Feature Announcements

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #5 (isolation #0) » Thu May 05, 2011 7:04 am

Post by Kison »

Code: Select all

[countdown]2011-09-30 00:00:00[/countdown]

Produces:
(expired on 2011-09-30 00:00:00)

Code: Select all

[countdown]YYYY-mm-dd HH:MM:SS[/countdown]

Board time.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #23 (isolation #1) » Sun May 08, 2011 12:04 am

Post by Kison »

No it is using Eastern Time right now. It doesn't matter what the user's time zone is set to. It will always be the same.

The server is using east coast time while the board is set to use central time. For that reason we might need to reconfigure the countdown tags to adhere to the board time, which would speed them up by one hour. Doing this will let them stay consistent even if the server moves to some random time zone.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #40 (isolation #2) » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:02 am

Post by Kison »

SleepyKrew wrote:
Vi wrote:Both. Neither the site nor its admins will out your alts, but they are associated with your main account for reasons that might or might not come to fruition.

But people can just lie.

The new fields require you to enter your main account's username and password. You can try to lie, but you'd better be very good at guessing passwords.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #49 (isolation #3) » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:32 pm

Post by Kison »

At the bottom of a thread, you will now see a link next to the isolation form that looks like this:
[ + ]

If you click on that, you will be able to select a second person to view in isolation.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #60 (isolation #4) » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:17 am

Post by Kison »

That is fixed now.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #77 (isolation #5) » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:54 am

Post by Kison »

How useful would allowing isolation for more than 2 posters be. As Flay said, the way it is coded right now makes it ugly to add more to this; if we go any above 2 I am going to rewrite it completely. I don't mind doing that, if people will actually use it.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #104 (isolation #6) » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:02 pm

Post by Kison »

The wiki will be going offline while I upgrade it.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #105 (isolation #7) » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:06 pm

Post by Kison »

The wiki is accessible again. Registration has been disabled, and you can(and must) now log in with your forum credentials. If you used a wiki username different from your board username, you're probably screwed.

If your forum username contains characters that will not log in to the wiki, let me know.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #107 (isolation #8) » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:17 pm

Post by Kison »

In other words you're even less special than before?

---

Not sure why that is happening, but I will take a look.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #150 (isolation #9) » Sun May 06, 2012 11:47 am

Post by Kison »

Would it comfort you to know that ReaperCharlie was the most recent person to attempt a dark skin?

Also: You can view 3 players in isolation as of last night. Thanks to Captain Corporal & Chamber for the contribution.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #169 (isolation #10) » Mon May 07, 2012 9:29 am

Post by Kison »

In post 164, TheButtonmen wrote:
In post 150, Kison wrote:Also: You can view 3 players in isolation as of last night. Thanks to Captain Corporal & Chamber for the contribution.

:(

scuMobile continues to be the unloved bastard child of MS I see.

Yeah I basically never touch that skin. I can add support for isolation, though.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #370 (isolation #11) » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:49 pm

Post by Kison »

Hello hello. Let's revive this long dead thread to its former glory. We will global this for a day or two after new changes are made to the site.

Two new changes have been made as of 30 minutes ago:

• Fixed an issue in Site Chat where the chat windows would not always scroll all the way down on page load. This was the result of avatars in the window, which load after the window is populated and thus change the position of the bottom of the window. We will now reposition the scrollbar after each of the initial avatars have loaded.
  • Moderators who have permission to lock a topic will now be able to set an
    autolock date and time
    by editing the first post of the topic.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Once an autolock time has been set, you can edit the first post again to view the remaining time until the lock occurs. You can clear an existing autolock schedule by completely clearing the input.

Other than that, I've had several people reach out to me lately with an interest in contributing on the coding/design front, so I'll be around to help out with things here and there. If you are also interested, shoot both Thesp & me a PM.

A few small items up on deck:
- Fix performance issues with site chat, primarily on page load.
- Fix avatar abuse in site chat.
- Disable GIF animation in site chat avatars.
- Other ideas? Suggest them!
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #382 (isolation #12) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:41 am

Post by Kison »

In post 373, Plotinus wrote:I checked some threads that I started to see if the autolock was live yet, and the autolock option is available for a mafia discussion thread that I started, but not for the game that I'm modding in Road to Rome or any Private Topics that I've started.

