Rule Addition Regarding Hiding Identity from Staff

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
Clumsy
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #63 (isolation #0) » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:27 am

Post by Clumsy »

On the topic of alts, don't they get the same advantage that's in question here?
In post 16, Accountant wrote:Wouldn't it provide the mod an unfair advantage in meta terms? Say Bob makes an alt, Albert. Bob has a specific and distinctive tell that he only does as scum, but he doesn't mind doing it as Albert because nobody knows it's him. One day, a staff member discovers his identity as part of their duties and now knows Albert is Bob, which gives them a game advantage.
Bob has played with Charlie in many games. Charlie also has a tell, but isn't using an alt. Bob is playing as Albert this game. Now, Bob has the game advantage, as Bob knows Charlie, but Charlie does not know Albert.

Going a step further, Bob might know half of this game's player list. If Albert is truly secret, the purpose of this theoretical alt, now Bob has advantage on half the player list. If this is okay, then why isn't it okay for the moderation team to have all alts known just for official capacity?

I get that alts are used for different reasons, one of those being to avoid meta, but it confers it's own game advantages. For instance, if Thor665 made same strange, super noob mistake, someone would call him out on it. But what about Yarn97, Thorn's (made up just now) alt? Is Yarn new? He could certainly pretend to be, while he watches Titus and UTL play, knowing how they play. How is this not analagous to the subject at hand? If alts are okay, then this moderator duty tool FOR MODERATION should be a non-issue.

all names were picked out of a hat
Current game: Witch Trials Mafia, in Mini Theme Queue. 2/6 Pre-ins.

Next D&D game: In design stage.
Clumsy
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #69 (isolation #1) » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:50 am

Post by Clumsy »

In post 67, Lady Lambdadelta wrote:
In post 66, Glork wrote:Secret alts themselves are WAY bigger theoretical problem than forum mods having knowledge of secret alts.

People play differently when I'm in a game. If I wanted to gain an unfair advantage, I'd play under a secret alt and have a distinct advantage over players who don't know they have to play around Glork.

I sort of kind of get what LLD is saying, but I feel as though she's missing the forest for the trees if she wants to discuss the fairness of (secret) alts in mafia games.
I'm not entirely sure I buy it?

Like yes, there are advantages to the loss of your burden of proficiency, but isn't losing that same fame isn't own disadvantage? New players are often disregarded, and secret alts have a stigma against them.

I don't think secret alts gain the advantage you're thinking of, because if general if someone is public about saying "I'm an alt but I won't tell you of who" then I just lynch them?

Also, shifting backwards a moment: If secret alts are such an issue, what about hydras with non labelled heads?

If secret alts don't have the advantage coming from people not knowing who it is, then how is it advantageous for a moderator to know the main? Either there is advantage to be had and the mod knowing negates that/provides advantage, or it's neutral. If you really have a tell that obvious, you should focus on improving, not hiding until people link the tell again. If you're alting because you want to try different playstyles, you shouldn't have too much of an issue. If you alt because people don't like you, the issue isn't what is being discussed here.

Also, general "you"s here.

Clumsy
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #70 (isolation #2) » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:59 am

Post by Clumsy »

What I mean is, let's say Bob has his tell. Playing as "Bob" would be our set neutral or control.

Bob=0

If Bob plays as Albert, it gives him an advantage in the game because people won't know his tell.

Bob + Albert = 2

A mod who knows the alt will know that it's Bob.

Mod = (the advantage of)Albert

Bob + Albert - Mod = 0

So, since both Albert and Mod are greater than 0, each confers an advantage. If you think Albert doesn't give an advantage (or as much of one), Mod doesn't confer much advantage, because it is, in essence, a nullifier.

Clumsy
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Clumsy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #82 (isolation #3) » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:13 am

Post by Clumsy »

I could see it that way too. But either way, the advantage of the moderator knowing the alt is no greater than the advantage (or loss of disadvantage) of the alt in the first place. For the record, I don't want alts outlawed. I just think that the issue brought forth in this thread is less than or equal to what already exists with alts.

Return to “News”