new fire emblem fuck yeah.

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:14 am

Post by Vi »

The two Malig Knight users are Camilla and Elise, and even then, only if you make the magic that is Wyvern Elise happen (Conquest only; in Revelation just make her a Strategist at 10 and it's silly how viable she is). Camilla gets better axes with Wyvern Lord but her Mag is still passable and 8-Mov flying Mjolnir is just one of many services the god-cow has to offer.

Ophelia as Malig Knight is pretty wasted. Something like 25 Mag/25 Spd + Vantage + Trample at max level doesn't cut it for eight move flying magic with E Axes. I guess if you set up Corrin to be a Malig Knight and then marry Odin you can get a good Chosen Evil Dragon Heroine? but if you're building Corrin to go Malig you're already deep into playing around for lulz.

Yeah Silas's Spd can fall off hard lategame (mmm 50% growth deviations), so I guess you're supposed to replace him with Sophie later on. By that time you have better units anyway, though, so it's not worth it. Also worth pointing out that in Rev Silas is basically an armor knight with 8 Mov.

True story: Corrin's Res is going to be trash pretty much all the time. Even if you pick Calm at setup their Res is only ever going to be mediocre. TBH I like how Corrin is balanced in this game; if they didn't have all of their protagonist toys and had to compete on stats and class alone they would be Roy-tier bad.

IDK I feel like posting long rambly writeups no one will read about what I think of all the FE characters. If I get really, really bored, etc.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:45 am

Post by Andrius »

I used neither of them in Rev. By the time they arrived I had Sakura and Felicia for staffbot duty and that was sufficient. Im sure I would if I played Conquest, out of necessity, but thats the reason I don't.

Ophelia was just a thought. I basically got her to see her level and was like welcome to the bench.

Silas and Kagerou were almost always terrible later on. Even their Sophie was bad. Meanwhile Ive never had a bad Kiragi. Optimism for the win?

Yeah Andrius in Awakening had the lowest MDef since FE4 where you could literally have zero MDef. Luckily Maribelle saved our children. I found Fates/Andrius to be better at MDef.

What do you think of the Spear Master/Basara classes? Because I love them and I reclass almost everyone into them at some point. Rend Heaven is amazing and I had a fling with Quixotic until I realized Hoshidan Prince was as good as it without the enemy buff.

Oh and the attack animations are top. Sometimes over the top, yes, but so satisfying to watch.

Butlers are also great too. Dancing butler attacks are great.
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:27 am

Post by Vi »

On phone so full response will be a bit.

Spear Master is decent. I feel like enemy SMs are the most difficult enemies in the game, behind maybe Ninja. Seal Defense is awesome in the early game, and if you want to hold a line the two Seal skills plus Guard Naginata is pretty tough to beat. On offense it kind of peters out by the end because you're basically not gonna see Lancefaire without lots of grinding. Also, TBH Oboro is mediocre and Shiro exists well after it matters, so etc.

Basara exists so all kinds of unlikely people can get Rend Heaven. Other than that pretty much no one wants it. Good magic > good weapons > being bad at either of them.

The real use for Quixotic is in getting mixed with Hoshidan Unity and the three activated Skills of your choice on a Str or Skl Corrin. Regular hits against enemies from Corrin become about as common as misses from other units.

Hoshido Noble looks fabulous and this is a strong point in favor of getting like three of them on your team.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:38 am

Post by Andrius »

Magic is a personal hit or miss for me.
I didn't like the Hoshidan version of magic so I didn't have a single magic user. Which made certain levels very difficult but at least the FLAME DAGGER CANNOT BREAK.
Leo died super early in my Rev playthrough so magic never happened for me.

Oboro definitely has her bad days but she's been great more often than not. Especially when Silas/Kagerou/Kaze are underwhelming most of the time. Hinoka is another hard one to screw up but I always reclass her to Spear Master to get a bit of a boost to her strength growth because Peg Knight doesn't cut it.

Quixotic/Hoshidan Unity is what I ran for awhile but Quixotic was getting me killed by random Berserkers - focusing on Speed is mitigated by Quixotic buffing enemies so I said farewell to Quixotic.