Good catch. I'll have a fix for this tonight. Game moderators & private topics use some workarounds to enable locking confined to specific threads in their forum.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #384 (isolation #13) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:49 pm

Post by Kison »

That issue has been fixed... Private Topic & Mafia moderators should now be able to use the autolocking feature.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #391 (isolation #14) » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:45 pm

Post by Kison »

Auto lock will work on all skins.

Auto unlock isn't on my radar but it's certainly possible that it will be added at some point.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #397 (isolation #15) » Tue May 24, 2016 9:34 am

Post by Kison »

Sup.

New changes:
  • Hovering over the V/LA ribbon in a topic will now display the return time of the user in the format:
    Tuesday, May 24 2016

• Thin avatars will have their height constrained to 40 pixels in site chat. This resolves the issue where thin avatars would stretch absurdly high.
  • Two changes to help alleviate performance issues with site chat when navigating across the site:
    • Only up to 30 messages will autoload per page load. You can still load more by scrolling to the top of the window and hitting "Load More Messages."
    • Some enhanced coding is in place to improve the load speed of messages. Should be several times faster than the old method.
  • If a user has a custom username color on the board, their name will now show up with that color in site chat.
  • The "ISO" link displayed at the top of every post will now encode the brackets "[]" so the URL can be pasted into a post without breaking. See .
  • The "Join Room" link in the "Rooms" tab in site chat will now be pushed to the far right in mafBlack, similar to other skins.
Upcoming projects in no particular order:
  • Post Masking: Tired of switching accounts and posting as the wrong alt? The goal of this project is to allow you to pick a confirmed alt to post as in a thread while signed into your main account.
  • Automated Signups: This project has been kicked around for years and worked on by many people. Let's get it out the door.
  • Bookmark Folders: Seems like people want them.
  • Site chat enhancements:
    • Configurable settings such as custom message format, custom notification triggers & methods.
    • Fixing issues that occur when there are too many windows to fit in the width of the page.
    • Forcing animated avatars to display their first frame only, without any animation.
    • Fixing the crappy way the "ROOMS" tab resyncs itself(it auto expands any closed rooms in the list).
  • Some others being discussed like new mobile skin, new web pages, analytics, party app, etc.
Use this thread to yell about anything not working properly or to add suggestions of your own.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #413 (isolation #16) » Tue May 24, 2016 4:02 pm

Post by Kison »

In post 408, Thestatusquo wrote: I think the colored Usernames are very bad user experience. In chat, you want to draw the users attention to the message that they are going to read, differences in color for the user names instead draw the users attention to the username itself and not the message. This is ultimately very distracting to me. Though I get the idea behind the change I think the implementation ultimately leads to a much worse design and makes chat more difficult to follow as its intended because the different colors make it harder to focus on the messages.
It may make more sense to limit it to the user list. For the channel windows we can probably get rid of it, or at the very least let people disable it. I agree it's not really necessary there.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #414 (isolation #17) » Tue May 24, 2016 4:05 pm

Post by Kison »

In post 411, SleepyKrew wrote:Kison did the work let Kison be read in chat (he's the man).
I barely use site chat or even this site so I don't really want anything.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #439 (isolation #18) » Mon May 30, 2016 9:25 am

Post by Kison »

In post 429, Ether wrote:Loading more messages seems to just loop through the same few messages.
If you hard refresh, that issue will be fixed.

As for alts/hydra, the plan is eventually to allow users to manage the associations themselves after registration has occurred.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #456 (isolation #19) » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:11 pm

Post by Kison »

New Changes:
  • SITE CHAT:
    • The "SETTINGS" tab has been made more useful:
    • You can now choose to display messages in compact view. This will remove the avatar on the left and display everything on a single line. This view is much friendlier for copy & pasting as well(previous copy/paste would put a single message on three lines).
    • You can choose to disable animated avatars. If you select this option, animated avatars will be frozen on their first frame. This goes into effect the next time you reload a page.
    • You can now customize your message timestamps. The default format(if the timestamp input is left blank), is
      HH:mm
      . See for details on possible formatting. This goes into effect the next time you reload a page.
    • Previously, if someone initiated a conversation with you, the input in the window would automatically focus, resulting in the possibility of accidental messages being sent. The input for a newly created window will no longer focus if you did not initiate the window's creation.
    • Site Chat moderators can now immediately ban and unban users(there was a delay before).
  • FORUM:
    • Choosing to mark forums/subforums/topics as read will now prompt you with a confirmation page, preventing accidentally initiating the action.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #459 (isolation #20) » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:19 pm

