Do you believe in evolution?

This forum is for discussion about anything else.

Do you believe in Evolution?

Yes, it is how we got to where we are now
78%
No, there is no chance of evolution
7%
In theory yes, but we didn't come from primates
11%
Unsure
4%

Total votes: 161

ShadowLurker
ShadowLurker
9 years old
ShadowLurker
9 years old
9 years old

Do you believe in evolution?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:59 pm

Post by ShadowLurker »

I've heard the global warming poll results caused quite a fair bit of shock concerning the amount of people that do/don't and knowing that over half of all American's don't believe in evolution and it isn't taught in Kansas, I want to see what % of MSers believe in evolution.
:sadtorch Ken Hoang, A.D/Fuzzie, Cameron Ferris, Taj Johnson-George, Annie Duke, Patti Blagojevich, Maria/Tiffany :sadtorch
:torch Tammy/Victor, Dan/Jordan
Simenon
Simenon
Entitled
Simenon
Entitled
Entitled

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:03 pm

Post by Simenon »

Am I allowed to answer this question seriously?
SEND THE VECTOIDS
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:07 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

Simenon wrote:Am I allowed to answer this question seriously?
This is GD. Only serious discussion is allowed here. :seriousface:
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Streeflo
Streeflo
Mafia Scum
Streeflo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:16 pm

Post by Streeflo »

Evolution: Serious Business.

(Kansas doesn't teach this?)
Fritzler
Fritzler
More /in than you!
Fritzler
More /in than you!
More /in than you!

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:34 pm

Post by Fritzler »

No its not on the curriculum. I had a couple of science professors talk about it anyways in 7th grade with his own time, but that was about it. My 9th grade teacher in biology never mentioned it, and after that I took 2 physics and 2 chemistry classes, and never really had an option to talk about it. I do know that a couple teachers talked about it anyways in class (mostly the AP/Honors teachers), and some didn't (mostly for the stupid people). Do people really teach evolution like, to every kid in other states?
Surfs up dude.
ShadowLurker
ShadowLurker
9 years old
ShadowLurker
9 years old
9 years old

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:39 pm

Post by ShadowLurker »

Fritzler wrote:No its not on the curriculum. I had a couple of science professors talk about it anyways in 7th grade with his own time, but that was about it. My 9th grade teacher in biology never mentioned it, and after that I took 2 physics and 2 chemistry classes, and never really had an option to talk about it. I do know that a couple teachers talked about it anyways in class (mostly the AP/Honors teachers), and some didn't (mostly for the stupid people). Do people really teach evolution like, to every kid in other states?
Yes.

The only state I'm not sure about is Texas as they have their own textbook for everything and I dunno about the contents of their biology curriculum.
:sadtorch Ken Hoang, A.D/Fuzzie, Cameron Ferris, Taj Johnson-George, Annie Duke, Patti Blagojevich, Maria/Tiffany :sadtorch
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:43 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

Fritzler wrote:No its not on the curriculum. I had a couple of science professors talk about it anyways in 7th grade with his own time, but that was about it. My 9th grade teacher in biology never mentioned it, and after that I took 2 physics and 2 chemistry classes, and never really had an option to talk about it. I do know that a couple teachers talked about it anyways in class (mostly the AP/Honors teachers), and some didn't (mostly for the stupid people). Do people really teach evolution like, to every kid in other states?
Yeah, it's definatly supposed to be covered in some detail bio class, which every kid in NJ takes. I'm sure a few teachers kind of skirt the topic, but they're supposed to teach it at least.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:05 pm

Post by vollkan »

I object to the question itself. "Believe"?

This isn't the sort of thing that requires "belief" in the sense of "Do you believe in god/pixies/unicorns/etc.?"

There is plenty of evidence to support evolution (ie. haemoglobin splits, viral development, ring species, and so on) so I really don't think it is a matter of "belief" so much as it is a matter of being persuaded by the existing evidence. I might as well say "I believe I am sitting on my chair at my computer."
ShadowLurker
ShadowLurker
9 years old
ShadowLurker
9 years old
9 years old

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:08 pm

Post by ShadowLurker »

vollkan wrote:I object to the question itself. "Believe"?

This isn't the sort of thing that requires "belief" in the sense of "Do you believe in god/pixies/unicorns/etc.?"

There is plenty of evidence to support evolution (ie. haemoglobin splits, viral development, ring species, and so on) so I really don't think it is a matter of "belief" so much as it is a matter of being persuaded by the existing evidence. I might as well say "I believe I am sitting on my chair at my computer."
AND THAT WOULD BE PROPER EVEN THOUGH IT IS OVERLY POLITE
IH
IH
Always Scum
IH
Always Scum
Always Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:18 pm

Post by IH »

eh I personally think that the evidence is too inconclusive to prove evolution thoroughly and scientifically myself. Viral development and such can form to make a larger organism, but.....

