Newbie 1769: Happy New Year! (Post-Game)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Shade
Shade
Townie
Shade
Townie
Townie

Post Post #225 (ISO) » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:46 am

Post by Shade »

In post 217, Creature wrote:
In post 213, Shade wrote:What do you mean?
Shade, schadd_

Got it?

Well, throwing shade is something like making a player look scummy yet not scumreading him.
I get the joke lol, I just got confused why you started joking about my username there. :D

and thanks for the answers.
In post 218, gigabyteTroubadour wrote:If you have a scumread (you think someone is more likely to be mafia based on their posts and your perception of their motivations),
then it's simply playing to win to vote to have them lynched
. The only reason, at least to me, to withhold your vote is if you're not ready to end the day with a hammer and claim.

I'm assuming that by asking that, (if this is not true then you can ignore this question) that there's a reason you believe I shouldn't have voted TB in that instant? If so, why?
You said your vote was serious means you wanted to get them lynched. It's just hard to believe you got that strong feeling about a slot based on that post. I'm concerned about how fast you reached that state for being comfortable for saying your vote was serious not that you shouldn't have voted him.
In post 218, gigabyteTroubadour wrote:I know this was for creature but i kind of want to comment on it

the game would focus way too much around optimal play and be too townsided (favoring town wins) if it were always 1 newbie/1 SE. Basically you'd just have to lynch all 2 or 3 SEs and then let the NKs confirm 1-2 newbies as town, and then leave the rest of the game to the remaining 3 newbies. kinda defeats the purpose of the game i feel. (if the team is in fact two newbies, godspeed. i've seen a few of newbie-newbie teams do really well but rolling scum for your first game without knowing how to town must really suck )
I was thinking, since it's a newbie game there is a veteran player in scum teams, but yeah I understand why that ruins the game now. Thanks.
In post 218, gigabyteTroubadour wrote:Scum are inherently lying about the information they have when they play Mafia and also win the game in a different manner than Town. Basically playing this game is looking for people who are trying to hide those two things from the rest of us.

Sometimes for people first picking up this game, it's hard to really understand what someone lying about information they have looks like (maybe less so for having different motives when reading newer players but it's not always intuitive) over text. This leads to a lot of players looking for a lot of bad (in my opinion) universal tells, like "OMGUS" (voting/suspecting someone because they suspect you, which I think can be a valid reason to vote someone if you think their reasoning isn't genuine) or being over-defensive (Nobody wants confirmed town to die because that doesn't help town win at all. Survival shouldn't be your biggest priority but some people (like me lol) are really bad to reacting to pressure). Reading past games where you can see other players in your position go through the motions might help jumpstart the right thought process, and also let you see what scum in different skill levels look like.
Thanks for the clarifications. I don't think I can find enough time to read any past games though. catching up with this game will be hard enough at this rate; if it's going to have 9 new pages each 24 hours! Maybe next week, I actually tried that.
Shade
Shade
Townie
Shade
Townie
Townie

Post Post #226 (ISO) » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:49 am

Post by Shade »

I actually try* that and sorry for grammatical errors.

I'm just tired.
Aeronaut
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Aeronaut
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #227 (ISO) » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:49 am

Post by Aeronaut »

- VoteCount 1.3 -

With 9 players still alive, it's 5 to lynch!

[L-5]
mattblackguy -
[L-5]
GAYreenHamster -
[L-5]
Shade -
[L-5]
schadd_ -
[L-5]
Raskolnikov -
[L-3]
ThinkBig -
schadd_, gigabyteTroubadour

[L-5]
gigabyteTroubadour -
[L-4]
Creature -
ThinkBig

[L-4]
rakkar -
mattblackguy

Not Voting
-
Shade, rakkar, Creature, Raskolnikov, GAYreenHamster

Day 1 ends in (expired on 2017-01-18 20:00:00)
2023 W/L | 1-0
gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #228 (ISO) » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:54 am

Post by gigabyteTroubadour »

