Code Mafia: Interest Gauge.

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Code Mafia: Interest Gauge.

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:50 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Hey, I'm thinking about running a set up that is based around a theme that includes coding challenges as a major component of the game. Not talking about anything super difficult, but there are algorithmic challenges that the players have to solve at certain points throughout the day. I've noticed a lot of coders on the site and I think it would be a really sweet idea (I've already written out a skeleton for it)

I just wonder if there would be enough interest in this game (a large enough pool of players who would find this sort of thing doable and fun) in order to make it worth my while to put in the work to finish designing it.

So, simple question: Do you think this would work, or do you think the pool of potential players is too small? Especially interested in knowing if this is something you personally would like.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #2 (isolation #1) » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:24 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

All challenges would be language agnostic!

:)
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #6 (isolation #2) » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:26 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

Why wouldn't you be able to join?
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #8 (isolation #3) » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:09 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

Here's an example of a challenge on the very easiest bound of what will be in the game. (though this specific challenge will not be in the game.)

You are attempting to get to the correct floor of a large apartment building, trying to prevent the terrorists from blowing it up. Unfortunately, your instructions for which floor they are on comes from an encoded communication and its all garbled. Luckily, your support team has given you a key for figuring out what it means.

An opening parenthesis, (, means you should go up one floor, and a closing parenthesis, ), means you should go down one floor.

The apartment building is very tall, and the basement is very deep; you will never find the top or bottom floors.

For example:

(()) and ()() both result in floor 0.
((( and (()(()( both result in floor 3.
))((((( also results in floor 3.
()) and ))( both result in floor -1 (the first basement level).
))) and )())()) both result in floor -3.

given the instructions, what floor do you have to reach to stop the plot?

