Behind the Masks: Bolt from the Blue (GAME OVER!)

Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Behind the Masks: Bolt from the Blue (GAME OVER!)

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:00 pm

Post by Lokiben »

At first glance, it is a modest castle, suitable for a duke or perhaps a large lord. But upon entering the double doors, vaulted ceilings soar high into the air, held by the pillars that dot the massive hall. If a king were to enter, he would likely fall to his knees and weep at the splendor impossible for earthly royalty to achieve. The Palace is no earthly building.

This night, lit only by the speechless full moon, the double doors groan open as a silent procession of fourteen marches through. Each of the masked figures knows that only one will exit alive, and each intends to be that one. The grandeur of the Palace has been stripped away, leaving the vibrant robes of the twelve at odds with the solemn, gray stones.

It began many years ago. A passing mention in a musty tome. A whispered conversation overheard in a tavern. A note left by a missing friend. Each of the fourteen heard about a mystery, a puzzle, a dream: the Palace. For the owner of the Palace was nearing the end of his life, and a palace always needs an owner. The new master needed to be skilled, intelligent, and most importantly, cunning.

Across continents, over seas, through cities they traveled, searching for a hint, just one clue, to location of the Palace. Now, they stand in the belly of the building they sought, staring with covered eyes at the wrinkled old man breathing his last. He inhales, and exhales for the final time.

Behind the fourteen, the double doors groan shut. Not one looks back.
The Game has begun.

Hello, I'm Lokiben, and I'm very new to this forum. I thought I could introduce myself by hosting a little game that I'm sure you'll love.

Behind the Masks is a great game with similar roles and flavor to Mafia, but with very different mechanics. It was developed by a user at another forum that gave me permission to introduce it to here; I claim no credit for creating it.

Basics

-The last player standing is the victor.
-A player’s role is not revealed when they die (of course, if their role was guessed you will know it).
-Players may PM other players during the game as long as the moderator is included. They may not PM during the voting phase.
-Dead players cannot post, but moderator discretion may permit a final post or a pre submitted last will.
-Actions, gifts, and guesses are sent to the moderator.

Phases

-The game itself has four phases.
-Discussion is permitted and encouraged throughout all phases.

Challenge Phase

-The Challenge Phase lasts 72 hours, or until all players have challenged or nochallenged and all pending challenges are resolved.
-The game begins on this phase.
-Players may “
/challenge
” other players to dances or duels.
-Once issued, the challenged player must choose whether to “
/accept
” the challenge or use a “
/deny
” (all players begin the game with a deny).
-If the challenged player does not respond by the end of the Challenge Phase, the challenge is automatically accepted.
-Each player may only challenge once per Challenge Phase (even if the challenge is denied), but can be challenged multiple times.
-If a player does not wish to challenge, they may instead “
/nochallenge
”. This allows the phase to end earlier. Players must still choose whether to accept or deny challenges.
-The results of the challenges will be posted at the end of the Action Phase (see Action Phase).
-The victors of duels and dances are determined by which player’s roles are higher on the respective list (see below), plus any interfering abilities.

Duel

Barbarian
Soldier
Man-At-Arms
Blacksmith
Magician
Peasant
Blackmailer
Poisoner
Actor
Student
Thief
Musician
Royal
Monk (alternates)

Dance

Royal
Thief
Musician
Blackmailer
Peasant
Magician
Poisoner
Soldier
Man-At-Arms
Actor
Student
Blacksmith
Barbarian
Monk (alternates)

Action Phase

-The Action Phase lasts 24 hours, or until all actions have been received.
-Roles with abilities that are used during the Action Phase can PM the moderator to use them. Currently, this is the Blacksmith and Musician.
-At the moderator’s discretion, players may begin selected gifts (see Voting Phase).
-The results for duels and dances will be posted at the end of the Action Phase.

Voting Phase

-The Voting Phase lasts 48 hours, or until a 90% majority has been reached or until all players have voted.
-The Voting Phase will still occur during the first round, but no players will be voted and no execution will occur.
-Any player who lost a duel or dance during the past Challenge Phase is a valid vote target.
-The player with the most votes at the end of the phase will be executed.
-If there is a tie, there is a revote. If the votes are still tied, no player is executed.
-The Man-at-arms, Royal, and Poisoner act during this phase. The Royal may also PM an extra vote.
-Players may also select gifts during this phase (see below).
-For each challenge participated in (no matter if won or lost) the player earns one gift. Gifts are revealed at the end of the Voting Phase.

Gifts

Extra Deny- grants an extra deny to deny a challenge (see Challenge Phase) (each player starts with one deny)
Extra Switch- grants an extra plate switch to swap plates (see Dinner Phase) (each player starts with one switch)
Free Guess- during the upcoming Dinner Phase, you may make a guess as to a player’s role. If you are correct, they will be executed. You may only choose one of this gift per round.
Guess Immunity- you are not a valid guess target during the next Dinner Phase.
Premium Food- you are not a valid Poisoner target during the Voting Phase (you can still be poisoned if your plate is switched)

Dinner Phase

-The Dinner Phase ends after 24 hours, or after all players have switched or noswitched.
-Each player is given a plate of food.
-You may “
/switch
” your food with any of the other players, consuming a plate switch (each player begins with one plate switch).
-You may also secretly switch your plate with another player, agreed to through PMs. Both players must PM me for the secret switch to take place.
-At the end of the phase, each player eats the food in front of them.
-Players who eat poison food will die (excluding the Soldier).
-The Barbarian, Blackmailer, and Monk act during this phase. The Thief may secretly switch plates during this phase.
-In addition, if you received a free guess as a gift, you must use it during the Dinner Phase. If you are correct, that player will be executed at the end of the Dinner Phase. All attempted guesses are revealed at the end of the Dinner Phase.
-If you do not have a free guess, you may still make a guess as to another player’s role as normal. However, if you are incorrect, you will be executed. This is called guessing at the Stake of your Life.

Role Cards

Actor

You are an
Actor
!
A noble in one kingdom. A wanted criminal in another. A celebrated playwright in a faraway land. Your mastery of the art of disguise allows you to be anything to anyone. It is this mastery that led you to take the place of a contestant and enter the Castle.

You may guess at the role of the dead players once each. PM the moderator to use this power. You will be told if your guess is correct or incorrect. If your guess is correct, you may add that role to your repertoire.
Once per game, you may select a role from your repertoire, and become that role. You will inherit all of that role's abilities and List rankings. However, you will still only be guessable as the Actor.
Once you have become that role, you can no longer guess at the roles of dead players.
All players will be notified when the Actor has chosen a role, but they will not be told what that role may be.
You may not become the Poisoner.

Barbarian

You are a
Barbarian
!
Across the land, your name is whispered in fearful corners and shouted from the peaks of mountains. Mighty conquerors seek mighty trophies, and the Palace is certainly a worthy trophy.

