Townie Responsibilities

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #11 (isolation #0) » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:07 am

Post by callforjudgement »

Looking town is definitely often at odds with scumhunting; the easiest way to look town as town is to be completely open about your motivations for everything (which is hard to fake), but this makes scumhunting difficult as you can't set traps. I normally prioritize looking town more (especially if I'm scum!, but somewhat even as town), and more so if I'm being scumread (e.g. I replaced someone at L-1).

The best medium here is, AFAICT, to be open about your motivations for everything to do but with a time delay (after you've got a response to your post, or after 24 hours or so). That way you're unlikely to be mislynched but you can still get some decent scumhunting in. (Because I play this way as town, I have to try to fake it as scum. I am not always successful, especially later in the game. OTOH, early in the game it's easier to look townish as scum than as town, because you have a better handle on the game.)

Doing a gambit that brings a lot of suspicion onto you is nearly always a bad idea (although not as bad as a gambit that might expose other hidden information from your faction, such as the identities of town power roles when you're town). The exception is mainly if you're an activated Innocent Child or have some other way to prove your alignment.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #17 (isolation #1) » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:57 pm

@kuribo: Out of interest, how many times have you been lynched as scum?
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #19 (isolation #2) » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:31 am

That's actually a pretty impressive record (taking into the account that the site's meta as a whole is scumsided, i.e. scum win more games than town total).
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #28 (isolation #3) » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:06 pm

Yes, but if someone's town, lynching them is unfortunately often a bad idea even
if
they're a liability.

It tends to be a better idea the earlier you are in the game (which is why policy lynches most often happen on Day 1). In fact, I suspect policy lynching the player with the most scumsided playstyle is the best play on Day 1 of a 2:11 mountainous game (basically because it hardly hurts your EV if they're town, you may well have to live with them all game otherwise as scum won't NK them, and there's always the chance that they happened to roll scum this game).
scum
town

Return to “Mafia Discussion”