new fire emblem fuck yeah.

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:22 pm

Post by Fluminator »

Also, it will probably be on a different thread.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:58 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 95, Fluminator wrote:We should just all play through the games starting from 1 to 14 or whatever number we're at. (skipping Shadow Dragon)
<takes Warp Zone to FE7>

Also that guy's name is Finn, aka Brave Lance Horse Guy.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:34 pm

Post by Vi »

yep I'm bored

Spoiler: FE:Revelation tier list - Lunatic efficiency no-grind no-DLC
God Tier

Reina
Camilla
Jakob

High Tier

Azura
Ryoma
Corrin

Mid Tier

Fuga
Xander
Takumi
Shura

I guess they're viable?

Leo
Silas
Hinoka
Felicia
Elise

Not completely useless

Rinkah (for her pair-up bonuses)
Hayato
Subaki
Gunter

atleastyoutried.jpg

everyone else

Jakob and Felicia are assumed to be starting servants, and are assumed to get the first Heart Seal.
note that I don't fully understand the concept of Shelter so that may change things maybe

Spoiler: FE:Birthright tier list, Lunatic efficiency no-grind no-DLC
Shellfish EXP Magnet:

Ryoma

Top Tier

Corrin
Azura (no Heart Seal)

Upper High Tier:

Hinoka
Jakob (with Heart Seal)
Silas
Saizo
Scarlet

Lower High Tier:

Takumi
Rinkah
Kaze
Reina
Azama (with Heart Seal)
Kagero
Asugi
Kiragi
Mitama
Rhajat

Upper Mid Tier:

Shiro
Oboro
Caeldori
Shigure
Yukimura
Hisame
Hana
Sophie
Kana

Lower Mid Tier:

Subaki
Felicia (with Heart Seal)
Jakob (no Heart Seal)
Izana
Shura
Nichol

Upper Low Tier:

Kaden
Azura (with Heart Seal)
Orochi
Midori
Tarba
Selkie

Lower Low Tier:

Sakura (with Heart Seal)
Felicia (no Heart Seal)
Setsuna
Dwyer
Daniela
Mozu (with Heart Seal)

Bottom Tier:

Sakura (no Heart Seal)
Candace
Funke
Hinata
Azama (no Heart Seal)
Hayato
Daichi
Mozu (no Heart Seal)

Jakob and Felicia are considered to be your starting servants; Jakob Ch. 15 is bottom tier and Felicia Ch. 15 is lower low tier.
I know when I last tried to sort this out I kept finding ways that the logic made no sense, so this probably shouldn't be considered authoritative.
One way I know the logic doesn't quite work is that it doesn't assume that nothing matters after Ryoma joins, which is the only reason Scarlet is so high and the kids are anywhere above a "lol who cares" tier at the bottom.

Come at me, baker.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:50 pm

Post by Andrius »

In post 102, Vi wrote:Come at me, baker.
The original literally said "come at me" so I modified it slightly.
Will get to this soon.
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:59 pm

Post by Andrius »

I've played through Revalations once so bear with me and I have no idea what most of the Conquest-ers are like since by the time they arrived they were terrible/underlevelled/etc.
And my original stance on Conquest stands.

God-tier REINA?
What?
I mean she was better-than-decent in Birthright but GOD-TIER?

I benched Camilla so I have no commentary.
Jakob is one of my healbots.

[Azura, Ryoma, Corrin] makes complete sense.

Fuga I never used because he shows up late and I never bothered to upgrade the Hot Springs until the end since it serves no utility. Xander has a terrible time with SPEED but yeah he's great. Takumi is awesome. Shura is as well.
I guess they're viable?
Leo
Silas
Hinoka
Felicia
Elise
Leo died, like, the level I got him in. So nothing for you here.
Silas always has issues with SPEED and is thus generally underwhelming for me.
Hinoka always good so long as I change her into Spear Fighter for some strength.
Felicia is a healbot when she's not my wife.
Elise I never use because I have enough Hoshidan healbots.

Never used Hayato b/c magic.
Rinkah I want to use but turns out badly.
Gunter WHAT. Never use because spoilers zzz.
Subaki, I find, desperately needs strength. Made a good Lodelord or whatever class that's called though.

BIRTHRIGHT later since I actually know it p. well.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:48 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 104, Andrius wrote:God-tier REINA?
What?
I mean she was better-than-decent in Birthright but GOD-TIER?
*comes in early and stronger than the enemies that are terrorizing the rest of your army
*one-rounds multiple bosses for Turn 1 clears
*doesn't stop being a bauss who snipes things from up to 10 spaces away, doubling to kill, until the end of the game

Reina is art. Specifically, the kind of art that depicts just how bad a unit can be and still be god-tier.