Three times per game, during the Dinner Phase, you may intimidate one player, preventing them from challenging, and forcing them to accept all offers for challenges. PM the Moderator to use this power.
If you intimidate a player, the intimidated player will be announced at the beginning of the Challenge Phase.

Blackmailer

You are a
Blackmailer
!
Your hobby is certainly dirty- in that you dig up dirt. Research and preparation are the keys to success. Before you entered the Palace, you were already familiar with every tidbit and secret embedded in the past of the other players- secrets that will make them cringe in fear and do your bidding.

During the Dinner Phase, you may blackmail one player. PM the Moderator to use this power.
Blackmailed players must challenge during the Challenge Phase, or will die. Only the blackmailed player will know that they are blackmailed.

Blacksmith

You are a
Blacksmith
!
Steel flows like water under your steady gaze and steady flame. The pounding of your hammer crafts works of art and workers of war. One of your weapons in a hand guarantees victory.

At the beginning of the Action Phase, you will be notified of the intended winner(s) of the accepted duel(s).
Three times per game, during the Action Phase, you may change the winner of a duel. PM the Moderator to use this power. You may use this ability once on yourself.

Magician

You are a
Magician
!
Why must the magical elite linger among the unpowered civilians? No matter. Your victory is near certain, as you are obvious the the most cunning and clever person here. The other contestants must be grateful that your powers are too flashy .

Once per game, you may choose a player to magically kill. PM the Moderator to use this power.
When you use your power, you will be revealed as the Magician. There are no restrictions on when you may use this power, only that you cannot use it if you are one of the losers in a voting phase.

Man-At-Arms

You are a
Man-At-Arms
!
All these poor people attempting to fool their way to riches, you have, and always has, been an excellent murderer. By detecting weakness in the group, you can spread fear with one simple line - Who done it?

Once per voting phase, you may shoot one person. They will not survive the shot unless they are the Soldier. If you shoot the Soldier, the Soldier will kill you instead and you will be revealed as the Man-At-Arms.
You can only shoot losers of duels/dances.
Additionally, you also gain an additional shot every time you defeat a player in a duel or dance.
The Shooting is silent, meaning it does not reveal your role.
You cannot store more than 1 shot at a time.

Monk

You are a
Monk
!
Some claim that the gods do not exist, but how can you deny their existence when they whisper in your ears? A lifetime of physical and mental discipline has brought you to the peak of aptitude. May the gods forgive you when you unleash your force.

You alternate between the top of the Duel List and bottom of the Dance list, and top of the Dance List and bottom of the Duel List. It is randomized which list you start on top of.
Once per game, during the Dinner Phase, you may pray. PM the Moderator to use this power.
After you pray, you will move to the top of both the dance and duel lists until the next Dinner Phase.

Musician

You are a
Musician
!
Perfect pitch, perfect playing... perfect music. Hands dance across strings and keys as the notes rise and fall. No matter the tune, no matter the tempo, every song ascends to perfection in your grasp. Yet with a single twist, that song becomes an instrument of death.

At the beginning of the Action Phase, you will be notified of the intended winner(s) of the accepted dance(s).
Three times per game, during the Action Phase, you may change the winner of a dance. PM the Moderator to use this power. You may use this ability once on yourself.

Peasant

You are a
Peasant
!
Every day, you go out onto your simple plot of land and farm. But those who look past your grubby face will find a mind as sharp as a tack. The world is an open book to you, as darting eyes pick out nuances in every scenario.

You will be notified whenever the Blacksmith or the Musician interferes in a challenge.
You will be notified of any secret plate switches.
You will be notified of the original target for the poisoner. (Not post-switch)

Poisoner

You are a
Poisoner
!
There is no better color than the pale blue of asphyxiation. Or perhaps a simple white pallor. Hmm, but the rich re- No matter. Your art is that of death, slipped unnoticed into a vein, on the rim of a cup, among familiar foods...

You may poison a player's food during the Voting Phase. If they eat it, they will die during the dinner phase. PM the Moderator to use this power.

Royal

You are a
Royal
!
The blood running through your veins is undeniably royal. An aura of command encircles and influences those who behold you. Combined with a forceful and assertive personality, you can direct others without their knowledge.

Your vote counts as two during the Voting Phase. PM the moderators to cast your second vote secretly.
Once per game, during the Voting Phase, you may force a vote. PM the Moderator to use this power.

Soldier

You are a
Soldier
!
You went off to war a simple peasant boy, unsure of the world. You returned not a man, but a soldier. With guns, war is hell. With magic, war is worse. Your mind was nearly shattered, and your body forever changed.

You are immune to poison. You will know when someone has attempted to poison you.
If you are attacked by the Man-At-Arms, you will kill them instead.

Student

You are a
Student
!
During your college years, you could never confine yourself to a single field of study. Thankfully, a natural knack for learning led to the collection of a wide variety of skills. In the Palace, this ability will serve you well, as duelling and dancing are simply other skills.

Each time you participate in a duel or dance, you move up two slots on the corresponding list. Dead players count as being on the lists.

Thief

You are a
Thief
!
The perfect crime remains unknown. It is a mark of your prowess as a thief that no one had heard your name or seen your exploits. You have stolen from the richest kings, scammed the brightest scholars... Switching plates is like taking candy from a baby.

You may switch player's plates up to five times without their knowledge, every dinner. PM the Moderator to use this power. If the Poisoner dies, you will become the new poisoner. You will inherit the Poisoner's abilities and positions on the Duel and Dance lists, however you will still only be guessable as the Thief.

If you want to sign up, please type /join and give yourself an animal mask. There are 14 spots. This will be my first time moderating a game of this complexity, so bear with me. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me in the thread. Also, if anyone want to help me write the flavor (All of the flavor in the rolecards was taken from the original game), hit me up. Otherwise, I think we can do without it.

Titles Used:

Let the Games Begin!
Let the Meddling Begin!
Nine Lives for Naught
Deep Fried Fish
Guessing Games
Eighteen Lives for Naught
Deep Fried Chicken
Guessing Games Redux
Red Dragon This Game Down
Final Fourplay
Long Spine Versus No Spine
Bolt From the Blue

Player list

Pink
represents the number of Denies each player has, and
orange
represents how many Plate Switches each player has.

WINNER: The Blue Dragon (Maxspir_7)-
Blackmailer

2nd Place: The Giraffe (pablito)-
Peasant

3rd Place: The Mouse (Cybele)-
Monk

4th Place: The Dog (Jeanne11)-
Magician

5th Place: The Red Dragon (vonflare)-
Poisoner

6th Place: The Spider (JDGA)-
Blacksmith

7th Place: The Hornet (Lokalexabender)-
Soldier

8th Place: The Kangaroo (THEYARSK_2017)-
Barbarian

9th Place: The Chicken (Cheery Dog)-
Student

10th Place: The Wolf (lilith2013)-
Actor

11th Place: The White Cat (Tatsuya Kaname)-
Thief

12th Place: The Swordfish (Felissan)-
Musician

13th Place: The Cat (ForWhomTheJellyRolls)-
Royal

14th Place: The Fox (ika)-
Man-At-Arms
Last edited by Lokiben on Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:12 am, edited 74 times in total.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (isolation #1) » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:15 am

Post by Lokiben »

I'm sending out rolecards to those who have already signed up. Keep 'em coming!
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (isolation #2) » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:23 am

Post by Lokiben »

PM=Private Message. Sorry, I keep letting lingo from my other forum slip out.