Where did the original spark of life come from?

Are these organisms ever mutating, or just repeating itself?

Etc etc. Not to mention, there are some arguments about the 'fossil layer' which I don't agree with.
Untrod Tripod (7:27:18 PM): you enjoy whoring
xcaykex (7:27:24 PM): yes
xcaykex (7:27:26 PM): i know that
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:41 pm

Post by JDodge »

vollkan wrote:I object to the question itself. "Believe"?

THAT IS A GREAT ARGUMENT AGAINST EVOLUTION

THE MAIN PROBLEM WITH EVOLUTION IS BAD GRAMMAR
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:08 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

DO YOU MEAN POOR GRAMMAR, PERHAPS?
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Maz Medias
Maz Medias
Mafia Scum
Maz Medias
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:14 pm

Post by Maz Medias »

I don't know, do you fucking believe in sea turtles?
Stewie
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:17 pm

Post by Stewie »

In theory yes, but we didn't come from primates
The theory of evolution does not say we came from primates, merely that we have a common ancestor.

I find it hard to not believe in evolution if you are actually educated on the subject on the molecular level. Given that there are random mutations, I find it hard to imagine a situation in which evolution didn't happen.
Where did the original spark of life come from?
Just because there isn't an answer yet, it doesn't mean there isn't one. It's not relevant anyways, the theory of evolution does not explain how life was created, but rather how from one common ancestor we changed to get all the species of the world.
Are these organisms ever mutating, or just repeating itself?
Which organisms? The answer is most likely "they are mutating" but I'm just wondering which organisms you are talking about.
eh I personally think that the evidence is too inconclusive to prove evolution thoroughly and scientifically myself. Viral development and such can form to make a larger organism, but.....
The mere fact that it is called a theory means that there's a vast amount of conclusive evidence.

I can see that you may not be convinced by the arguments for evolution, but did you study the science behind it?

A good example of evolution is antibiotic-resistant bacteria strains. Without evolution, once we found an antibiotic, it should be good forever. However, somehow bacteria develop resistance to them.
HackerHuck
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:37 pm

Post by HackerHuck »

Why is option three even on there? Humans are primates.
Fritzler
Fritzler
More /in than you!
Fritzler
More /in than you!
More /in than you!

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:59 pm

Post by Fritzler »

Maz Medias wrote:I don't know, do you fucking believe in sea turtles?
i believe in fucking sea turtles

Surfs up dude.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:16 pm

Post by vollkan »

IH wrote: eh I personally think that the evidence is too inconclusive to prove evolution thoroughly and scientifically myself.
Well, it depends on what you mean by "prove". It is not the sort of thing you can sit down in a lab and do, except for with things like bacteria which have a very short (by our standard) generation gap.

Evidence in the sense of our knowledge of when certain phenotypes branched off, etc. is amply available to effectively prove it.
IH wrote: Where did the original spark of life come from?
Not entirely relevant but the two theories I most like are the organic primordial soup model or the inorganic model of Graham Cairns-Smith (look it up if you are interested).
IH wrote: Are these organisms ever mutating, or just repeating itself?
I don't quite know exactly what you mean here, but I will answer what I think you are referring to.

Evolutionary mutations occur when the DNA is miscopied across generations. As in a small mutation in the DNA of Parent X may lead to Child Y having some tiny advantage which gives it a higher possibility of surviving to breed and pass that mutation on.
IH wrote: Etc etc. Not to mention, there are some arguments about the 'fossil layer' which I don't agree with.
The so-called Cambrian Explosion is probably the most popular example of this rather weak attempt to question evolution. The 'fossil record' arguments rest on the assumption that all species leave fossils which are as resilient as other species.

I mean, it may be the case that prior to the Cambrian Explosion period many species were very soft and, therefore, did not leave many, if any, fossils.