"I guess they're viable?" is the tier for endgame filler. Like Hinoka isn't ever good; she just flies and can be mediocre chip damage.
"Not completely useless" is the tier for people who have niche uses early on that usually have little to do with combat. Like Hayato is mentioned because he's the only filler unit with good 2-range in the silly snow level.

That said, I only played Revelation once too, and it was a blind low-turn no-grind no-DLC run. If any of those four restrictions weren't there it probably would have been the polar opposite of fun.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:50 pm

Post by Andrius »

Spoiler: Birthright
Ryoma is actually too good.
Like, Xander is strong. Ryoma is too good.
Corrin is amazing, though I've only ever used +Skill -Res Corrin. So skill activations are amazing.
Azura reclassed? Yeah, she's probably that good. Well, maybe a tier lower because she is hurt by the No HP Growth Emblem thing like no other.
Upper High Tier:
Hinoka
Jakob (with Heart Seal)
Silas
Saizo
Scarlet
Well yeah, if we sit here with Heart Seals a ton of people become better.
Hinoka is great. Spear Master Hinoka is amazing.
Jakob is a staffbot since I'm always Male Corrin. But yeah, I can see reclassing him (which I don't do) suiting his strengths.
Silas is like a lesser Xander for me. Terrible speed.
Saizo is tricky. He's strong. But I keep using Kaze because there are
consequences
if you don't in Birthright. I keep going back to Kaze even though he sucks.
Oh,
Scarlet
. She's great. Ever since I discovered the joys of Spear Masters I reclass both her and Andrius until Spear Masters because they're amazing, have high skill caps (read: Corrin has +Skill) so they are amazing. If you use the DLC stuff, the 'Awakening' skill from Lodestar adds Crit to her, which she already loves because of
in Extremis
. Oh Scarlet. <3
Lower High Tier:
Takumi
Rinkah
Kaze
Reina
Azama (with Heart Seal)
Kagero
Asugi
Kiragi
Mitama
Rhajat
Am I just not patient enough with these people? I use Azama to get Mitama and then bench him. I know he's got a great personal skill but don't enjoy his supports.
Rinkah is another one where I've got her high-levelled in her base class but then been like 'what am I waiting for here'.

Takumi/Kiragi are amazing.
Mitama is good and that's not even counting healbot.

Overall I feel like Hoshido is NO HP/STR GROWTH EMBLEM and Conquest is NO SPD GROWTH EMBLEM. (Except Nyx but she has abysmal skill.)
Again, Reina shows up higher than I expected her to. Kinshi Knight so strong.

All my archers go through Kinshi Knight to get Air Superiority and the other thing. Azura as well. Supports go through here for Amaterasu.
Its a solid class and makes the Peg Knight one look bad.
Upper Mid Tier:
Shiro
Oboro
Caeldori
Shigure
Yukimura
Hisame
Hana
Sophie
Kana
I almost want to fite u over Oboro.
Oboro is great. And has strength.
How the crap does KAZE and RINKAH who are terrible get a tier on OBORO?
She can even make Takumi look terrible at times. (Note: Oboro as Kiragi's mother makes that trademark face in their C Supports together when he's trying to skip studying. I highly recommend it. That's some great stuff. No other mother compares because of her unique face in that one scene.)

Setsuna is more hit/miss than I think you give her credit for. Yeah, she's worse than Takumi. But she has some great growths. Insert trap pun here.

Sakura is a healbot until Mitama shows up or unless you really like Sakura.

Spoiler: Andrius' People That Matter Birthright Tier
WOW
Ryoma

OTP (aka wow)
Corrin
Scarlet

GREAT
Azura
Takumi
Oboro
Kiragi
Hinoka

GOOD
Felicia
Subaki
Kana
Silas
Shiro

pedit: Hello my name is Andrius and my word of the day is 'amazing'.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:52 pm

Post by Andrius »

In post 105, Vi wrote:Like Hinoka isn't ever good; she just flies and can be mediocre chip damage.
I've found that her problem is flying.
I give her a spear and she goes crazy.
And apparently marrying Silas makes him do better?
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:53 pm

Post by Andrius »

Totally agree that the children are pointless since none are tied to the plot (Lucina) and are out of the way entirely with some children (SHIRO) being near-impossible to recruit if you wait a long time because of level design.

