Undertale

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #550 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:40 am

Post by Brandi »

I think it's really funny comparing these two reviews of OOT:

Dunkey is the one I agree with most but there are merits to what Egoraptor says too

It's also especially nice because Dunkey almost never makes serious videos (well, that one wasn't entirely serious either, but it's clear he meant SOME of the things he said)
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #551 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:54 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 547, xRECKONERx wrote:top 5 LoZ is some combination of Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Link Between Worlds, Minish Cap, and we can throw in one of Link's Awakening/Link to the Past for good measure

I have the Oracle series above Link's Awakening for sure, and also above Minish Cap. Oracle of Ages/Seasons were incredible.

In post 548, xRECKONERx wrote:(note: im almost done with Wind Waker so this is subject to change as I hear a very frustrating portion of the game is coming up near the end)

Yes, it's frustrating, but it's also a good way to let you see parts of the world you might not have otherwise.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #552 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:57 am

Post by Ythan »

LA is fantastic but OoA/S is just the same but better and twice as much.
esuriospiritus
esuriospiritus
they/ask
I Reject Your Corporeality...
esuriospiritus
they/ask
Pronoun: they/ask

Post Post #553 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:06 pm

Post by esuriospiritus »

Link's Awakening is my favorite. Guess I need to get a rom or virtual console of ooa/s.
First you get your wings back. Then you learn to fly.

Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #554 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:06 pm

Post by Iecerint »

In post 553, esuriospiritus wrote:Link's Awakening is my favorite. Guess I need to get a rom or virtual console of ooa/s.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #555 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:07 pm

Post by Ythan »

Link's Awakening was my first game and I have enormous nostalgia for it, and I am telling you the Oracles are better yes.
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #556 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:50 pm

Post by Iecerint »

I've tried to play Seasons like twice and lost interest. Ages I did like a lot, but my ROM save file got corrupted and I never finished it.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #557 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:59 pm

Post by Vi »

Ages had a lot more puzzles and might objectively be the better game but Seasons had a lot more action and I had more fun playing it. Ancient Ruins was the best.
This should not remind you of any other threads on mafiascum dot net :shifty:

I'm not sure how Minish Cap made a list as a definitely and Link to the Past made that same list as a maybe. The first half of Minish Cap dragged really hard, and LttP is the definition of solid gameplay.

I don't really hate Ocarina of Time <_< All the bad things about it I can think of are not worse than later games like Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #558 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:02 pm

Post by Ythan »

I believe the action/puzzles dichotomy between Seasons/Ages was intentional.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #559 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:20 pm

Post by Chevre »

As a 2016 gamer who has only played Phantom Hourglass to completion, what is the best way to tackle the LoZ franchise?
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
Iecerint
Iecerint
Survivor
Iecerint
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #560 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:24 pm

Post by Iecerint »

In post 559, Chevre wrote:As a 2016 gamer who has only played Phantom Hourglass to completion, what is the best way to tackle the LoZ franchise?

They're all pretty playable. I played through every game in the franchise in about 2012 because my boyfriend at the time had everything on GameCube in some format or other.

The NES games have fewer narrative components and may appeal to you less. Everything else is still playable. Twilight Princess feels like you're riding an amusement park ride, but it always felt that way.
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #561 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:26 pm

Post by Ythan »

I can see an argument for not starting with the NES games but ALttP is good.
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #562 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:55 pm

Post by Claus »

A Link to the Past is the best Zelda
mainly because it was the first one I ever played, also at a time when you couldn't just go to the internet when you got stuck at some part in the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVmAG0RXmo
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #563 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:01 pm

Post by Brandi »

I still haven't played that one but everyone I'm close to who has says it's the BEST so I guess I will have to
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack

Post Post #564 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:11 pm

Post by Ythan »

It stands out on the snes, which says a lot.
Claus
Claus
Mafia Scum
Claus
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #565 (ISO) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:39 pm

Post by Claus »

It stands out on the snes before many games that we consider to have pushed the boundaries of the snes came.

It was a really beautiful game.

A friend of mine who shares this opinion urged me to buy A Link Between Worlds, but that would also require me to buy a new DS, since mine has its shoulder buttons busted... so I'm procastinating it for now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVVmAG0RXmo
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #566 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:25 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Oh yeah, damn, Ages/Seasons would absolutely take the last spot in my top 5 over LTTP/LA.

