Pokemon: GO

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #181 (isolation #0) » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:43 am

Post by Rhinox »

And here I was thinking the CP75 Tauros I caught must be something special because its in the last slot in my pokedex...
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #187 (isolation #1) » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:05 am

Post by Rhinox »

So there is one pokestop in my neighborhood that is pretty close by so that's nice. There are 2 near my work but sadly not within range of my desk (actually I need to leave the building to get to either). And no Gyms nearby either place which kinda sucks. Not sure what I'm supposed to do about that :/
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #239 (isolation #2) » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:08 am

Post by Rhinox »

I don't know if this game is really going to hold my interest for very long. I'd like to do more, but there just aren't enough pokestops or gyms in areas I'm at frequently. I'm still only lvl 4 because there's not enough for me to do.

I'm golfing this afternoon - what do I have to do to keep the game active so I can log some miles, catch some pokemons, and maybe hatch a couple eggs? If I turn my screen timeout off in my phone settings is that enough or do I have to like tap the game or interact with it every so often to keep connected? And if I'm riding in a golf cart, is that slow enough to still log distance?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #261 (isolation #3) » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:09 am

Post by Rhinox »

I passed a level 9 valor gym on the way into work this morning O.o
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #276 (isolation #4) » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:15 am

Post by Rhinox »

Almost ran out of pokeballs yesterday. Would have, had I not hit lvl 7 on my last through. Still, I've got 13 currently in my bag, so unless I find a pokestop to sit on for a while I'm going to be out of luck soon :(
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #279 (isolation #5) » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:40 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 278, Jahudo wrote:The fountain would have been registered by someone playing Ingress a while back. They were supposed to use public places as map points but they also put them in front of restaurants, shops, etc. I saw a lot of that at west side market the other day.
relevant: here or possibly here too
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #300 (isolation #6) » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:15 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 298, Sudo_Nym wrote:I think most Pokemon have evolution states, but there are several that don't. Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee both are one-stage (although they got a pre-evo later), Tauros is one-stage as well. All the legendaries, also.
Magmar is another. I never played pokemon before Go so I just assumed there were some pokemon that didn't have evolutions but just googling Magmar now I see he is supposed to be the middle of an evolution chain so that's kinda odd...
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #304 (isolation #7) » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:54 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 301, Sudo_Nym wrote:I'm yet to find any electric, fire, or fighting types. Where do they spawn?
Magmars are fire, right? The only Magmars I found, I found on a golf course. Not sure why.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #312 (isolation #8) » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:16 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 311, Brandi wrote:ITS BEEN SO MANY DAYS AND I STILL HAVEN'T FOUND A 10K EGG GOD DAMMIT I"ve ALREADY WALKED 50K AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I have one 10K egg just waiting for an incubator slot to open up to start hatching it. Unfortunately the GPS sampling for distance seems to be crap so a 10K egg could mean as much as 40K actual walking distance according to some reports on reddit :?
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #412 (isolation #9) » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:05 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 398, Papa Zito wrote:It's not, no. I miss the concept of training something up. Here you just constantly find better stuff in the wild, training anything doesn't make sense
Maybe at later levels it will but not for the first 20 for sure.
The information I've read is that is that max player level is 40, and pokemon levels is either 2x player level or half-levels up to your player level. So, pokemon you get from eggs, their max level caps out at 20. So once you're player level 20 you can start getting the highest level pokemon you can ever get out of eggs no matter how much you level up from there. For wild pokemon, the max level is 30, so again, once you reach level 30 you'll start being able to catch the highest level pokemons you'll ever be able to.