Basically if the character does not show up in my tier list I don't use them much if/at all.
Exceptions are:
KANA (child ofc I recruit her)
Kaze (if I feel guilty
letting him die
that particular day)
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:21 am

Post by Vi »

In post 107, Andrius wrote:
In post 105, Vi wrote:Like Hinoka isn't ever good; she just flies and can be mediocre chip damage.
I've found that her problem is flying.
I give her a spear and she goes crazy.
And apparently marrying Silas makes him do better?
In Revelation? I guess Falco/Kinshi Silas would be a lot better later on since he gets Darting Blow.
But everyone who can fly in the second half of Rev very much wants to; that's where Fates hid all the terrain shenanigans.

Back when I was actively playing these games (six months ago) I put together a huge :nerd: report on it all. I kind of burned out by the time I finished Birthright, and I never used Nina so I stopped there, so don't really look at the Conquest stuff too hard because I know I need to redo Elise at the very least, but--take a look if you want to see what it's like.
Human Sequencer
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: all

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:26 am

Post by Human Sequencer »

it's been years since i've made it through a fire emblem game
i flaked out of awakening lunatic
i flaked out of conquest on my first playthrough

really i doubt i'll ever enjoy fire emblem as much as shadow dragon merciless or new mystery of the emblem, the ui in those games is perfectly aesthetic and so clean

gba games are fucking incredible too, haven't ever tried the ike games, should emulate sometime

have there been any notable fanhacks of the gba games in recent years?
nah
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:46 am

Post by Andrius »

THE GOOGLE DOC wrote: In Extremis is interesting on paper but she needs Vantage to really make use of it, which she doesn't have access to without marrying Corrin.
hehehe
Spiffeh
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Spiffeh
He/Him
Paragone
Paragone
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:52 am

Post by Spiffeh »

This is so weird I just started to replay PoR last night and I see this thread has doubled its size!

I'm on Ch. 8 which is the Defense chapter where Illyana can be recruited.

My Oscar is like level 11 and hasn't received ONE increase in strength. Also Soren just sucks for whatever reason. Luckily Ike and surprisingly Boyd are Gods and picking up their slack.

I'll try to keep you guys up to date!
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:07 am

Post by Vi »

In post 112, Spiffeh wrote:My Oscar is like level 11 and hasn't received ONE increase in strength. Also Soren just sucks for whatever reason.
WHEN RNG ATTACKS

Oscar is pretty much the poster child for getting stat-screwed (him and Eliwood). I don't think I've ever had a good one.

---

Hay Andrius. If we're going to talk about Fates, would you like to guinea-pig an experimental draft format? Random characters with random reclasses in Birthright Lunatic. Crack pairings with wacky kids. Hopefully an enjoyable brand of masochism, for any number of participating players.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:21 pm

Post by Andrius »

Ch 8 of PoR is one of my favorites. The defense missions (RD's 2-F and 3-5) are other favorites of mine

Uhhhhh, LUNATIC?
I've only beaten HARD.

I looked at my Fire Emblem games again and the only one I'd really want to play right now is Radiant Dawn.
Fates just isn't that good next to its kin.
I mean if FE4 were suddenly released in English on a console I owned (even VC) I'd play the crap out of it but at this point I have no interest in replaying any of the games.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:43 pm

Post by Vi »

Kana/Dwyer/Sophie/Midori/Shigure's paralogues use Revelation scaling so those are harder, but for everything else the difference between Hard and Lunatic in Birthright is like +3 HP on generic enemies and +5 HP/+3 Atk on bosses. Other than that I think Birthright throws a few more enemies in and a LOT more enemies when you trigger reinforcements. The major differences come starting in Ch. 23 when they start cramming in enemy density. Nonetheless, you should try it - I think you'll find it's not as intimidating as you're expecting. (Lunatic in Revelation is quite a bit harder because it's 100% stat inflation, and Lunatic in Conquest is MAXIMUM TROLLING.)

