New Normal Guidelines - April 2017 update!

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Sméagol
Sméagol
Goon
Sméagol
Goon
Goon

Post Post #219 (isolation #0) » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:50 am

Post by Sméagol »

As far as I understand, a ninja tracker is not allowed right? Why is that? Can't see why you shouldn't have it as an option if you allow mafia watchers (or just having it as a modifier option for town in general).

And a question: is backups of backups a thing? The wiki doesn't mention anything about it.
O
r
w
e
c
o
u
l
d
s
u
r
r
e
n
d
e
r
A
n
d
l
e
t
l
o
v
e
i
n
v
a
d
e
u
s

sign-ups
: none
/
running
/
coming up
: large normal (18p) / micro theme (9)
Sméagol
Sméagol
Goon
Sméagol
Goon
Goon

Post Post #221 (isolation #1) » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:34 am

Post by Sméagol »

It was just a hypothetical question when I posted it.. I think "being excessive" is a balance issue, and something that can be adressed. I get why you don't want a straight cop / backup cop / backup backup cop in one game, but there are so many other possibilities when you play around with this. Like I said, it was hypothetical when I posted that question, but I built a set-up around it after that.
If it's not allowed, too bad, I'll save it for themes, if it is, then one thing must be clarified.. What exactly triggers them. Personally I'd not only trigger backup backups on death of the backup, but also on when the backup gets triggered and becomes the primary role.

Edit:

I was thinking about this after reading the setup review for the Bees mini, which has 2 backups without a primary role. I believe in the review there was a primary role at one point, which raised the question which one should be triggered.. Which got me thinking there's an easy solution for that.
O
r
w
e
c
o
u
l
d
s
u
r
r
e
n
d
e
r
A
n
d
l
e
t
l
o
v
e
i
n
v
a
d
e
u
s

sign-ups
/
running
/
coming up
Sméagol
Sméagol
Goon
Sméagol
Goon
Goon

Post Post #252 (isolation #2) » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:04 am

Post by Sméagol »

Can I ask why ninja isn't a normal town modifier? I definitely can imagine a use for town ninja power roles.

And the new night-specific modifier.. Can that one be used as "From night x and beyond" (since apparently you can specify a range of nights)? For example, I don't want something used on night 1, but don't want any restrictions beyond that, so: Night 2-and beyond cop, or what ever power role.
O
r
w
e
c
o
u
l
d
s
u
r
r
e
n
d
e
r
A
n
d
l
e
t
l
o
v
e
i
n
v
a
d
e
u
s

sign-ups
/
running
/
coming up
Sméagol
Sméagol
Goon
Sméagol
Goon
Goon

Post Post #256 (isolation #3) » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:12 pm

Post by Sméagol »

I don't have any immediate use for ninja townies myself, but I just think it's strange.

A night 2+ modifier however, I can find a use for.
O
r
w
e
c
o
u
l
d
s
u
r
r
e
n
d
e
r
A
n
d
l
e
t
l
o
v
e
i
n
v
a
d
e
u
s

sign-ups
/
running
/
coming up
Sméagol
Sméagol
Goon
Sméagol
Goon
Goon

Post Post #298 (isolation #4) » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:51 am

Post by Sméagol »

Why is a Godfather blacklisted, but the Miller isn't?
I don't feel the need to have either blacklisted, but this seems inconsistent to me.
Just want to know why, don't want Millers blacklisted as well, I'd like to have the option to use them.
O
r
w
e
c
o
u
l
d
s
u
r
r
e
n
d
e
r
A
n
d
l
e
t
l
o
v
e
i
n
v
a
d
e
u
s

sign-ups
/
running
/
coming up
Sméagol
Sméagol
Goon
Sméagol
Goon
Goon

Post Post #303 (isolation #5) » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:24 am

Post by Sméagol »

Well, regarding the redlisting options Callforjudgement posted, I'd be in favour of option 2, adding a disclaimer.
With themes you have an optional disclaimer of calling ylour game "bastard", I think you could have a "normal-extended" disclaimer, which would allow for a few extra roles and modifiers, like godfather.
O
r
w
e
c
o
u
l
d
s
u
r
r
e
n
d
e
r
A
n
d
l
e
t
l
o
v
e
i
n
v
a
d
e
u
s

sign-ups
/
running
/
coming up
Sméagol
Sméagol
Goon
Sméagol
Goon
Goon

Post Post #332 (isolation #6) » Sun May 08, 2016 10:01 am

Post by Sméagol »

Some comments / questions / suggestions.

- First a nitpick, but on the wiki page for the normal guidelines, "If you are not moderating on mafiascum.net, you are not bound by this page." really comes across as arrogant to me.

- I think it may be useful to have separate wiki pages for normal versions of roles. Especially for new mods and players, who come out the newbie queue and choose the normal queue to play and / or mod their first game, the wiki pages are cluttered with info that's not relevant to them. I think a page that just describes the normal version of a role would come in handy. Maybe include role PMs for those who can't be arsed to write their own.

- In addition, I think it may be useful to dedicate a page to the greylist role phenomenon, explaining what it is, and what is generally allowed, perhaps some examples. You should perhaps change the name as well, greylist is the most common term believe, but this implies the role is listed somewhere, which isn't necessarily the case.

- Universal backups are restricted to power roles of the same faction. Are regular backups as well? It's not mentioned, so I'm wondering if opposing faction backups are actually legal.

- Are jack-of-all-trades required to only use 1-shots, or can you use other numbers? For example:
Jack-of-all-trades (1-shot cop; 2-shot neapolitan)

- I would love to see "all-purpose shots" for jack-of-all-trades. Say you have 2 abilities, and 2 shots, but can choose how to spend them. For example:
2 all-purpose shots Jack-of-all-trades (role cop; tracker)

This role could use 2 role cop abilities, 2 tracker abilities, or a mix.

- I'd also love to see "informed" as a normal modifier, though with the exact implementation decided during review. Imagine a world where cops where informed about godfathers. But that's just one example, it could have so many uses.
O
r
w
e
c
o
u
l
d
s
u
r