new fire emblem fuck yeah.

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri May 20, 2016 2:49 pm

Post by Vi »

To be fair, this isn't the kind of genre where one-unit runs are interesting to start with <.<
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sat May 21, 2016 3:10 am

Post by PJ. »

I thought birthright was plenty hard and had the more interesting characters, beside carmella or w/e oppai dragon ladies name is
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Heat
Heat
Mafia Scum
Heat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sat May 21, 2016 12:16 pm

Post by Heat »

I still need to buy conquest OOPS

LEO IM SORRY
YOU ARE AWFUL - DGB
Heat why do you replace into a game and then do jack shit - spiffeh
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sun May 22, 2016 12:32 am

Post by Randomnamechange »

Really enjoying birthright so far, characters are great.
Hanasawa
Hanasawa
Goon
Hanasawa
Goon
Goon

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sun May 22, 2016 1:06 am

Post by Hanasawa »

I took a gamble to think that one site would have the special edition after.

Needless to say that I should not do that ever again, I'm going to cry now and just buy the regular version and the DLC because ehh, I bought the amiibos I wanted for it. I look forward to playing this so much and hopefully not being disappointed.
"It hurts to have control over anything. I'd rather be a leaf in the wind."
Call me Lily instead. Avatar is Bellossom from Pokemon! drawn by Ether.
Espeonage (08:39) - lily is happy = everything is good with the world
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sun May 22, 2016 3:13 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 29, Hanasawa wrote:I took a gamble to think that one site would have the special edition after.
You're PAL, right? I heard that sold out in a few hours.
I still need to buy conquest OOPS

LEO IM SORRY
YOU CAN'T HIDE FROM HIM
I thought birthright was plenty hard and had the more interesting characters, beside carmella or w/e oppai dragon ladies name is
Really enjoying birthright so far, characters are great.
all fair
but
burning question: is rinkah one of your favorites

rinkah favoritism is something to get heated over
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sun May 22, 2016 5:48 pm

Post by PJ. »

I didn't hate rinkah. She was fine. I like big brother birthright and little sister birthright better. Oppai Dragon Sister is better than Hinoka. Both little brother were unappealing. I haven't played much conquest though. Setsuna and Asugi are really great. Kaden is better than wolf man.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sun May 22, 2016 7:52 pm

Post by Natirasha »

Birthright has better gays but Nohr has more interesting characters and Peri.

I wanna go hide in a hole with Setsuna then sleep on Rinkah's squishy fake abs.

Except not really because I wouldn't cheat on Peri.

Also I made a fire emblem romhack and its wild.
Current Avatar: Dr. Contessa(OC, art by @pastelpuffin)
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sun May 22, 2016 8:03 pm

Post by Randomnamechange »

Favourites so far are Setsuna, Kaze and Subuki.
Heat
Heat
Mafia Scum
Heat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:59 pm

Post by Heat »

I BOUGHT CONQUEST camilla is gonna be my wife and i love her so much

also takumi is a fucking asshat, and i love it when i get to murder him repeatedly chapter after chapter. I hate the hinoka fights though, i always feel kinda bad
YOU ARE AWFUL - DGB
Heat why do you replace into a game and then do jack shit - spiffeh
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:26 pm

Post by Vi »

Takumi is a fucking asshat, and i love it when i get to murder him repeatedly chapter after chapter.
Tacomeat is great though. He's a much better character in this game than he is in Birthright.
(Plus I love how Fates not only has the guts to make a Sniper a boss, but makes that Sniper one of the most tactically interesting bosses in the series.)
In post 34, Heat wrote:I hate the hinoka fights though, i always feel kinda bad
Oh the Hinoka fights do make you feel bad, but not necessarily for sentimental reasons. :?
I think Hinoka round 2 is the hardest boss in Conquest.