Edit- Oh, I misunderstood. I'll allow private communication, as long as I'm cced.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (isolation #3) » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:58 pm

Post by Lokiben »

In post 14, vonflare wrote:BTW the 'necromancer' role card is missing from the OP. he appears in the duel list, but you don't list his abilities and he isn't in the dance list.

My bad, the Necromancer was an older role that is replaced with the Actor in this version, at my discretion. I copied and pasted most of the rules from the Behind the Masks Hub, over at the Town of Salem Forums. Link:

http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/vi ... 25&t=29702

There's a couple of ongoing games that you can observe if you want, plus some other roles that have been removed or tweaked.

If I have a good time moderating, and the game goes well, I'll probably do this again. If I don't feel free to.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (isolation #4) » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:31 pm

Post by Lokiben »

There was a single game with a mechanic like that, I believe. I wasn't in it. If teams are something that you all, the players, want, then I can incorporate it.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (isolation #5) » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:47 pm

Post by Lokiben »

In post 19, vonflare wrote:No, you do it how you want to do it. I just read one of the games on that page, so I can definitely be wrong.

You've got me thinking though. Teams could be fun. Maybe it can be shelved for a future game. Also, you should read 5.1, where I'm crushing ATM.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (isolation #6) » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:12 pm

Post by Lokiben »

VucubCaquix wrote:
I just read the entire OP, and I am in awe. This game is genius. The potential for interplay, the balance, everything. I want to meet the person who designed this.

I am actually going to make these cards in real life and play it with my friends.

:oops:

Quoted straight from a PM from VucubCaquix, the creator of Behind the Masks, who saw your comments, vonflare.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #28 (isolation #7) » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:21 am

Post by Lokiben »

Update to the OP: There is no PMing during the Voting Phase.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #32 (isolation #8) » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:32 am

Post by Lokiben »

I'm going to try one of two things to fill up the last three spots: Convince my friends in real life to create mafiascum accounts and play, or convince forumers who have already played the game to come over here and act as ICs maybe.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #37 (isolation #9) » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:30 pm

Post by Lokiben »

I'm going to shorten those to the Blue Dragon and Hornet, for my convenience guys.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39 (isolation #10) » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:06 am

Post by Lokiben »

The game will start today, one way or another.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #40 (isolation #11) » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:50 am

Post by Lokiben »

Alright! We are full! Ned accidentally registered as being under 13, so he will send all his actions through me until that issue is resolved. There are a few new role tweaks and mechanics that I want to test out this game, so I've edited the abilities of the Barbarian and the Man-At-Arms ever so slightly. The Man-At-Arms does not begin with one shot, and the Barbarian intimidates players into accepting all challenges, rather than denying. Here are the updated rolecards:

Barbarian

You are a
Barbarian
!
Across the land, your name is whispered in fearful corners and shouted from the peaks of mountains. Mighty conquerors seek mighty trophies, and the Palace is certainly a worthy trophy.

Three times per game, during the Dinner Phase, you may intimidate one player, preventing them from challenging, and forcing them to accept all offers for challenges. PM the Moderator to use this power.
If you intimidate a player, the intimidated player will be announced at the beginning of the Challenge Phase.
[/quote]

Man-At-Arms

You are a
Man-At-Arms
!
All these poor people attempting to fool their way to riches, you have, and always has, been an excellent murderer. By detecting weakness in the group, you can spread fear with one simple line - Who done it?

Once per voting phase, you may shoot one person. They will not survive the shot unless they are the Soldier. If you shoot the Soldier, the Soldier will kill you instead and you will be revealed as the Man-At-Arms.
You can only shoot losers of duels/dances.
Additionally, you also gain an additional shot every time you defeat a player in a duel or dance.
The Shooting is silent, meaning it does not reveal your role.
You cannot store more than 1 shot at a time.

Additionally, players can now secretly swap plates during the dinner phase, if both players consent to it. The Peasant will know when this happens.

To challenge another player to a duel or dance, type "/challenge___ to a ___" in bold. If you wish to not challenge, type "/nochallenge". Type "/accept" or "deny" to accept or deny challenges. Without further ado, let the games begin!
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #43 (isolation #12) » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:57 am

Post by Lokiben »

Pending Challenges

The Dragon challenges the Spider to a dance
The Swordfish challenges the White Cat to a dance

No Response

The Mouse
The Cat
The Chicken
The Fox
The Spider
The Wolf
The Dog
The Giraffe
The White Cat
The Blue Dragon
The Hornet
The Kangaroo

Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #50 (isolation #13) » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:57 am

Post by Lokiben »

In post 45, Felissan wrote:
In post 43, Lokiben wrote:
The Swordfish challenges the White Cat to a pants

Hey, you're writing in alexandrines! Though the rhymes could use some work.

Better?

Speaking for the Kangaroo:
"I challenge the Blue Dragon to a duel"

Set Challenges:

The Blue Dragon will duel with the Chicken

Pending Challenges:

The Swordfish challenges the White Cat to a dance
The Mouse challenges the Hornet to a duel
The Fox challenges the Giraffe to a duel
The Kangaroo challenges the Blue Dragon to a duel

No response:

The Cat
The Chicken
The Spider
The Wolf
The Dog
The Giraffe
The White Cat
The Hornet

Remember, if you don't wish to challenge, type
"/nochallenge"

Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #59 (isolation #14) » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:35 pm

Post by Lokiben »

In post 51, ika wrote:
mod is it possible to put names next to the masks as well? it would help em realize who is who

I'm going to keep usernames out of the challenges, to help enforce the flavor, and to get you all to refer to each other by your masks rather than your usernames. It won't take long for the associations between usernames and masks to develop anyway. However, I'll update at the end of every phase on each player's gifts and status. It will be formatted as:

The Mantis Shrimp (Lokiben)- 1 Deny/1 Free guess/ 0 Plate switches

Set Challenges:

The Swordfish will dance with the White Cat
The Mouse will duel with the Hornet
The Fox will duel with the Giraffe

Pending Challenges:

The Red Dragon challenges the Spider to a dance
The Kangaroo challenges the Blue Dragon to a duel
The Wolf challenges the Red Dragon to a duel
The Giraffe challenges the White Cat to a duel

No response:

The Cat
The Chicken
The Spider
The Dog
The White Cat
The Hornet

Remember, if you don't wish to challenge, type
"/nochallenge"
Last edited by Lokiben on Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #61 (isolation #15) » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:10 pm

Post by Lokiben »

In post 60, Maxspir_7 wrote:Wait, so I'm already in a duel, but I've been challenged to another duel...

