Title Fairy: Killer App Edition (Swipe Right!)

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #253 (isolation #0) » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:44 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

I would like to make a nomination of sorts. Rather, I want to open the floor for discussion for a specific title while allowing other people to give their own ideas for what the title should be.

One of the biggest weaknesses of this title-- and one that I am willing to accept-- is that when I think of this user, there are so many good things to think of. The reason for nominating him is just one tiny portion of how he contributes to the site. But titles, as Chevre says, are supposedly referencing a "notable event or possess notable traits or quirks that make them outstanding members of the community." I think this has a good chance at qualifying for that description.

Without any more useless words (but don't worry, many more useless words will follow) -

I would like to nominate Cheetory6 for the title of
MS Painter

Explanation for the title:

MS is an abbreviation for Microsoft. The program name for Paint is mspaint.exe.
MS is also an abbreviation for Mafiascum. Cheetory paints for Mafiascum.

Why does Cheetory6 deserve this title:

Paint Mafia was a Large Theme that can be seen here.
Take a look at Cheetory's ISO in that game. Not only was it excellently modded and designed, but there was clearly a good amount of care put into the flavor of this game. Accompanying basically every single votecount was a Paint drawing, done with great care, of a subject of a player's choosing. Cheetory clearly cares about the quality of the game as well as game flavor as a moderator, and this title would reflect that by referencing one of his games.

Want a Paint Avatar? is a thread created by Cheetory offering a highly requested service- to create Paint avatars for the Mafiascum community. These avatars are made with outstanding quality and I do not know a single user that has been dissatisfied with his work.

Counterarguments for the title:

"When I think of Cheetory, I don't think of MS Paint! I think of X/Y/Z!"
Although this is a decent argument, I don't think that titles have to completely encompass what a user means to the other members of the site. If Cheetory does not believe that this title represents who he wants to be for the site, he is free to reject it.

"The title is not clever enough!"
I was afraid that people might think this, which is why I'm asking for any other title suggestions based on this idea that Cheetory might like better than mine.

"Cheetory sucks and doesn't deserve a title!"
YOU suck and don't deserve a title. Cheetory is goddamn cool as hell.
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #436 (isolation #1) » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:11 am

Post by Errantparabola »

In post 433, Aristophanes wrote:He has been "bussed" by "Universally" by Players, Mod, Cops, and Town.
In addition to what Zito said, getting "Bussed" by these categories of people don't exactly qualify as bussing
it feels forced/a stretch.

just my $0.02

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #440 (isolation #2) » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:17 am

Post by Errantparabola »

In post 437, drmyshottyizsik wrote:So only certain categories can throw someone under a bus? That's somethingist
Well, yeah.
To throw someone under the bus implies that you were their ally before you betrayed them.
In mafia, you really only do that if you're scumpartners with someone because unless you, like, bus your mason buddy or something, i guess that might happen.

That's all I got to say. I trust chevre to decide.

--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #909 (isolation #3) » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:33 am

Post by Errantparabola »

In post 907, Randomnamechange wrote:It started in SUPP I think? People started saying that Zulfy was going to be robbed when he didn't win, and it developed into a running joke.
zulfy was also robbed of the crummies

--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #1496 (isolation #4) » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:53 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

In post 1495, Accountant wrote:Yay! I secretly hated the Jamal title, but I didn't want to say it for fear of biasing the people. I don't want my title to be based around a single joke.
.... But doesnt the person have to approve the title after the fairy approves it
So like, if you didnt want the title you could have said so and then you wouldnt get it

Am i missing something here

--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #1506 (isolation #5) » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:58 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

thanks caled for the nom, i can't deny that it feels somewhat nice. it's like validation that i'm not just yelling into the void, i guess.
also mastin, thanks for the kind words, that also made me feel happy.

that being said im just gonna say i don't really want this title. sorry.

--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #1840 (isolation #6) » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:25 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

Spoiler: Wherein I quote several title nominations that I think are poor, and restate other people's arguments expressing their displeasure at aforementioned title nominations but in my own words
In post 1837, zoraster wrote:The whole point of giving him a new title is to get "khan" out of his title.
Haven't people attempted to reference Kublai Khan's title as precedent for username-based titles so often that at this point, a Khan-based title would have the added plus of being self-referential towards Kublai Khan's title's propensity to serve as an example for people who want to push their username-based title agenda forward?

EDIT: I think I need to point out that I am not being entirely serious here.
This is probably a poor post overall.
I regret making it, but will leave it for the annals, and perhaps, future posters may learn from my mistakes, although that may be a dream that will never become reality.

