Undertale

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #121 (isolation #0) » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:10 pm

Post by Vi »

ok so can i ask you guys what you thought of this game difficulty wise?
It's not particularly difficult any way you play it, though I play a lot of bullet hell games so etc. Obviously there's that one exception though (and, well, the Special Thanks).
Also the game is suuuuper-lenient during the Flowey fight when you get low on health. That's the only explanation I have for getting that one on the first try.

Hi, I got tired of seeing this game everywhere combined with "omg don't spoil yourself if you plan on playing it". So that was all of yesterday and a little bit of today, doing Neutral and Pacifist. This was a good use of money; for the most part it's the game Earthbound wishes it was but didn't know how to be. I'm not sure what I'd say the best part was.
*the minor boss themes
*GUTSMAN'S ASS
*Events leading to "Now only fire lives here."
*...suddenly the plot just got uncomfortably meta
*I know this game is keeping close track of what I'm doing so why is this skeleton still so unnerving

I'm a little disappointed that the game actively shuts off your ability to replay some things
since I want a Flowey rematch now that I have an idea of what's coming
but I suppose that would be against the spirit of the game.

Prior to purchase I found people calling the main character by its given name, and me not feeling like putting a ~personalized~ name in, I used that instead. A very interesting gameplay experience followed, as did a quick trip to an FAQ to explain why I couldn't get out of the Ruins.

Luvin the combat system.
This is one of the best RPG combat systems, yes.

Finished the pacifist route of Undertale.

I take back what I said.

I feel like the absolute scum of the earth who deserves nothing in life. No friends, no love, nothing at all.

10/10, still recommending.
^__^
I let Flowey totally call me out via YouTube instead. Downside: Less actual gameplay experience. Upside: I don't have to deal with literal soul-scarring.
But I'm not going to say I didn't try to go this route on my first playthrough; I just didn't know how exactly.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #124 (isolation #1) » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:20 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 123, Ythan wrote:It cracks me up, I keep seeing people play hardmode by mistake.
See previous comment about "omg don't spoil yourself" and HEY LET ME TELL YOU ALL ABOUT THIS GAME AND ITS RELEVANT SPOILERS.

After the fact I was kind of surprised and kind of disappointed to learn I was playing Hard Mode, with the surprise/lack thereof and disappointment coming for the same reason.

Oh right. Papyrus didn't make my first run, and I said I don't have responsibility.
I was not ready for the consequence, nor was I ready for
the advice on how to fight Papyrus
the second time around.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #126 (isolation #2) » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:31 pm

Post by Vi »

At least I knew how to get through what I'm pretty sure was the hardest puzzle in the game the
second
third time.

...actually, the Papyrus skull puzzle was the hardest one. I was kind of surprised by the margin of difficulty.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #128 (isolation #3) » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:35 pm

Post by Vi »

I got the hint, but it didn't work...?

Whichever, I got through (>")>
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #142 (isolation #4) » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:16 am

Post by Vi »

In post 141, Hanasawa wrote:
In post 137, Om of the Nom wrote:i feel like napstablook is more lily if anything
I
'm going to lie in bed and feel like garbage now. Add me on
S
kype so we can feel like garbage together maybe...

...or not. That's cool too
Too lively.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #149 (isolation #5) » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:12 am

Post by Vi »

just when I thought the responses were excellent Ythan blows them away
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #163 (isolation #6) » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:45 pm

Post by Vi »

(Massive spoilers BUT YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT BECAUSE UNDERTALE)
Undertale fanart is admittedly one reason I care about tumblr.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #176 (isolation #7) » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:36 am

Post by Vi »

In post 175, InflatablePie wrote:
Spoiler:
I need to see more peoples' reactions to
Omega Flowey
Spoiler: not quite fer recks
I wasn't expecting the game to crash itself. Similarly, when I first reloaded it I didn't expect it to hang, so I shut the game off and tried again :?

What followed? Honestly, I've been thinking pretty hard recently about game design and
how best to "impact" the player
so
it didn't *bother* me at all. It's actually pretty well-done, minus the cop-out denouement. The real tragedy is that the only way to play it again is to True Reset, and even then, to do a real showcase run you have to do it all the first time since it autosaves your progress. Well, this isn't a game where you can just play around with peoples' lives and dreams, after all.

