310 »

Yeah, doing redraft for a weekday draft or a casual thing with 7 of your friends is way better.

Esp, I think your Store Owner is just a cheap-ass if he's not providing prize support at FNM. Even when my old LGS was on the verge of bankruptcy, he still provded 1.5 packs per head to the Prize Pool.
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6254 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2015 6:22 am

Post by Natirasha »

One of the stores I used to show up to in texas closed because they refused to not redraft.

Was so dumb.
Current Avatar: Dr. Contessa(OC, art by @pastelpuffin)
Knight of Cydonia
Knight of Cydonia
Mafia Scum
Knight of Cydonia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6255 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2015 7:05 am

Post by Knight of Cydonia »

Rare redrafting is just such a kick in the teeth. "oh you're happy you opened that neat thing? Well screw you, Spike McPlaysMore gets it because he's been drafting this set nonstop since it came out online, if you want nice things you should just GET GUD NERD" (and to be clear, this is coming from the perspective of a guy who would probably be Spike McPlaysMore in this scenario)
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #6256 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2015 9:43 am

Post by chamber »

In post 6255, Knight of Cydonia wrote:Rare redrafting is just such a kick in the teeth. "oh you're happy you opened that neat thing? Well screw you, Spike McPlaysMore gets it because he's been drafting this set nonstop since it came out online, if you want nice things you should just GET GUD NERD" (and to be clear, this is coming from the perspective of a guy who would probably be Spike McPlaysMore in this scenario)

Rare redrafting tends to have a flatter prize structure. Unless some super mythic is opened the 4 packs or w/e first place is getting is probably more valuable than the cards opened. It's also cheaper so that more drafts can be done. I truly think the 15 dollar draft that pays out 5-3-2-2 or w/e is worse for new players overall. I can't speak to their perception of events though.
Taking a break from the site.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6257 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2015 9:44 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 6255, Knight of Cydonia wrote:Rare redrafting is just such a kick in the teeth. "oh you're happy you opened that neat thing? Well screw you, Spike McPlaysMore gets it because he's been drafting this set nonstop since it came out online, if you want nice things you should just GET GUD NERD" (and to be clear, this is coming from the perspective of a guy who would probably be Spike McPlaysMore in this scenario)

Mhm. I host weekly rare redrafts at work, but it's $8 and everyone knows it's redraft. So while we have some people who run into that situation who are less experienced than others, it's caused several of them to improve significantly since they've starting coming just so that they can have decent picks.
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: any

Post Post #6258 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2015 12:27 pm

Post by Espeonage »

In post 6252, Thestatusquo wrote:
In post 6250, hasdgfas wrote:

Oh yeah, charging 15 and not prize supporting is absolute horse shit.

I suspect there are almost no places that do that though?

I mean there is no point as people aren't picking to make the best deck either which means you have a shittier set of decks.

*$18.

We have a Video Game Association that does $15 drafts at uni though which are much better run.
Don't @ me.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6259 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2015 1:14 pm

Post by Klazam »

.. 18$? Never go again
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6260 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2015 1:21 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 6258, Espeonage wrote:I mean there is no point as people aren't picking to make the best deck either which means you have a shittier set of decks.

*$18.

We have a Video Game Association that does $15 drafts at uni though which are much better run.

You do $18 drafts where the only prize support is rare redrafts? They're ripping you off.

Past like, the first pick of each pack, people are picking to make the best decks even if you don't rare redraft. It's really not that big an issue.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6261 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2015 2:43 pm

Post by bv310 »

Australia gets super-fucked-over on prices, that's brutal.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6262 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2015 2:53 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

I would like everyone to know that I unlocked an achievement today:
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6263 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2015 4:04 pm

Post by bv310 »

Nah man, that Aven Skirmisher wincon is unbeatable.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #6264 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2015 8:50 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

KoC, just saying "the person who does better in the tournament gets better prizes" with more pejoratives doesn't actually make it a bad thing?
Knight of Cydonia
Knight of Cydonia
Mafia Scum
Knight of Cydonia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6265 (ISO) » Sat May 16, 2015 11:26 pm

In post 6264, Thestatusquo wrote:KoC, just saying "the person who does better in the tournament gets better prizes" with more pejoratives doesn't actually make it a bad thing?