Code: Select all

((((()(()(((((((()))(((()((((()())(())()(((()((((((()((()(()(((()(()((())))()((()()())))))))))()((((((())((()))(((((()(((((((((()()))((()(())()((())((()(()))((()))()))()(((((()(((()()))()())((()((((())()())()((((())()(()(()(((()(())(()(())(((((((())()()(((())(()(()(()(())))(()((((())((()))(((()(()()(((((()()(()(((()(((((())()))()((()(()))()((()((((())((((())(()(((())()()(()()()()()(())((((())((())(()()))()((((())))((((()())()((((())((()())((())(())(((((()((((()(((()((((())(()(((()()))()))((((((()((())()())))(((()(()))(()()(()(((()(()))((()()()())((()()()(((())())()())())())((()))(()(()))(((((()(()(())((()(())(())()((((()())()))((((())(())((())())((((()(((())(())((()()((((()((((((()(())()()(()(()()((((()))(())()())()))(())))(())))())()()(())(()))()((()(()(())()()))(()())))))(()))(()()))(())(((((()(()(()()((())()())))))((())())((())(()(())((()))(())(((()((((((((()()()(()))()()(((()))()((()()(())(())())()(()(())))(((((()(())(())(()))))())()))(()))()(()(((((((()((((())))())())())())()((((((((((((((()()((((((()()()())())()())())())(())(())))())((()())((()(()))))))()))))))))))))))))())((())((())()()))))))(((()((()(()()))((())(()()))()()())))(())))))))(()(((())))())()())))()()(())()))()(()))())((()()))))(()))))()))(()()(())))))))()(((()))))()(()))(())())))))()))((()))((()))())(())))))))))((((())()))()))()))())(())()()(())))())))(()())()))((()()(())))(())((((((()(())((()(((()(()()(())))()))))))()))()(()((()))()(()))(()(((())((((())())(())(()))))))))())))))))())())))))())))))()()(((())()(()))))))))())))))(())()()()))()))()))(()(())()()())())))))))())()(()(()))))()()()))))())(()))))()()))))()())))))(((())()()))(()))))))))))()()))))()()()))))(()())())()()())()(()))))()(()))(())))))))(((((())(())())()()))()()))(())))))()(()))))(())(()()))()())()))()))()))()))))())()()))())())))(()))(()))))))())()(((())()))))))))()))()())))())))())))()))))))))))()()))(()()))))))(())()(()))))())(()))))(()))))(()())))))())())()()))))())()))))))))(()))))()))))))()(()())))))))()))())))())))())))())))))))())(()()))))))(()())())))()())()))))))))))))))())))()(())))()))())()()(())(()()))(())))())()())(()(()(()))))())))))))))))())(()))()))()))))(())()())()())))))))))))()()))))))))))))())())))))(()())))))))))))())(())))()))))))))())())(()))()))(())))()))()()(())()))))))()((((())()))())())))))()))()))))((()())()))))())))(())))))))))))))))))()))))()()())()))()()))))())()))((()())))())))(()))(()())))))))()))()))))(())))))))(())))))())()()(()))())()))()()))))())()()))))())()))())))))))(()))))()())()))))))))(()))())))(()))()))))(())()))())())(())())())))))))((((())))))()))()))()())()(())))()))()))()())(()())()()(()())()))))())())))))(()))()))))())(()()(())))))(())()()((())())))))(())(())))))))())))))))))()(())))))))()())())())()(()))))))))(()))))))))())()()))()(()))))))()))))))())))))))(())))()()(())()())))))(((())))()((())()))())))(()()))())(())())))()(((()())))))()(()()())))()()(()()(()()))())()(()()()))())()()))()())(()))))())))))())))(())()()))))(()))))(())(()))(())))))()()))()))))())()))()()(())())))((()))())()))))))()()))))((()(()))))()()))))))())))))())(()((()())))))))))))()())())))()))(()))))))(()))(())()())))(()))))))))())()()()()))))(()())))))))((())))()))(()))(())(())()())()))))))))(())))())))(()))()()))(()()))(()))())))()(())))())((()((()(())))((())))()))))((((())())()())))(())))()))))))())(()()((())))())()(()())))))(()())()))())))))))((())())))))))(()(()))())()()(()()(((()(((()())))))()))))))()(())(()()((()()(())()()))())()())()))()())())())))))))(((())))))))()()))))))(((())()))(()()))(()()))))(()(()()((((())()())((()()))))(()(())))))()((()()()())()()((()((()()))(()))(((()()()))(((())))()(((())()))))))((()(())())))(()())(((((()(()))(()((()))(()())()))))(()(()))()(()))(())(((())(()()))))()()))(((()))))(()()()()))())))((()()()(())()))()))))()()))()))))))((((((()()()))))())((()()(((()))))(()(())(()()())())())))()(((()()))(())((())))(()))(()()()())((())())())(()))))()))()((()(())()(()()(())(()))(())()))(())(()))))(())(())())(()()(()((()()((())))((()))()((())))(((()()()()((((()))(()()))()()()(((())((())())(()()(()()()))()((())(())()))())(((()()(())))()((()()())()())(()(())())(((())(())())((())(())()(((()()))(())))((())(()())())(())((()()()((((((())))((()(((((())()))()))(())(()()))()))(())()()))(())((()()())()()(()))())()((())))()((()()())((((()())((())())())((()((()))()))((())((()()(()((()()(((())(()()))))((()((())()(((())(()((())())((())(()((((((())())()(()())()(())(((())((((((()(())(()((()()()((()()(()()()())))()()(((((()()))()((((((()))()(()(()(()(((()())((()))())()((()))(())))()))()()))())()()))())((((())(()(()))(((((((())(((()(((((()(((()()((((())(((())())))(()()()(()(()))()))((((((()))((()(((()(())((()((((()((((((())(((((())))(((()(()))))(((()(((())()((())(()((()))(((()()(((())((((()(()(((((()))(((()(((((((()(()()()(()(()(()()())(())(((((()(())())()())(()(()(()))()(()()()())(()()(()((()))()((())())()(()))((())(()))()(()))()(((()(()(()((((((()()()()())()(((((()()(((()()()((()(((((()))((((((((()()()(((((()))))))(()()()(())(()))(()()))))(())()))(((((()(((((()()(()(()())(((()))((((()((()(()(()((()(()((())))()(((()((()))((()))(((((((((()((()((()(())))()((((()((()()))((())(((()(((((()()(()(()()((()(()()()(((((((())())()())))))((((()()(()))()))(()((())()(()(((((((((()()(((()(()())(()((()())((())())((((()(((()(((()((((()((()((((()(()((((((())((((((((((((()()(()()((((((((((((((()((()()))()((((((((((((())((((()(()())((()(()(()))()(((((()()(((()()))()())(())((()(((((()((())(((((()((()(((((()))()()((((())()((((())(((((((((()(())(()(())))())(()((())(((())(())(())())(()(()(())()()((()((())()(((()(((((()(())))()(((()((())))((()()()(((()(((()((()(()(())(()((()())(()(()(((()(((((((((())(()((((()()))(()((((()()()()(((()((((((((()(()()((((((()(()()(()((()((((((((((()()(((((((()())(())))(((()()))(((((()((()()())(()()((((())((()((((()))))(())((()(()()(((()(()(((()((((()(((((()))())())(()((())()))(((()())((())((())((((()((()((((((())(()((((()()))((((((())()(()))((()(((())((((((((((()()(((((()(((((()((()()()((((())))(()))()((()(())()()((()((((((((((()((())(())(((((()(()(()()))((((()((((()()((()(((()(((((((((()(()((()((()))((((((()(((())()()((()(((((((()())))()()(()((()((()()(((()(()()()()((((()((())((((()(((((((((()(((()()(((()(()(((()(((()((())()(()((()(()(()(()))()(((()))(()((((()((())((((())((((((())(()))(()((((())((()(()((((((((()()((((((()(()(()()()(())((()((()()(((()(((((((()()((()(((((((()))(((((()(((()(()()()(()(((()((()()((())(()(((((((((()(()((()((((((()()((())()))(((((()((())()())()(((((((((((()))((((()()()()())(()()(()(()()))()))(()))(()(((()()))())(()(()))()()((())(()())()())()(()))()))(()()(()((((((())((()(((((((((((()(())()((()(()((()((()(()((()((((((((((()()())((())()(())))((())()())()(((((()(()())((((()((()(())(()))(((())()((()))(((((())(()))()()(()))(((())((((()((((()(())))(((((((()))))())()())(())((())()(()()((()(()))()(()()(()()((()())((())((()()))((((()))()()))(()()(())()()(((((()(())((()((((()))()))(()())())(((()()(()()))(())))))(()))((())(((((()((((()))()((((()))()((())(((())))(((()())))((()(()()((
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #12 (isolation #4) » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