Your Best Nightmare is one of the catchiest songs on the OST IMO.

...maybe I'm a bit -too- into this concept.

(we share a laptop currently - yes, I know I need to clear everything before handing it over)
Um...
Make sure you understand the consequences of your actions.
link that should be in spoiler
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #183 (isolation #8) » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:32 am

Post by Vi »

This is not the Powerpuff Girls. :?

Also, don't you talk that way about
the best character in the game. He thinks the same thing about you, for what it's worth.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #193 (isolation #9) » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:21 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 190, Iecerint wrote:I have considered reinstalling to remove the minor tainting I inadvertently did on my first playthrough.
I'm pretty sure True Reset covers everything else?

im on genoicde and fighting undyne and i FUCKING QUIT
That is literally the point.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #202 (isolation #10) » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:05 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 200, Ythan wrote:Undyne's death is so much worse if you're NOT on genocide for some reason.
What does one more obstacle matter?
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #226 (isolation #11) » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:22 am

Post by Vi »

About the only things I can say that are negative about the game are its interesting ideas about replayability and that the whole Alphys thing in Hotland got old really quickly.
Plus it's not noticeably easier to kill anyone than spare them, so the battle system becomes a show rather than a test of skill. It's supposed to make the player feel good, which is good game design, but once you play Pacifist you realize how much of it is stage magic.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #235 (isolation #12) » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:18 pm

Post by Vi »

I thought MEGALOVANIA fell off after the (very solid) first half and never really recovered. It's good ingame but not so much on its own.

If I had to choose four songs to keep from this game they'd be
*It's Raining Somewhere Else
*Dummy!
*Your Best Nightmare
*Stronger Monsters
although I'm not denying MEGALOVANIA is up there.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #236 (isolation #13) » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:19 pm

Post by Vi »

Oh right.

I'm not a bumper-sticker type of person but I want a sticker on my rear dashboard of a smiling Flowey with the word "REMEMBER" under it.

I'd even be okay with getting viciously rear-ended if I got it. (I think.)
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #238 (isolation #14) » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:08 pm

Post by Vi »

Oh right. Amalgam makes five. That was an excellent encounter song.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #257 (isolation #15) » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:31 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 242, Ythan wrote:Am I wrong to thing Metal Crusher is MTT's best theme
No, although the hotel theme with the obnoxiously long name is pretty etc.

Reunited (why the fuck has this not been mentioned by anyone so far)
because you hear it for like 45 minutes straight; also because it takes a minute and a half for it to get anywhere

Undertale is under-rated ( :? :? ) but it's also played in a really overlookable part of the game.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #279 (isolation #16) » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:02 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 277, Ythan wrote:I know it's 2015 but if anyone ITT hasn't played earthbound there's a very high probability you'll like it. Unless you only enjoyed undertale's combat system and hated everything else.
Disagree. Undertale is basically Earthbound with a vastly better soundtrack, 5% of the slow unskippable cutscenes, 30% of the slow tedious walking about, and 500% of the ability to connect to the player.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #287 (isolation #17) » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:15 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 281, Ythan wrote:Keep in mind what else we were playing 21 years ago, I guess.
Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI (then III), and Super Mario RPG?

Then again I don't get why anyone would hang on to most items in most games.
Weird tangent, but did you like Riviera? That game drives in how much of a waste it is not to use rare one-shot items you run across, what with limited inventory space, those rare one-shots getting obsoleted by other rare one-shots, and occasionally getting your books drenched and unusable.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #296 (isolation #18) » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:32 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 295, Ythan wrote:UNDERTALE

Favorite character go.
The following tier list is canon.

sans
Frisk
|
(everyone else)
|
Monster Kid
Alphys
|
You
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #306 (isolation #19) » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:05 am

Post by Vi »

In post 301, Chevre wrote:Flowey
Mad Dummy
I can see character implementation arguments about Flowey, but I will fight you over Mad Dummy.

@esurio: The entire point of Alphys's character is that she's really, really pathetic and got rejected from The Simpsons. The things in the spoiler didn't change that.

