The MafiaScum Minecraft Thread - AllTheMods 9!!! - NEW Vanilla?

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.

New Vanilla Server?

Yes, on latest stable version; with fun events & mini-games!
33%
Yes, on latest stable version; for consistency & community! (no plugins)
33%
Yes, on "snapshots"/development versions; bleeding edge! (definitely no plugins)
No votes
Yes, with Spigot/Bukkit/server "plugins" (or commands like /tpa, /home, etc.)
33%
Yes, but I'll post with my specific thoughts and ideas!
No votes

Total votes: 9

Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #18875 (ISO) » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:42 pm

Post by Elbirn »

So I signed up for this like two years ago, played once, then ran away forever. Was gonna ask if there was a vanilla server but according to the op there isn't, which brings me great sadness because I simply can't be fucked to care about anything more complex than chop down tree ----> build house anyway. But I will endure if you will have me I suppose.

However I also have a small group of friends who, every so often, try to get a server going, and then get bored after a week. We've just entered boredom stage and our server is empty 99% of the time. I feel that a larger server with more people could inspire us to not be shits.

1. Am I still whitelisted? MS name is Elbirn.
2. Can I bring in non-mafiascum users to your glorious kingdom, with my promise that none of them are shitheads? They're all irl friends and good people. They probably won't even care enough to join if I ask them, but I'd like to know if I can make this offer to them in the first place.
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #18876 (ISO) » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:44 pm

Post by Elbirn »

Also: how many peeps still play this thing, if it is a thing? Do you have a thriving community/city/town I can settle in?
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18877 (ISO) » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:10 am

Post by EspeciallyTheLies »

we are mid-update at the moment, which means a brand new server will be started soon.
Art is cool.
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18878 (ISO) » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:11 am

you can certainly bring your friends, but you are responsible for them. that's all :]
Art is cool.
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18879 (ISO) » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:23 am

Post by Rhinox »

ETL:
In post 18871, Rhinox wrote:ETL what facebook details do you need just like my name? or is there something else?
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #18880 (ISO) » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:22 am

Post by Elbirn »

In post 18878, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:you can certainly bring your friends, but you are responsible for them. that's all :]
*finger guns* you got it hoss
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #18881 (ISO) » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:04 am

Post by McMenno »

In post 18875, Elbirn wrote:So I signed up for this like two years ago, played once, then ran away forever. Was gonna ask if there was a vanilla server but according to the op there isn't, which brings me great sadness because I simply can't be fucked to care about anything more complex than chop down tree ----> build house anyway. But I will endure if you will have me I suppose.

However I also have a small group of friends who, every so often, try to get a server going, and then get bored after a week. We've just entered boredom stage and our server is empty 99% of the time. I feel that a larger server with more people could inspire us to not be shits.

1. Am I still whitelisted? MS name is Elbirn.
2. Can I bring in non-mafiascum users to your glorious kingdom, with my promise that none of them are shitheads? They're all irl friends and good people. They probably won't even care enough to join if I ask them, but I'd like to know if I can make this offer to them in the first place.
sounds like me
Maestro
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Maestro
They/Them/Any
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: They/Them/Any

Post Post #18882 (ISO) » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:42 am

Post by Maestro »

In post 18880, Elbirn wrote:
In post 18878, EspeciallyTheLies wrote:you can certainly bring your friends, but you are responsible for them. that's all :]
*finger guns* you got it hoss
As a former admin, allow me to emphasize this point: if they do ANYTHING wrong it is treated as if you (the person who invited them) did that thing. If they get banned, you get banned to. And probably everybody else you bring with you. This is how we have such a great group.

If you're gonna bring people in who aren't a part of MS, who we don't know, you will take absolute responsibility for every action they take. You will police them WRT all of our rules and if they break them you're all gone.

At least, I hope that's how ETL would treat it..... :shifty:
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #18883 (ISO) » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:24 am

Post by Klazam »

(not that we've ever needed the banhammer outside a certain person awhile ago)
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18884 (ISO) » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:16 pm

jeez m try not to scare people away lol...

our rules are pretty simple in any case. no griefing, no stealing, and don't be an a-hole.

rhi - email address works best cuz I dunno what you look like to say which "you" is you :P
Art is cool.
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #18885 (ISO) » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:46 pm

Post by Maruchan »

In post 18883, Klazam wrote:(not that we've ever needed the banhammer outside a certain person awhile ago)
I mean. Technically. I was at one point banned. -coff- while I kept paying for the yen server.

Tbf I deserved it
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #18886 (ISO) » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:58 pm

Post by Klazam »

ah, yes, there was that.
Maruchan
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Maruchan
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #18887 (ISO) » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:32 pm

Post by Maruchan »

how often can someone with admin powers truly say they typed the command to ban themselves from a game eh? :P
Show
Returning to modding after a nearly two year hiatus!
9 player Purgatory coming to the Open Queue Soon!
Join Now!

