Do you believe in evolution?

This forum is for discussion about anything else.

Do you believe in Evolution?

Yes, it is how we got to where we are now
78%
No, there is no chance of evolution
7%
In theory yes, but we didn't come from primates
11%
Unsure
4%

Total votes: 161

Alasdair
Alasdair
Townie
Alasdair
Townie
Townie

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:44 am

Post by Alasdair »

Adele wrote: You are dogmatic in your approach to this matter, and condescending besides. It makes me think that your understanding of the subject is limited to the first - or perhaps second - round of "lies to children" you got fed. Newsflash: Reality is more complex and elegant than is dreamed of in your philosophy.
I didn't fucking bring up dogs stop changing the subject
[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b75/AlasdairC/water.png[/img]
[color=blue][b]WATER[/b][/color]
[b][url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8224]THIS IS XYTHAR HE MOVED TO JAPAN TO WATCH ANIME[/url][/b]
50 pounds of bread
50 pounds of bread
Townie
50 pounds of bread
Townie
Townie

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:44 am

Post by 50 pounds of bread »

Adele wrote: However, you clearly don't understand what science
is
, since the word "tentative" is apparently not part of your vocabulary. The fact is that there are scientists who don't agree with the "theory of gravity" (if you are referring to the Newtonian construct, it'd be most; if Einsteinian, fewer, but still plenty). The word for those people is not "silly" but "potentially groundbreaking".
WHAT?
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:45 am

Post by vollkan »

Alasdair wrote:
Adele wrote: You are dogmatic in your approach to this matter, and condescending besides. It makes me think that your understanding of the subject is limited to the first - or perhaps second - round of "lies to children" you got fed. Newsflash: Reality is more complex and elegant than is dreamed of in your philosophy.
I didn't fucking bring up dogs stop changing the subject
*sigh* Isn't there a bridge you should be hiding under?
Aisar
Aisar
Townie
Aisar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:45 am

Post by Aisar »

vollkan wrote:
Alasdair wrote: why the shit are you guys wandering onto talking about the Bible

I thought it was on the scientific theory of evolution for the biodiversity of life on this planet and the origin of species

if you disagree with that then you're as silly as not agreeing with the theory of gravity, the theory of atoms, or the theory of germs

As somebody who has enough faith to believe in God while still accepting science, I challenge an evolution denier (I'd call them creationists but really that'd imply they had a belief system that made sense, that'd be like calling holocaust-deniers their own special name for their wacky belief system)
I'm curious, how do you reconcile science with your faith? How do you consider your religious belief scientific in light of the fact that faith is wholly irrational (see the now defunct God Thread, which I think this may prompt a resurrection of)?
Aisar wrote: No you're wrong evolution is real but we didn't come from STINKING MONKEYS !
We did not come from monkeys. Monkeys are a contemporary evolved species. We came from, and still are, apes.
Cool, knowledge is refined and improved over time, thanks for the input!

Watch me do this too

Do you believe in Odin? Zeus? Thor? No? They fell out of favour huh.

I'm going to toss this silly Bible out, who believes in that shit, could be gone tomorrow
*blink* I thought you said you believed in god?
I don't know what your talking about I know my teacher said we came from monkeys are you a teacher I DON'T THINK SO
Show
[color=green]Earth

Member of Team chillax, Fellow brosefs (and Sisef) of the chill: Tuckfard, Braki, Golden Zucchini, Kloaked, Wuntvor,[/color] [color=blue] and Alasdair[/color]

PM me if you wish to be added to the list
Alasdair
Alasdair
Townie
Alasdair
Townie
Townie

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:45 am

Post by Alasdair »

vollkan wrote:
Alasdair wrote: why the shit are you guys wandering onto talking about the Bible

I thought it was on the scientific theory of evolution for the biodiversity of life on this planet and the origin of species

if you disagree with that then you're as silly as not agreeing with the theory of gravity, the theory of atoms, or the theory of germs

As somebody who has enough faith to believe in God while still accepting science, I challenge an evolution denier (I'd call them creationists but really that'd imply they had a belief system that made sense, that'd be like calling holocaust-deniers their own special name for their wacky belief system)
I'm curious, how do you reconcile science with your faith? How do you consider your religious belief scientific in light of the fact that faith is wholly irrational (see the now defunct God Thread, which I think this may prompt a resurrection of)?
Aisar wrote: No you're wrong evolution is real but we didn't come from STINKING MONKEYS !
We did not come from monkeys. Monkeys are a contemporary evolved species. We came from, and still are, apes.
Cool, knowledge is refined and improved over time, thanks for the input!

