Mastin Academy

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #265 (isolation #0) » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:38 am

Post by Plotinus »

how can i improve?
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #276 (isolation #1) » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:05 pm

Post by Plotinus »

I just feel like I have to work so much harder than everybody else does just to cobble together some mediocre reads on people. Other people can do it faster, more accurately, and with less work.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #278 (isolation #2) » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:30 am

Post by Plotinus »

I don't mind losing especially if the other side plays well. but
even when i win
and even when I've done my best, I feel like my best wasn't good enough. I can see the gaps between me and everyone else. It's like everyone else can just multiply in their heads and I have to count up on my fingers.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #283 (isolation #3) » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:21 am

Post by Plotinus »

I appreciate the compliments, guys, and it means a lot to me, but I wasn't fishing. <3

I know that I'm good at
Spoiler: a few things
looking town (even when i'm not), my LYLO play (as both alignments), looking/being genuine, showing my work, wagondriving, keeping track of what my townself thinks of the gamestate, crumbhunting, remembering that one tiny thing that somebody said a month and over 100 pages ago and finding it quickly.

What I need to work on is: finding scum, finding people to work together with and actually working together with them, not overthinking my nightkills, and probably some more things too.

And given that finding scum is half of the job as town, that's a pretty big thing to need to work on. I can run in circles around the game thread scumhunting, but I don't find all that much scum in the process.

Maybe examples will help?

I've only been town in 2 of my last 10 completed games. The last one ended in October. It was o607. I did get my shit together in LYLO on day 6 and everyone forgave me for my day 1-5 play, but before that my reads were upside down, I was convinced on day 1 that the scumteam was 3 people who were town and then I strongarmed a lynch on one of them and then the other 2 were nightkilled and I was so lost. There's plenty I could have done differently on days 1-5 that I didn't do. I should've just hung back and sheeped my mason buddies and hydra partner or something. I was brought to 3p LYLO as an uncounterclaimed mason after claiming on day 2, that's how inept I was that game.

Before that, I was town in this horrid micro and I got into a stupid TvT with someone. We were in LYLO on day 2 and I could have voted correctly if I would have thought to use one of the 5p LYLO tells that I know about, but I didn't.

There was also this other sad little micro where I had town apathy on page 2 and it never got better and then we were in LYLO on page 6 and I had no reads. We won but it wasn't thanks to me.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #285 (isolation #4) » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:23 am

Post by Plotinus »

oh. I thought it was just me.

Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #289 (isolation #5) » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:23 pm

Post by Plotinus »

I'd like that, Vyse. I'm alive in 1 and modding 1 and signed up for 3 (clowntardis, werewolves of miller's hollow, and ICing a newbie game) so it'll need to wait a little bit because I don't play well when i'm overextended, but I remembered that you did ask me back in June so I put you near the start of my waiting list.

I'm also not sure how much WDPT-based advice would help at this stage; it was 6 months ago that it finished after all. I spent the first month newbslipping and being the usual lost newbie in their first large and that's a one time experience thankfully. I replaced into it right after my first newbie game was completed and I was brand new to mafia, not just new to the site, so it took me a month to figure out how to play. I don't think there's anything I could have done differently in that 6 week perpetual MYLO except maybe to tell BC to hammer when they offered to instead of waiting for the replacement and allowing the replacement time to defend themselves but I was trying not to look opportunistic and I thought it was fair to let the replacement have a chance.

I didn't notice BBmolla buddying me and I shouldn't have got paranoid of my toptownread (BC), should have trusted my numbers thing to be right about them, but I don't think I could have done better at the time with the resources I had available to me. Maybe I'd notice the buddying now, maybe I wouldn't. I'd be better at reading mastina this time around but that's because I've played with her before and I hadn't yet played with her then.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”