IIRC it's implied in the neutral route that Alphys commits suicide if Mettaton EX gets broken, and sure she's wracked with guilt over melting people together, but I'm still not able to get over how she basically strings you along in the most obnoxious way possible through Hotland. Like, the True Laboratory feels like it concerns someone else entirely.

Training Dummy, Mad Dummy's cousin, is Napstablook.
I don't think this one is correct.

I feel like I'm Alphys's target demographic but eh.
*weeaboo comic goes here*
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #310 (isolation #20) » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:14 am

Post by Vi »

In post 307, borkjerfkin wrote:
In post 306, Vi wrote:I don't think this one is correct.

it's hinted that
Mettaton's 'soul' is Napstablook's cousin's
(see the key you can buy from bratty and catty to the house opposite his). Dummy is indeed related to the dummy from the tutorial fight and is employed by Undyne

and blook is the one who
calls in to the show when you beat Mettaton
Yeah, but nothing you just said implies that blook is the Training Dummy.

blook says something about his relatives at the snail farm, but I don't remember if he specified how -many- there were.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #312 (isolation #21) » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:17 am

Post by Vi »

In post 309, esuriospiritus wrote:I have a kazoo version of Death by Glamour stuck in my head right now. I'm not even quite sure if that's a thing that exists or if I've heard such a thing before, but it's in my head anyway.
It does. There are a few Undertalexkazoo videos on YouTube.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #327 (isolation #22) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:07 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 324, Brandi wrote:This game is truly amazing despite how short it is. Really Undertale's greatest fault.
I actually don't think its length is that big a problem. If it were much longer it would have started to drag.

(Now, if most of the game were like the True Laboratory then I'd change my mind, but etc.)
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #330 (isolation #23) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:23 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 329, Ythan wrote:
In post 327, Vi wrote:(Now, if most of the game were like the True Laboratory then I'd change my mind, but etc.)
Most EarthBound part of the game hate to break it to you.
If more of Earthbound were like the True Laboratory then I'd change my mind, but etc.

I prefer considering Yume Nikki's influence on Undertale more tbh.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #373 (isolation #24) » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:53 am

Post by Vi »

I agree, there's a point where you realize that most of the boss fights are more or less scripted and it takes a bit out of the experience. More than anything I think it's that the illusion of player agency gets broken.

Although in that one case it's because if you can't win you're kind of stuck.
also the Flowey fight will do that even during your first play - you lose health more slowly when it's already low, and I think during the finale you are basically indestructible.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #417 (isolation #25) » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:56 pm

Post by Vi »

Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #465 (isolation #26) » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:19 am

Post by Vi »

In post 463, Brandi wrote:Also every enemy I ever "fought" I used the "check" command first before proceeding and I noticed most people don't do that either :C
It doesn't help that doing the same thing more than once to an enemy may have different results. There is a
lot
to miss in this game.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #467 (isolation #27) » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:19 pm

Post by Vi »

That didn't end the way I expected.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #479 (isolation #28) » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:00 pm

Post by Vi »

Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #502 (isolation #29) » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:44 am

Post by Vi »

In post 501, Brandi wrote:That is pretty funny, Ythan
It's true, though. People who are bad at playing brass instruments tend to sound like they're violently sitting on ducks of various sizes.

Also yeah that video's honestly pretty rough; I did band for a decade and that's pretty tough to listen to.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #557 (isolation #30) » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:59 pm

Post by Vi »

Ages had a lot more puzzles and might objectively be the better game but Seasons had a lot more action and I had more fun playing it. Ancient Ruins was the best.
This should not remind you of any other threads on mafiascum dot net :shifty:

I'm not sure how Minish Cap made a list as a definitely and Link to the Past made that same list as a maybe. The first half of Minish Cap dragged really hard, and LttP is the definition of solid gameplay.

