Song Contest 97 (Entries up, votes due 8/5!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (isolation #0) » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:15 am

Post by toolenduso »

ego. have a couple ideas for things I could enter...
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (isolation #1) » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:33 am

Post by toolenduso »

I submitted a good song.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (isolation #2) » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:45 am

Post by toolenduso »

In post 18, Apricity wrote:because they play instruments
Spoiler: Sorry can't resist
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (isolation #3) » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:32 am

Post by toolenduso »

Oh hey kept meaning to follow up on He Is Legend too. The song I entered was off their third album, and all three of their first three albums (I Am Hollywood, Suck out the Poison and It Hates You) are fantastic. But probably the best to start with is their first album, I Am Hollywood.

Parama I think you especially might like that one since it seemed like the singer's voice was your biggest complaint. He sang way differently on their first album.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (isolation #4) » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:22 am

Post by toolenduso »

aw man
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #30 (isolation #5) » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:24 am

Post by toolenduso »

In post 28, Parama wrote:I sent a song I like a lot and after that who cares
It's 12 minutes long tho and has growls so nobody will finish it
Sounds like my kinda song. In fact BTBAM is still on my submission list.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #32 (isolation #6) » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:24 am

Post by toolenduso »

Yeah you've actually submitted a few of my favorites that I want to enter at some point. I can think of three off the top of my head that I know have been submitted and I'm pretty sure they were from you. But I mean my list of possible entries is really long so there's flexibility there.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #49 (isolation #7) » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:26 am

Post by toolenduso »

Oh dear god they put Smashmouth at the end of I Feel Good why
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #70 (isolation #8) » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:15 pm

Post by toolenduso »

Burkina Faso - Farao - Hunter: This is p good. I like the percussion. Singer is decent. High 7/10. OK this song is actually really musically interesting. I must not've been paying enough attention the first time around. I kinda wish they would've gone the hi-fi route with the drum kit, but oh well. Not a big complaint. I'm feelin this. High 8/10.

Uruguay - How to Dress Well - Set it Right: HEY THIS GUY DOESN'T LOOK VERY WELL DRESSED. Jk. This is pretty interesting, the mixture of overbearing noise rock with hard-to-understand singing is a weird kind of enjoyable. I liked this! Gonna start with a low 8/10. It's good, but overall just kinda thin. Lowering this to a High 7/10.

Iceland - Ne Obliviscaris - Forget Not: Wow, the name, the promo photo here, I am just expecting so much metal right now. Holy god it's 12 minutes. OK. Better get out my snacks. Enjoying the folksiness to begin with! Some noice violin-ing. And in come the drums, wow those cymbals sound a little washed out eh? Maybe it's just the types of cymbals because the bell tappies sound fine. OK 6 minutes in and now it sounds a lot more metal-y. And vocals, hey! I was kinda expecting this to just be instrumental. Gotta say, they're doing a good job of making me forget that I've already been listening to this song for 10 minutes. Which is to say it's not repetitive and the transitions also make sense (for the most part, the beginning of the double-kick bass drum felt a tiny bit out of place), but I am liking this overall. Yeah that was p good! Mid 7/10. Wild ass violin is wild ass. And cool. Gonna say High 7/10.

Wales - The Jezabels - Stamina: A lazily drifting tune that seems musically competent but not very gripping. When it picks up toward the end I like it some more. Low 7/10. OK yeah this was pretty cool actually. High 7/10.

Fiji - Hinkstep - Aldrig Mer: Wow another long one. Lots of 'em in this contest. Immediate impression is that this seems like the music you'd here in a mysterious puzzle-based flash game. This is pretty interesting! I like the vocals a lot, and the atmosphere of the song. Starting around 7:10 it begins to sound a lot like moments of Sky Eats Airplane haha. Liked this! Mid 7/10. Pretty good, actually. Gonna bump it up to a High 7/10.

Micronesia - Nothing But Thieves - Excuse Me: This is kinda cool, whatever that high-pitched thing is in the background, almost sounds like a distorted voice. I like. Low 7/10. Yep, looks like it's falsetto. That's pretty neat-o. This seems like the kind of band I could get into if their non-singles are more creative than this. I'm gonna bump this to a Mid 7/10.

CIV - LAMA - Fantasy: Ooh, nice piano. This is enjoyable, if a tad repetitive. I dig the beat, the piano obviously, the chorus is cool, just the sputtering of the instruments in general. I actually really enjoyed this. Gonna say high 7/10. Cool, but probably a little lower after the second time around because overall it's still a pretty simple little ditty. So, Mid 7/10.

Spain - Destroyer - Painter In Your Pocket: Hm, this is interesting. Nice guitar solo! Yeah this was pretty enjoyable. For now let's stick with a low 7/10. Yeah I do like this in a sort of don't-care-to-look-up-more-from-them sorta way. Original score seems about right. Low 7/10.

Zimbabwe - Oliver Mtukudzi - Wake Up: Immediate impression is DMB. Which is a good thing for me. Hey, I should enter DMB at some point. People might hate me for it but DMB is underappreciated. Anyway, the guitar work here is definitely cool. What is that popping noise in the background? Almost sounds like somebody making popping noises with their mouth. Could be, I guess. This is pretty pleasant. This is the sorta stuff I'd put on for like a backyard barbecue in the summer. Crack open a beer? Yeah, man. Nice stuff. Mid 7/10. Mmmmm, I wish this was like a minute shorter. But then would it be so good for the barbecue? Low 7/10.

Central African Republic - Brian Eno - Backwater: Cool, Brian Eno! Always meant to listen to him. Not what I was expecting at all! I thought he was mostly electronic. Maybe that came later or something. The melody structure is unique for sure, it sounds subtly "off" somehow. I like that. Also this sounds like something Weird Al would parody or put in a polka. This was decent but not all that interesting to me. High 6/10. It's kinda good. Still High 6/10.

Ya know, once I look at all the songs in this contest I realize that it was actually a pretty good one. Like the top five or six were all pretty awesome to me.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #71 (isolation #9) » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:16 pm

Post by toolenduso »

Would appreciate recommendations on some other songs to check out for Farao and Nothing but Thieves.
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #72 (isolation #10) » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:02 pm

Post by toolenduso »

Also, we can continue this convo through the next couple contests, but does anybody have any thoughts on what to do for the 100th contest?
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #90 (isolation #11) » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:41 am

Post by toolenduso »

In post 88, Parama wrote:disgusting.
Not a bad one to win at all. Definitely a good song. Congrats to youuuuuuuuuuu.

Anybody interested in more As Tall As Lions: Other favorites of mine include Circles, Stab City, Be Here Now and We're the Ones That Keep You Warm at Night.

They actually did not release a ton of material as a band before breaking up. Their first album, Lafcadio, is OK but nothing compared to the stuff they did afterward IMO. Best album to listen through is their self-titled, which is where Song for Luna came from.

Return to “General Discussion”