Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix
Pronoun: She/Faer

Post Post #1125 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:36 am

Post by Lady Lambdadelta »

In post 1123, KingdomAces wrote:I don't think SSBM would really work if you go for competitive play. The mod would be forced to play Fox, but then that doesn't leave a single character for anyone else to play.

Spoiler:
Okay Marth, Sheik, Falco, Falcon, Jiggs, Peach, Pikachu, Luigi, Samus, and possibly Gannondorf would also be possible, but I literally can't think of anyone else I've seen played. Though I guess someone could be Randall also...
HUNGRYBOX'S JIGGLYPUFF SAYS HI
Yes my Lord, but questions are dangerous, for they have answers.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Soar on wings of retribution and set the world ablaze
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #1126 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:37 am

In post 1124, Flameaxe wrote:
In post 1114, Lady Lambdadelta wrote:
In post 1113, xofelf wrote:It's a good thing this isn't just the Survivor Game thread then!
I don't actually see why? There hasn't been with the times Mario has been reused, and has it been REUSED. Whether as part of themes under a Survivor, or the entire theme of one, or the theme of an Endurance, or
Mole.
Having different mods is enough to differentiate one would think. The first K-Scope Pokemon also used Pokemon as player characters. But you know what has only been done once in a Pokemon theme? The Trainers themselves. If you really feel the entire burning need to make it drastically different, there's the thing that has only been done once with TBO's Arena.
lol jk this will never happen.

:(
hi lld
hi bbm

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
KingdomAces
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1127 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:37 am

Post by KingdomAces »

Who do you think Jiggs is? I was too lazy to actually look up how to spell it.
Never be sorry for your little time.

It's not when you get there, it's always the climb.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #1128 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:40 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 1123, KingdomAces wrote:Okay Marth, Sheik, Falco, Falcon, Jiggs, Peach, Pikachu, Luigi, Samus, and possibly Gannondorf would also be possible, but I literally can't think of anyone else I've seen played. Though I guess someone could be Randall also...
Uh, I meant incorporating eSports into the design of the game, not making everyone play a tournament-viable character.

Also you're randomly missing Ice Climbers.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #1129 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:40 am

Post by BROseidon »

Also Fox/Falco/Marth are all pretty close as far as overall strength as characters go. Sheik is only a little noticeably worse, and tbh her matchup spread would get a lot better of Stadium got banned as a tournament stage.
Klick
Klick
Flash Forward
Klick
Flash Forward
Flash Forward

Post Post #1130 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:41 am

Post by Klick »

Ice Climbers? They could get a Legendary Box and effectively wobble the whole game.

Also
In post 1122, animorpherv1 wrote:Edit: /in for Survivor: Themes Are Hard
I think we found our sequel

PEdit: aww BRO beat me to it
KingdomAces
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
KingdomAces
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1131 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:42 am

Post by KingdomAces »

:facepalm:

Yeah. I knew I had to be missing someone.

And the Fox thing was more talking about the meme, I don't actually think Fox is that much stronger than the rest of the cast.
Never be sorry for your little time.

It's not when you get there, it's always the climb.
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1132 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:46 am

Post by Cephrir »

someone could play as final destination
"I would prefer not to." --Herman Melville,
Bartleby the Scrivener
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #1133 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:47 am

Post by Xalxe »

can I be no items
"I, too, would prefer to know the Xalxe of my demise." - Felissan, 2022
- On this day in history: mundanity, and terror, and food, and love, and trees -
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #1134 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:51 am

Post by BROseidon »

Depends on what you mean by "the rest of the cast."

Like, Fox is the best or 2nd best character in the game (tossup with him and Marth), but he's not THAT much better than Sheik, who's pretty clearly #4. Peach/Puff are pretty clearly 5-6, and how you permute them depends on how much you value Peach's better matchup against Spacies relative to Puff completely shitting on Peach, but HBox and Armada have shown that both these characters can keep up with the very best, most technical Spacies.

The Falcon/IC level is when I start to think that the character is actively holding you back. ICs benefit a LOT from both matchup knowledge asymmetry and the fact that they can super randomly take stocks, but no ICs have really hit the absolute top level of play. Also, IC/Peach is an unwinnable matchup for IC. Falcon I think is just kind of bad and will continue to get worse over time. Bad neutral+shit recovery+easy weight to combo=sad character.