I run a Skill Boon on Corrin and Robin. Armsthrift is so good in the first game Skill helps Sol and Luna. It helps tremendously since you can push Skill over 40 easily with certain classes and SkillBoon + Hoshidan Unity + Quixotic made for an interesting LETHALITY build which was fun. As a butler. Which is doubly fun.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:43 am

Post by Andrius »

For the record I would probably watch a Thracia 776 lets play if you made it Flum.
And/or heckle you while you play it if that's an option.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:31 am

Post by Vi »

In post 78, Andrius wrote:I didn't like the Hoshidan version of magic so I didn't have a single magic user. Which made certain levels very difficult but at least the FLAME DAGGER CANNOT BREAK.
The only good Hoshidan mages are kids so yeah. I guess you can use Orochi but she's really high on a long list of people who absolutely do not want to see Enemy Phase combat.

You didn't use Saizo? Well thar's yer problem, you picked the wrong ninja to bench.
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:20 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

If i do get a game, which one should i get?
Just speaking hypothetically. No plans as of right now
I have a gamecube and a ds of the non 3d variety!
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:49 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 81, Errantparabola wrote:I have a gamecube and a ds of the non 3d variety!
Path of Radiance (GameCube). Do it do it do it.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Post by Vi »

In unrelated news I'm listening to the Fates soundtrack and I got to Alight and I'm really close to saying "who cares whether Awakening or Fates is better, I'LL TAKE BOTH".
Fates really went the extra mile for the in- and out-of-battle arranges.
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:56 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

holy crap, why is this game so expensive
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:00 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 84, Errantparabola wrote:holy crap, why is this game so expensive
isn't the standard like $50 for GCN g--
<does a search and sees it offered for $229>

. . . . . . . . . . I have no words.

Since the GameCube relies on memory cards, there shouldn't be any issue with getting it used whenever you find it.

EDIT: Apparently this game was released close to the end of the GameCube's life, and only in limited quantities because Nintendo has such faith in its franchises, and people have come to like the game now so there's demand for it.
Last edited by Vi on Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:01 pm

Post by Fluminator »

Because it's a good game.
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:03 pm

Post by Fluminator »

Honestly, one the main reasons I never got it for around literally 8 years was I could never find it.
I eventually caved and dolphined it.
But yeah, if you own a hard copy, it's a pretty rare thing you got and worth a lot now lol.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:05 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 87, Fluminator wrote:Honestly, one the main reasons I never got it for around literally 8 years was I could never find it.
I eventually caved and dolphined it.
But yeah, if you own a hard copy, it's a pretty rare thing you got and worth a lot now lol.
Has the Dolphin reached a point where it can emulate it well? It's been a while, but when I last checked, etc.

Also *eyes tub of games off in the corner of the room*
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:18 pm

Post by Fluminator »

PoR is decent and smooth enough in the bit I checked. The music not really, but I usually don't have music playing since I'm listening to other things. (I gave the emulator to my sister and she said it was too laggy so it might be how strong of a computer you have too)
RD seemed kind of bad though.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:22 pm

Post by Vi »

The solution to everyone's problems is for people to come visit me. To spend 30 hours playing video games.

I guess me doing the visiting works about as well.

(Radiant Dawn was going for $120 fwiw, like come on now why did you go to such effort to make these games and then not sell them)
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:29 pm

Post by Fluminator »

They released Thracia on the SNES (one of the last games released on it) when the N64 was deep in its lifespan. They really struggled on the timing of games for the longest time.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:38 pm

Post by Andrius »

In post 81, Errantparabola wrote:If i do get a game, which one should i get?
Just speaking hypothetically. No plans as of right now
I have a gamecube and a ds of the non 3d variety!
I played Awakening and Fates on the non-3DS (2DS?)

I'd consider mailing you my copy of the Gamecube game.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:44 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

In post 90, Vi wrote:The solution to everyone's problems is for people to come visit me. To spend 30 hours playing video games.

(Radiant Dawn was going for $120 fwiw, like come on now why did you go to such effort to make these games and then not sell them)
Where are you?
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:47 pm

Post by Andrius »

In post 90, Vi wrote:The solution to everyone's problems is for people to come visit me. To spend 30 hours playing video games.