--

Also I'm near the end of Conquest Lunatic and, um, I can see why the people who tried playing this blind have an unrelenting hatred for this game. As for my part, I think I'm just going to go ahead and get it over with. Siegbert's paralogue gives me Advance Wars 1 Advance Campaign flashbacks; it might be one of the most legitimately difficult levels in the series. Eight hours later I'm going to say I tried so hard and got so far, and in the end the kid doesn't even matter. (He's worse than my Percy statwise and comes at a higher level; why am I doing this to myself)
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:10 am

Post by Vi »

In post 35, Vi wrote:Also I'm near the end of Conquest Lunatic and, um, I can see why the people who tried playing this blind have an unrelenting hatred for this game. As for my part, I think I'm just going to go ahead and get it over with. Siegbert's paralogue gives me Advance Wars 1 Advance Campaign flashbacks; it might be one of the most legitimately difficult levels in the series. Eight hours later I'm going to say I tried so hard and got so far, and in the end the kid doesn't even matter. (He's worse than my Percy statwise and comes at a higher level; why am I doing this to myself)
Update: Just beat Conquest Endgame. That
sucked
, although admittedly trusting Arthur with a Brave Axe was not the most pragmatic decision I've made. It's actually not a bad map in the sense that it really is a last stand - whatever you use and whoever you sacrifice doesn't matter as long as you hit the win condition and (Classic Mode) Corrin lives through it, so sell everything, buy all the tonics and the fancy weapons, and get whoever you can ready for some brutal staff-to-staff combat.

Spoiler: The final score:
*Nohr Noble Kana (via Elise): Could block two enemies in Chapter 26. Three could hit her.
*Paladin Corrin - +Str -Def. Spent basically all of the fracas hiding so he couldn't be dragged down by Enfeeble. 26 damage on the final boss was pretty cool and he dealt the first and last hit, although I couldn't get him to double.
*Paladin Siegbert - Originally supposed to fill in for Kana, but turned out better since he was a 9-move ferrybot. Got two crucial kills out of him, one being the Hexing Rod luser.
*Berserker Percy (via Effie) - Arthur without the downsides is so good. Did a fair amount of heavy lifting in the middle of the map, and also doubled as Arthur's shield.
*Sorcerer Ophelia (via Felicia) - The only survivor of the massacre at the end, because Vantage + forged Mjolnir + Vengeance. Even if you don't go full Numbers Emblem on her, as long as she inherits Vantage she's kind of ridiculous.
*Onmyoji Izana - Hid behind Ophelia the whole time. He had Enfeeble and Heal but he found a better use.
*Strategist Felicia - Failed to dodge two Silver Shirukens at 33% (Shirukenbreaker + Gate - Enfeeble) on Turn 3. She had all four breakers, but the last bit of the map is full of lances so I don't know what else she could have done had she lived. Held Enfeeble.
*Wyvern Lord Camilla - Got Enfeebled, and then blown up by a Malig Knight on like Turn 4. The original wielder of the Brave Axe, and I burned my only charge of Rescue getting her back after having her knock out the nearest Maid on Turn 1.
*Wyvern Lord Beruka - Filler + Rally Defense person. Got destroyed as a decoy on Turn 5.
*Songstress Azura - Actually got a kill supporting Odin while he did 0 damage to something. Got destroyed as a decoy on Turn 5.
*Sorcerer Odin - I think he actually got one kill on this map, not including the one where Azura helped. Got destroyed as a decoy on Turn 5.
*Maid Flora - Entrap + Freeze duty. Got destroyed as a decoy on Turn 5.
*Strategist Elise - Awful Skill meant that she was better off using Freeze. Got destroyed as a decoy on Turn 6 (thanks Arthur).
*Paladin Xander - Somehow didn't get Enfeebled much over the course of the battle, but he couldn't do much to the final boss, so he got killed by a rogue Bow Knight on Turn 6.
*Paladin Silas - Xander's pair-up. Didn't have a chance once Xander fell. Gave the final boss half their health back because of Lifetaker on Turn 6, which was really not what I needed.
*Adventurer Anna - Because Shining Bow at 33 Mag, plus no one cared enough about her to Enfeeble her. Died removing the final boss's Dual Guard on Player Phase 7.
*Berserker Arthur - Could have ended the battle on Turn 6 if he had connected with two of the three Brave Axe hits on the final boss (61% Hit, 29% crit). Instead he got one, and died getting countered after hitting hard with Berserker's Axe on Player Phase 7.