EDIT2: On second thought, it may not be entirely preposterous for my original point to be a legitimate talking point when talking about the value of seriously nominating Kublai Khan for a Khan-based title. I'm reasonably certain that several titles have been born out of behavior related to the titling process and the titling thread, and this would be another example-- namely, subverting the near-universal belief that username titles are a poor idea, and giving the user that currently holds the prime example of a username title another username title.

EDIT3: I feel like I need to clarify that last thought. Ideally, a title should holistically relate to the nominee's presence and impact on site, and I do not believe that there is a lot of common ground between a title that bears the name of Khan and a title that is worthy of bearing the name of Khan. As such, although I will continue to read future discourse on these mostly frivolous Kublai Khan nominations, I will most likely not be contributing any input or support for said titles. As many people have previously said, it would be ideal if people did not have to comb through the unnecessarily large pile of aforementioned frivolity to find something that is worthy of actual title-based discussion.

EDIT4: Let's be real. This post is a complete fucking trainwreck. I really want to delete it.

EDIT5: It appears that I don't have the option to delete this post. Whether that is a consequence of me missing some sort of time window or never having that sort of power in the first place is of no great import. However, I will note that I do feel tempted to just replace the entirety of this post with some sort of content that would earn me the respect and approval of my peers-- perhaps, some insightful comment or maybe even some label that noted that the post that was previously edited out was in fact, insightful, but I did not want it shown for some particular reason. I've decided that I will settle for a compromise, and put this entire post in spoiler tags, and let the public know that what is inside the spoiler tag is not what most people would qualify as a "good post," and so if the user decides to click on the spoiler tag, it would be in part the responsibility of the user for bringing such displeasure upon themselves. This would partly absolve me of the responsibility for the exposure of this post, and I would be able to sleep more easily.

EDIT6: I realize now that titling the spoiler "definitely do not click on this" is going to motivate many to click on the spoiler. With that knowledge, I would still be morally responsible because I would actively and knowingly be making a decision that encourages people to click on the spoiler. After a few short moments brainstorming what would be the spoiler header that would discourage the greatest population from clicking on the spoiler, I arrived on some sort of statement pretending that this post was undesirable as well as uninteresting, while also detailing exactly what was inside the post. That way I would satiate the user's curiosity as well as let them know that this post is not something that they would want to click on. However, I also think that it shouldn't be too uninteresting, because that might make the user suspicious, and click on it anyway. It must be uninteresting, but unassumingly so. I arrived at the spoiler header you see now. I am claiming that this post is, in fact, me quoting "several title nominations that I think are poor, and [restating] other people's arguments expressing their displeasure at aforementioned title nominations but in my own words." This spoiler header conveys both that this post has nothing to add to the conversation, that this post is going to be unoriginal and have nothing of note, and as a result, it will hopefully ensure that a good number of users simply glaze over this post. I do ask that if you were one of the unlucky users to happen to have their interest piqued by the spoiler header, or perhaps you just open spoilers out of habit, please do not comment on it, for if it were to get buried that would mean that my mistake would fade away, noticed by as few as possible. I ask you, unlucky reader, to do this for me.

EDIT7: I do feel like I need to defend the validity of the original argument, and will cite this--
In post 1830, zakk wrote:still has the terrible username pun and everything
See? The "terrible username pun" is a crucial part of Kublai Khan's title identity (if, of course, he wishes it to be) and being self-referential towards that identity is something that the masses would eat up. The issue would be making the reference inherent in the title, which is most likely never going to be resolved.
But I'm not saying that someone is inevitably going to come up with another title that both the community and Kublai Khan himself can agree is ideal. All I'm saying is that this "terrible username pun" thing isn't a wash as far as discourse is concerned. That's all I'm saying. That's all I ever wanted to say. I don't know how it got so out of hand.

--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #1849 (isolation #7) » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:49 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

that post was not completely sincere, but it is likely a lot more sincere that you might think it is at first glance

--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #2053 (isolation #8) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:57 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

I realized that the post that I made here was contributing to the title thread problem, so here is a potentially legitimate discussion point?

I know LLD said she might want to move away from her current title and that didn't really get acknowledged by anyone
I don't know if I want to outright nom LLD for this but I do think that perhaps people who know her better and are better at making titles can build off of it?

Tentatively nom/Put up for discussion
Nekonfidante
for
LLD

It seems a bit obscure?
It seems a bit unwieldy?
What does everyone think?

