(OLD)Newbie Game Queue (Players and Moderators)

For archiving signup threads after their corresponding games are complete.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #5344 (isolation #0) » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:30 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

In post 5337, MissTerry wrote:/out for next/never mind I don't want to play
(Can I do that?)
Yes, before you've been placed into a game, you can /out from the queue. In fact, that's much better than being placed in a game and then leaving, as it's less disruptive for everyone.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #5768 (isolation #1) » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:31 am

In post 5765, Creeps20 wrote:/in for next (is this how to do it?)
Sure, that works. Within the next 2-3 days, Mina will probably have you allocated to an unfilled game in one of the first posts in the thread, and the game will probably start within a week or two.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #5777 (isolation #2) » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:31 am

In post 5772, pucca25 wrote:Hi, I'm completely new to this and I want to join a game. How do I join?
If you write "/in" in a game queue, the list moderator will find a game to allocate you to within 2-3 days (listing this in an early post of the thread), and will start the game within typically 1-2 weeks (once there are enough players to run it). Note that there won't be any immediate reaction; signups are handled manually by the moderators, so you'll have to be patient. (The games themselves can last months, so the delay before they start is normally small in comparison.)

This thread is the Newbie Queue, and probably the best game queue for a new player to start with. So you could just post "/in" here to start the process.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #5821 (isolation #3) » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:54 am

Road to Rome is used for all newbie games, and only newbie games. The way it works is that your first and second games can be in this queue as a newbie; your fourth game onwards can be in this queue as an SE. Your third game can't be in this queue; your first and second games don't have to be in this queue, even though they can be (and obviously, nothing's forcing you to come back to this queue as an SE, you could stay in the other queues forever if you wanted to).

In order to join a non-newbie game (i.e. outside Road to Rome), you'll need to use the respective game's queue. The Queue forum is here; Normal is a common choice of queue for second/third games, with Open and (sometimes) Micro also being good choices. The moderator for non-newbie games can set their own requirements on who can join, but most moderators will allow players to play their second game there unless the game happens to be very complex.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #5872 (isolation #4) » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:37 am

In post 5871, MortFeld wrote:I don't know what the rules are for such dishonorable discharges.
You almost always get a second chance, especially if it's been a long time since you dropped out of the game. However, your newbie status disappears after you've left two games, no matter what the reason, meaning that a third game would have to be played elsewhere; so after dropping out
twice
, it'd be at the discretion of the game's moderator as to whether to give you a third chance. (As an example, if it were a game I was moderating, I'd have a PM conversation with you about your situation before letting you in, but I wouldn't automatically reject you. Some moderators are more lenient, some are stricter.)
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #6043 (isolation #5) » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:03 am

The mod (borkjerkfin) needs to get online and see that the game is ready (and have free time for starting a game). This typically takes less than a day. After that, it takes something like half an hour to set up the game threads, at which point the mod will send you a PM to let you know what happens next. (Typically this tells you what your role is, which thread or threads you're allowed to post about the game in, and how to let the mod know that you're still around and ready to play.) So keep checking your PMs, I guess.

You can sometimes get a few minutes' advance warning by looking at the forum of newbie game threads (they're visible there even while they're being set up), but there isn't much point, as once a game shows up there the PM only takes a few minutes (sometimes tens of minutes) longer.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #6056 (isolation #6) » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:01 am

If you want to replace into a game, send a private message to its moderator. (This is true even outside the Newbie Queue, but it bears repeating here because many newbies don't know it.)
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #6074 (isolation #7) » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:41 am

In post 6071, keyenpeydee wrote:/in as newbie because I can't in as SE
You don't qualify as a newbie, having participated in Newbie 1718, Newbie 1733, Micro 643 (all completed games). That looks like SE experience to me (and if you're disqualified from playing as an SE for some reason, you won't be able to use the newbie queue at all).
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #6155 (isolation #8) » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:27 pm

In post 6147, Alisae wrote:/in rather have the first game be on my main then my alt. Sry if this messes things up.
Just as a note on the rules, alts can't play as a newbie in this queue. They are allowed to replace into games, including newbie games, but not to join via the queue itself. (An alt can also play as an SE or IC, if it's got the required experience
on that account
via other queues and/or replacing in.) You should probably make it clear which account is the main because you went out and back in on the same account.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #6248 (isolation #9) » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:36 pm

In order to start a game, you need five different groups of people all ready at once (the newbies, the SEs, the IC, the moderator, and Mina). It can take a while for everyone to get their act together simultaneously sometimes.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #6265 (isolation #10) » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:19 am

In post 6263, WeCanSimplyBeOurselves wrote:I've played two newbie games. Is that the maximum?
As a newbie slot from the start of the game, yes; new players are prioritized so that they can get into games more quickly, so it'd be unfair for a more experienced player to take a newbie slot.

However, you can still play in newbie games by replacing in to a newbie slot. Also, as soon as you've played a game in another Queue, you'll get SE qualifications and can play in the newbie queue as an SE if you wish (in that situation, you could replace into a newbie or SE slot, or play a game from the start as an SE).

You might well want to look into playing a game in a different Queue; some people like Newbie games in particular and stick with them forever, but many people find there's another sort of game they prefer. The most obvious "next step up" is a Mini Normal, which has slightly more players (another four), and the dealing with the setup is slightly more complex (because it's not known to the players in advance; the actual amount of complexity in the setup is typically comparable to that of a Newbie game, allowing for the higher number of players). If you like smaller games, the Micro Queue is a good place to find games with 9 players or less, and typically has a range of games from simple to complex (although as of right now it's in a bit of a bottleneck because the mod supply ran out recently; we found more mods but it's been held up a bit because it takes a while for all the players who were waiting to filter through). The Open Queue is also a good place for your third game; the setups are often more complex than a Newbie game's would be, and the games are often slightly larger, but all the details are presented in advance in the queue so you can see if you think the game would be a good fit for you.