Combine this with the possibility of natural disasters destroying fossils, etc and there really is no argument against evolution raised by the fossil record.
Stewie wrote: A good example of evolution is antibiotic-resistant bacteria strains. Without evolution, once we found an antibiotic, it should be good forever. However, somehow bacteria develop resistance to them.
Yeah. That's one of the easiest ways to explain it to people without having to overwhelm them with science.
Foolster41
Foolster41
Auther
Foolster41
Auther
Auther

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:16 pm

Post by Foolster41 »

If you mean evolution as a system for adaption and change, then yes.
If you mean the big bang, or that one species can change ot a completely differnet species, then no. (That's what the third option is there for)
Winner of the "if real life was like mafia" thread. :D
**May be going on permanent Limited Access as soon as April 1st. :(**
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:23 pm

Post by vollkan »

Foolster wrote: If you mean evolution as a system for adaption and change, then yes.
If you mean the big bang, or that one species can change ot a completely differnet species, then no.
Evolution is the process by which one species changes into another over many generations by small mutational changes. It is technically possible for one animal to give birth to a completely different species, but very unlikely and then there is the matter of the new species being unable to survive.

However, evolution does cause new species
over long stretches of time
due to many small mutations.

What don't you like about the big bang?
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:24 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Fritz, I should have known you'd believe in Bestiality.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
IH
IH
Always Scum
IH
Always Scum
Always Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:59 am

Post by IH »

Stewie wrote:Just because there isn't an answer yet, it doesn't mean there isn't one. It's not relevant anyways, the theory of evolution does not explain how life was created, but rather how from one common ancestor we changed to get all the species of the world.
But if there's inconclusive proof, then it's a belief that it's right. The theory of evolution is usually used as an argument against things such as creationism as the origin of life. I feel that explaining the spark of life coming from somewhere is a very important part to the correctness of evolution.

Also I will remember the "just because there isn't an answer yet" in future arguments with you.
Stewie wrote:Which organisms? The answer is most likely "they are mutating" but I'm just wondering which organisms you are talking about.
Virus's, colonies of bacteria, etc etc.
Stewie wrote:The mere fact that it is called a theory means that there's a vast amount of conclusive evidence.

I can see that you may not be convinced by the arguments for evolution, but did you study the science behind it?
Err, no, anything can be called a theory. I think a quasar is actually masses of living organisms emitting radio waves. Thats a theory.
Stewie wrote:A good example of evolution is antibiotic-resistant bacteria strains. Without evolution, once we found an antibiotic, it should be good forever. However, somehow bacteria develop resistance to them.
Adaptation does not=evolution though I think. The organism may change slightly to adapt, but it's never mutating into an entirely different virus or such. Just a different strain, right?
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:43 am

Post by vollkan »

IH wrote: But if there's inconclusive proof, then it's a belief that it's right. The theory of evolution is usually used as an argument against things such as creationism as the origin of life. I feel that explaining the spark of life coming from somewhere is a very important part to the correctness of evolution.
Yes, and there are explanations for the origins.

The most common is the primordial soup theory. To put this very simply, in the rather more chaotic and different atmospheric conditions of early earth organic molecules (ie. carbon-containing) form amino acids, form proteins, form building blocks of life.

The Cairns-Smith inorganic theory is basically that certain clay crystals survive longer in the prescence of certain organic molecules. Over time, the clay crystals may evolve (ie. not be destroyed) so that large deposits form with particular replications of the organic molecules. Eventually, the clay scaffolding is no longer needed and organic life arises.

Of course, this is really simplified, but the point is that there is no "spark" of life. In both of these theories, "life" arises simply by chemicals developing over time.
IH wrote: Adaptation does not=evolution though I think. The organism may change slightly to adapt, but it's never mutating into an entirely different virus or such. Just a different strain, right?
Right, but that is the beauty of evolution.

We forget that evolutionary change occurs over VERY large numbers of generations. Hence, these slight adaptations build up over generations (for bacteria, this is very short, for us quite long) and new species form.

1 tiny change may not mean much, but 100 million small changes in many different gene areas is going to have a hell of an impact.
joost
joost
Goon
joost
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:13 am

Post by joost »

The real question of course is: Do you believe in Revolution?

[i]You're[/i] a towel!

"We must hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:33 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Is there any country in the world, other than the United States, where this is a topic of debate?
IH
IH
Always Scum
IH
Always Scum
Always Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:08 am

Post by IH »

But there are still faults with the origin.

If chemicals produced it in the first place, why isn't it being reproduced today? Why can't we reproduce it?

I continue to feel like the generations is still something thats just going "BUT YOU CAN'T DISPROVE IT!"

Not only that, but alot of evidence points that the earth is not that old. Like the degeneration of the magnetic fields. Etc Etc.

Which brings me back to the main point of this thread, which is talking about teaching it in schools, right? The spin thats getting put on it is that Evolution is right, you're stupid, shut up, at least from my viewpoint, when Evolution is a highly inconclusive theory, and needs to be taught
objectively
if they insist on teaching it.

I don't believe it myself, but if they insist on teaching it, then thats how I believe things should go about.

Return to “General Discussion”