MafiaWiki Thread

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #322 (isolation #0) » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:03 am

Post by callforjudgement »

I really like the idea of autogenerated player pages that list game history. (I assume you've got a game history database somewhere to draw it from?)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #334 (isolation #1) » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:46 am

Not that pointless. Newbie and Mini Normal games are the ones where I have the most trouble remembering which ones I played in (and thus it would be a useful starting point for me if I made my own wiki page), because they all blend into each other after a while.

Unfortunately, it's also not as ideal as it could be. I know there are players who've played in a lot more Themes than I have.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #343 (isolation #2) » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:07 am

NAI is a very recent term, I think. I don't remember seeing it as early as last year. (The term that was typically used before then was "null"; nowadays that's typically only used for a person you can't read, rather than for a statement that contains no value for reads.)

Still, it's caught on to the extent that we should probably explain what it means.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #351 (isolation #3) » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:31 pm

It should just be a simple case of editing this page (note: only editable by wiki admins, for obvious reasons). Anything you put there will be placed at the top of every page on the wiki. (In fact, it contains a link to the forum at the moment; it's just not a very obvious one.)
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #364 (isolation #4) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:10 am

For people visiting the site via a search, having it appear as a wiki about Mafia (rather than a wiki connected to Mafiascum) seems like the most likely to attract traffic.

However, we should make it clear that the wiki is affilated with / connected to a Mafia-playing site as soon as someone arrives.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #369 (isolation #5) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:04 am

MediaWiki's own template syntax is intentionally low-powered, to stop random editors running arbitrary code on the computers of everyone who visits. You'd need a MediaWiki extension to do something like that (or else a bot or the like that manually edited pages with join dates).
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #381 (isolation #6) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:28 pm

You (who whoever has access to change things; you need higher than admin-level access) should probably make Portal: a real namespace if you're doing that. At the moment, it's just an article page whose name starts with "Portal:".
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #385 (isolation #7) » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:53 pm

In post 383, Sesq wrote:How do you have your own page I seem unable to add one myself.
Click on the "wiki" link under your username on the forum. Log into the wiki, if you haven't already (username and password are the same as on the forum). Then you should have an edit box via which you can edit it.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #398 (isolation #8) » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:59 pm

In terms of those portals: the "Information for Wiki-Contributors" should probably go on the Talk page, as that's what it's for.

In other news, Template:RolePM could do with a lot of changes to allow it to assemble roles from pieces, e.g. in setups with unusual win conditions, alignment-flipped roles, and the like. At present, basically everything needs to be set to custom. I don't have time to change that right now, but if I end up having time to change it later, is it something that would be worth taking a look at?
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #429 (isolation #9) » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:34 am

Micro Normal and Micro Theme are conceptually two separate queues, but they use the same thread (basically because it's common for there to be no Micro Normal games offered at any given moment).
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #449 (isolation #10) » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:20 pm

The only time I've used PBPA is to tell people not to do it. For some reason, new players often think that when ISOing someone they have to comment on every single post that person makes. That playstyle has now pretty much died out and for good reason.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #463 (isolation #11) » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:09 am

In post 460, Mathdino wrote:Are there currently any plays or tells that really need wiki pages? This was the first glaring hole I came across (considering Fong's Gambit is around 14 years old).
I've been mentioning role-specific gambits (e.g. claiming Survivor as the last remaining member of a scum faction in multiball, or claiming Vigilante as Unjester) in the play advice for the roles themselves. Do they need pages of their own? Note that many of them haven't got names yet (and some are untested, with others having been tested and shown to be a bad idea).

There are also some very basic gambits which don't have pages (or names!), such as claiming Miller in your first post as scum.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #469 (isolation #12) » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:05 pm

In post 466, Mathdino wrote:also im not sure if anyone is responding to my {{deleteme}} requests so
When you make a large number of changes at once, it's hard for me to spot that some of them are deletion requests unless you mention it in the edit summary, as I don't have time to check every edit individually and don't frequently check the deletion requests specifically. I'm mostly just trying to clear up after spambots, and you aren't a spambot. So if there isn't a clear mention in the edit summary that you're looking for deletion, it can take a while before I notice the request.

Additionally, due to the site policy for how deletions work on the wiki, I don't delete pages unless it's completely uncontroversial that they need deletion, i.e. a) they're obvious spam, b) they're vandalism/attack pages/ongoing game discussion/anything else that breaks the site rules, or c) their only author requested them to be deleted. See MafiaWiki:Deletion policy for the rules for deletion. Most of your requests don't fit the deletion policy, so I've been leaving them alone for someone with more decision making authority than me (e.g. the site admins) to deal with.

It may make sense to discuss here what sort of deletion policy we want on the wiki for controversial deletions, so that the skittles can implement it. I'm not a skittle, I'm just a spamfighter (and the person who enacts most actual deletions), and it's not up to me to create deletion rules.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #476 (isolation #13) » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:05 pm

My experience of ICing is that when you try to actually teach players, you get called scummy for it. After all, isn't that just a mix of coaching and IIoA?

It's probably helpful to have somewhere (like the wiki) that newbies can look information up without giving away their alignment, anyway.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #508 (isolation #14) » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:28 am

You can't run JavaScript on individual pages. What you can do is to change the JavaScript for the entire wiki, either for yourself, or (if you're an admin, and you are) for everyone. You'd edit Special:Mypage/common.js or MediaWiki:common.js respectively. (That said, it's been a long time since I did this so I forget the exact way you get code to load at the correct time.)

That said, I'm not quite sure what the request here is for, specifically.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #516 (isolation #15) » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:33 am

I tried adding a class "nobullet" to make this work, but it isn't working when added to the sitewide CSS. It worked when I tested it with my own personal CSS, and when I look at it in Firefox, it tells me that the rule is in use, and that the list elements match it, but for some reason fails to apply the rule. Chromium doesn't give me as much information, but it still shows the bullet too. So removing bullet points from this sort of list isn't possible with my current knowledge of CSS, someone else will have to figure out what's going on there.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #520 (isolation #16) » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:10 am

We have ParserFunctions installed, so yes. Off the top of my head, use {{#time:}} to get at the name or number of the month (I forget what argument you need for that), and then use that to form the name of a page that gets transcluded onto the main page. Then we just need twelve pages to transclude from (or 24 if you want the setup summary page and role summary page to be on separate pages). Note that we can't transclude the setup/role pages themselves – they're too large – so we'd need to write summaries that get transcluded.
scum
town

Return to “Mafia Discussion”