You may only challenge one person, but you can accept as many challenges as you like.

Remember to CC me in all PMs, guys.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #70 (isolation #16) » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:39 pm

Post by Lokiben »

Not sure if this needs to be said, but you earn a gift for each challenge you participate in, not each type of challenge.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #77 (isolation #17) » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:32 pm

Post by Lokiben »

In post 76, Cybele wrote:/guess: The Dragon is the Poisoner.

There's two dragons, plus you can only guess during the Dinner phase, and unless you get a free guess as a gift, you lose your life if you guess incorrectly, just a reminder.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #88 (isolation #18) » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:57 pm

Post by Lokiben »

In post 78, Cybele wrote:The two dragons are:
The Dragon, and
The Blue Dragon.
Not my fault that the names chosen are confusingly similar, but I was clear enough in which I meant.
Also, I was just joking. :P Not a real guess.

Well, maybe I'll be the type of parent who takes every joke and turns it into a lesson because it builds character even though the kids have heard this one before.

In post 83, lilith2013 wrote:
In post 0, Lokiben wrote:Gifts are revealed at the end of the Voting Phase.
Also, in order to prevent confusion on who is what, I propose we sign our posts with images of our respective animals (or masks)!

THAT is a cool idea.

Set Challenges:

The Kangaroo will duel with the Blue Dragon
The Hornet will dance with the Fox
The Wolf will duel with the Red Dragon
The Red Dragon will dance with the Spider
The Giraffe will duel with the White Cat

Pending Challenges:

The Chicken challenges the Dog to a dance
The Spider challenges the Red Dragon to a dance

No challenge:

The White Cat

No response:

The Cat
The Dog
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #102 (isolation #19) » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:50 am

Post by Lokiben »

In post 97, vonflare wrote:When I run this game (and I will eventually) I am going to heavily edit the thief role to make it less unpredictable and game-controlling.

I'd say the Thief is far from game-controlling. All he can really do for himself if ensure he isn't poisoned, and he can only get so far with that before he reveals himself. There's plenty of other ways to die, chiefly executions and being guessed, but also the Man-At-Arms, Magician or Blackmailer. I don't think he makes the Dinner Phase any more unpredictable than it already is for anyone except the Poisoner. Plus, with roles like the Monk, Student, Actor, Blacksmith and Musician, you can't take much of anything without a grain of salt. It only acts during the Dinner Phase, which is way less important than the Challenge Phase, so I wouldn't call it very game-controlling either. The Man-At-Arms and Poisoner are the two most powerful roles, in my opinion, but they were designed that way.

That being said, it's still a young game, and there's a lot of tweaking and testing (This is the first ever game with the Actor, or this version of the Barbarian). So, if you feel like you've got a great role that you want to test, by all means don't let me discourage you. This is just my two cents on the Thief.

In post 99, Jeanne11 wrote:But I already accepted......

You can only challenge once, but you can accept as many challenges as you are offered.

Set Challenges:

The Kangaroo will duel with the Blue Dragon
The Hornet will dance with the Fox
The Wolf will duel with the Red Dragon
The Red Dragon will dance with the Spider
The Giraffe will duel with the White Cat
The Chicken will dance with the Dog

Denied Challenges:

The Cat was denied a dance by the Dog

No challenge:

The White Cat
The Dog (
I assume? Next time an explicit
"/no challenge"
would be nice.
)

It is now Action Phase 1.

I will PM the expected winners of the duels and dances to the Blackmailer and Musician shortly. Since this is the first round, no one is being executed and we will skip the Voting Phase. The Poisoner, which normally acts during the Voting Phase, will act now.

Also, now is the time for everyone to send in their gifts! You can pick one gift for every challenge you participate in. Please remember that Free Guesses, Guess Immunity, and Premium Food are consumed immediately (see what I did there?), meaning that you must use them during the upcoming Dinner Phase. PM your gift choices to me. Gifts will be announced at the end of the Action Phase, which ends in 24 hours. If you don't PM me, you receive nothing.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #104 (isolation #20) » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:54 pm

Post by Lokiben »

In post 103, Maxspir_7 wrote:
In post 102, Lokiben wrote:
I will PM the expected winners of the duels and dances to the Blackmailer and Musician shortly. Since this is the first round, no one is being executed and we will skip the Voting Phase. The Poisoner, which normally acts during the Voting Phase, will act now.

*Blacksmith, right? Not blackmailer? Sorry, just want to be sure.

Correct.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #106 (isolation #21) » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:24 am

Post by Lokiben »

I have a busy day today, and won't be able to update until I get home in about ten hours. As of now, I still need gifts from the Cat, Fox (You only submitted one, you can take another gift, bud), Dog, Giraffe, Swordfish, Blue Dragon, and Kangaroo.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #109 (isolation #22) » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:18 am

Post by Lokiben »

In post 108, ForWhomTheJellyRolls wrote:I, The Cat didn't end up in a challenge, I didn't think I got any gifts.

You're right, my bad. Just waiting on a couple more people :]
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #111 (isolation #23) » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:26 pm

Post by Lokiben »

I've decided to switch my Mod color from red to green, so I can use the colors red and blue for duels and dances. Without further ado:

The Blue Dragon has won the duel against the Chicken

The Swordfish has lost the dance against the White Cat

The Mouse has lost the duel against the Hornet

The Fox has won the duel against the Giraffe

The Kangaroo has won the duel against the Blue Dragon

The Hornet has won the dance against the Fox

The Wolf has lost the duel against the Red Dragon

The Red Dragon has won the dance against the Spider

The Giraffe has lost the duel against the White Cat

The Chicken has lost the dance against the Dog

The Spider has lost the dance against the Red Dragon

Pink
orange

1. The Mouse (Cybele)-
/

2. The Cat (ForWhomTheJellyRolls)-
/

3. The Chicken (Cheery Dog)-
/
/Guess Immunity and Premium Food
4. The Fox (ika)-
/
/Free Guess and Guess Immunity
5. The Spider (JDGA)-
/
/Free Guess
6. The Wolf (lilith2013)-
/
/Free Guess
7. The Dog (Jeanne11)-
/
/Premium Food
8. The Red Dragon (vonflare)-
/
/Free Guess, Guess Immunity, and Premium Food
9. The Giraffe (pablito)-
/
/Premium Food
10. The White Cat (Tatsuya Kaname)-
/

11. The Swordfish (Felissan)-
/

12. The Blue Dragon (Maxspir_7)-
/
/Premium Food
13. The Hornet (Lokalexabender)-
/
/Guess Immunity
14. The Kangaroo (THEYARSK_2017)-
/