I don't really hate Ocarina of Time <_< All the bad things about it I can think of are not worse than later games like Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #567 (isolation #31) » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:48 am

Post by Vi »

In post 566, xRECKONERx wrote:Minish Cap is almost criminally underrated
It's really not. The game does get better as it goes on - Palace of Winds is one of my favorite dungeon designs - but the first half of the game is dreadful.

while Ocarina is vastly overrated
*stops all action
EZLO: <woo-woo-woo sound effect and animation> "Link! Something fairly obvious is going to happen!" <hwaaak sound effect> "Watch out!" <another animation>

*stops all action
MIDNA: <modern sound effect and longer animation> "Link! Maybe you should follow the obvious plot point ahead!" <attempt at characterization ends conversation> <modern sound effect and animation>

*stops all action
FI: <animation> "Master Link. This is a description of the cutscene you just watched. The cutscene strongly implied that you should do this thing. I foresee that if you do this thing based on what the cutscene strongly implied, something good might happen." <animation>

Also Ocarina of Time is much less blatantly linear and has a more "open world" than all three of those games.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #570 (isolation #32) » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:13 am

Post by Vi »

In post 568, xRECKONERx wrote:Ocarina is linear but likes to pretend it's not by dressing up the mannequins in thongs and bras
I know you like to use sexualized hyperbole way more often than necessary, and I do recall that lifting a naked teenage girl over your head is a vital game mechanic at one point in OoT, but I'm not sure I follow what you're saying here. Also, the fact that you can do the future dungeons ~out of order~ to a degree should count for something, considering that that idea was officially shot in the forehead starting in Twilight Princess (and including Minish Cap).

Skyward Sword did a few things right; they just weren't the things they were really aiming to do right. I liked the Silent Realms a lot.

Twilight Princess is much more interesting in glitched speed runs; unfortunately to appreciate it you have to have done it the original way.
Other than that, I dunno, Malo Mart was a thing that happened.
Actually, Stallord was the high point of that game.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #572 (isolation #33) » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:43 am

Post by Vi »

I actually didn't hate the motion controls in Skyward Sword. I did, unfortunately, get the Wii version of Twilight Princess, which probably contributes a lot to my opinion. I've never played A Link Between Worlds because at the time I felt like I was done buying games that I'd already played to 100% more than once ten years ago and questioned what was being added.

Also that really only happens at
A) Kokiri Forest aka the tutorial area before you realize there's a vast world
B) the gate to Hyrule Castle, which you're not really supposed to go through anyway
C) Kakariko Village/Death Mountain, which is probably for plot reasons but it counts
D) the way back to the present when blocked by Sheik, which yeah I wasn't fond of
Every other means of stopping the player from reaching places early that I can think of isn't an NPC literally telling you no except for the entrances to Gerudo Valley and Gerudo Wasteland, which is more "eff off" than "you must do this first" and sets up the isolation of Spirit Temple.

Minish Cap on the other hand straight up has "you must have this item to access this area" written all over the map, and even forces you to go to Castor Wilds and realize you can't go further before opening up the Pegasus Boots sidequest. Skyward Sword did it a little better but not by much. Twilight Princess, well etc.

Basically I'm saying that not only are the complaints overblown, but the later games did basically the same things you're talking about but more blatantly.

What I'm also saying is that we should agree that A Link to the Past, which has basically none of this, is awesome.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #579 (isolation #34) » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:04 am

Post by Vi »

Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #601 (isolation #35) » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:32 am

Post by Vi »

When I got the game the major reason people were buying the soundtrack was "to give Toby more money".

Which, to be kind of honest, etc.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #606 (isolation #36) » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:25 am

Post by Vi »

In post 602, Brandi wrote:I'm sure some people are desperate to incentivise him to make another game someday :B
I've also heard that was one of the Kickstarter goals for this game. Odds are decent that if that's true, it was met, so I'm just assuming that's happening. (>")>
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #621 (isolation #37) » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:18 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 620, Brandi wrote:http://frostbitex44.tumblr.com/post/135 ... if-you-say

^What happens when you say "no" to Asgore asking if you want TEA

holy crap when I finally muster the energy to play through again, I'm going to pick all the rudest options
Alphys' facial expressions, though.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #635 (isolation #38) » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:21 am

Post by Vi »

Interesting use of croissants.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #641 (isolation #39) » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:13 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 640, esuriospiritus wrote:PS: this has also been a cool thing so far: http://tratserenoyreve.tumblr.com/post/ ... inues-here
The anthropomorphic flower got a pretty solid treatment here.

The art here is pretty amazing.

Return to “The Arcade”