Magic: The Gathering,GO TEAM MS!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #6500 (ISO) » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:04 pm

Post by Klazam »

Legacy is 7 to 8 archetypes, usually, but the pool of viable decks that could win is a good 30 decks or more
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6501 (ISO) » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:24 am

Post by bv310 »

In post 6499, DeathNote wrote:But the top decks are usually 3 to 5 archtypes then?

I think it depends on how you define "archetypes". Modern has about a dozen top decks that fall loosely under the big 5 archetypes (Combo, Control, Aggro, Midrange, and Tempo). http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#online is a good measure of what decks are currently doing well, though it's slow to update sometimes.
PeregrineV
PeregrineV
Survivor
PeregrineV
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6502 (ISO) » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:05 am

Post by PeregrineV »

I will have
Limited Access
on weekends.
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6503 (ISO) » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:06 am

Post by Debonair Danny DiPietro »

In post 6492, InflatablePie wrote:Is Merfolk that common? I feel like I'd see more Bloom Titan (and Suicide Zoo is a deck I'm letting esu try out, not necessarily using it for testing). On the other hand it also seems like a difficult deck to pilot properly with a bunch of inexperienced players attempting to learn their own decks so idk

Bloom Titan looks scary at first but once you get taught the basic lines of play you can probably run it at 70% of optimal play and it's still a very real threat at that level of skill because the deck is that powerful. However, I think grinding out the improvement from 70% to 100% optimum play is probably harder with Bloom Titan than nearly any other Modern deck, maybe the midrange/attrition Jund/Junk variants and Lantern Prison are on the same tier of skill curve. Bloom Titan is what I'm playing at the RPTQ in a week and a half and the only other deck I'd personally consider is Twin and I have Titan built and nearly nothing for Twin so Titan it is.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #6504 (ISO) » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:58 pm

Post by Klazam »

This deck caught my eye

How good is it

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/ar ... 2015-07-17
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6505 (ISO) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:02 am

As a tier 3/casual deck it's probably fine; it has a coherent theme and can generate value. In any sort of competitive environment I'm having a hard time seeing what it matches up well against. Maybe the Lone Missionary and Wall of Omens and relatively non painful mana base would give you game against Burn. But it doesn't get any sort of pressure to force Twin into rushing into a mistake; Jund/Junk would just grind you out; Affinity largely doesn't care other than the two main deck wraths, not enough real interaction for Bloom Titan to be interested.

This is basically the non-budget version of that list and Yuuya took it to a 3-1 result at Worlds.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6506 (ISO) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:38 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 6505, Debonair Danny DiPietro wrote:As a tier 3/casual deck it's probably fine; it has a coherent theme and can generate value. In any sort of competitive environment I'm having a hard time seeing what it matches up well against. Maybe the Lone Missionary and Wall of Omens and relatively non painful mana base would give you game against Burn. But it doesn't get any sort of pressure to force Twin into rushing into a mistake; Jund/Junk would just grind you out; Affinity largely doesn't care other than the two main deck wraths, not enough real interaction for Bloom Titan to be interested.

This is basically the non-budget version of that list and Yuuya took it to a 3-1 result at Worlds.

It actually out-grinds Jund/Abzan very well.

Someone at my LGS has run it for Modern night a couple times, and it's very, VERY successful. The grindy decks basically can't win once Emeria gets online, and Lone Missionary and Wall of Omens are great to help you get there.

Heck, it won the Modern Premier IQ at SCG Milwaukee a month ago. The deck is surprisingly strong compared to how it looks, and is definitely competitively-viable.

I also wouldn't really compare it to Yuuya's worlds deck. It has some similarities, but they're very different decks.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #6507 (ISO) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:50 am

Post by Ythan »

I wonder if there's somewhere left in the world where I can play with people who don't netdeck.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #6508 (ISO) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:54 am

Post by Ythan »

Johnnsylvania
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6509 (ISO) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:13 pm

In post 6506, hasdgfas wrote:
In post 6505, Debonair Danny DiPietro wrote:As a tier 3/casual deck it's probably fine; it has a coherent theme and can generate value. In any sort of competitive environment I'm having a hard time seeing what it matches up well against. Maybe the Lone Missionary and Wall of Omens and relatively non painful mana base would give you game against Burn. But it doesn't get any sort of pressure to force Twin into rushing into a mistake; Jund/Junk would just grind you out; Affinity largely doesn't care other than the two main deck wraths, not enough real interaction for Bloom Titan to be interested.

Someone at my LGS has run it for Modern night a couple times, and it's very, VERY successful. The grindy decks basically can't win once Emeria gets online, and Lone Missionary and Wall of Omens are great to help you get there.

Heck, it won the Modern Premier IQ at SCG Milwaukee a month ago. The deck is surprisingly strong compared to how it looks, and is definitely competitively-viable.