Watch me do this too

I'm going to toss this silly Bible out, who believes in that shit, could be gone tomorrow
*blink* I thought you said you believed in god?
sarcasm
[b][url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8224]THIS IS XYTHAR HE MOVED TO JAPAN TO WATCH ANIME[/url][/b]
TheNinthLayer
TheNinthLayer
Townie
TheNinthLayer
Townie
Townie

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:46 am

Post by TheNinthLayer »

Xdaamno wrote:
Alasdair wrote:Supernova 1987 is a Supernova that we can use simple trigonometry to find is 168 K light years away. First the supernova lit up, then the gas rings around them lit up about 8 months later. Simple trig to figure out how many light years it is away. The cool thing about this is that it doesn't even depend on the speed of light :)

So how can there be light 168 K years old in a 6K year old universe?
Despite the fact he's wrong anyway, he said 'earth', not 'universe'.

EDIT: To make sure I don't look like an idiot, yes, I 'got' it :/
Why would God make the universe first and then make the Earth like 100 million years later. Did you even read the bible?

-Ninth
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:46 am

Post by vollkan »

Aisar wrote: I don't know what your talking about I know my teacher said we came from monkeys are you a teacher I DON'T THINK SO
BZZT! Argument from authority.
Aisar
Aisar
Townie
Aisar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:47 am

Post by Aisar »

vollkan wrote:
Aisar wrote: I don't know what your talking about I know my teacher said we came from monkeys are you a teacher I DON'T THINK SO
BZZZZZZZZZZZZZT!
Show
[color=green]Earth

Member of Team chillax, Fellow brosefs (and Sisef) of the chill: Tuckfard, Braki, Golden Zucchini, Kloaked, Wuntvor,[/color] [color=blue] and Alasdair[/color]

Alasdair
Alasdair
Townie
Alasdair
Townie
Townie

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:48 am

Post by Alasdair »

Aisar wrote:
vollkan wrote:
BZZZZZZZZZZZZZT!
I think I will be using this counter point in every debate of mine in the future
Xdaamno
Xdaamno
I love you
Xdaamno
I love you
I love you

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:49 am

Post by Xdaamno »

Ninth wrote: Why would God make the universe first and then make the Earth like 100 million years later. Did you even read the bible?
... Huh?

Are you joking, or not :/
"This should be an absolute car crash, but let's try it." - CDB
"did you get ces to look disgusted by their offer? i thought that might work" - Patrick
Cracking Idea Mafia
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:49 am

Post by vollkan »

Ninth wrote: Why would God make the universe first and then make the Earth like 100 million years later. Did you even read the bible?
This is drifting into the God thread...but you actually need to prove that God did make the universe before this is even a legitimate question.
Alasdair
Alasdair
Townie
Alasdair
Townie
Townie

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:49 am

Post by Alasdair »

vollkan wrote:
This is drifting into the God thread...but you actually need to prove that God did make the universe before this is even a legitimate question.
BZZZZT
Xdaamno
Xdaamno
I love you
Xdaamno
I love you
I love you

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:50 am

Post by Xdaamno »

And the fact it was completely irrelevant to what I said :P

EDIT: Also, I don't want to be dragged into this discussion, so /last post.
Last edited by Xdaamno on Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aisar
Aisar
Townie
Aisar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:50 am

Post by Aisar »

Alasdair wrote:
vollkan wrote:
BZZZZT
BZZZZZZZZZZZZZT
Show
[color=green]Earth

50 pounds of bread
50 pounds of bread
Townie
50 pounds of bread
Townie
Townie

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:50 am

Post by 50 pounds of bread »

You guys do know, that the POPE said evolution happened.

