Serious life lessons mafia taught me

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Serious life lessons mafia taught me

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:18 am

Post by DrippingGoofball »

Mafia has taught me how to navigate an online crowd and slowly bring them to my side. It is an art form not always based on logical arguments, but subtle forms of persuasion. Rhythm, timing, alliance, humor, are needed to support logic.

It has also taught me that if I failed to bring people to my side, perhaps I was wrong and should accept it with grace.

It has taught me when to disengage, and when to back off to let other people defend my townieness and the ideas I brought on the table.

When to listen, support, encourage, other people's reads - to be a team player, to give and take.

I have found these skills to be very useful in Meat World. They are totally transferable.
Paraphrasing a role PM takes seconds, fabricating a good fakeclaim takes an eternity.

"Metadiving DGB is like playing Roblox" - T3
"She's sort of like a quantum computer, her reads exist in multiple states at once. u have to take into account the other dimensions." - Morning Tweet
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:59 am

Post by Accountant »

mafia taught me how to get a bunch of people who disagree on something to agree on something

it also taught me that to get ahead you should bus your teammates
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:27 pm

Post by kuribo »

Mafia taught me that any problem I can't solve by screaming at people can probably be solved by killing them at night
Join me on my quest to play every NES game! Some of them are awful.

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
mykonian
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
mykonian
Frisian Shoulder-Demon
Frisian Shoulder-Demon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:48 pm

Post by mykonian »

Mafia has taught me that should one ever end up in a situation with unclear or unfavorable government (invasion/civil war), I should lurk.

People point fingers at people who they do not understand.
Surrender, imagine and of course wear something nice.
Equinox
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Equinox
he/they
Shot Count
Shot Count
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:45 pm

Post by Equinox »

Mafia has taught me that no one reads walls of text. Thus, it is perfectly okay to write short memoranda consisting of naked votes to stimulate discussion.
DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:24 am

This thread is so beautiful it brings tears of joy to my weary eyes.
Paraphrasing a role PM takes seconds, fabricating a good fakeclaim takes an eternity.

"She's sort of like a quantum computer, her reads exist in multiple states at once. u have to take into account the other dimensions." - Morning Tweet
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:42 am

Post by kuribo »

In post 5, DrippingGoofball wrote:This thread is so beautiful it brings tears of joy to my weary eyes.

I've told you this before, but hydra-ing with you and your whimsical play style has led to me taking games far less seriously and enjoying them far more rather than making people miserable.

Also, you're one of the people on this site I truly consider a friend, and you helped me through a dark period of my life. Whenever I feel existential dread creeping up on me, I remember the words you said about life and accomplishments. As you told me then, changing the world in real and meaningful ways is out of reach for the majority of people in the world. But when it comes to one person, me, you've changed the world with your wisdom and friendship. For that, I can never thank you enough.

Try and get through THAT without tears!

Kuribo's read is foolproof: one night he was high on NyQuil, and he's ancestors reveiled Aureal's alignment to him. - Dessew
Expedience
Expedience
Mafia Scum
Expedience
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:11 am

Post by Expedience »

Mafia taught me about the human tendency to think that disagreeing with someone means they have malicious intentions.
DrippingGoofball
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
DrippingGoofball
Mafia Piñata
Mafia Piñata

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:06 am

*sniff sniff*

Stormblade
Stormblade
Goon
Stormblade
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:29 am

Post by Stormblade »

You sound like female Donald Trump DGB.
ABR // Nahdia // Errantparabola
Stormblade
Stormblade
Goon
Stormblade
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:33 am

Post by Stormblade »

Using humor, timing, disengaging to let others defend you, and persuasion to bring half of the town to your side despite the race-baiting left and their liberal media puppets and deep pockets globalist donors that divide the country against common sense.
ABR // Nahdia // Errantparabola
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:44 am

Post by Killthestory »

Mafia taught me to always have fun with whatever you're doing. Getting too focused on something, and getting too competitive leads to you getting in the mindset that it's do or die. Do or die, less it's suicide. It's not. Nothing is do or die, suicide, or anything in between. You always have options, and anything can be turned into something positive rather than a negative. Besides, the positive have more success in life. The people who can flip something, flip something to be good, unravel from trees with an apple to eat. Humanity is inherently flawed, and mafiascum also covers that. You're not going to be perfect, and having fun doing whatever you're doing is great.

It's also taught me to have some sense of negotiation power. You've always got to have something against other players, some sort of advantage. It's like in life. To get high in life, you need to apply yourselves in ways others wouldn't understand. Imagine you're an accountant, but you want to run a technological CEO company. You join a technological team, and they make technology. They sell it off to high rate companies with powerpoints and the like, but that's not their specialty. You let them see how hard it is before you volunteer your services, and then you make good powerpoints. You establish a firm connection with other high rate companies and employees, and you eventually become their salesman. You're showing your worth to the others, and they eventually want to turn into a company. They have to elect a CEO, and it's between you and someone else. You say that you won't be apart of the company if the other man is elected CEO. You're then elected co-CEO. -Taken from the book flow. If you haven't read it, read it.