I have a game design. I'm not worried about it. I am pretty happy with it as a mafia game, I just don't want to try to run it if there aren't enough people that want to play it.

In the example accountant, you would send me the correct answer. Like I said, this is an example of something pretty easy. How you get it is up to you. In this particular challenge it is possible, although really time consuming, to get the solution using no code at all.

I just want people to get a feel for what the difficulty might be like.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #15 (isolation #5) » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:34 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 13, Accountant wrote:What's stopping someone from manually counting the brackets?

In this example, nothing.

But that's a feature, not a bug.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #17 (isolation #6) » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:25 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

In this particular challenge no I am not.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #25 (isolation #7) » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:20 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

In post 18, Kagami wrote:
In post 16, Psyche wrote:oh, so you're not asking for people's code

Asking for code is absurd if the challenge is intended to be code-agnostic.

I think I'd be more interested as a mish mash. It seems like you'd have to be very meticulous about how challenges are assigned (i.e. determine
everything
pregame) to avoid problems with mod intervention, and the game is going to suffer if some players will easily complete all the challenges, while others will complete relatively few.

I will be don't worry. Everything is scripted pre game.

The second thing is why I want people who already have some idea how to code. I would not recommend this game if you're just like "eh, I can probably figure out some code stuff"
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #27 (isolation #8) » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:36 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

I think given this reaction I'll probably put in the work to run it.

If it doesn't fire it doesn't fire.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #30 (isolation #9) » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:54 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

If someone wants to do it as a mish mash game they can feel free. I don't understand why that would have to be an either or proposition. Like, the fact that we have mish mash survivor games does not preclude us from having survivor themed mafia games.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #32 (isolation #10) » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:42 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

Have no problems with a mish mash code game!

that sounds awesome. I'd likely play in it.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #37 (isolation #11) » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:23 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

is there no difference between variable assignment and conditional checks in python?

that's weird. Most languages I've worked in use = vs == or something similar to differentiate the two.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #42 (isolation #12) » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:52 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Code: Select all

a = 19998989890
b = 19998989889 +1
>>> a is b
False
>>> a == b
True

There's a reason different operators exist. The reason it works for you is you haven't come across the edge cases yet, I would imagine.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #47 (isolation #13) » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:03 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

I don't think continuing to post and answer code challenges is really consistent with the purpose of this thread or the forum its in, though.

Probably should make a new thread somewhere if you want to keep doing that.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”