Izana - 0/0 - base level
Azura - 4/1 - ended at Lv. 30
Siegbert - 8/7 - Fifth to hit level cap
Flora - 42/22 - ended at Lv. 9
Kana - 47/28 - was at like Lv. 14 or something
Percy - 59/36 - ended at Lv. 19
Anna - 81/51 - ended at Lv. 14 or so
Ophelia - 89/58 - Fourth to hit level cap
Beruka - 114/60 - ended at Lv. 13
Camilla - 144/78 - ended at Lv. 19
Elise - 151/89 - ended at Lv. 17
Silas - 160/92 - ended at Lv. 15
Arthur - 200/102 - ended at Lv. 19
Xander - 205/102 - Third to hit level cap
Felicia - 230/146 - First to hit level cap
Corrin - 266/149 - Second to hit level cap
Odin - 293/131 - ended at Lv. 15
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:25 am

Post by Vi »

Bumping this thread like I own this site.
In post 83, Andrius wrote:
In post 82, Vi wrote:Fates in particular probably has the best game mechanics in the series.
I know the Official Fire Emblem thread is dead (my GTKAS) but I'd love to hear your reasoning to this.
If the answer is 'Conquest', I'll just take you on your word as that's the only story I haven't played and have no intentions on doing so.
I've basically heard Conquest is the only challenging game mode if and of itself, but there are other things that just turn me off to Conquest.
Even aside Conquest, the Skill system is rad, the stances make gameplay fun if you're not playing Backpack Emblem, and Heart Seals are fun to play around with. There are absolutely flaws with it (ninjas suck in every game for one reason or another) but I think in the end it probably noses out the Tellius games simply because units don't have to be confined to one role (and plus I feel like the Tellius games wasted potential in some fronts).

Also if you like every other game in the series and you didn't like BR/Rev you'd probably like Conquest quite a bit? You don't have to play it on the highest difficulty; that stuff gets unreasonable near endgame and CQ Hard is more engaging than the other two routes by a wide margin.
Fluminator
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:35 am

Post by Fluminator »

It's always exciting learning someone else has played through Thracia 776. (Andrius mentioned playing it)
I'm starting my first playthrough of Path of Radiance soon. The game boy games and SNES games are some of the defining games in my childhood. But for some reason I never played PoR or RD until now. I might try the 3DS ones.
Last edited by Fluminator on Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fluminator
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:39 am

Post by Fluminator »

The best way to play these games are ironman runs. No restarts if characters die. The earlier games were actually designed to be played like that.
I think in an interview I read the producers started realizing people always restarted when a character died and begun to adjust the gameplay around fire emblem 6.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:42 am

Post by Vi »

I tried getting through Thracia but Manster really, really, sucks and by the time I got to the level after the gaiden after Carrion shows up I was completely out of fs to give about any of it. It's a shame because I really like the Capture mechanic.

The Tellius games are my favorites by a huge margin! (to such an extent that I ran two Mafia games in that setting <.<) IMO Path of Radiance is a lot more interesting if you don't use bonus experience, so yeah.

Awakening is okay. Fates Conquest is super-cool IMO, and you can decide whether you want to dump $40 more on it (knowing you've seen the best of it) afterward.
I think in an interview I read the producers started realizing people always restarted when a character died and begun to adjust the gameplay around fire emblem 6.
I'm pretty sure anyone who tries to no-reset FE5 is out of their mind. Fates is also really, really not designed for this. But the rest, yeah, it's pretty hard to get into a truly unwinnable situation.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:46 am

Post by Andrius »

I dont know bout Backpack Emblem but I live No HP Growth Emblem.

I like skills. I like Heart Seals, as Second Seals were too broken. Ninjas are fast but no ninja has a decent enough strength growth to actually be useful. I feel like there are fewer actually good classes, even if Snipers are back to their RD-era level of absolute amazingness.