In post 225, Shade wrote:You said your vote was serious means you wanted to get them lynched. It's just hard to believe you got that strong feeling about a slot based on that post. I'm concerned about how fast you reached that state for being comfortable for saying your vote was serious not that you shouldn't have voted him.
honestly it's not as strong as i made it out to be

i kind of hope this was implied through my iso but it was like 60% posture 40% actual read, i figured acting like i had a really strong read would help divide the town and get better reads by having people take sides

starting controversy generally is a good way to get information but when people aren't interested it kind of fizzles out and doesn't help anyone :dead:

i do typically get reads on people off of 1 or 2 posts though but they're seldom lock-reads. being able to adjust your reads to the gamestate is probably one of the most important parts of play as either alignment.
Shade wrote:I actually try* that and sorry for grammatical errors.

I'm just tired.
it's cool, i've made a lot of errors too this game :dead:
i no longer strictly go by they/them and honestly prefer she/her but they/them's fine if you're used to it i guess

☭ I'm coming for that toothbrush ☭
gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #229 (ISO) » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:55 am

and i'll try to cut down on hyperposting a bit, reading 9 pages of one-liners is really annoying and i'm really bad at exacerbating that :dead:
i no longer strictly go by they/them and honestly prefer she/her but they/them's fine if you're used to it i guess

rakkar
rakkar
Townie
rakkar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #230 (ISO) » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:22 pm

Post by rakkar »

In post 229, gigabyteTroubadour wrote:and i'll try to cut down on hyperposting a bit, reading 9 pages of one-liners is really annoying and i'm really bad at exacerbating that :dead:
I'm keen to play but it feels pretty overwhelming to to see ten pages to read in less than 48 hours.
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #231 (ISO) » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:01 pm

Post by schadd_ »

In post 213, Shade wrote:
In post 198, schadd_ wrote:it makes it scummy from my perspective, tho; maybe you should seem town to everyone else
why should scum bother to scum read you when they can just kill you? why town can't mistakenly scum read you? You're making no sense.
not sure where those questions come from. all i was saying is that when someone votes for me, it makes them seem scummy to me, given that i know my alignment. the second question doesn't have an answer; town can totally misread me. the first question doesn't make sense to me; if gayreen is scum, he is going to want to lynch a town during the day (which he would try to do by saying he has a scumread on them). he will also want to kill a town during the night.
In post 218, gigabyteTroubadour wrote:
In post 213, Shade wrote:Why would you vote someone to get them lynched, that soon in the game?
If you have a scumread (you think someone is more likely to be mafia based on their posts and your perception of their motivations), then it's simply playing to win to vote to have them lynched. The only reason, at least to me, to withhold your vote is if you're not ready to end the day with a hammer and claim.

I'm assuming that by asking that, (if this is not true then you can ignore this question) that there's a reason you believe I shouldn't have voted TB in that instant? If so, why?
to add to this, even though it is very unlikely that a townie can be confident about who scums are on the first page, voting is still a good idea. firstly, most games have RVS at the beginning; there isn't really a way to naturally have discussion, especially if everyone is in the same position (not voting, not voted for). voting for people makes asymmetry and gives town something to talk about (which GBT sorta mentioned). as well, it makes you accountable; announcing townreads/scumreads as scum is difficult and unnatural because you already know alignments, and you're necessarily fabricating some reason to want to kill someone if they're town, or not to kill them if they're scum. people are bad at doing this. thus, if i say i think TB is scum for X reason, not only do other people get to talk about the validity of X reason, but also it makes me seem towny because that would have been a (slightly) difficult post to make if i were scum.
incidentally, if somebody avoids taking stances or only parrots what other people say, it will seem very scummy.
hope this makes sense.
ThinkBig
ThinkBig
Jack of All Trades
ThinkBig
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #232 (ISO) » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:10 am

Post by ThinkBig »

Hey all! I have off today and tomorrow (WOO HOO) so let me take some time to catch up!
I have officially retired this account. My new account is Virtuoso.
gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #233 (ISO) » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:33 am

In post 232, ThinkBig wrote:Hey all! I have off today and tomorrow (WOO HOO) so let me take some time to catch up!
:)

yeah tyt, you're going to get lynched today anyway :dead: :dead:

hey rakkar, do you have any thoughts or insights in the gamestate right now?

