Lets Talk Pen & Paper RPGs (All systems welcome!)

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
StaplerTowel
StaplerTowel
He
Townie
StaplerTowel
He
Townie
Townie
Pronoun: He

Post Post #711 (isolation #0) » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:26 pm

Post by StaplerTowel »

Hi guys, I'm currently working on a psychological horror RPG where 4-5 players have amnesia and they have to figure out how they got to this island they're trapped in. One of my key mechanics is passing physical notecards to people who 'trigger' unlocked memories, either by saying or doing something in the island. It is then up to them if they wish to divulge this information; some of it could be counter-intuitive if you did while others aren't so apparent until later. There will be monsters and threats abound, and death is definitely possible, but I'd rather those be as a result of extremely poor decision making instead of a means to an end.

I wanna ask if anyone happens to know an RPG system that facilitates this kind of style. It should be more narrative-driven but can have combat or action/skill stuff in it once in awhile. And the recommendation I will be giving to my players is that they shouldn't fight if given the chance as the terrors can easily damage you.

I would use CoC, but I feel like the Mythos works in a way that eventually claims you in the end. I want something that only bares the fangs of CoC but has enough versatility for redemption. I'm currently bouncing around on either Unknown Armies, Don't Rest Your Head, or Little Fears. All 3 deal with the PCs playing as themselves instead of a character they could buff and create.

Do you guys have other suggestions?

Return to “The Arcade”