Title Fairy: Killer App Edition (Swipe Right!)

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #2550 (ISO) » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:34 pm

Post by Kublai Khan »

There comes a point where the recipient of the potential title should decide if it's negative or not. Not the peanut gallery.
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2551 (ISO) » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:35 pm

Post by Killthestory »

thats why when it's nommed by the peanut gallery they decide if they like it or not
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #2552 (ISO) » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:37 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 2549, Frozen Angel wrote:
In post 2537, Aristophanes wrote:I would like to know what a "Scheherazade" is and why that is a good title.
That said, I think a good, creative title about Nahdia's good, creative writing is well deserved and will revisit this later if it does not get discussed properly at this time.
Sharhrzad or Scheherazade is a persian queen who was with a bloodthirsty harsh unworthy king who had no idea how to rule but with violence. The only thing that had an effect on king was her stories . she told a story each night for one thousend and one nights. The book is her stories and how she changed the kings attitude and everything.

I read the story a long time ago so I might be wrong in some details of the above

But her personality and what nahdia is doing to mafia scum is exactly a mirror of her
Oh! The Arabian Nights stories! I watched Aladdin :P

Cool, I like that a lot! Thanks for the explanation!

Nth Scheherazade
or whatever variation it ends up with.
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2553 (ISO) » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:41 pm

Post by Accountant »

Thought experiment on negative titles:

Suppose there was a user who was a well-known Neo-Nazi and frequently expresses pro-Nazi, anti-semitic attitudes. Do you think a title referencing that trait(like "Holocaust Denier" or "Jew Hater") would be an appropriate title? The neo-nazi himself loves it, of course.
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #2554 (ISO) » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:42 pm

Post by Not_Mafia »

That's a silly analogy on so many levels
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Accountant
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Accountant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2555 (ISO) » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:43 pm

Post by Accountant »

It's not an analogy

I was merely asking if they would think it's an appropriate title

I'm not trying to prove a point
There's nothing that says that a fake can't beat the real thing.

You must not imagine that for beings like you and us there can be laughter. The low men laugh, and we envy them. But for us, the higher ones, there is no laughter, only an unending vigil, purely serious, stretching on into the night.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #2556 (ISO) » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:48 pm

Post by Chevre »

Accept
Honey Trap.
I talked to animorpherv1 about this and he did find 95.7% Noise unfitting at this moment in time. While simply removing the title is an option, I think that Honey Trap is a worthwhile replacement. It’s a lovely coincidence that his result was a literal honey trap, and for the forseeable future, the security breach and resulting investigation and bans seem momentous. I get that some can see the dark connotation here, but we all clearly know that ani is setting up dates to find cheating suitors. 48 hours!

---
With regard to the Accountant situation, I stand by what I said. Given how we vet and control the stream of titles on MafiaScum, I don’t see how you can’t view them as rewards, or at least awards for outstanding or joyful behavior. Somehow, condescending titles or titles that represent not-so-lovely qualities such as TheButtonmen’s “Buns of Steel” have been approved by previous fairies, but I do not believe that I will be doing the same. I didn’t approve shotty for Bussed So Hard because it wasn’t good gameplay, even though it was persistent and memetic. I haven’t approved McMenno for Aren’t We All because so many find it an annoying, needless utterance. I won’t approve Accountant for Deus Vult because I don’t see anyone really commending Accountant for this stubborn devotion to a philosophy. It’s by no means wrong to have a set of rules which guide your life, but to incessantly inject it into others’ conversations may be. It’s usually annoying and often upsetting. I know this, because I’ve been that sort of person on this very website, and I still continue to do it from time to time. I wouldn’t want to be rewarded for behavior that so many scummers find displeasing.
Finally, I think that no matter how much you do it, there’s a definite touch of condescension to the title. It’s not as obvious as suggesting FACE for me, but in the future when someone wants Deus Vult explained to them, I feel as though it’s going to be done with a touch of “can you
believe
this guy?” Looking at the list of titles I’ve approved, I believe that each of them demonstrated a level of respect: “We appreciate this user because of something they did or something they continue to do.” Deus Vult does not feel the same.