Raskolnikov
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #234 (ISO) » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:55 am

Post by Raskolnikov »

prodge

probably doing this game tomorrow
deranged and incoherent
?
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #235 (ISO) » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:51 am

Post by Creature »

So giga, why are you townreading schadd?
Sigh
gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #236 (ISO) » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:58 am

In post 235, Creature wrote:So giga, why are you townreading schadd?
emotional vibing, liked his TB vote early game, i think his calling TB's claim calculated looks like genuine analysis, general approach to the game feels like town with like 1 game of experience off-site

but i'm kind of at a point where i have to pick two in {schadd, shade, matt} to be very confident in their townieness to get that game-winning townbloc (very confident in rask, you, and GAYreen town)

or i could just scumhunt but i honestly want to get a baseline of everyone's personality first, i'm ass at scumhunting but i don't think an overemphasis on townhunting is the right approach this game like usually works out to be, feels too slow? :dead:

rakkar needs to post something game advancing

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #237 (ISO) » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:14 pm

Post by schadd_ »

In post 179, Creature wrote:Okay, I'll post my reads as soon the two unexistent start existing.
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #238 (ISO) » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:15 pm

Post by schadd_ »

although i suppose we haven't really heard from rakkar
mattblackguy
mattblackguy
Goon
mattblackguy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #239 (ISO) » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:27 pm

Post by mattblackguy »

mattblackguy - Town
GAYreenHamster - Town
Shade - Town
rakkar - Mafia
schadd_- Town
Raskolnikov (SE) - Town
ThinkBig (SE) - Mafia
gigabyteTroubadour (SE) - Town
Creature (IC) - Town

So did we win?
mattblackguy
mattblackguy
Goon
mattblackguy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #240 (ISO) » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:40 pm

Post by mattblackguy »

By the way, my previous post was 100% serious. I really do believe Rakkar, and ThinkBig are the mafia. Rakkar hasn't contributed anything to the game. He hasn't posted any opinions on anything that has gone on in this game so far, and hasn't posted any of his thoughts about the other players (who he thinks is town, who he thinks is scum etc.) I will not remove my vote from Rakkar unless he actually contributes something.
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #241 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:09 am

Post by Creature »

So nothing else?
Sigh
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #242 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:09 am

Post by Creature »

I'm kind of agreeing that rakkar + ThinkBig are scum, but I need to be prepared if one of them isn't scum.
Sigh
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #243 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:11 am

Post by Creature »

1. mattblackguy

2. GAYreenHamster

3. Shade
4. rakkar
5. schadd_
6. Raskolnikov (SE)
7. ThinkBig (SE)
8. gigabyteTroubadour (SE)

9. Creature (IC)
Sigh
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #244 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:11 am

Post by Creature »

I'm gonna review the unstriked.
Sigh
Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #245 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:12 am

Post by Creature »

Meh, I'm actually townreading ThinkBig for his claim.
Sigh
gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #246 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:35 am

In post 242, Creature wrote:I'm kind of agreeing that rakkar + ThinkBig are scum, but I need to be prepared if one of them isn't scum.
exactly how i feel :///

we need dissent imo :dead:

gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #247 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:39 am

why isn't rask striked off btw

or is that just your undying paranoia of him

Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #248 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:09 am

Post by Creature »

In post 234, Raskolnikov wrote:prodge

probably doing this game tomorrow
Won't strike this.
Sigh
gigabyteTroubadour
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
gigabyteTroubadour
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #249 (ISO) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:11 am

that doesn't seem like a particularly scummy post to me, he could just be too busy to figure out how to jumpstart this game as town. i'm struggling to do it myself

do you think rask has a particular reason to avoid this game as scum? i think he's only in like 1 other game anyway

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”