THE FLIPPING POPE SAID IT.
Alasdair
Alasdair
Townie
Alasdair
Townie
Townie

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:51 am

Post by Alasdair »

50 pounds of bread wrote:
You guys do know, that the POPE said evolution happened.

THE FLIPPING POPE SAID IT.

BZZZZT
IH
IH
Always Scum
IH
Always Scum
Always Scum

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:54 am

Post by IH »

Genesis isn't meant to be taken literally, if you take the Bible literally you're going to have a hard time understanding that Jesus guy, he keeps on going off about wacky stories that don't relate to the matter!

But I prefer to talk about science, so I'd like Adele to know how we want this approach to go. Would you like me to present the evidence for evolutionary theory to you, Adele, or would you like to shoot it down? Who wants to take on defense?
Nice try. You're speaking of Parables, that usually begin with "And Jesus spake to the crowd" or "and Jesus spake to his disciples"
Untrod Tripod (7:27:18 PM): you enjoy whoring
xcaykex (7:27:24 PM): yes
xcaykex (7:27:26 PM): i know that
TheNinthLayer
TheNinthLayer
Townie
TheNinthLayer
Townie
Townie

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:03 am

Post by TheNinthLayer »

vollkan wrote:
You already admitted to not believing in the Holy Bible so why should I assume there's any chance at rational debate with you?

-Ninth
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:04 am

Post by Adele »

Alasdair wrote:Cool, knowledge is refined and improved over time, thanks for the input!

Watch me do this too

I'm going to toss this silly Bible out
Good boy. Well done.

And if you aren't willing to admit you COULD be wrong, how do you propose to refine and improve knowledge?
Alasdair
Alasdair
Townie
Alasdair
Townie
Townie

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:06 am

Post by Alasdair »

Adele wrote:
Alasdair wrote:Cool, knowledge is refined and improved over time, thanks for the input!

Watch me do this too

I'm going to toss this silly Bible out
Good boy. Well done.

And if you aren't willing to admit you COULD be wrong, how do you propose to refine and improve knowledge?
when you get around to finding that pesky evidence I might admit it

BZZZZZZZZZT
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:11 am

Post by Adele »

I'm saying, "you could be wrong" about
anything
you believe. Hence tentative - you should approach all knowledge with this attitude, not accept what Sir says as definate until proven otherwise.

If I were to find evidence disproving evolution, you would be forced to admit - not that you
could
be wrong - but that you
are
wrong. In lieu of that evidence (which I don't expect to ever come to light), though, you should recognise that you
could
be wrong.

Also, if you're gonna troll, get better at it. Saying "I'm here to fuck with so-and-so"? It's just more support for my growing theory that you aren't very bright.
Alasdair
Alasdair
Townie
Alasdair
Townie
Townie

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:13 am

Post by Alasdair »

Adele wrote:Image
Adele
Adele
Big Sister
Adele
Big Sister
Big Sister

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:18 am

Post by Adele »

Alasdair wrote:
Actually, that's your best-constructed post to date. I'm proud of you.
Aisar
Aisar
Townie
Aisar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:19 am

Post by Aisar »

Adele wrote:
Alasdair wrote:
Actually, that's your best-constructed post to date. I'm proud of you.

BZZZZZZZZZT
Show
[color=green]Earth

TheNinthLayer
TheNinthLayer
Townie
TheNinthLayer
Townie
Townie

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:21 am

Post by TheNinthLayer »

Adele wrote:I'm saying, "you could be wrong" about
anything
you believe. Hence tentative - you should approach all knowledge with this attitude, not accept what Sir says as definate until proven otherwise.

If I were to find evidence disproving evolution, you would be forced to admit - not that you
could
be wrong - but that you
are
wrong. In lieu of that evidence (which I don't expect to ever come to light), though, you should recognise that you
could
be wrong.

Also, if you're gonna troll, get better at it. Saying "I'm here to fuck with so-and-so"? It's just more support for my growing theory that you aren't very bright.
You're arguing for the sake of arguing, how are you better than he is?

Hey guys 2 + 2 isn't 4, someone could disprove it and blow our minds!

Hey guys the earth isn't 6000 years old, btw I have no proof but yeah facts could be wrong!

-Ninth

Return to “General Discussion”