Minish Cap is almost criminally underrated, while Ocarina is vastly overrated. The Egoraptor video someone posted above makes some salient points.
green shirt thursdays
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #567 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:48 am

Post by Vi »

In post 566, xRECKONERx wrote:Minish Cap is almost criminally underrated
It's really not. The game does get better as it goes on - Palace of Winds is one of my favorite dungeon designs - but the first half of the game is dreadful.

while Ocarina is vastly overrated
*stops all action
EZLO: <woo-woo-woo sound effect and animation> "Link! Something fairly obvious is going to happen!" <hwaaak sound effect> "Watch out!" <another animation>

*stops all action
MIDNA: <modern sound effect and longer animation> "Link! Maybe you should follow the obvious plot point ahead!" <attempt at characterization ends conversation> <modern sound effect and animation>

*stops all action
FI: <animation> "Master Link. This is a description of the cutscene you just watched. The cutscene strongly implied that you should do this thing. I foresee that if you do this thing based on what the cutscene strongly implied, something good might happen." <animation>

Also Ocarina of Time is much less blatantly linear and has a more "open world" than all three of those games.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #568 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:15 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Ocarina is linear but likes to pretend it's not by dressing up the mannequins in thongs and bras

also fuck you minish cap is amazing
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #569 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:16 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

ALSO I AGREE THAT TP & SS SUCK
green shirt thursdays
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #570 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:13 am

Post by Vi »

In post 568, xRECKONERx wrote:Ocarina is linear but likes to pretend it's not by dressing up the mannequins in thongs and bras
I know you like to use sexualized hyperbole way more often than necessary, and I do recall that lifting a naked teenage girl over your head is a vital game mechanic at one point in OoT, but I'm not sure I follow what you're saying here. Also, the fact that you can do the future dungeons ~out of order~ to a degree should count for something, considering that that idea was officially shot in the forehead starting in Twilight Princess (and including Minish Cap).

Skyward Sword did a few things right; they just weren't the things they were really aiming to do right. I liked the Silent Realms a lot.

Twilight Princess is much more interesting in glitched speed runs; unfortunately to appreciate it you have to have done it the original way.
Other than that, I dunno, Malo Mart was a thing that happened.
Actually, Stallord was the high point of that game.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #571 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:21 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

OoT pretends like it's an open, vast world. Then the guard tells you, "No! You cannot pass! You must obtain [insert game progressing blockade destroying item] before you can go there!" So it winds up being effectively linear. There are some interesting...options, I guess? You still have to do Forest/Water/Fire before you can do the Shadow Temple, and you need the Longshot & Prelude of Light to get to the Wasteland so you have to do Spirit Temple after whichever two those are in as well (I think it's Forest/Water). So yeah, it's 'non-linear' insomuch as you can do any combination of Fire/Water/Forest first, and you can do any combination of Shadow/Spirit last. I guess. But that doesn't stop the incredible frustration of how they show you this vast world then go YOU CAN'T GO THERE! There are a bunch of "run to this place and press A until you can proceed" moments in that game.

You want actually non-linear, play Link Between Worlds. That game rules.

Skyward Sword did some stuff right, sure. It's not a very GOOD game, though. MOTION CONTROLS.
green shirt thursdays
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #572 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:43 am

Post by Vi »

I actually didn't hate the motion controls in Skyward Sword. I did, unfortunately, get the Wii version of Twilight Princess, which probably contributes a lot to my opinion. I've never played A Link Between Worlds because at the time I felt like I was done buying games that I'd already played to 100% more than once ten years ago and questioned what was being added.

Also that really only happens at
A) Kokiri Forest aka the tutorial area before you realize there's a vast world
B) the gate to Hyrule Castle, which you're not really supposed to go through anyway
C) Kakariko Village/Death Mountain, which is probably for plot reasons but it counts
D) the way back to the present when blocked by Sheik, which yeah I wasn't fond of
Every other means of stopping the player from reaching places early that I can think of isn't an NPC literally telling you no except for the entrances to Gerudo Valley and Gerudo Wasteland, which is more "eff off" than "you must do this first" and sets up the isolation of Spirit Temple.

Minish Cap on the other hand straight up has "you must have this item to access this area" written all over the map, and even forces you to go to Castor Wilds and realize you can't go further before opening up the Pegasus Boots sidequest. Skyward Sword did it a little better but not by much. Twilight Princess, well etc.

Basically I'm saying that not only are the complaints overblown, but the later games did basically the same things you're talking about but more blatantly.

What I'm also saying is that we should agree that A Link to the Past, which has basically none of this, is awesome.
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #573 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:24 am

Post by InflatablePie »

If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
Brandi
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Brandi
Awwwrtist
Awwwrtist

Post Post #574 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:44 pm

Post by Brandi »

Oh it's on soundcloud~ awesome~

This is my fav remix so far:
https://soundcloud.com/mrsuicidesheep/t ... hime-remix

makes me feel all