Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #2475 (ISO) » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:52 pm

Post by Chevre »

also I have Jackbox Party Pack 3 and Trivia Murder Party looks PERFECT for the occasion
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2476 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:52 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Played Le Havre last night; I seem to forget how much I enjoy Le Havre until I play it again. Really enjoyable, but I always seem to finish one turn shy of winning. Had an opponent jam the Steel Mill at just the wrong time, and realized to my regret that it meant I would be one turn short of building a Luxury Ship, and that turned out to be the margin of victory. Alas.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/they

Post Post #2477 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:03 am

Post by Fenchurch »

In post 2475, Chevre wrote:also I have Jackbox Party Pack 3 and Trivia Murder Party looks PERFECT for the occasion
What is this? It looks intriguing, but also kind expensive, and I couldn't find any information about how the game actually works.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix
Pronoun: She/Faer

Post Post #2478 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:04 am

Post by Lady Lambdadelta »

In post 2477, Fenchurch wrote:
In post 2475, Chevre wrote:also I have Jackbox Party Pack 3 and Trivia Murder Party looks PERFECT for the occasion
What is this? It looks intriguing, but also kind expensive, and I couldn't find any information about how the game actually works.
not a board game, it's from the makers oof YDKJ and it's a party game for 4-8 players plus an audience as the game is meant as a streaming game.
Yes my Lord, but questions are dangerous, for they have answers.

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
Soar on wings of retribution and set the world ablaze
Fenchurch
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Fenchurch
she/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/they

Post Post #2479 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:06 am

Post by Fenchurch »

Yeah I gathered most of that from looking it up, but I was wondering more about the actual rules, how you play, etc..?
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #2480 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:10 am

with your phones at jackbox.tv

TMP is a trivia gae where if you answer wrong you play a minigame and potentially die and the winner at the end is the one who escapes with their life but ghosts can try and steal the final player's body in the last round

13 heads and counting now, plurality is adaptive. If our experience might help you,
click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
, we are Niamh, Rhiannon, Rhea, Aisling, Saoirse, Selene, Aoife, Fírinne, Aurélie, Lyra, Airna, Fiadh and Laoise.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2481 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:51 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

i yelled and screamed drunkenly about Machi Koro on mine/UT's podcast: www.drunkdice.com

i really liked the game even though i spend 20 minutes shitting on it
green shirt thursdays
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #2482 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:59 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

MEIN PODCAST
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #2483 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:00 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

Reck is gay hitler confirmed
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #2484 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:01 am

Post by hiplop »

Im glad yall are doing this again. I dont have enough podcasts to walk with
third best scummer of all time
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2485 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:35 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

we're just calling it season two to cover up for the fact we were just really lazy
green shirt thursdays
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #2486 (ISO) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:40 am

Post by Vi »

In post 2474, Chevre wrote:7 Wonders (easy to explain and always a hit)
Meaning this as nothing against you or 7 Wonders, but it's not a game I'd consider "easy to explain". The first few games are full of questions about how the heck Science scores and what these weird yellow cards do.

Me and some people from work finally scraped together an afternoon of board games (apparently football was on a bye week or something). Argent will still never get played because it requires only these two people to be there and for them to both want to play it. :(

*Carcassonne - In which I made an unofficial allegiance with the yellow player so we could score the same cities and farms, and mutually hateblocked the green player from completing a field that would have swung a 24-point farm. I came out ahead mostly from better placements (gg experience) with like 80-90 points or something silly, carrying the yellow player ten points behind me and coming close to lapping the green player, who had gone all-or-nothing on drawing one of the two tiles he needed to make that field.

*Ra - A bizarre session where two auction tracks got wiped, I wound up with like 11 pharaohs, and all three of us wanted the second epoch to have a giant meteor end it. I thought I was going to lose it 4certain because I only had highest pharaohs, high suns, and one or two 3-civ rounds, but the score turned out 37-38-40 in my favor despite everyone else having all the Niles and one person with like 25 points on monuments. Everyone agreed that no one made any obvious mistakes.

*Sentinels of the Multiverse - Parse: Fugue State + Dark Watch NightMist + X-TREME PRIME WARDENS CAPTAIN COSMIC vs. The Dreamer at the Tomb of Anubis. The environment killed so many Projections. Then it pushed The Dreamer to 1 HP and began indirectly killing us. Then it killed more projections (five out of the six needed to end the game). Then it killed us. We would have won had we been able to survive the Environment turn. :/
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #2487 (ISO) » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:19 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

In post 2471, Vi wrote:Power Grid is a three-hour game that basically comes down to the last turn as long as a given player wasn't knocked out of contention a long time ago. If you're remotely close to the lead, going first on the resource buy will probably win you the game if you've saved up for it.
Yeah, that's why I gave up on it. The end game is so disjoint from the rest, and the time investment is purely insane.
Retired as of October 2014.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #2488 (ISO) » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:36 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