It is now the Dinner Phase! Plate switches, public or private, will happen in the order that they are announced/PMed to me. The Dinner Phase will end after everyone has declared that they will
"/switch plates with ____"
or
"/noswitch"
. Roles including the Thief, Barbarian, Blackmailer, and Monk (if they wish to use their prayer) act during this phase. If you have a Free Guess, please submit your guess to me by PM. Remember, you can't guess at the roles of anyone with Guess Immunity (The Chicken, Fox, and Hornet)

Finally, I have created a Quicktopic Dead Chat, where dead players can speculate over the game and the roles of the living players, and pool together information. I will not reveal the everyone's roles or any other information there. When you die, I will PM you the link.
Last edited by Lokiben on Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:51 am, edited 7 times in total.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #114 (isolation #24) » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:36 pm

Post by Lokiben »

In post 113, Cybele wrote:
lokiben wrote:Free Guess- during the upcoming Dinner Phase, you may make a guess as to a player’s role. If you are correct, they will be executed.
You may only choose one of this gift per round.
How does The Fox have two guesses?

I fucked up, that's how. It's supposed to be one Free Guess and Guess Immunity. Fixed now.

P-Edit: Don't worry, I've triple-checked everything else
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #126 (isolation #25) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:57 am

Post by Lokiben »

In post 125, Cheery Dog wrote:I don't remember asking for a free guess

/noswitch

Fixed ><

In post 120, JDGA wrote:Wait, it looks like the challenge I made was dropped mysteriously? Yet I still got two gifts...
/noswitch

Fixed >.< Red Dragon, you can submit another gift if you want. What I CAN guarantee is that the winners of all the challenges are correct.

In post 0, Lokiben wrote:This will be my first time moderating a game of this complexity, so bear with me.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #130 (isolation #26) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:28 am

Post by Lokiben »

Just waiting on the Swordfish.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #133 (isolation #27) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:29 am

Post by Lokiben »

The Red Dragon has selected guess immunity.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #134 (isolation #28) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:54 am

Post by Lokiben »

In post 130, Lokiben wrote:
Just waiting on the Swordfish.

I lied; I'm also waiting for the Spider and Fox to submit their Free Guesses.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #137 (isolation #29) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:09 pm

Post by Lokiben »

In post 136, ika wrote:ill send a new one

It cannot be just be who tries to send a message sometimes, clicks submit, and it goes to the preview instead. Then you close the tab because you think it's sent, but it never sent, it just previewed.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #138 (isolation #30) » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:25 pm

Post by Lokiben »

If anyone saw the post from a few hours ago that I have since deleted, please be honest and PM me.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #139 (isolation #31) » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:05 am

Post by Lokiben »

In post 138, Lokiben wrote:
If anyone saw the post from a few hours ago that I have since deleted, please be honest and PM me.

In explanation for what happened last night: I made a post in which two people died during the Dinner Phase. One of those deaths should not have happened, since a person whose role was guessed had Guess Immunity. I deleted the post once Bowser, who has been observing the game, pointed the mistake out to me, but a few of you had already seen the post by then. The Fox has kindly agreed to let the game continue with is death, and is being compensated by either having access to as much of the behind the scenes information as he would like, or being the first to replace in, should someone drop out. I take full responsibility for what happened, and I'm grateful the Fox is allowing the game to continue by accepting his death. I'm reposting the deleted post below.
Last edited by Lokiben on Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #140 (isolation #32) » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:05 am

Post by Lokiben »

This post is a wild ride, from start to finish.

Guesses

The Wolf guesses that the Spider is the Soldier! They are incorrect!
The Red Dragon guesses that the Hornet is the Royal! They are incorrect!
The Fox guesses that the Cat is the Thief! They are incorrect!
The Spider guesses that the Fox is the Man-At Arms!
They are correct!

The Fox's mask cracks and falls to the floor, revealing the face of a man who knows his time has come. The Man-At-Arms locks eyes with the Spider, and nods. Then he pulls out a luger and paints the wall with his own brains.

The Fox has been revealed as the Man-At-Arms!

The Dinner

The Hornet switches plates with the Blue Dragon
The White Cat switches plates with the Blue Dragon

The thirteen hesitantly begin to eat. No one talks, but they all pay full attention to each other, waiting for something to happen; for someone to make a move. They all know the Fox was the first, but would not be the last. The tension is so palpable, one of the guests could reach out and cut through it with their butter knife if they so chose. There's a cough from behind one of the masks; no one can tell from whom. There's a sneeze, followed by a few muttered "Bless you"s. Cups and plates tinker. There's another cough. A fork clatters against the cold marble floor. Instead of reaching down to retrieve their dropped utensil, the Cat dissolves into a hacking fit. The Mouse, sitting next to the Cat, offers the water pitcher to the Cat, and the Cat readily accepts it. He takes a long drink, but coughs again. The water spews across the banquet, staining the table cloth scarlet with blood. The Cat stumbles out of their chair, and falls to the floor, hacking and wheezing all the way.

Not one of the remaining twelve leaves their seats to help the dying man. They all know the price that the magnificent house requires in blood.

The Cat has been poisoned!

Player list

Pink
orange

1. The Mouse (Cybele)-
/

Poisoned

/

4. The Fox (ika)-
Revealed as the Man-At-Arms

5. The Spider (JDGA)-
/

/

7. The Dog (Jeanne11)-
/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

Challenge Phase

It is now the challenge phase again. Remember, if you don't wish to challenge, please enter
"/nochallenge"

The Hornet has been intimidated!

The Hornet cannot challenge, and cannot deny any challenges sent his way.

Finally, CuddlyCaucasian has answered my call for a Cohost. Please PM your actions to him as well as me. Hopefully he can catch my fuckups before they make it to the thread from here on out.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #141 (isolation #33) » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:02 am

Post by Lokiben »

*Pokes thread* Post your challenges
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #150 (isolation #34) » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:12 am

Post by Lokiben »

Set challenges:

The Swordfish will dance with the Hornet
The Blue Dragon will dance with the Hornet
The Spider will duel with the Dog

Denied challenges:

The White Cat was denied a dance by the Spider

Pending challenges:

The Giraffe challenges the Kangaroo to a dance

No challenges:

The Dog
The Hornet

No response:

The Mouse
The Chicken
The Wolf
The Red Dragon
The Kangaroo
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #164 (isolation #35) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:55 am

Post by Lokiben »

In post 162, Cheery Dog wrote:are votes fixed once issued?

Meh
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #169 (isolation #36) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:17 am

Post by Lokiben »

Voting targets:

The Hornet (0 votes)

The Dog (0 votes)

The Wolf (1 vote)- The Dog

The Kangaroo (0 votes)

The Giraffe (1 vote)- The Swordfish

The Swordfish (1 vote)- The Giraffe

No vote cast:

The Mouse, The Chicken, The Spider, The Wolf, The Red Dragon, The White Cat, The Blue Dragon, The Hornet, The Kangaroo
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #173 (isolation #37) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:10 pm

Post by Lokiben »

In post 0, Lokiben wrote:
-Players may PM other players during the game as long as the moderator is included.
They may not PM during the voting phase.