After that we're really getting into gimmick characters who have to take advantage of matchup knowledge asymmetries or big disparities in skill to get wins. Samus/Pikachu/Luigi are all really interesting characters that each do 1-2 things SUPER well, but they have such glaring weaknesses that they're just super abusable (even ICs "big weakness" of kill Nana results in the IC player playing a character that's almost as good as Luigi). Honestly, I'd love, like, a SINGLE balance patch in melee that buffed a lot of these characters a bit to even out the playing field a little. Really everyone from like Falcon through Luigi are SO CLOSE to being "good" characters that it wouldn't really take much to put them at the level where they can actually compete.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #1135 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:52 am

Post by BROseidon »

Also if we do a hilariously themed SSBM, I call Invisible Ceiling Glitch.
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1136 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:17 am

Post by DeathNote »

You guys should take this conversation to a private thread where you can continue to design this game for us. That way I can actually join.
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #1137 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:21 am

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

I actually ran Super Survivor Bros. for my IRL friends. Much fun was had by all.
Klick
Klick
Flash Forward
Klick
Flash Forward
Flash Forward

Post Post #1138 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:34 am

Post by Klick »

Nich and I were gonna run a SSBM Survivor. We talked about it probably a couple of years ago, but it never really took off.
xofelf
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
Miss Mash
Pronoun: they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)

Post Post #1139 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:05 am

Post by xofelf »

That sounds like modding with Nich, yup.
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to reknow a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697
PiggyGal15
PiggyGal15
Mafia Scum
PiggyGal15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1140 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:32 am

Post by PiggyGal15 »

In post 1099, CuddlyCaucasian wrote:Would anyone be interested in Survivor: Hamilton?

(edit: failed quote D: )
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1141 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:37 am

Post by Fluminator »

In post 1114, Lady Lambdadelta wrote:
In post 1113, xofelf wrote:It's a good thing this isn't just the Survivor Game thread then!
I don't actually see why? There hasn't been with the times Mario has been reused, and has it been REUSED. Whether as part of themes under a Survivor, or the entire theme of one, or the theme of an Endurance, or
Mole.
Having different mods is enough to differentiate one would think. The first K-Scope Pokemon also used Pokemon as player characters. But you know what has only been done once in a Pokemon theme? The Trainers themselves. If you really feel the entire burning need to make it drastically different, there's the thing that has only been done once with TBO's Arena.
lol jk this will never happen.

:(
Lol, I planned on doing one with the idea of there being two groups of ten, with each group having a mole, and at the end, the two winners would compete in a final challenge where the money would help them. (Forcing contestants to actually care about how much money they made)
I had some planning done, but then life kind of got distracting.
racefan12
racefan12
Townie
racefan12
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1142 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:03 pm

Post by racefan12 »

"Forcing contestants to actually care about how much money they made)"

This has pretty much been the only issue with all the online games of The Mole that I've played.
PrivateI:
I wish I could bang on the home keys on my keyboard to create an appeal to emotion. It sounds so...soothing.

CuddlyCaucasian:
Mafiascum: a land where pansexuality is widely accepted and understood while two people who share the same first name cause mass confusion

You have questions about me? I try to give you answers!
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #1143 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:07 pm

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

Convert the fake money into an Amazon gift card.

Obviously there would be a fake:real exchange rate other than 1:1.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #1144 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:22 pm

A couple of things about The Mole: A List

1) I have a copy of the execution program they used in the US show for anyone who wants to run the game. This program lets you enter your quiz, and then manually enter the quiz results for each player (including timing how long it takes to complete, so you can manage ties on your own too). Then, the program records scores and eliminates the non-mole non exempt player with the lowest score and slowest time if a tie. Drawbacks are that you can only make one player "exempt" per round, but you can always answer the quiz all "correct" for a second exempt player if you want.

Then the real fun begins because you get the effect of being able to type the name into the box and have the screen go Green or Red. It's a really cool thing that I've used for IRL Mole games in the past.

2) The Mole IRL has an advantage that real money is at play and the contestants have a reason to want to win. A way to counter balance this online is very easy. The Mole's Pot.