In post 2407, Vi wrote:A note about Argent is that you will absolutely go over the advertised game length unless everyone playing has played a couple of games before. I've played several games with people from my department (and lost every one because of silly Astronomy Tower abuse on the part of one of the others/heavy gambling on schools that didn't count) and it was easily over half the gaming session every time.
Related note, are you saying it goes 150x2?? Jesus.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #2489 (ISO) » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:08 am

In post 2489, Mr. Flay wrote:
In post 2407, Vi wrote:A note about Argent is that you will absolutely go over the advertised game length unless everyone playing has played a couple of games before. I've played several games with people from my department (and lost every one because of silly Astronomy Tower abuse on the part of one of the others/heavy gambling on schools that didn't count) and it was easily over half the gaming session every time.
Related note, are you saying it goes 150x2?? Jesus.
Argent with no new players takes about 1 1/2-2 hours.

Argent with 1-2 new players takes 3.

Any more than that, you should be playing a "practice round" becasuse you're looking at 4+ hours with 3 newbies who have no idea what is going on

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #2490 (ISO) » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:42 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 2488, Mr. Flay wrote:
In post 2471, Vi wrote:Power Grid is a three-hour game that basically comes down to the last turn as long as a given player wasn't knocked out of contention a long time ago. If you're remotely close to the lead, going first on the resource buy will probably win you the game if you've saved up for it.
Yeah, that's why I gave up on it. The end game is so disjoint from the rest, and the time investment is purely insane.
FWIW Power Grid: Factory Manager is a similar game with only a one-hour time investment.

LLD's time scale on Argent looks right, but playing with more than two new players just shouldn't happen, ever. It's too probable that at least one of the new players is going to short-circuit from information overload. (Full disclosure: I was that player when I first played)
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #2491 (ISO) » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:24 pm

Post by chamber »

I played with all new players and we started at 2 am the first time I played Argent.
Taking a break from the site.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #2492 (ISO) » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:23 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Sadness. Our game group usually balks at 90m games, and everyone would be 'new players' the first time...
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #2493 (ISO) » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:32 pm

In post 2493, Mr. Flay wrote:Sadness. Our game group usually balks at 90m games, and everyone would be 'new players' the first time...
my advice? have everyone sit down and watch a "how to play video" AND have you read through all the rules and watch that video prior to doing it so you can answer questions.

Alternatively, play a game online with me, since I'm experienced, and I can teach you how to make it run smoother.

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2494 (ISO) » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:51 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

My advice: buy a woodcutter's axe, carve "Murderin' Axe" into the handle, brandish it meaningfully while suggesting your game of choice.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
GreyICE
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
GreyICE
Fifty Shades
Fifty Shades

Post Post #2495 (ISO) » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:30 pm

Post by GreyICE »

Happily up for that.

If your group thinks Power Grid is the height of complexity though Argent is probably going to fall a little flat. It's a pretty big and interesting game.
Show
That which is done out of love always takes place beyond good and evil

Official Visigoth

Read Mother Jones
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #2496 (ISO) » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:09 am

Post by Vi »

In post 2496, GreyICE wrote:It's a
really
big and interesting game.
Fixed. My core group (of professional nerds) agrees that it's the best game they've ever played, but also a brain-burner.

Also, I'd probably be in for committing arson dangerously near GreyICE's kids if four players wouldn't be too many. Unless the above post was referring to Sudo's post. Personally I'd be up for that too.

But, if 90 minutes is too long, I'd again point to Code of Nine as long as you have exactly four players. It's similar in concept but has many fewer moving parts.
Lady Lambdadelta
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Lady Lambdadelta
She/Faer
Rise of the Phoenix
Rise of the Phoenix

Post Post #2497 (ISO) » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:20 am

In post 2497, Vi wrote:
In post 2496, GreyICE wrote:It's a
really
big and interesting game.
Fixed. My core group (of professional nerds) agrees that it's the best game they've ever played, but also a brain-burner.

Also, I'd probably be in for committing arson dangerously near GreyICE's kids if four players wouldn't be too many. Unless the above post was referring to Sudo's post. Personally I'd be up for that too.

But, if 90 minutes is too long, I'd again point to Code of Nine as long as you have exactly four players. It's similar in concept but has many fewer moving parts.
I think 4 is optimal for Argent, personally.

click here
If you wish to
speak to one of us
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #2498 (ISO) » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:46 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Code of Nine looks interesting. We're big fans of Mysterium and Code Names of late.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2499 (ISO) » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:52 pm

Post by PJ. »

Reading this thread got me interested in board games, so I looked up a few games I could play with just 1 or 2 others. I found Jaipur. Me and my girlfriend played a couple rounds of it and we really liked it. I recommend it.

I also grabbed munchkin but I'm sure everyone interested in munchkin has already played and knows everything they need to know about that.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.

Return to “The Arcade”