---
Approve
Scheherazade.
It’s been said in the thread by now but Scheherazade is the storyteller from
One Thousand and One Nights
, and given her Speakeasy thread and just her general tale-telling nature, it’s a really great fit. A tiny part of me pines for a pun, but someone in the thread said that puns aren’t necessary in every title, and I think this is one of those times, because Scheherazade is so perfect. 48 hours!

---
Re: Updating the Title page on the wiki
– I think it’s a wonderful idea, and I actually went through and composed a list of all the titles, in what I’m sure was a much more daunting project than whatever Psyche did remarkably and unexplainably in like 5 minutes. Whatever the case, we now have 2 complete lists between us, so it’s just a matter of doing the wiki work to get it all updated. I do also like the idea of having a separate spreadsheet. The trickiest thing about all of this, other than the time consumed working, is the explanations; for that we might just bluff it for now and then if someone wants to go through the previous Title Fairy threads and source nominations and discussions on the titles, that’d be pretty great. #projects

---
Reject
Shockmaster
. I have a plethora of reasons for this, first of which is his recent ban. Interestingly, the ban does not seem to ban him from Site Ideas nor PMs, so he could totally approve this title (Correction edit: Panzerjager cannot post in Site Ideas). But if we’re honest with ourselves, it’s a ban we’ve seen coming for a week, and despite its relative severity I think we were all expecting a permaban. I don’t really care to reward a user who is currently banned.
Furthermore, I don’t really see Panzerjager as somene who uses shocking humor, per se. To me, he is someone who is of honest opinion and unflinching in his words, and while that sometimes leads to humorous situations, he’s not purposefully saying shocking things for laughs. I feel like once you know Panzerjager, the shocking things become the times where he steps over the boundaries, like in the recent Large Theme or Survivor: LoL. And those are not good things.

---
Re: Anti-Noms
– I reiterate Flameaxe’s point that anti-noms don’t have a legitimate meaning in that when the time comes to add up the nths, I don’t subtract one for every anti-nom. However, what is useful about them is that it shows displeasure with the nomination, and if need be I can contact that person and get their stance and opinion on the measure. It’s cool if you want to just put your reasonings for the anti-nom in the post with it, but I also understand not doing so and keeping it private.

---
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #2557 (ISO) » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:49 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 2550, Kublai Khan wrote:There comes a point where the recipient of the potential title should decide if it's negative or not. Not the peanut gallery.
But would this need to happen before or after the Fairy gives a verdict?

If before, it influences the masses.
If after, it's kinda too late (Unless one weighs in and accepts after it has gotten enough "Nths" but before an official judgement is made, which could in itself get messy, though work arounds are possible). Like, if the Nths are gotten, the title is brought to the attention of the nominated party and they are asked if, theoretically, they would accept it, and then the Fairy makes their verdict, it is unfair to those who eventually will have the Fairy deny them the title for whatever reason, and could hurt feelings. But it is the only real way I see potential titles get a ruling by the nominated party prior to the Fairy deciding if it is negative or not. Having the Fairy only approach those he would consider passing is an option, but then he may as well just approve them, as the current system dictates, and have them accept or deny. This also requires the fairy to not take into account the negativity of any possible title if that is the only/main point against it, which we know is very hard to facilitate in practice.

Basically, the current system has this built in, if the Fairy is both unbiased and willing to pass possibly negative titles.