Post by Kison »

In post 457, vonflare wrote:but kison your avatar will look so weird in sitechat
I know, the only reason I changed it back to this was to test this feature, might be time to change it up again.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #470 (isolation #21) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:17 am

Post by Kison »

What browser / OS are you using, what program are you pasting to?
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #472 (isolation #22) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:51 pm

Post by Kison »

Thanks, I see the problem, will fix.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #474 (isolation #23) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:28 pm

Post by Kison »

Well, several people suggested & supported it and , but like anything controversial we can make the presence of the confirmation screen a toggled option in the User Control Panel.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #477 (isolation #24) » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:18 pm

Post by Kison »

In post 475, Oman wrote:Will the toggle have a confirmation screen?
:shifty:
In post 476, xyzzy wrote:I have the site chat timestamps set as H:m:S right now, and when the number of minutes or seconds is less than 10, it displays just a single digit, so, for instance, if the current time is 13:04:06, it displays it as 13:4:6, which obviously isn't preferable; is there any way to make it display those zeroes there correctly?
The format depends not just on which characters you put into the format, but how many. You probably want something like
HH:mm:ss
, which is what I use. Also, uppercase
S
is for
fractional seconds
while lowercase
s
is for seconds.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #479 (isolation #25) » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:26 pm

Post by Kison »

New Changes:
  • SITE CHAT:
    • You can now ignore users in the SETTINGS tab. Type their name into the new input and hit enter/return. All users you are ignoring will be displayed right below the input with an X to the right of their name, which, if clicked, will cause you to stop ignoring them. Ignoring users will prevent you from seeing any messages sent by them. Yeah yeah, you can ignore yourself.
    • Fixed a bug in Firefox that caused a newline to be included between the username and colon when copying messages in compact view.
    • The activity icon next to each user in the USERS and ROOMS tab has been fixed.
    • If you expand or collapse a room in the ROOMS tab, it will remain that way even when the list refreshes.
  • FORUM:
    • Searching by topics will no longer throw an error.
The chat server has been misbehaving lately and freezing up quite frequently. I will be fixing the root cause of that... despite not knowing what that is...
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #493 (isolation #26) » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:33 pm

Post by Kison »

Hello!

Before we get started, let's welcome to the coding team! He's a relatively new member but has shown to be capable in the art of getting things done, and we all like that, right? :) Don't be too surprised if you see him writing some of these update posts in the future.

New changes made since last Thursday:

• FORUM:
    • Hate the new confirmation page when marking forums/topics/subforums as read? Loathe no more! You can now bypass the option in your . Please thank
      ConnorJC
      for making this change! You can see a screen shot of it .
    • In your , you can now add your Skype, Facebook, and Twitter handles. New icons have been made which should appear in the footer of all your posts and private messages. It will also display in your profile.
  • SITE CHAT:
    • Fixed the bug causing an extra forward slash to be added when clicking on profile URLs in site chat.
    • Users will now be listed in alphabetical order in the ROOMS tab.
    • If you have Site Chat enabled, you will now see a link on users' forum profiles, "
      Site chat: Send message
      ". If clicked, this will open a new conversation with that user. Previously it was extremely difficult to do this if the user was not online.
    • Want to go rogue? Go invisible by selecting the
      Hide Online Status
      option in the SETTINGS tab. This will remove you from the ROOMS and USERS lists. Site chat moderators and administrators will still be able to see you sneaky hidden users, however.
We've also done a lot of work this week to address the site chat stability issues. We'll continue to keep an eye on it.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #507 (isolation #27) » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:28 pm

Post by Kison »

I think you're thinking about forum ignores. I was referring to ignores in the on-site chat.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #509 (isolation #28) » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:37 pm

Post by Kison »