I can totally see this meet going down:

EP: Which Fire Emblem do I start with?
Vi: Awakening. Or PoR.
Andy: 7 or 9.
Flum: Thracia 776
Vi: Actually I'd love to see 776 because of the capture mechanic.
EP: Uhhh shit guys Oscar just died what do I do?
Vi: Restart. No wait, is Titania still alive?
EP: Yes.
Vi: Use her.
Andy: Wait for Crimean Royal Knight Fifth Platoon Captain Kieran to save your bacon.
Marcia: bacon and muffins and waffles
Flum: Play Thracia 776. We have capture mechanics and Staves can miss!
Ankamius: So about Fates...
RC: Awakening is better.
Vi: Actually--
Andy: FE 4 was the best generations game. New kids are terrible. Except Morgan and Brady.
Vi: Your waifu is trash.
RC: Music in Fates was good at least.
Vi: Agreed.
EP: So Soren just died.
Andy: Its ok you'll get Bastian later.
Vi: SOREN IS SUPERIOR TO BASTIAN.
Ankamius: *enters Chapter 10 of Awakening*
Vi/Andy/RC: MOMENT OF SILENCE FOR THE BEST MUSIC.
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:51 pm

Post by Fluminator »

Haha. Although really the game they should play first is actually Fire Emblem 8.
We should just all play through the games starting from 1 to 14 or whatever number we're at. (skipping Shadow Dragon)
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:53 pm

Post by Andrius »

The only game I'd want to play is FE4.
I am more than willing to help/heckle someone playing another game though.
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:05 pm

Post by Fluminator »

Maybe I'll do an ironman run on Fire Emblem 5 for you guys where I'll let you pick the party later on. I won't make it to the end before losing, but I'll see how far I make it. XD
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:09 pm

Post by Andrius »

I think the first thing I remember liking about the game was the fact that we actually started the game with something other than SWORD USERS.
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:17 pm

Post by Fluminator »

OK. I feel like challenging myself. Coming soon to a mafia forum near you:
Fire Emblem 5 Thracia 766

Fire Emblem 5 is probably one of the most obscure Fire Emblem games out there, and least played. And for good reason.
It was released in 1999 through a special Nintendo Special flash cartridge which was some weird system where you could get games put on the ram at a store. Usually it was used so you could get games cheaper and not need to get cartridges, but in Thracia's case it was only released through this system (until it eventually came out on cartridge next year). However, the fact that it was released on the SNES and through a ram cartridge system no one used in 1999, when the N64 had been in business for over 3 years (The Gamecube was released in Nov 2001) made it not a very popular game at release.
Spoiler: How does this even work

It was the last game of the Shouzou Kaga era before he left Nintendo, and took place in the Jugdral universe (the one where FE 4 and 5 take place in). However, this game is actually a midquel of Fire Emblem 4 Genealogy of the Holy War. There is a time skip between Chapters 5 and 6 in Fire Emblem Genealogy where it takes place. (Near the end of the skip, and eventually joining up with events that take place in that game until chapter 7)
Spoiler: FE4, the game with very long chapters

A side of effect of this makes the story in Fire Emblem 5 not very interesting on it's own, and even with the knowledge of the FE4 story, it's still only decent and just gives a different point of view of the story from one of the characters in FE4. A bunch of the villains seen are never defeated or even fought in FE5. They introduce a few new villains in 5 but they aren't that noteworthy.
Furthermore, there are no support conversations in this game making the character development and growth not really a thing which is one of the main points to a modern Fire Emblem game. In the limited time the characters are in the spotlight, they are usually very interesting however, but it just pains me to have no support conversations.
Spoiler: I literally don't remember this character's name

Also, the game is broken. There are definitely signs of the game being rushed and not polished/fine tuned, and lots of annoying things make the game a lot more harder than it should be. It's not really a 'fair' difficulty which is why so many people are rage induced trying to play it.
Finally, the translation patch to English is unfinished and the menus are gibberish making the game harder and even more annoying.
Spoiler: What does any of this mean

So to summarize, it's a broken, rushed game that's intensely hard (probably by accident) and doesn't really have characters or a story that is interesting or makes sense without playing Fire Emblem 4 and it has no good translation patch. Thus, it's quite easy to see why the game is not the most popular in the series.
So why am I going to play through it?
Because I hate myself

Because it's got some very interesting map designs, and there is probably no FE game that has such tactical and strategic emphasis. There are some really interesting maps and gameplay gimmicks. I really wish they'd update this game, fix the flaws, add support conversations, and this would be a fantastic game.

So I've never posted a playthrough before and I have no idea how this will work. I'll be doing ironman style which means if a character gets killed, they are dead for good and I am not allowed to restart. This makes it possible (and quite probable) I put myself in a situation I can't win. In which case, too bad for the playthrough and it will be finished early. I could see this ending on chapter 4. This is a very very bad idea but yolo.

Return to “The Arcade”