It's a portmanteau of
neko
and
confidante

Because neko is the japanese word for cat. and well, LLD.
and confidante because

1) My personal experience with LLD is that she is very approachable, I was talking in site chat about some emotions and I remember LLD approaching me privately and she was wonderful and very kind.
2) The fact that she runs the Anonymous Question thread also likely stems from that same characteristic.

I know that it might not be looked favorably upon to request a title, but I'm making this tentative nom because I do support a different title for LLD. The first things I think of when I think of LLD are those things, not rage (despite having briefly played mafia with LLD before)

I think that her willingness to help people that she doesn't even know that well (me) is something that deserves to be acknowledged.
Last edited by Errantparabola on Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #2057 (isolation #9) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:48 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

In post 2056, Nahdia wrote:i like the idea but Nekofidante is kind of awkward looking/to say. maybe that's just me though
its not just you. i agree.

--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #2059 (isolation #10) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:51 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

hey, that's quite good. i'll 2nd that.

--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #2064 (isolation #11) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:02 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

In post 2061, Psyche wrote:sry man not every portmanteau is ok
Psyche, i extended an invitation to everyone to improve upon it

--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #2248 (isolation #12) » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:38 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

can anyone explain to me the pun behind shipwrite
sorry im not smart and i dont get it :(

--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #2251 (isolation #13) » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:03 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

i got that part
i understand the ship part
and the write part
what is the pun part

Edit: I got the pun part. apparently shipwrights build ships

--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #2298 (isolation #14) » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:17 am

Post by Errantparabola »

3rd

--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #2394 (isolation #15) » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:58 am

Post by Errantparabola »

why

--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #2604 (isolation #16) » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:34 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

do i hear a
s-s-s-s-s-second
?!?!??!!?

--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #2608 (isolation #17) » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:37 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

but you see
everything about MTD just screams best girl
its not just that MTD exhibits some bestgirlian traits.
MTD
is
best girl.

--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #2624 (isolation #18) » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:10 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

if only mtd were the site admin

--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #2725 (isolation #19) » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:24 am

Post by Errantparabola »

mykos title is one of my favorite on site

--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #2730 (isolation #20) » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:08 am

Post by Errantparabola »

mMm.
he is frisian and he is a shoulder demon

--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #2800 (isolation #21) » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:37 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

In post 2789, The Bulge wrote:cocks .
qft.

--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #2858 (isolation #22) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:16 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

In post 1401, Oman wrote:I like "Certifiable" for Accountant
something like this. or certifiably perfect or something idk. let's talk about it.
we don't have official nths but we had KTS / Oman / zakk / McMenno / Firebringer on board (and me).
i thought it was a good title and it got buried by a bad frog joke nom

--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #2861 (isolation #23) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:21 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

1) the joke was cpa
2) do titles have to be jokes? since when did all titles have to be jokes?

--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #2863 (isolation #24) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:27 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

here's a title suggestion. it probably sucks idk. i think i reached too much on this one.
nom accountant for "more weight"

One of accountant's significant traits is that they refuse to buckle despite many, many people believing that they are wrong. everyone tries to condemn/disagree but accountant does not shy away from conversing on their beliefs. I liked the image of a bunch of other scummers trying to buckle and change their beliefs but they just say "more weight." you know. kind of like the salem witch trials, giles corey, more weight, you know.

accountant likes madoka magica too, if you want to make witchcraft part of it, interpret it however you want.
and you know, thomas more wrote utopia. thomas more, more weight, you can make that part of it too in your interpretation. whatever floats your boat, if every title needs to have wordplay/double meaning in it.

--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #3054 (isolation #25) » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:08 am

Post by Errantparabola »

nth, I like that.
That's A Rap
perhaps? in the same vein?

--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #3058 (isolation #26) » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:05 am

Post by Errantparabola »

It alludes to nothing else besides kts's rapping because that was what the title nom was intended to nom kts for

--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #3059 (isolation #27) » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:05 am

Post by Errantparabola »

i think psyche would be a good title fairy

--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #3290 (isolation #28) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:07 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

huh, when did zor get rid of his title?

--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #3307 (isolation #29) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:56 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

I saw this page before the bottom of the previous page, and that was actually my first thought. Was confused for a second.

--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #3323 (isolation #30) » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:25 am

Post by Errantparabola »

proposal:

We should remove everyone from Title Thread access except for Keely.
He alone will have the power to read, post, nominate, Nth, and approve.

Only then will titles truly reach the quality that we strive for.

--implosion
provided

Return to “Player Titles”