Do you believe in evolution?

This forum is for discussion about anything else.

Do you believe in Evolution?

Yes, it is how we got to where we are now
78%
No, there is no chance of evolution
7%
In theory yes, but we didn't come from primates
11%
Unsure
4%

Total votes: 161

Foolster41
Foolster41
Auther
Foolster41
Auther
Auther

Post Post #17 (isolation #0) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:16 pm

Post by Foolster41 »

If you mean evolution as a system for adaption and change, then yes.
If you mean the big bang, or that one species can change ot a completely differnet species, then no. (That's what the third option is there for)
Winner of the "if real life was like mafia" thread. :D
**May be going on permanent Limited Access as soon as April 1st. :(**
Foolster41
Foolster41
Auther
Foolster41
Auther
Auther

Post Post #105 (isolation #1) » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:15 am

Post by Foolster41 »

I think he was being sarcastic.

I'm not as sure about what you're saying about number 3. I had thought it was pretty well established that John (who wrote the book of John) after being exiled to Patmos (Legendz say after surviving being boiled alive, not sure how comfirmable that is) wrote Revelation. Or are you saying simply it doesn't matter? or does matter? (I'm not sure if it does or doesn't myself either way)
Foolster41
Foolster41
Auther
Foolster41
Auther
Auther

Post Post #248 (isolation #2) » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:13 pm

Post by Foolster41 »

And what exactly is this force that gets to shuffle the decks? Is it as random force or a creative one? Wouldn't the path of least resistance be to become even more disordered, not more ordered?
Foolster41
Foolster41
Auther
Foolster41
Auther
Auther

Post Post #254 (isolation #3) » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:29 pm

Post by Foolster41 »

Nightsun: I'm not sure the anallogy of gravity works. If I were to shuffle a deck, would it become more shuffled or more ordered?

Volkien: Just because some Intelligent Desaigners use faulty logic doesn't mean their wrong. Just how just because your mom and dad lied about santa claus means that God/Jesus doesn't exist. This doesn't mean he does exitst, but it is not suficent evidence to say he doesn't.

Good science is about looking at the world and trying to figure out how it works making no assumptions. There are plenty of things that bother me about evolution that have no been answered to completely trust it. I don't believe science proves God, but I don't believe it rules him out either.

Also, evolution and adaption is most certainly not the same thing. It gets grouped together all the time. It appears the same, but just isn't.
change of slight variations over generations is repeatable and observable. changing of one species has not. I haven't heard any credible evidence of half-specifies (If the evolution mistakes died off, wouldn't we find all kinds of half-specie fossils?)

1.)The sheer chance of life happening, and everything happening perfectly, The odds are I believe 10 to the 100th power. That's a big number. We have a moon that rotates around our planet, keeping it perfectly in orbit, we have solar eclipses which doesn't happen on other planets. We have good supplies of carbon and water, the materials needed for life. Alternate universes (using Quantum Physics and String Theory) is a cheat, since there is no observable way of proving the existence of said universes since they are outside ours.

2.)The Flagellem, a microscopic engine that has over 30 intrequite parts. Take away one peice and it doesn't work. only 2 parts can be found anywhere else.

I find it quite sad that IDers are dismissed out of hand, even though there are perfectly good reasons to possibly question Darwinist evolution.
Foolster41
Foolster41
Auther
Foolster41
Auther
Auther

Post Post #271 (isolation #4) » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:22 am

Post by Foolster41 »

Thew number was an approximate of something I heard somewhere. Or I had thought I had remembered from somewhere. My memory is most likely wrong. It seems beside the point anyway. It was not meant as a hard number (Though I suppose I should have said i was estimating.)

I understand that eclipses is hardly neccisery for life, but it is one more feature that shows up nowhere else that seems to have the sole purpose of being for the species on that planet's visual enjoyment. It's not a major proof, but a small thought.

I had thought someone here said that "evolution=adaption". Not sure who, but this does come up more times than you'd think.