So yeah, it's not really ideal to spend any dust because until you reach level 30 you can always catch a higher level pokemon. or you might hatch something from an egg at level 20 that you don't catch in your area (or not enough to evolve, anyways). but after you're above that player level, if you want to have stronger pokemon you do have to start "training" or powering up then.
In post 405, Marquis wrote:so instead of fixing the bug where all pokemon would appear to be 3 steps away,

they removed step counts entirely

niantic is so dumb. i am like. shocked by how disconnected they seem to be
so so dumb... and the worst part is the when the games creator did that interview and complained about people using pokevision, as if the only reason people are using it isn't that they intentionally deactivated the only means by which to track the pokemon from within the game :igmeou:
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #423 (isolation #10) » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:36 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 422, Brandi wrote:At least, no one I know really bothers with them unless they know they can quickly get a mon in for the 10g.
went for a walk yesterday and found a gym for my team with a slot open. Tossed in a junk pokemon and then collected my reward. So far that's the only time I've interacted with a gym. I sent another junk pokemon up against the vaporeon someone had stashed there just to see how the whole battle thing worked. Didn't end well for the poor pidgeotto...
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #431 (isolation #11) » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:39 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 429, xRECKONERx wrote:save the egg leveling strat for after lvl 20 because you stop finding lucky eggs in the wild and uh the XP jumps DRAMATICALLY in terms of how much you need per level
eh... you're still getting the same XP from the lucky egg either way. In fact you're probably likely to get more xp the earlier you use them as you're more likely to be able to get the double xp on new pokedex entries the lower level you are.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #434 (isolation #12) » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:35 am

Post by Rhinox »

pokeassistant wrote:•You will begin evolving with 4 Pidgey and 44 Candy.

•You will be able to evolve 4 Pidgey and earn 4,000XP.

•You will be have transferred 4 Pidgeotto whilst evolving.

•You will have 0 Pidgeys and 4 Candy left over.
So I'm going on vacation and am clearing out my pokemon ahead of time so I can play longer without the interruption of filling up my pokemon storage. I'm clearing out the pidgeys, weedles, and caterpies such that I can, when ready, mass evolve all that I have left under a lucky egg at some point. Because I didn't feel like thinking, I was letting pokeassistant tell me how many I should transfer so that I could have enough candy to evolve what was left. But this looks wrong. Or am I being dumb? If I start with 4 Pidgey and 44 candy, I won't have enough candy to evolve all 4. 44-12=32+1=33-12=21+1=22-12=10+1=11 so I have 1 pidgey and 11 candies and can't evolve the last 1, let alone evolve all 4 and end up with 4 candies left over. Am I being dumb somewhere or is the calculator just plain wrong? I don't think I'm being dumb but maybe I am...
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #438 (isolation #13) » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:09 am

Post by Rhinox »

In post 436, Claus wrote:Meh, just walk outside 5 minutes and you'll get your 4 pidgey candies anyway.
Oh I know. I wasn't worried about that. Just thought I was losing my mind or my capability of doing simple math for a minute. Or I missed where transfers now gave you 2 candies instead of 1 or something else.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #505 (isolation #14) » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:17 am

Post by Rhinox »

So turns out you can actually track pokemon again using the nearby feature.

This is because the nearby feature actually updates "live" now, unlike before when pokemon stayed on the list even after they despawned or you moved well out of range.

Also its probably only going to work reliably for rare pokemon or pokemon that you're only likely to be nearby 1 at a time since the nearby list hides duplicates, but that is fine because those are the ones you really want to track anyways. Nobody needs to track one of the 15 million pidgeys that are nearby.

Anyways, so Pokémon on the nearby list are within 200M of your location, so if you mark the location when they appear on the list and the location when they disappear from your list you can determine their location from those data points.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #536 (isolation #15) » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:37 am

Post by Rhinox »

I'm pretty much at the point where I'm not even playing anymore. I can't make special trips to somewhere actually worthwhile to play everyday. If I'm out for a walk anyways, I'll usually have it open to hatch eggs, but I'm pretty much dry up on pokeballs and without making a special trip somewhere there are lots of stops, I'm not likely to replenish anytime soon. Kinda disappointing really.

Return to “The Arcade”