Mafia also taught me to keep an open mind more. The more I play mafia, the more I listen to different kinds of music and get different perspectives on how people see things. How people see specific scumtells and towntells and the like. It's just easier to do introspection and keep an open perspective on literally anything.

It also taught me that you want to get yourself killed at night as a citizen.
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:43 pm

Post by Seraphim »

I learned from Mafia and continue to learn that being intelligent in the way I am intelligent does not necessarily translate to all aspects of my life. There are a lot of times I felt like a fucking idiot because I could not figure out or get reads on anyone. I am not good at interpersonal skills all the time though I am getting better. Getting better involved cultivating a set of skills I feel like I started developing here. Like listening, empathizing, and giving charitable interpretations of people's arguments and thoughts rather than jumping on obvious mistakes. You convince and befriend people by listening to them. If you're a good listener, it becomes that much easier to make friends.
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:54 pm

Post by SpyreX »

Mafia reinforced more than anything else that allies get results. The island of one can't get the job done.
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
SpyreX
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
SpyreX
POWERFUL WIZARD
POWERFUL WIZARD

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:54 pm

Post by SpyreX »

Mafia reinforced more than anything else that allies get results. The island of one can't get the job done.
Show
I always lynch scum... sometimes they're just not mafia. :P

Town: (49-47-1)
Scum: (23-11)
Third Party: (2-0)
Proud member of BaM
The_Jester
The_Jester
Mafia Scum
The_Jester
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:11 pm

Post by The_Jester »

Mafia has taught me I'm really shit at Mafia.
Why'd the clown drive over the cup?
He wanted to crack him up!
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:42 pm

Post by Psyche »

people are endlessly dumber than they think they are
youtube playlist extracter | donbot | game scraper | vca | setupsim | strategist | llm
Katsuki
Katsuki
Cupcake
Katsuki
Cupcake
Cupcake

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:57 am

Post by Katsuki »

Mafia has taught me that lies and deceit with a copious amount of shouting will get you everywhere.
Fluffy fluffy~~~ |
"READING KATSUKI IS LIKE SOME SORT OF POSTMODERN ARTFORM"
- GreyICE
Katsuki is by far more absurdly beautiful than Fate. (hai parama)
Katsuki's Madness coming to you shortly: Nov, 2011!

C
u
p
c
a
k
e
M
a
f
i
a
I
I
coming to you summer 2011! ~ Pre-ins: 11/13
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:04 am

Post by callforjudgement »

The most important life skill I learned from Mafia is how to look innocent when you actually
are
innocent.

Lying is hard, but telling the truth convincingly can be even harder.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Heat
Heat
Mafia Scum
Heat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:26 am

Post by Heat »

In post 15, The_Jester wrote:Mafia has taught me I'm really shit at Mafia.
YOU ARE AWFUL - DGB
Heat why do you replace into a game and then do jack shit - spiffeh
Ümläüt
Ümläüt
Mafia Scum
Ümläüt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:47 pm

Post by Ümläüt »

Mafia has taught me that when everyone else is trying to tell me it's A, but it looks to me like it's B instead, probably it's A and I'm just an idiot.
zMuffinMan
zMuffinMan
Survivor
zMuffinMan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:21 pm

Post by zMuffinMan »

mafia just reinforced a bunch of things i think i already knew

getting people to agree with you requires talking in different ways to different people / knowing your audience - how people process information differs greatly from person to person
mixing humour into things, even when youre trying to make serious points, makes you more agreeable
people tend to focus on the result rather than the process of reaching the result
people tend not to consider things from the perspective of other people
people don't like being told they're wrong
people are allergic to logic
etc
spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh spiffeh
Bacde
Bacde
Jack of All Trades
Bacde
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:14 pm

Post by Bacde »

In post 6, kuribo wrote:
In post 5, DrippingGoofball wrote:This thread is so beautiful it brings tears of joy to my weary eyes.

I've told you this before, but hydra-ing with you and your whimsical play style has led to me taking games far less seriously and enjoying them far more rather than making people miserable.

Also, you're one of the people on this site I truly consider a friend, and you helped me through a dark period of my life. Whenever I feel existential dread creeping up on me, I remember the words you said about life and accomplishments. As you told me then, changing the world in real and meaningful ways is out of reach for the majority of people in the world. But when it comes to one person, me, you've changed the world with your wisdom and friendship. For that, I can never thank you enough.

Try and get through THAT without tears!
This is literally the nicest thing I think Kuribo has ever written
Bacde
Bacde
Jack of All Trades
Bacde
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:15 pm

Post by Bacde »

Mafia taught me how to be an addict and deny that I have a problem
kuribo
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
kuribo
he/him
Fire and Brimstone
Fire and Brimstone

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:59 am

Post by kuribo »

By the way, there's more to that DGB quote than what I posted. It went like this:

DGB: Well, you really only have three options when it comes to leaving a legacy. You can change the world in real and meaningful ways, but that's out of reach for you, me, and most other people in the world. You can dedicate your life to doing something that will one day crumble into dust, or you can have kids.

Me: Yeah you're right, but I don't really want kids.

DGB: So you're good with the dust thing? Lol

Me: Yeah, I guess I am!

Return to “Mafia Discussion”