I also wouldn't really compare it to Yuuya's worlds deck. It has some similarities, but they're very different decks.

I guess I have a hard time seeing a nonfetchable land that requires seven other lands to trigger to be a consistent engine; especially when finding that out the Jund/Junk decks should be boarding in their Fulminator Mages. But hey, I could be wrong but I can tell you as a Bogles player I would delight in seeing that across the table from me and I don't think it's got enough disruption maindeck to regularly beat Bloom Titan either. Gonna take more than a single mid-size SCG toruney where he got a dream Top 8 (Living End, Burn, Burn) to convince me to pay attention to the deck.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6510 (ISO) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:29 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 6509, Debonair Danny DiPietro wrote:
In post 6506, hasdgfas wrote:

I guess I have a hard time seeing a nonfetchable land that requires seven other lands to trigger to be a consistent engine; especially when finding that out the Jund/Junk decks should be boarding in their Fulminator Mages. But hey, I could be wrong but I can tell you as a Bogles player I would delight in seeing that across the table from me and I don't think it's got enough disruption maindeck to regularly beat Bloom Titan either. Gonna take more than a single mid-size SCG toruney where he got a dream Top 8 (Living End, Burn, Burn) to convince me to pay attention to the deck.

It'll have bad matchups, as every deck does. For what it's worth, I did feel similarly to you when I first saw the deck, but its resiliency and power has impressed me more every time I've seen it played. I definitely think it's worth trying out a bit, although I'd suggest proxying it up and playing with it a while to see if it's your jam.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #6511 (ISO) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:07 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 6507, Ythan wrote:I wonder if there's somewhere left in the world where I can play with people who don't netdeck.

best way to achieve this is with random formats. Like pick 6 random sets and a random core set, or somesuch.
Taking a break from the site.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6512 (ISO) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:15 pm

Post by bv310 »

Netdecking isn't a bad thing, though. Gives those of us who want to brew a framework to work against.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #6513 (ISO) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:17 pm

Post by Ythan »

It's pretty bad.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #6514 (ISO) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:21 pm

Post by Ythan »

I mean it just creates a really lame environment, it's not like a bad thing to do. Unless I mean if you think contributing just a little bit to a lame environment is bad.
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6515 (ISO) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:43 pm

Netdecking in a healthy format is fine; netdecking in Modern means you could pick up like twenty different decks. Netdecking in RTR/Theros Standard meant you were playing Monoblue, Monoblack, or UW Control.

~~

Hascow (or chamber), either you coming down to GP Indy next weekend?
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #6516 (ISO) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:55 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

hey I netdecked in THS-RTR Standard and played a pretty sweet PyroRed(White) deck

also is netdecking okay if I pick a really off-the-wall brew that almost no one's heard of, or is it only bad if I netdeck something that top8'd a major event
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #6517 (ISO) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:59 pm

Post by Ythan »

I just don't see the appeal of buying card-for-card someone else's deck and using that.
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #6518 (ISO) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:41 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

I use mine as a starting point, goldfish or play against someone else a bit, then adjust accordingly.

It's like buying and upgrading an event deck, except more expensive and using better cards.
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #6519 (ISO) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:44 pm

Post by Ythan »

I knew in my heart that's probably what you were doing. There's still good in you.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #6520 (ISO) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:42 pm

Post by chamber »

In post 6515, Debonair Danny DiPietro wrote:Netdecking in a healthy format is fine; netdecking in Modern means you could pick up like twenty different decks. Netdecking in RTR/Theros Standard meant you were playing Monoblue, Monoblack, or UW Control.

~~

Hascow (or chamber), either you coming down to GP Indy next weekend?

Highly highly unlikey. Didn't even go to Detroit even though its like 40 mins away. Just haven't been playing much magic.
Taking a break from the site.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6521 (ISO) » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:33 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 6517, Ythan wrote:I just don't see the appeal of buying card-for-card someone else's deck and using that.

Some people prefer taking something that's known to be good and then playing it to the best of their abilities because trying to make a competitive deck of their own is a skill they just don't have.

In post 6515, Debonair Danny DiPietro wrote:Hascow (or chamber), either you coming down to GP Indy next weekend?

Nope. It's a bit too far for me to want to travel down there.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #6522 (ISO) » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:23 am

Post by Ythan »

To the best of what abilities, though? What are you actually contributing, or are you just channeling another player like a lame medium?
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6523 (ISO) » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:46 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 6522, Ythan wrote:To the best of what abilities, though? What are you actually contributing, or are you just channeling another player like a lame medium?

Playing a deck and building a deck are VERY different skills. You're contributing your playskill.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #6524 (ISO) » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:47 am

Post by Ythan »

If a deck isn't shit it shouldn't take all that much thought to play? That's my take.

Return to “The Arcade”