MafiaWiki Thread

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #169 (isolation #0) » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:21 am

Post by toolenduso »

So I've been messing around with game record templates, as in tables that you use to keep track of all your games and what your roles were and who the mod was and whether you win or lost, etc., etc. It takes a lot of copying and pasting and a lot of going through game by game and gathering little bits of info.

I like these tables on people's wikis because it makes it easier to research meta and easier for each player to keep track of their own games and which player's they've played with. It's kind of like a mafia journal.

So I started thinking of ways to make it easier for players to make their own tables using templates, and I started wondering whether it would be all that difficult to build some sort of interface that would make things easier for people who don't know how to handle the template codes. Like just a bunch of boxes that ask each thing about the game that the code asks, but in a more user-friendly way.

Another thing is that I need to figure out a way to make the template I'm using work better with roles that don't have their own wiki pages. Right now, if it looks for a wiki page that doesn't exist it'll mess up the code and return a bunch of brackets along with the text and no link. Would be better to just have it redlink.

Anyway, this stuff is beyond my very limited coding know-how so I was wondering if anybody has some thoughts on how to accomplish either of those things? Or with the UI idea, whether that would even be worth the work that it would take.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #173 (isolation #1) » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am

Post by toolenduso »

In post 171, wgeurts wrote:As for tool, I can look into making one however it won't be made anytime soon as I've got other things first on my list.

Yeah it's more a pet project than a priority I think.

In post 171, wgeurts wrote:As for fixing the roles link:
Try {{#IFEXIST... Google it and you'll find an article on it along with all the other default template functions.

Cool I'll look into that, thanks.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #174 (isolation #2) » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:33 am

Post by toolenduso »

Haha wow so that turned out to be a far easier fix than I thought it would be. Turns out the template called for the role cell to jump through a bunch of hoops. I just replaced it with |align="center"|[[{{{role}}}]] and now it just redlinks whenever the page doesn't exist.

That ifexist tag is interesting though, could be useful for the future.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #180 (isolation #3) » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:01 pm

Post by toolenduso »

In post 175, wgeurts wrote:http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?tit ... r%27s_page
Here's a link to a new guide explaining how to use some of the cool tables you see on other peoples scummer's pages. Someone feel free to correct my English as there's bound to be a mistake somewhere. If you have anything you want added, ask and I'll add it!

Awesome! I was hoping for something like this.

I've made a version of the table you have in the last section that doesn't include the "my play" star ratings if anyone is interested. Not sure if it's worth adding another section on to the article. That version also fixed the redlinking issue with roles that don't have wiki pages.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #186 (isolation #4) » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:52 am

Post by toolenduso »

One thing I've run into using a modified version of UN's table is that once you get to a certain number of entries the page goes "whoah, hey there, that's too many functions for me. Cut that crap down." And then I had to put half of the games in one section of the page and half in a different section of the page.

I get the feeling from looking around the web that it has something to do with the type of commands in the code, I've seen them referred to as "expensive" functions. So idk if there's a way to retain the function of the table without using so many "expensive" functions.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”