~You all know who you are~
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #176 (isolation #38) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:27 pm

Post by Lokiben »

Up for execution:

The Hornet (0 votes)
The Dog (0 votes)
The Wolf (1 vote)- The Dog
The Kangaroo (0 votes)
The Swordfish (3 votes)- The Giraffe, the Hornet, the Mouse

No vote:

The Chicken, The Spider, The Wolf, The Red Dragon, The White Cat, The Blue Dragon, The Kangaroo

Gifts are still needed from the Kangaroo.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #179 (isolation #39) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:49 pm

Post by Lokiben »

In post 177, THE_YARSK2017 wrote:/free deny

Your gift is meant to be private, but if you're OK with this then OK. Also, you get two gifts. Getchyo head in the game Ned.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #192 (isolation #40) » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:06 am

Post by Lokiben »

The Voting Phase at 10 PM EST; the Red Dragon has until then to vote, and the Spider has until then to choose a gift.

Up for execution:

The Hornet (0 votes)
The Dog (1 vote)- The Wolf
The Wolf (2 votes)- The Dog, the Chicken
The Kangaroo (0 votes)
The Swordfish (6 votes)- The Giraffe, the Hornet, the Mouse, the Kangaroo, the White Cat, the Spider

Abstaining:

The Blue Dragon

No response:

The Red Dragon
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #193 (isolation #41) » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:41 am

Post by Lokiben »

In post 173, Lokiben wrote:
In post 0, Lokiben wrote:
-Players may PM other players during the game as long as the moderator is included.
They may not PM during the voting phase.

~You all know who you are~
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #206 (isolation #42) » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:19 pm

Post by Lokiben »

Whichever player has the most votes when the 48 hours expire at 10 PM, or whenever the Red Dragon casts his vote/abstains, will be executed. If there's a tie, then there will be a revote. Another tie, and we will just go to the Dinner Phase. *Grabs popcorn*
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #210 (isolation #43) » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:45 pm

Post by Lokiben »

In post 205, CuddlyCaucasian wrote:
Up for execution:

The Hornet (0 votes)
The Dog (0 vote)-
The Wolf (4 votes)- The Dog, the Chicken, the Swordfish, the Mouse
The Kangaroo (0 votes)
The Giraffe (0 votes)-
The Swordfish (5 votes)- The Giraffe, the Kangaroo, the Spider, the Wolf, the Hornet

Abstaining:

The Blue Dragon
The White Cat

No response:

The Red Dragon

Sixteen minutes left.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #211 (isolation #44) » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:07 pm

Post by Lokiben »

A trapdoor drops open beneath the Swordfish and down he goes. The light of the castle interior is reduced quickly to just a speck as blackness rushes up from all sides. The Swordfish can't see anything, but he can hear the howling of the wind, and feel the air resistance. He screams, because he is not ready for the end.
But the end never comes. The Swordfish has screamed his throat raw and then some, but he has not found the bottom of the shaft. He knows he is falling because he can feel the air pushing back, and hear his cloak flapping in the wind. But this shaft has no bottom for him to hit.

Hours pass. The Swordfish grows hungry. Days pass before the Swordfish realizes that he can see. There is a light. But it's not coming from above, it's coming from below. The Swordfish musters one last scream as he hits the mantle of the Earth, and is incinerated instantly.

The Swordfish has been executed!

It is now the Dinner Phase. PM Cuddly and I if you have an action to perform, or to submit your guesses. And don't forget to switch/noswitch.

Player list

Pink
orange

1. The Mouse (Cybele)-
/

Poisoned

/
4. The Fox (ika)-

5. The Spider (JDGA)-
/

/
/Free Guess
7. The Dog (Jeanne11)-
/
/Guess Immunity
/

/
/Guess Immunity
/

Executed

/
/Free Guess
/
/
Last edited by Lokiben on Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #214 (isolation #45) » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:42 am

Post by Lokiben »

Switches:

The Spider will switch plates with the Hornet

No Switches:

The Dog

No Response:

The Mouse
The Chicken
The Wolf
The Red Dragon
The Giraffe
The White Cat
The Blue Dragon
The Hornet
The Kangaroo

Still need guesses from the Chicken, the Blue Dragon, and the Hornet.
Last edited by Lokiben on Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #216 (isolation #46) » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:44 am

Post by Lokiben »

Speaking for the Kangaroo, who is on the road and doesn't want to use up his data:

"/switch plates with the Chicken"
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #233 (isolation #47) » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:48 am

Post by Lokiben »

Possible Titles:

18 Lives for Naught
Shakespeare in the Bark (
Wolves bark, and the Wolf was the Actor
)
A Wolf in Shake's Clothing?
Prime Time Nine
Cat Caught Covertly Carrying Cuisine at Coveted Castle
Guessing Games Redux
Nine for Mortal Men Doomed to Die, One for the Dark Lord On His Dark Throne (
This one is from the Lord of the Rings epigraph, but it works pretty well here
)
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #235 (isolation #48) » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:37 am

Post by Lokiben »

In post 234, vonflare wrote:Guessing Games Redux

It's done.

You can challenge now, everyone.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #240 (isolation #49) » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:15 pm

Post by Lokiben »

I'm going to make an executive decision here and ask that everyone get their challenges in before the final 24 hours of the challenge phase begin. That way, everyone has sufficient time to respond to any challenges thrown their way. Don't forget, "
/nochallenge
"s are still a thing.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #247 (isolation #50) » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:24 am

Post by Lokiben »

In post 239, Maxspir_7 wrote:
/challenge the Red Dragon to a dance

It's the dance of dragons (any ASoIaF fans?)

Boi
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #252 (isolation #51) » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:43 am

Post by Lokiben »

Set Challenges:

The Dog will dance with the Chicken
The Mouse will dance with the Chicken
The Spider will duel with the Dog
The Chicken will duel with the Giraffe

Denies Challenges:

The Hornet was denied a duel by the Spider
The Blue Dragon was denied a dance by the Red Dragon

Pending challenges:

The Giraffe challenges the Hornet to a dance

No response:

The Red Dragon
The Kangaroo
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #264 (isolation #52) » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:48 am

Post by Lokiben »

Up for execution:

The Chicken (2 votes)- The Spider, the Red Dragon
The Dog (0 votes)
The Spider (0 votes)

No vote:

The Chicken, the Dog, the Blue Dragon, the Hornet, the Kangaroo, the Giraffe, the Mouse

Still need gifts from the Dog and Giraffe.
Last edited by Lokiben on Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #268 (isolation #53) » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:35 am

Post by Lokiben »

Up for execution:

The Chicken (5 votes)- The Spider, the Red Dragon, the Kangaroo, the Giraffe, the Mouse
The Dog (0 votes)
The Spider (0 votes)

No vote:

The Chicken, the Dog, the Blue Dragon, the Hornet

Still need gifts from the Dog.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #271 (isolation #54) » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:41 am

Post by Lokiben »

Up for execution:

The Chicken (5 votes)- The Spider, the Red Dragon, the Kangaroo, the Giraffe, the Mouse, the Hornet, the Blue Dragon
The Dog (0 votes)
The Spider (0 votes)

No vote:

The Chicken, the Dog

Remember, no abstaining. Just under four hours left.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #274 (isolation #55) » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:26 pm

Post by Lokiben »

Given the circumstances, I'll allow it.