Context is a wonderful thing, especially when you consider the context of "$18 drafts with no other prize support"

I mean, if you want to argue that that's how we want to introduce new players to the joys of FNM, that's cool
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #6266 (ISO) » Sun May 17, 2015 4:55 am

Post by PJ. »

I would basically never agree to a red raft under any circumstances. If I knew it was happening before the draft, I wouldn't play and if I somehow missed that it was happening and ended up playing anyway, I'd walk out if my Rares were any sort of valuable and never come back.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #6267 (ISO) » Sun May 17, 2015 5:24 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 6265, Knight of Cydonia wrote:
In post 6264, Thestatusquo wrote:KoC, just saying "the person who does better in the tournament gets better prizes" with more pejoratives doesn't actually make it a bad thing?

Context is a wonderful thing, especially when you consider the context of "$18 drafts with no other prize support"

I mean, if you want to argue that that's how we want to introduce new players to the joys of FNM, that's cool

you're an idiot.
Knight of Cydonia
Knight of Cydonia
Mafia Scum
Knight of Cydonia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6268 (ISO) » Sun May 17, 2015 5:37 am

In post 6267, Thestatusquo wrote:

you're an idiot.

and you are politely invited to insert a large vegetable into your anus
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6269 (ISO) » Sun May 17, 2015 6:11 am

Post by bv310 »

In post 6267, Thestatusquo wrote:

you're an idiot.

I actually agree with KoC here, which might be the first time I've ever said that. Redrafts are not an acceptable prize structure for FNMs, and I'd rather go home and play MTGO than play a redraft-only FNM. As a casual 8-man draft, rare redrafts are great, but not at an event that's supposed to make more people want to come back and support a store. Losing your Ugin because you're not very good at drafting is the kind of thing that makes people quit and never come back.
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6270 (ISO) » Sun May 17, 2015 12:21 pm

Post by Espeonage »

I've taken a lot of sweet stuff from the person that opened it.
Don't @ me.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6271 (ISO) » Sun May 17, 2015 1:00 pm

Post by bv310 »

Yep, and that person likely felt like shit about it. "Git gud, scrub" is not an attitude I want in my game stores :P
Espeonage
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Espeonage
any
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6272 (ISO) » Sun May 17, 2015 1:18 pm

Post by Espeonage »

This is truth.

I feel like the other reason why people at my store like rare redrafts is because a bunch of them fly around to GPs and stuff and want to mimic the draft environment there where the rares don't go first just because they are rares. One of the guys was actually coming 14th at GP Shanghai until he bombed the last three rounds.
Don't @ me.
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6273 (ISO) » Sun May 17, 2015 3:51 pm

Post by Natirasha »

Yeah, I mean, I hate my store here's payout and I always win draft FNM because there are like two players capable of keeping up with me, but I always feel bad that they do 8-4s for draft FNM with a sizable contigent of young kids there.

But that goes back to my store's 'core group' being rotten assholes. I mean, they tried to stop us from having a 10 man FNM draft because 'it messes up the pick order' despite usually hosting 6-7 man pods. They only relented because I called up the store owner at home and informed her that they were about to lose ten people's business lol. So now I'm on their hatelist but that's okay.
Current Avatar: Dr. Contessa(OC, art by @pastelpuffin)
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #6274 (ISO) » Sun May 17, 2015 5:41 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

I'm not saying that redrafts are good. I agree they're bad. I'm specifically annoyed by his attitude that seems to suggest that people who are better in the tournament shouldn't get better prizes. Thats just...how tournaments work. And called people names like "playmore mcspikington" or whatever just shows that he's not good at the game and needs an outlet for his anger and jealousy towards people who are.

Return to “The Arcade”