A couple small updates. Some of these have actually been up for a few weeks but are only now being announced. Also, has stepped in to help out and has already begun tackling several tasks, so please welcome him!
  • FORUM:
    • Attempting to grant users with certain characters in their username(ex. user ) to a private topic will now work. for more on the original issue. Please thank for this fix!
    • Anyone with editing access to a private topic will now be able to add topic moderators to the thread. You can do this by editing the first post of the topic; you should see a second form right below where you add regular users to the topic. These topic moderators will have the ability to edit posts and lock & unlock the topic. Please thank for this feature!
    • If your access to a private topic has been revoked, it will no longer appear under Bookmarks or Subscriptions.
I've had a few others reach out offering to help out, so you might be seeing their names pop up here in the future. :)
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #525 (isolation #29) » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:36 am

Post by Kison »

• SITE CHAT:
    • There's a new option in the Settings tab to disable/enable smilies.
    • If smilies are enabled, their text equivalent will be converted to a graphic in the chat windows. They should follow the same format & use the same graphics as the forums.
Please thank for making these changes!

I'll also take the opportunity to let people know that we're planning to switch the forum over to HTTPS. You may have noticed that the main site & the wiki already are switched over. To do the same with the forum, however, is requiring us to host a bunch of insecure images (mostly using the img BBCode) ourselves, and modifying the affected posts & private messages to link to the new, secure image. Once the switch happens, if you try to link to a site that does not support HTTPS, your image will not appear. Sites like imgur which allow both http & https should be fine.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #539 (isolation #30) » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:04 am

Post by Kison »

Some more changes!
  • SITE CHAT:
    • The user list should now be removing users who have been disconnected for a period of time.
    • The ;) and :oops: smilies should now work.
    • There is now a status icon to on the left side of user conversation windows. Green: online & active, yellow: online & idle, grey: offline or invisible.
Please thank for making these changes!
McMenno wrote:sitechat doesn't seem to work in https
I haven't set it up yet. Hoping to get to it in the next few days.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #541 (isolation #31) » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:12 pm

Post by Kison »

It's on a different port(4241). You're not the first to have that problem though so we will probably move it to 443(the port for HTTPS) when we switch the board over.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #553 (isolation #32) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:37 am

Post by Kison »

Yeah, so this morning I set site chat up to work with HTTPS, which means users now connect to it through the web server (instead of connecting directly to the chat server). We suspect that this + increased traffic due to marathon games pushed the web server over its limit as configured. We tweaked some settings and things seem to be much better, but we'll keep an eye on it & see if we can improve things further.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #555 (isolation #33) » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:21 am

Post by Kison »

SITE CHAT

- You can now customize how the user lists are sorted. You can now choose to sort either by
usernames
or
activity
in your SETTINGS tab. Sorting by usernames will sort users alphabetically while activity will sort by active users first, then idle users second. Please thank for making this update.

- Custom username colors will now show up in private chat tabs. These tabs have also been restyled slightly. Please thank for making this update.

- Issues with the ;) smiley have been resolved. Please thank for making this update.

FORUM

- The "Scum Chat" link at the bottom of the page has been removed.

- A new "Turn on/off chat" link has been added to the top left of the board. This is to help users who either didn't know that site chat existed or didn't know how to turn it on. The location of this link may move in the future.

- Newly registered users will have chat enabled by default. They can of course turn it off.

MAIN SITE

- The home page has been reworked slightly to be optimized on mobile. We're planning to make some more extensive updates to the main site shortly.

Spoiler: Screen Shots

Other updates:

- has offered to help out with some coding. We're excited to have him on board.

- I'm planning to upgrade the Wiki tonight. We are currently on version 1.24.1 of MediaWiki. The upgrade will bring us up to 1.28.0. Downtime should be minimal.

- is helping to work on a new and improved guide for new users, which we hope to put on the main site.

- , , & have been helping with SEO. We're hoping to make some improvements to our search rankings!

Please use this thread for any questions, comments and/or tomato throwing.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #566 (isolation #34) » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:33 am

Post by Kison »

I've moved it to the left of "View your posts" for the time being.

Moving to the top right needs icons to be made for each skin, but I agree that's the best spot.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #588 (isolation #35) » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:12 pm

Post by Kison »

Probably you're on a phone. We hide chat from it because it's not very good. I'll see if I can hide the link as well.

It's my plan eventually to make a standalone page for chat that works nicely on mobile(or an app, we'll see).

Return to “News”