Up for execution:

The Chicken (9 votes)- The Spider, the Red Dragon, the Kangaroo, the Giraffe, the Mouse, the Hornet, the Blue Dragon, the Dog, the Chicken
The Dog (0 votes)
The Spider (0 votes)[/area]

Several men and women decked out in white aprons and tall hats burst into the hall from a side entrance. The Chicken protests as they are grabbed by the arms and led back towards the kitchen. Half an hour later, the cooks return to serve the dinner. There are heaping salads, and fresh-baked pastries, and an enormous platter of fried chicken in the middle of the table.
[/color]

The Chicken has been executed!

1. The Mouse (Cybele)-
/
/Premium Food
Poisoned

Executed

4. The Fox (ika)-

5. The Spider (JDGA)-
/
/Free Guess
Revealed as the Actor

7. The Dog (Jeanne11)-
/
/Guess Immunity and Premium Food
/
/Guess Immunity
/
/Free Guess
Revealed as the Thief

Executed

/

/

/

It is now the Dinner Phase. You should all know the drill by now.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #282 (isolation #56) » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:57 am

Post by Lokiben »

Switches:

No Switches:

The Spider
The Hornet
The Red Dragon
The Dog
The Blue Dragon
The Giraffe
The Mouse

No Response:

The Kangaroo
Last edited by Lokiben on Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #284 (isolation #57) » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:03 am

Post by Lokiben »

In post 283, Cybele wrote:They have no plate switches saved up is why.

:facepalm:
Thanks. Fixed.

The Kangaroo wrote:
/noswitch

The next phase will proceed shortly.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #285 (isolation #58) » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:42 am

Post by Lokiben »

Guesses

The Giraffe guesses that the Kangaroo is the Barbarian!
They are correct!

The Spider guesses that the Hornet is the Soldier!
They are correct!

The Spider makes eye contact with the Giraffe. The Giraffe nods. The two of them leap from their seats in unison, and catch the Kangaroo and Hornet by surprise by throwing them out of their chairs. The masks fly off and clatter across the marble floor. Unlike the Fox, Wolf, and White Cat before them, the Kangaroo and Hornet do not go quietly. The two of them stand up to engage their attackers, one with a newly revealed green beret, and the other with a wide, brutish face, and unkempt hair. The Barbarian lets out a gutteral growl, and charges at the Giraffe. The Soldier follows suit against the Spider. As the four of them exchange kicks and blows, the other guests form a ring around them, egging them on. Several minutes into the brawl, the Soldier swings at the Spider, only to hit air, as the Spider ducks, and then throws her whole weight into the Soldier. Before the Soldier can regain his balance, the Spider has pushed him all the way up against one of the stained-glass windows inset in the walls of the palace. Instead of landing a deciding blow, the Spider ducks again, as the Barbarian, thrown by the Giraffe, sails over the Spider's head, and into the Soldier. The glass gives, and the two of them tumble through the opening and out of view.

The Kangaroo has been revealed as the Barbarian!
The Hornet has been revealed as the Soldier!

The Spider and Giraffe lean against the window sill, panting. The Giraffe gingerly touches a scuff on his head, and decides it's not worth fretting over. The Spider feels her bruised ribs, and her bleeding nose. She frowns. She didn't remember the Hornet ever landing a blow to her face. This is the last thought that crosses her mind. She pitches forward and follows the other two victims of the dinner out the window.

The Spider has been poisoned!

Player list

Pink
orange

1. The Mouse (Cybele)-
/

Poisoned

Executed

4. The Fox (ika)-

5. The Spider (JDGA)-
Poisoned

Revealed as the Actor

7. The Dog (Jeanne11)-
/

/

/

Revealed as the Thief

Executed

/

Revealed as the Soldier

Revealed as the Barbarian

(Holy shit, I've never seen three people guessed in one game before, let alone five.)

Challenge Phase

It is now the challenge phase again. Remember, if you don't wish to challenge, please enter
"/nochallenge"

Titles?
Last edited by Lokiben on Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #288 (isolation #59) » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:22 pm

Post by Lokiben »

In post 287, CuddlyCaucasian wrote:
Correction in the post: the Spider guessed the Hornet's identity and the Giraffe guessed the Kangaroo. Those two are still eliminated though; sorry for the confusion.

:oops: Fixed
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #299 (isolation #60) » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:38 am

Post by Lokiben »

Set challenges:

The Blue Dragon will dance with the Red Dragon
The Dog will duel with the Giraffe
The Giraffe will dance with the Red Dragon
The Mouse will duel with the Dog

Denied challenges:

The Red Dragon was denied a duel by the Blue Dragon

It is now the Action Phase. Blacksmith and Musician will be PMed shortly. The rest of you, sit tight, or feel free to submit your gifts early.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #319 (isolation #61) » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:32 pm

Post by Lokiben »

In post 318, Cybele wrote:Actually, the poisoner selects who to poison during the voting phase, so it
may
be possible that during the next dinner phase, someone's food is still poisoned. Mods will have to confirm or deny, because the rules aren't explicit.

If a Poisoner is executed, their plate poisoning still goes through, yeah.

Lost my first game that way

Gifts still needed from the Red Dragon and Giraffe
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #331 (isolation #62) » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:39 am

Post by Lokiben »

Up for execution:

The Dog (2 votes)- The Blue Dragon, the Giraffe
The Giraffe (2 votes)- The Dog, the Mouse
The Red Dragon (0 votes)

No vote:

The Red Dragon

The Red Dragon can take one more gift.

If the votes are still tied when the 48 hours expire (in roughly three and a half hours), there will be a revote.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #332 (isolation #63) » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:24 am

Post by Lokiben »

There will now be a revote. If there is another tie, we will go straight to the Dinner Phase.

