Do you believe in evolution?

This forum is for discussion about anything else.

Do you believe in Evolution?

Yes, it is how we got to where we are now
78%
No, there is no chance of evolution
7%
In theory yes, but we didn't come from primates
11%
Unsure
4%

Total votes: 161

Stewie
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (isolation #0) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:17 pm

Post by Stewie »

In theory yes, but we didn't come from primates
The theory of evolution does not say we came from primates, merely that we have a common ancestor.

I find it hard to not believe in evolution if you are actually educated on the subject on the molecular level. Given that there are random mutations, I find it hard to imagine a situation in which evolution didn't happen.
Where did the original spark of life come from?
Just because there isn't an answer yet, it doesn't mean there isn't one. It's not relevant anyways, the theory of evolution does not explain how life was created, but rather how from one common ancestor we changed to get all the species of the world.
Are these organisms ever mutating, or just repeating itself?
Which organisms? The answer is most likely "they are mutating" but I'm just wondering which organisms you are talking about.
eh I personally think that the evidence is too inconclusive to prove evolution thoroughly and scientifically myself. Viral development and such can form to make a larger organism, but.....
The mere fact that it is called a theory means that there's a vast amount of conclusive evidence.

I can see that you may not be convinced by the arguments for evolution, but did you study the science behind it?

A good example of evolution is antibiotic-resistant bacteria strains. Without evolution, once we found an antibiotic, it should be good forever. However, somehow bacteria develop resistance to them.
Stewie
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #62 (isolation #1) » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:04 pm

Post by Stewie »

But if there's inconclusive proof, then it's a belief that it's right. The theory of evolution is usually used as an argument against things such as creationism as the origin of life. I feel that explaining the spark of life coming from somewhere is a very important part to the correctness of evolution.
No, the theory of evolution explains how we got from one organism to the biodiversity we see today. The fact that some people may use evolution against creationism doesn't mean that that's what evolution is about.
Also I will remember the "just because there isn't an answer yet" in future arguments with you.
As long as you don't say it out of context, I'm sure it won't come up.
Err, no, anything can be called a theory. I think a quasar is actually masses of living organisms emitting radio waves. Thats a theory.
No, that's a hypothesis. When you test your hypothesis, it becomes more likely to be true. When you test it enough, getting positive results, the hypothesis becomes a theory, and gets accepted as truth. It's important, however, to mention that a hypothesis can never be proved to be true, only more likely to be true. Evolution has a bast body of evidence supporting it, which leads scientists to accept it as fact.

Adaptation does not=evolution though I think. The organism may change slightly to adapt, but it's never mutating into an entirely different virus or such. Just a different strain, right?

Adaptation is part of evolution. The changes are usually slight, as you said. However, over millions of years, several slight changes become significant; so much that if you were to go back in time and get the species before the first mutation and tried to mate it with the current form, there would be no viable offspring. Therefore, they would be two different species. Sometimes, a species gets separated into two populations which live in different geographical areas. The two populations adapt to two different environments, and that's when the biodiversity expands (a two or more species created from one). My bacteria example was only to show that change does occur.
Stewie
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Stewie
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #265 (isolation #2) » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:05 pm

Post by Stewie »

Foolster41 wrote: 1.)The sheer chance of life happening, and everything happening perfectly, The odds are I believe 10 to the 100th power. That's a big number.
That's a made up number.

Anyways, probability is irrelevant. Winning the lottery is hard, but it still happens. It's not about how likely it is for things to have happened the way they did, but rather to explain how things happened.

Oh, and both orbits and chemical makeup can be explained with physics and chemistry. The moon is not the only orbit, many other planets have natural satellites, some have several. I believe that if something is moving at the right distance and velocity relative to another body, it will revolve around it. Chemical composition has more to do with stages of stars, iirc.

ID is dismissed so quickly because it has no positive proof. Evolution, flawed as you think it is, has lots (and I mean lots) of positive evidence supporting it. Scientific-minded people need positive evidence to believe something or even consider it, lack of negative evidence is just crap.

Return to “General Discussion”