There's no such thing as an online friendship

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Internet Stranger
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #29 (isolation #0) » Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:57 am

Post by Internet Stranger »

I must be the only person that doesnt see a difference between online and meatworld relationships.

(I hate the "IRL" and "real world" terms as they are implicated, this is
all
real life.)

The tenets of relationships are identical. The only difference is the access. How exactly would you be able to aggregate a similar group of mafia players in meatworld (to use as an example)? Would it be as accessible then?

People lie and are just as creepy in meatworld because its all real life. Assume that online and meatworld relationships are identical and see how that might reshape your opinions on the suject.
Show
Elvis_Knits: "IS you are a sexist schmuck, for real"

Guttersnipe: "INTERNET STRANGER: You will never get away with the crap you pulled in this game again in any game I am in, ever"

Jora: "I don't care what you say. I don't care about scumhunting. Just die, alright!"
Internet Stranger
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (isolation #1) » Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:21 pm

I just had a conversation with Tally in chat on this subject. I asked her to post the log since it would be a waste if all our typing efforts were to go to waste on just our eyeballs and Yaws, who doesnt care.

This post is to make sure everyone gets around to harassing Tally to post the log.
Show

Guttersnipe: "INTERNET STRANGER: You will never get away with the crap you pulled in this game again in any game I am in, ever"

Jora: "I don't care what you say. I don't care about scumhunting. Just die, alright!"
Internet Stranger
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #44 (isolation #2) » Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:22 pm

Candice wrote: I'm meeting my best friend in two weeks, driving 8 hours each way to see him. I'm just hoping he's still my best friend afterwards.
Tally wrote: This is the kind of thing that I am talking about when I say that internet relationships are different. If Candice was talking about a "real life" friend here, then her statement would not make a lot of sense. (All the best with that from me too, Candice )
Its the same situation as if she was driving to see her best friend from school who moved 8 hours away with whom she kept in touch with via letters or phone.
Show

Internet Stranger
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #48 (isolation #3) » Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:03 pm

All I still see is a higher effiency of the same methods that conversations that develop into friendships are made when the threat of immediate physicality is removed.
Show

Internet Stranger
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #56 (isolation #4) » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:49 pm

So does that mean that you all hide who you really are while in meatworld?
Show

Internet Stranger
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #65 (isolation #5) » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:16 pm

Very close Polarboy. But keep in mind that the conversation and the relationships still have not changed in your example. The end goals remain the same. The conversation themselves remain the same. The relationship paradigms remain the same.

Your example only illustrates the lack of skill of some people to use the tools required to maintain the conversations/relationships. Some cant use the computer, others cant use the bar or another meatworld setting. As I had said earlier. The internet isnt a new investion or a revolutionary tool, its the bar.
Show

Internet Stranger
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #68 (isolation #6) » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:05 am

Of course they invest as much, the relationship model didnt change. You all are forgetting that again that the increased efficiency is allowing you to meet hundreds of more people than you could while in meatworld.
Show

Internet Stranger
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #70 (isolation #7) » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:51 am

How is that any different from the first 10 that lines you tell people while in meatworld? You must be a really odd conversation if you refuse to tell people your name or where youre from or even what books you like,
Show

Internet Stranger
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Internet Stranger
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #72 (isolation #8) » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:40 am

bah, the same you meet a person anywhere! Its all real life!

What you need to ask is, should I do anything different because im going to see her in meatworld? The answer would be no.

You talk, you ask, you get rewarded.
You skulk, hope, pray and you get a warm sock at night.
Show

Return to “General Discussion”