I got mega ninja'd, so my apologies if this is no longer relevant.
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2558 (ISO) » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:54 pm

Post by Alchemist21 »

In post 2553, Accountant wrote:Thought experiment on negative titles:

Suppose there was a user who was a well-known Neo-Nazi and frequently expresses pro-Nazi, anti-semitic attitudes. Do you think a title referencing that trait(like "Holocaust Denier" or "Jew Hater") would be an appropriate title? The neo-nazi himself loves it, of course.
Someone like this would get banned faster than they could even get a title.
Killthestory
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Killthestory
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2559 (ISO) » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:55 pm

Post by Killthestory »

i think anyone who has such views that people could oppose them just because of their views is someone who'd get banned.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #2560 (ISO) » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:58 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

Chevre, that was a very well put post and I do agree with you on the points you brought up. I know much of that addressed things I've been harping on, and I'll stop doing so (with the exception of the occasional joke or to prove a point, as I did with Panzer).

And good lick on the Wiki! It's a large endeavour, but it would be really neat to have it complete! :)
- Jingle
SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #2561 (ISO) » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:47 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

Keep up the good work Chevre
To be clear: quack
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #2562 (ISO) » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:03 am

Post by Nahdia »

In post 2556, Chevre wrote:
Approve
Scheherazade.
It’s been said in the thread by now but Scheherazade is the storyteller from
One Thousand and One Nights
, and given her Speakeasy thread and just her general tale-telling nature, it’s a really great fit. A tiny part of me pines for a pun, but someone in the thread said that puns aren’t necessary in every title, and I think this is one of those times, because Scheherazade is so perfect. 48 hours!
Adore it on multiple levels. Thanks very much, friends~
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

"I’m going to harness love for epidemiological purposes."
-Zaphkael, 2020
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #2563 (ISO) » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:40 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

In post 2556, Chevre wrote:
Accept
Honey Trap.
I talked to animorpherv1 about this and he did find 95.7% Noise unfitting at this moment in time. While simply removing the title is an option, I think that Honey Trap is a worthwhile replacement. It’s a lovely coincidence that his result was a literal honey trap, and for the forseeable future, the security breach and resulting investigation and bans seem momentous. I get that some can see the dark connotation here, but we all clearly know that ani is setting up dates to find cheating suitors. 48 hours!
Yas plz
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #2564 (ISO) » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:03 pm

Post by vonflare »

In post 2556, Chevre wrote: It’s a lovely coincidence that his result was a literal honey trap, and for the forseeable future, the security breach and resulting investigation and bans seem momentous. I get that some can see the dark connotation here, but we all clearly know that ani is setting up dates to find cheating suitors.
did i miss something what are you talking about
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Shaziro
Shaziro
Mafia Scum
Shaziro
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2565 (ISO) » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:04 pm

Post by Shaziro »

The pokemon he got in the quiz was a Weepinbell. Which is a honey trap plant pokemon.
zakk
zakk
Jack of All Trades
zakk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2566 (ISO) » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:39 am

Post by zakk »

Oh I'm sorry I thought it was cool to rip on chevre at the moment

"Keep up the good work chevre"
permanently retired

see here for more info
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #2567 (ISO) » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:51 am

Post by Cheetory6 »

Keeping up that streak eh?
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #2568 (ISO) » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:47 pm

Post by vonflare »

and they don't stop coming
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
thenewearth
thenewearth
Mafia Scum
thenewearth
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2569 (ISO) » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:22 pm

Post by thenewearth »

Fed to the rules and I hit the ground running
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #2570 (ISO) » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:39 pm

Post by Firebringer »

i so want to nom not mafia for "all star" since he has been getting that song stuck in my head several times in the past few weeks.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
zakk
zakk
Jack of All Trades
zakk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2571 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:11 pm

Post by zakk »

In post 2567, Cheetory6 wrote:Keeping up that streak eh?
Yea I guess. Ur really cool btw
permanently retired

see here for more info
Cheetory6
Cheetory6
MS Painter
Cheetory6
MS Painter
MS Painter

Post Post #2572 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:17 pm

Post by Cheetory6 »

Thanks man.
Cheers.
Spiffeh
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Paragone

Post Post #2573 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:38 pm

Post by Spiffeh »

I also think you are cool Cheetory6
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #2574 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:40 pm

Post by Firebringer »

I think everyone thinks Cheetory6 is cool.
Gorkington is cooler though.
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown

Return to “Player Titles”