Micro Grand Idea uPick coming to the micro queue soon!
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #18888 (ISO) » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:05 pm

Post by McMenno »

so there's a new server coming up. when is this mysterious new server up?
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18889 (ISO) » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:31 am

as soon as we figure out how the new launcher works for people to get the pack downloaded :P
Art is cool.
Klazam
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Klazam
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #18890 (ISO) » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:29 am

Post by Klazam »

uh
i didnt have any problem doing so

refer people to me via irc, i'll walk them through it
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #18891 (ISO) » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:18 am

Post by Nexus »

Yeah its really easy. Even I did it.
Trans rights are human rights.
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18892 (ISO) » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:07 am

Post by davesaz »

Getting curse installed with the minecraft plugin can trip folks up, but beyond that point it's fairly easy. The only sticky point is if you want to use a different launcher. For that case, someone installs via Curse launcher, then saves the mods and configs folder to a zip. Upload zip to somewhere it can be downloaded from and post the link. The player wanting to use the other launcher starts with a new instance with the right minecraft and forge levels, and adds in the mods and configs folder, same way we used to do it.
Wanna play Minecraft with your ms friends? Check out the minecraft thread, or the channel on discord
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18893 (ISO) » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:13 pm

Post by Rhinox »

managed to get on the server tonight. nobody was there :(
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss

Post Post #18894 (ISO) » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:25 am

Post by Nexus »

can i get onto the fb chat pls
Trans rights are human rights.
Jackal711
Jackal711
Mafia Scum
Jackal711
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18895 (ISO) » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:13 pm

Post by Jackal711 »

In post 18893, Rhinox wrote:managed to get on the server tonight. nobody was there :(
Current server lags to the point of being unplayable. I'll be back when everything's final and we roll the new map.
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18896 (ISO) » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:09 pm

Post by davesaz »

Every time I press reload on the facebook page, the group chat window doesn't come back and I have no idea how to send a message to the group until someone else sends one. :(
Wanna play Minecraft with your ms friends? Check out the minecraft thread, or the channel on discord
EspeciallyTheLies
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
EspeciallyTheLies
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18897 (ISO) » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:45 am

Official MafiaScum Minecraft Server NEWS!

Hallo!! As you may have noticed, activity regarding getting a server going, maintaining a server, etc, has slowed down quite a bit over the last year. Unfortunately, my time obligations have increased to the point where I am no longer able to keep up with needed updates. As such,
davesaz
(Archreplicator) has stepped up to help out, and ultimately, take over as admin for the server and this thread. :] He will be the main man when it comes to getting the modpacks together, releasing information here in the thread, and general admin activities. I'm still available to help as needed of course, and I'm fine continuing to maintain hosting for the server. I assume he will also select a co-admin to help out.

So, what does this really mean?
It means news updates on server activity, questions/answers, assistance, etc will be available and happen far more frequently and quickly than I am able. That's a good thing! He's been an active member of the server and mafiascum for some time now and has become more and more familiar with the various mods and utilities we use to maintain the server and packs. Definitely feel free to ask any questions you might have, or come to the IRC. Hopefully, what this also means, is increased player activity as we will actually
have
a server ready for people to play on.

Thanks again, Arch!!

(As a side note - no need for facebook info any longer, as it was mainly a way for me to keep in touch with people who had questions or whatever, since I'm never able to get on IRC anymore.)
Art is cool.
davesaz
davesaz
He
Survivor
davesaz
He
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18898 (ISO) » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:45 pm

Post by davesaz »

Thanks ETL!

One thing I think would help us a lot is to get some additional community feedback on desired MC level. Here is how I would characterize them:
  • 1.7.10 -- Mostly stable, still has lots of mods which haven't been seen on our servers yet, but some people may feel it's a little stale.
  • 1.8.x -- Vanilla was ok but modded never completely came together because 1.9 came out before most of the modders had adjusted to 1.8. I don't think this is an option worth further thought.
  • 1.9.4 -- Has some important new vanilla content, and some new mods which didn't exist in earlier levels. Some 1.7 standard mods are replaced by (at times not very good) knockoffs made by people who got tired of waiting. Some mods don't play well together but it's possible to put together a pack of 50-75 mods that doesn't crash all the time. Current server is on this level and has some performance issues.
  • 1.10 -- Newest version, more important new vanilla content, almost all the new mod development is on this release. There are some exciting new ideas we could try. Can be quite unstable and updates are happening really fast. Don't know how it would perform on the server.
In terms of how long it might take to get going, we could try a fresh world on the current 1.9.4 pack in just a day or two, and see what the performance does (I have not reviewed configs since I thought ETL was doing that...). It would be possible to make a 1.7.10 pack which would essentially be upgraded SP5 with selected additional mods (or requested new ones) in a week or so. If a lot of people want to be on 1.10 then getting a set of mods that work well together might take up to 2-3 weeks. If you don't mind playing for a few weeks and then switching to what we ultimately want that's an option too. And another option to fill a few weeks might be to run the server on an already existing well-known pack that enough folks can agree on. I don't think we can please everyone, but I also think it's important to have a good player base because a hopping server is a fun server.

Bottom line is, I'm volunteering to get something going but I kinda need to know what you want.
I'm probably not the most mainstream Minecraft player here and I don't want your experience to be a bad one because too much is based on my playstyle. :cool:
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #18899 (ISO) » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:47 pm

Post by Elbirn »

*whispers darkness into Dave's ear* make a vanilla serverrrr~☆

Return to “The Arcade”