I mean, I like every game in the series for what it is but I definitely have favorites (4, 9/10, 13). Id like the difficulty of Conquest but I have no story/flavor reason to take that route. There is no reason for me to play Conquest other than difficulty. Also they kill Scarlet in Conquest which is unacceptable.
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:49 am

Post by Andrius »

In post 38, Fluminator wrote:It's always exciting learning someone else has played through Thracia 776. (Andrius mentioned playing it)
I'm starting my first playthrough of Path of Radiance soon. The game boy games and SNES games are some of the defining games in my childhood. But for some reason I never played PoR or RD until now. I might try the 3DS ones.
I, uh, started but never finished Thracia 776. Also hi Flum! <3

Genealogy of the Holy War might be my favorite FE. Children without time travel or crappy outrealms bull from Fates. Characters die. The castles are cool. Story is great. They dont have supports but there are conversations and Lovers and even SIBLING crits.
Fluminator
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:00 am

Post by Fluminator »

Hey! Good to see you again.
Also really you guys. I might have to post a let's play of Thracia so you guys can appreciate the game fully.
A lot of people I know say the manster section is brutal (and the rest of the game being good) but I honestly loved that section too.
I'm really looking forward to 9 and 10. I finally have time over Christmas break to play through them. I'll probably post my thoughts on it.
Genealogy is probably my favorite too. Gameplay wise it's kind of broken but the story makes up for it. I used to have a bunch of fan fics written for it.

My other favorite is Sacred Stones. I recognize all the flaws and understand why some people don't like it but I love that one. I appreciate the game more everytime I play it.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:07 am

Post by Vi »

In post 41, Andrius wrote:Ninjas are fast but no ninja has a decent enough strength growth to actually be useful. I feel like there are fewer actually good classes, even if Snipers are back to their RD-era level of absolute amazingness.
Saizo and Kagero are wondering wtf you're going on about. Kagero in particular stands out because her personal Str growth is 65%(!!). Also enemy Ninjas are total bollocks.

Conquest also has the best music if that helps. And ODIN DARK. I think you'd appreciate him even if he's kind of rubbish as a unit.

FE4 is a load of fun the first time and I adore the Game of Thrones plot in the first gen and how it tries to troll you in increasingly ludicrous ways in Gen 2, but it's so slow that I don't think I'd play it again.

FE8 is... well, it is. It was my first FE, and I liked it then, but had I played FE7 first I wouldn't have cared much for it. It felt really unmemorable, and I think a lot of that had to do with the monsters and the rushed pace of the plot. Ephraim and Innes were cool, though.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:09 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

I think that Radiant Dawn has by far the best music, followed by Awakening. Conquest didn't really compare to either of those IMO.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:17 am

Post by Vi »

I'd put Path of Radiance over Radiant Dawn without a second thought; A Grasping Truth isn't going to make up for all the short-looping songs and the dull stuff like the dark level theme. I'll have to get back to you on Fates vs. Awakening, since both of them had sweet standout songs (Prelude, Divine Decree, Chaos, map theme, ...., "Run All You Like" vs. Road Taken, Dusk Falls, No Justice, Past Below, Alight, A Dark Fall, Glory/Ruin). I think Fates wins slightly on those, but nothing in Fates beats Don't Speak Her Name!.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:21 am

Post by Andrius »

I never use Saizo. Mainly because his child is Gaius and I dislike the redone child characters. Kaze has no strength and my Kagero always turns out bad. Always. Luckily she makes a good wife for Ryoma becausr I have no idea what to do with him. shrug Enemy Ninjas are indeed the worst.

I actually dislike Odin. The only time I liked him was his S Support with Nah because shes like treat me like a woman not like a child. I have a hard time finding male characters I like in the recent games. :/

At least Laslow has Peri for best support of heartwarming.

FE 4 can be super slow. I liked it for the first generation; the second generation had the terrible desert map which was almost unbearable though Shanan was amazing. I got to the last chapter but never finished it.

Freaking Lex can't father a son who uses axes game whyyyyy I mean Shaskar is good son but not axeworthy. And, I mean, Lachke is best.

FE 8 was good but unmemorable.

Radiant Dawn had some great music (The Devoted, Ascension or whatever the tower battle theme was)
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:23 am

Post by Andrius »

Dont Speak Her Name is best song.
Divine Decree is great.

I love Justice RIP and Past Below. Past Below so great.
Conquest got better music over Birthright, but I still cant stomach that storyline and the fact that I have to use units I dont care about. And, again, killing Scarlet would break my poor heart.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:26 am

Post by Andrius »

I know weve been over this before Vi years ago but if I dont like a character they wont be used. So Odin gets benched. Bastian is mediocre but he's always in my final team because BASTIAN. And blessing the long-range tomes in the tower makes dragons a cakewalk.

Return to “The Arcade”