"ID is dismissed so quickly because it has no positive proof. Evolution, flawed as you think it is, has lots (and I mean lots) of positive evidence supporting it. Scientific-minded people need positive evidence to believe something or even consider it, lack of negative evidence is just crap."

The problem is evolution (changes between speciies over millions and billions of years) is completely unobservable and unrepeatable. If you could give some examples of proofs, I'd appreciate it. I've never seen any particular proof that evolution is true and so that's why I'm having a hard time just accepting it.
Last edited by Foolster41 on Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Foolster41
Foolster41
Auther
Foolster41
Auther
Auther

Post Post #275 (isolation #5) » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:10 pm

Post by Foolster41 »

...what does our visual enjoyment have to do with anything? If it was the other way around, you'd be saying "See, ours is the only planet without eclipses, and that's clearly just God helping us so we avoid the hassle of sudden unexpected darkness".
Fallacy of argument. You're making a supoosistion of argument for another person. Though I admit it is not a very large proof at all. (As I stated earlier)

That is naterual selection you arer descirbing. I do beleive naterual slection exists. I have aboslutly no trouble with that at all. Unfortunitly you are making the leap that it COULD change things from one drasticly different species to another. How do you KNOW an ape can become a man eventualy? What i want is hard PROOF, not speculation.
Foolster41
Foolster41
Auther
Foolster41
Auther
Auther

Post Post #279 (isolation #6) » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:53 am

Post by Foolster41 »

I do have a few more questions

How do creatures when they evolve from one eviron to another (For example from underwater to on land). What i mean is, wouldn't there be multiple steps to surviving (Wouldn't they need land movment and lung power at the same time?)

How do we KNOW the world is old?

Are there CREDIABLE cavemen you could point me to (Not Hoaxes, Donkeys or people with rickets)?

Where do the other parts in the flaggellem come from? From what I gather it is unexplianed where those extra (nessicery) parts come from, which defies evolutionary idea of "small steps.

It is easy to say "We're here, so we must have gotten lucky" But that is not a scientific method at all,

"What sort of proof is it that you want? There is an overwhelming amount of evidence in favour of evolution. "
Again, I havn't seen it if it is there. Maybe I simply missed something and would appreciate anything that could help me understand it.
What you've said so far is proof that evolution COULD happen. What i'd like is proof that it is true, since you claim it is so obvious,
Foolster41
Foolster41
Auther
Foolster41
Auther
Auther

Post Post #283 (isolation #7) » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:33 pm

Post by Foolster41 »

How do you know the half-life of radioactive isotopes. Since 80,000,000 is much longer than evne recorded history then how do we KNOW that it lasts that long? A measurjng tool is only useful if we know how long that tool is. So, where does these number come from?

People here keep saying "I have lots" and yet do not supply any examples. To be fair, this may just be there are o many you don't know where to begin, but specific examples would be appreciated.

There are a few vonterversies with Lucy (And no I don't mean the knee bone thing with seems a false claim against it.). People like Dr. Charles Oxnard http://www.answersingenesis.org/creatio ... 3/lucy.asp

I don't mean to be diffacult, but I am genuinly trying to understand your point of view in order to arrive at the truth.
Foolster41
Foolster41
Auther
Foolster41
Auther
Auther

Post Post #285 (isolation #8) » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:22 pm

Post by Foolster41 »

Why is the site it not creditable? Because they have the preposition that they believe in creationism because of their observations?

I did look at talkorigins and I did see plenty on the knee distance thing (Which I'm willing to concede isn't good evidence against Lucy) but nothing about Oxnard or his quote. EDIT: Oh wait. I did find something.

I'll need mro time to look at the rest. Thanks for the start.
Last edited by Foolster41 on Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foolster41
Foolster41
Auther
Foolster41
Auther
Auther

Post Post #315 (isolation #9) » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:50 pm

Post by Foolster41 »

So the fact that stalin was a aithest is coincidence, but religion is a the excuse and caue of many murders? If this is what you are really saying this seems pretty unfair.

Return to “General Discussion”