Up for execution:

The Dog (0 votes)
The Giraffe (0 votes)
The Red Dragon (0 votes)

No vote:

The Mouse, the Dog, Red Dragon, the Giraffe, the Blue Dragon
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #339 (isolation #64) » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:33 am

Post by Lokiben »

1. The Mouse (Cybele)-
/
/
Guess Immunity

7. The Dog (Jeanne11)-
/
/
Guess Immunity
and Premium Food
/
/
Free Guess
and Premium Food
/
/
Guess Immunity

Failed. So.
Hard.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #342 (isolation #65) » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:02 am

Post by Lokiben »

Plate Switches:

No Switches:

No Response:

The Mouse
The Dog
The Giraffe
The Blue Dragon
Last edited by Lokiben on Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #349 (isolation #66) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:58 am

Post by Lokiben »

The Dinner

The Mouse switches plates with the Dog.
The Blue Dragon switches plates with the Mouse.

Those with the premium food much away readily and happily. The Mouse and Dog, however, are much less anxious to finish their meals. Slowly and hesitantly, they sample the mashed potatoes, and then the meatloaf, and then the babaganoush. Feeling no reaction, they clean their plates and excuse themselves from the table to prepare for the upcoming Challenge Phase.

No one was poisoned.

It's now the Challenge Phase!

Set Challenges:

No Response:

The Mouse
The Dog
The Giraffe
The Blue Dragon
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #352 (isolation #67) » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:13 pm

Post by Lokiben »

Set Challenges:

The Giraffe will dance with the Dog

No Challenge:

The Dog

No Response:

The Mouse
The Blue Dragon
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #367 (isolation #68) » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:20 am

Post by Lokiben »

Just need a gift from the Giraffe before kicking off the next phase.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #368 (isolation #69) » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:32 pm

Post by Lokiben »

Sorry for the delay.

A bell rings from somewhere closeby. The Dog perks up. Then an old man with a white handlebar mustache enters the hall, with a small tin plate in one hand, and a bell in the other. The man is translucent, and doesn't walk so much as glide. He did not come in through any of the several entrances, but through the wall, rather. The Dog begins to bark excitedly at the old man as he lays down the tin on the floor, and waves his hand over it. The tin suddenly fills to the brim with glowing, ethereal kibble. The Dog loses it.

The Dog runs around the hall, yapping excitedly, before coming to a stop in front of the ghost. She eagerly snarfs down the magical dog food, and and returns to racing around the length of the hall. The man smiles. He waves his hand over the tin again, and it fills to the brim, just like before. Then he rings the bell once again. The clear, high, unwavering pitch draws the Dog's attention back. The Dog again rushes over, and empties the bowl as quickly as it was filled, and rushes off again.

The man laughs. The tin disappears. In its place, a bear trap takes shape. The man rings the bell one final time. The Dog runs to the man, one final time. She sticks her head into the trap without hesitation.

There's a sickening snap. The man vanishes, and the trap does too. Only the broken body of the Dog is left behind.

The Dog has been executed!

(It was the ghost of Pavlov, if you didn't get it)

It is now the Dinner Phase. This should be a quick one, since only the Giraffe has a plate switch to spend.

1. The Mouse (Cybele)-
/
/Guess Immunity
Poisoned

Executed

4. The Fox (ika)-

5. The Spider (JDGA)-
Poisoned

Revealed as the Actor

7. The Dog (Jeanne11)-
Executed

Executed

/

Revealed as the Thief

Executed

/
/Guess Immunity
Revealed as the Soldier

No Switch:

The Mouse
The Blue Dragon

No response:

The Giraffe
Last edited by Lokiben on Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #370 (isolation #70) » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:42 am

Post by Lokiben »

The Giraffe switches plates with the Blue Dragon

The three surviving guests sat down to eat, for the upteenth time. No longer concerned with the threat of poison, for better or worse, the dinner goes by quietly, quickly, and uneventfully. The Blue Dragon is the first to finish, and wanders off to prepare for the next round of challenges. The Giraffe cleans off his plate, and stands up. Only then does he notice that the Mouse is staring at him, intently. The Giraffe returns the Mouse's gaze. He blinks.

The Mouse stands up violently, sending their chair sliding across the slick marble floor. The Mouse declares, "You are the Musician!"

The Blue Dragon hears a loud noise, and comes running back into the hall to find the Giraffe, still standing, and the Mouse, burried beneath an enormous crystal chandelier.
[/i]

The Mouse guesses at the Stake of their Life that the Giraffe is the Musician!
They are incorrect!

The Giraffe and the Blue Dragon turn slowly to face one another. Allies, and friends, they had been from the start, but they both knew the sacrifices that would have to be made if they were to inherit the castle.

1. The Mouse (Cybele)-
Guessed Incorrectly

Poisoned

Executed

4. The Fox (ika)-

5. The Spider (JDGA)-
Poisoned

Revealed as the Actor

7. The Dog (Jeanne11)-
Executed

Executed

/

Revealed as the Thief

Executed

/
/Guess Immunity
Revealed as the Soldier

It is now the Challenge Phase.

Set Challenges:

No response:

The Giraffe
The Blue Dragon
Last edited by Lokiben on Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #374 (isolation #71) » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:09 am

Post by Lokiben »

Set challenges:

The Giraffe will dance with the Blue Dragon

Pending challenges:

The Blue Dragon challenges the Giraffe to a duel
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #382 (isolation #72) » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:49 am

Post by Lokiben »

Congratulations to the Blue Dragon, and everyone else for making this a successful game of Behind the Masks. Whether it is hosted by me, or Cuddly, or someone else, there will likely be another game beginning sometime soon.

Highlights:

The final five roles are all grouped in the center of both lists, making all of the challenges very tight, with the exception of the antithesis of this relationship, the Monk.

A very unfortunate mod error knocks the Man-At-Arms out early, and robs everyone of some beautifully grisly death flavor. The Mouse, being the planned target of the Fox, is the most direct beneficiary of the mod error, and goes on to survive until the final three.

The Thief never switched any plates. The Musician never changed any results.

The Blue Dragon and Giraffe strike up an early alliance through PMs. Then, both of them ally themselves with other players without telling the other (Blue Dragon with the Wolf, and Giraffe with the Kangaroo). Then, both of their alternative allies die, and they return to working together, making it to the final two.

The Blue Dragon accepts the dance from the Giraffe, then immediately regrets it. Ironically, he wins the game on that dance.

Holy shit,
five
correct guesses. I'm not even sure that I've ever seen two.

Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #387 (isolation #73) » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:04 pm

Post by Lokiben »

Most I've seen in one game, I should have said. Glad to have a fan! Also sad that the Actor went out early, it was my brain child, and I was hoping to see it do well. Good point about the Monk. That role has been cursed for a while.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #399 (isolation #74) » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:14 pm

Post by Lokiben »

I'm sorry, but I haven't been keeping track of the pre-ins. ><

You all need to pick animal masks, anyway.

Starting now, I'll actually keep track of pre-ins, so if you did it before, please do it again.
Lokiben
Lokiben
Goon
Lokiben
Goon
Goon

Post Post #406 (isolation #75) » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:46 am

Post by Lokiben »

Return to “Social Game Archive”