The Mole's pot is simply that, a mechanic in which the Mole makes any money that the players lose, and if at the end of the game the Mole outweighs the Players, the Mole wins instead.

The drawback is obviously that this encourages the mole to blatantly sabotage even more, but the counter balance to that is simply to institute an addendum that if the mole is identified in more than X number of quizzes, or the total scores of the contestants are totalled more than X% correct, the Mole loses anyway.

3) The game is way way better if Spectators don't know who the Mole is, and if the Mole has 2 confessionals. One where they act like a player, and one where they act in the Mole's capacity. Obviously the second one is hidden from everyone except the mods and Mole. This also means you can do Journal Swaps without having the Mole be totally boned.

4) Your biggest twists should be the challenges themselves, as opposed to gimmicks. The Mole is a game of deduction and works best if the things that fuck with the players are challenges or tests, as opposed to secret powers or new rules. The format is flexible to all kinds of bullshit, don't try to reinvent the wheel.

5)
Fucking inform your Mole of what you're doing.
They're your double agent, hired by you. Don't just leave them to the wolves and say good luck. Definitely there are times when having the Mole be in the dark about things is better, but it's important to tell your Mole what is coming and what group to be in and stuff like that. Additionally, this adds to the suspicion because if someone ends up in the right place at the right time, then that could be molish. I can't recall how many Mole games I've played in where the Mole was like totally clueless to what was going on and it showed in the final score at the end.

6) Have a really cool theme. The Mole is a game of intrigue and suspicion. The Mole: Disney is just... depressing and dull. A number of themes I've hosted or played in that I thought were really fucking cool:

The Mole: 24 (Mole game set in a show where there's always a Mole in CTU, trying to save lives in LA during each challenge. Instead of money, the score total was "lives saved".)
The Mole: Final Destination (Mole game set in the Final Destination universe where in addition to winning money and catching the Mole, players were working together to thwart Death's Plan, and save each other from pre-determined deaths in the game. Additionally, every "executed" player was uh, well, executed. It was a bit gimmicky, but theme wise it was a lot of fun.)
The Mole: Camelot (Mole game where the score card wasn't dollars, but Virtue and Vice, and only by reaching a certain amount of Virtue could the winner retrieve the holy grail, while the traitor in the round table tried to stop them.)
The Mole: United Nations (Essentially one country was trying to start a Global Thermonuclear War and the others were trying to stop it by keeping the Defcon levels down, which was done by winning challenges.)

So yeah, like, there's a lot that can be done with The Mole as a theme that isn't like... "The Mole: Pokemon Edition". Use the format to guide you. Or just copy one of the ones I just mentioned because they're still pretty fucking cool.

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
racefan12
racefan12
Townie
racefan12
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1145 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:43 pm

Post by racefan12 »

Lady Lambdadelta wrote:The Mole's pot is simply that, a mechanic in which the Mole makes any money that the players lose, and if at the end of the game the Mole outweighs the Players, the Mole wins instead.

The drawback is obviously that this encourages the mole to blatantly sabotage even more, but the counter balance to that is simply to institute an addendum that if the mole is identified in more than X number of quizzes, or the total scores of the contestants are totalled more than X% correct, the Mole loses anyway.
I've seen this done slightly differently, where only money actually forfeited due to the Mole's own sabotage (as opposed to mistakes or intentional sabotage from a player) went into the Mole's pot. The second condition above was also in play.
PrivateI:
I wish I could bang on the home keys on my keyboard to create an appeal to emotion. It sounds so...soothing.

CuddlyCaucasian:
Mafiascum: a land where pansexuality is widely accepted and understood while two people who share the same first name cause mass confusion

You have questions about me? I try to give you answers!
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1146 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:51 pm

Post by Fluminator »

Sounds awesome LLD. I'd be interested in that program.
Do you have links to the mole games you mentioned there? Or were they irl?
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #1147 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:53 pm

I think a lot of them are dead now, but I can try searching?

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #1148 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:53 pm

the ones I mentioned there are all online except United Nations which was a game I hosted IRL

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #1149 (ISO) » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:55 pm

(It was hosted at a Model UN thing)

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us

Return to “Social Game Archive”