---

PoR Ch. 8 was one of the harder maps in the game IMO, because you don't have enough obvious defensive units to cover everything but you don't get a choice not to. If you're playing with restrictions it's pretty tough to KO the boss.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:48 pm

Post by Andrius »

Its not a matter of intimidating, its a matter of I don't care to play the game again. :/
KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:58 pm

Post by KittyMo »

In post 113, Vi wrote: If we're going to talk about Fates, would you like to guinea-pig an experimental draft format? Random characters with random reclasses in Birthright Lunatic. Crack pairings with wacky kids. Hopefully an enjoyable brand of masochism, for any number of participating players.
/in
Alt of Ariel | MafiaScum wiki volunteer contributor & sysop | Identity (Mish Mash) is back | Speakeasy Secret Santa

"plz don't swear" -- N
"Do people just not appreciate the good old wall of text anymore?" -- Cheery Dog
KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:05 pm

Post by KittyMo »

I've done hard mode runs of every route but keep getting bored halfway through when i try to replay any of them
Alt of Ariel | MafiaScum wiki volunteer contributor & sysop | Identity (Mish Mash) is back | Speakeasy Secret Santa

"plz don't swear" -- N
"Do people just not appreciate the good old wall of text anymore?" -- Cheery Dog
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:06 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

In post 115, Vi wrote:Kana/Dwyer/Sophie/Midori/Shigure's paralogues use Revelation scaling so those are harder, but for everything else the difference between Hard and Lunatic in Birthright is like +3 HP on generic enemies and +5 HP/+3 Atk on bosses. Other than that I think Birthright throws a few more enemies in and a LOT more enemies when you trigger reinforcements. The major differences come starting in Ch. 23 when they start cramming in enemy density. Nonetheless, you should try it - I think you'll find it's not as intimidating as you're expecting. (Lunatic in Revelation is quite a bit harder because it's 100% stat inflation, and Lunatic in Conquest is MAXIMUM TROLLING.)

---

PoR Ch. 8 was one of the harder maps in the game IMO, because you don't have enough obvious defensive units to cover everything but you don't get a choice not to. If you're playing with restrictions it's pretty tough to KO the boss.
How is Conquest lunatic? never tried it.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:21 am

Post by Vi »

In post 117, KittyMo wrote:
In post 113, Vi wrote: If we're going to talk about Fates, would you like to guinea-pig an experimental draft format? Random characters with random reclasses in Birthright Lunatic. Crack pairings with wacky kids. Hopefully an enjoyable brand of masochism, for any number of participating players.
/in
I ran out of time to make the post I wanted to make this morning, but--yay! We'll get started shortly. The game is for any number of players, so if anyone else wants in, etc.

@RadiantDawnbells: Conquest in general is the cheekiest FE game since 4, and Lunatic basically goes out of its way to thumb its nose at you. Enemy stats are with very few exceptions the same as on Hard - which were no joke anyway - but a lot of the difficulty comes from things that have nothing to do with stats. For instance in Ch. 7, whereas on Hard all the Faceless had Poison Strike and a few also had Grisly Wound, on Lunatic it's the reverse. The boss of Ch. 8 is a Nosferatu Sorcerer, and on Lunatic they gave him Vantage. Ch. 9 sees one of the Archers in the boss room holding a Shining Bow, and one of the reinforcements holds a Bolt Naginata, and both of them have 7 Mag purely to ensure that they hurt. It's like that the whole way.

It's still pretty manageable until Ch. 23, when the game stops playing around and starts punishing you for your hubris. Ch. 26 and Endgame are notoriously punishing if you aren't ready to deal with status staves, to such a degree that the most common strategy for Endgame (other than seeing it coming and doing significant preparation for a 1-turn clear) is to keep your boss-killer hidden while their escort hurdles the dead and dying on the way there.

I mean, I do have everything set up to do a Conquest draft the same way I've been talking about Birthright, but Lunatic's lategame is so brutal that the last bit, at least, would need to be shifted down to Hard.
Human Sequencer
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:28 am

I fucking hate skills.

I hate bullshit enemy skills you have no way of properly playing around, aside from cheese.

I hate spending 80% of the game managing my army to breed super skilled soldiers.

I hate the fact that any class that doesn't have a good skill is irrelevant.

I fucking hate skills.

This is a big reason as to why I can't enjoy awakening/conquest as much as shadow dragon/new mystery/rekka no ken.
nah
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:59 am

Post by Vi »

All of that applies a lot more to Awakening (Galeforce Emblem) than Fates though.
Human Sequencer
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:10 am

I don't think I got much further than halfway through Conquest, I don't remember though, it was ages ago.
nah
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:33 am

Post by Andrius »

I mean, I like skills. Astra has always been amazing and Sol is my favorite. (Aether in later games.)
I think I liked them better when there were less of them. Scarcity creates value.

FE4 had some that were limited to certain characters and their children.
FE9 and 10 had skills but in limited supply - FE 9 had a limited number of Occult-based great skills.

The Galeforce/Vengeance combo got me through Apotheosis in Awakening, but it was largely unfun playing all those hours in the EXP grinder just to win that one level.

Return to “The Arcade”