(There are also Mini Theme, Large Theme (sometimes), and Large Normal games available. I wouldn't recommend any of these for a third game, although if you see one you're particularly interested in, you might want to PM the moderator and ask them if they think it would be suitable for a player with two games' experience.)
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #6519 (isolation #11) » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:56 am

In post 6518, BartTheFart wrote:/in for next
I am a newbie is this the correct way of entering?
Yes, should be. Note that it may be a while (typically a week or so) before you're assigned to a game, because we have to wait for everyone (the newbies, the SEs, the IC, the moderator, and Mina) to all be ready before the game can start.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #6523 (isolation #12) » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:18 pm

In post 6521, nancy wrote:Happy to serve as newbie replacement, also. (Unsure if this need specifying.)
Replacements work the other way round; because the slot's been empty for a while, moderators ideally want someone who's online at the time to replace in so that the players don't need to wait longer. So if a moderator's in need of a replacement, they'll post in this thread, and the replacement normally goes to the first appropriate player who responds to the post with a private message asking for a slot. The problem with having a replacement queue is that newbies have a tendency to vanish (even more so than experienced players), and so if we had such a queue we couldn't know which of the replacements might need replacing themselves.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #6530 (isolation #13) » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:36 pm

In post 6528, Seungsik wrote:
In post 6527, Seungsik wrote:/in for next
as newbie. sorry don't know how to edit
Generally speaking, you can't edit game- or queue-related posts around here unless you're some sort of moderator. In the queue, editing a post would be too easy to miss, and might cause mistakes in placing people in games. In game, editing posts would remove the record of what people had said, giving an advantage to people who saw the post before it was edited.

In cases where a post badly needs to be edited, you can normally contact a moderator, but that's pretty rare.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #6567 (isolation #14) » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:44 pm

Just as a reminder, replacing into games is always done by PM to the moderator (and although the moderator can choose who they want in the slot, they nearly always pick the first newbie who applies, or the first player who applies if there are no newbie available quickly). We don't have a queue for people replacing in, because it can take a while to determine if they're online / still around, and if a game's already gone a while with a player missing, we don't really want to hold it up further trying to figure out where the replacement has got to.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #6603 (isolation #15) » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:32 pm

In post 6598, Gamma Emerald wrote:Non-substantive is ok actually
Please be clear that you're
very
limited in what counts as non-substantive; pretty much all you're allowed to say is a count of the number of games a player is alive in.

"I'm alive in 5 games" is a legal statement. Likewise, "I'm dead in all my games" (= "I died in my first game") is a legal statement.
Basically
anything
beyond that (e.g. "I was lynched") is banned.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #6613 (isolation #16) » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:31 am

In post 6611, Stormcloud wrote:Sorry to ask so many questions, but if I'm in the newbie queue for my first newbie game, I'm not allowed to play any other newbie games at the same time, right? Am I allowed to play games on any other sections of the site simultaneously?
If you're in your very first game, you can't play in other newbie games at the same time. You can play elsewhere on the site, assuming the moderator of the game is happy to let a player with no completed games play. (Many moderators are fine with this, if the game's simple enough; for example,I allow players with no completed games into most of my games, although I don't if the game is particularly complex.)

If you've completed one game, you still can't play two newbie games simultaneously from the start, but you can at that point replace into multiple newbie games. (You can't be in multiple newbie games at once, either from the start or via replacement, until you have one game completed.)
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #6640 (isolation #17) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:57 am

Games can take a while to start because everyone needs to be ready at the same time (the newbies, the SEs, the ICs, the moderator, and Mina). Typically we're talking about a week or so if you're a Newbie in the Newbie Queue, because we try to optimize the queue system to give them the shortest queue times (this is one of the big reasons that the SE categorisation exists: it's so that people who aren't new any more can't take up the faster-moving newbie slots).

Newbie games have an IC (or "Inexperienced-Challenged") player, who's an experienced player who will try to give generally useful advice as the game goes on; most newbie games will also end up with other experienced players in from time to time (some SEs are fairly experienced, and experienced players are also known to replace in on occasion), which can supplement that advice. (Additionally, if you happen to be a member of the Mafia team, you might get advice from the other member overNight in your private communication thread, although it's impossible to guarantee that.)
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #6698 (isolation #18) » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:52 am

Newbie games can take a while to start because they need a precise mix of players with different qualifications; they also need the mod and Mina to be ready. So although it "just" needs nine players and a moderator, getting all the players and moderator ready at the same time can be difficult.
scum
town
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #6886 (isolation #19) » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:14 pm

In post 6882, Pyra wrote:(Just curious what's the general time commitment for a game? I know that in total games can take a month or more to complete but what's the general amount of time I should try to spend daily as a player?)
You typically need to read and maybe respond to everything that's happened since last time you posted. If you're playing purely reactively, I typically find that's about half an hour per day on average (i.e. if you don't post one day, you might need to spend an hour the next day). Thinking deeply about the game to prepare cases and the like can take much longer, sometimes hours, but there isn't a requirement to do that at all and especially not every day; do it when you have the time and motivation.
scum
town

Return to “Completed Signups”