Magic: The Gathering,GO TEAM MS!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #6299 (isolation #400) » Thu May 28, 2015 4:52 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Maybe they should do that in other sports. Maybe NFL teams should just split the Lombardi trophy this year. They can play the first half out for fun, then leave for dinner.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #6331 (isolation #401) » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:39 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I keep hoping they'll institute Partial Paris as the mulligan rule. Would make for more playable hands, I think.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #6470 (isolation #402) » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:43 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I believe copy effects don't copy temporary effects, so you'd get a planeswalker. I'm a bit out of practice, though, so I'd wait for one of the judges on site to weigh in.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #6473 (isolation #403) » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:04 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I was pretty sure about the temporary effects not copying, but it was the loyalty counters I wasn't sure of, since that's different from a temporary effect. I guess that doesn't transfer to the copy, either.

That does mean that copying something like Spike Feeder is pointless, since you don't get the +1/+1 counters and it dies immediately.

How does that accord with copying a copy? If I Clone your Clone, then I get whatever your Clone was copying, not a copy of Clone itself. I assume this as something to with Timestamps, since I think they're both Layer 1 effects?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #6478 (isolation #404) » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:05 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So if I copy, I get a copy, and any copy of my copy is a copy of the copy that I'm copying, unless it's a Clone, in which case the Clone is the copy and not a Clone, so the copy is the copy and not the Clone, unless the Clone is a Clone, is which case the copy isn't a copy or a Clone and both Clone and copy are destroyed.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #6531 (isolation #405) » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:11 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

"Quit having fun doing things I don't have fun doing!"
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #6565 (isolation #406) » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:31 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Frankly, I always liked Life Orb Nidoking. He gets that ability that gives +30% damage to attacks that have status effects, and he gets Earthquake/Flamethrower/Thunderbolt/HP Ice for almost perfect coverage, and he resists Stealth Rock and is immune to Poison Spikes. I used to run a BP team that used Gorebyss to pass Shell Smash to him, and then he'd sweep everything. And nobody else ever ran it, so nobody knew how to counter it. Tons of fun, and completely original.

Screw it, I agree with Ythan now.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #6568 (isolation #407) » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:37 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

True; I probably am misremembering my moveset. That said, Shell Smash is still doubling your Att, Sp.Att., and Speed, so it's not such a problem.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #6575 (isolation #408) » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:51 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Why go to all the trouble of a competitive pokemon thread when there's a perfectly good thread right here nobody's using?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #6617 (isolation #409) » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:25 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Time for Return to Dominaria!
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #6621 (isolation #410) » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:21 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

They could bring back Rath, I remember that being a decent plane.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #6623 (isolation #411) » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:23 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Yeah. I think the deal was that Phyrexia was permanently sealed off from Dominaria to prevent Yawgmoth from conquering the place, so they created the artificial plane of Rath to invade from instead. And then also Volrath took it over for a while for reasons.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #6625 (isolation #412) » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:44 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I don't know if it still exists or not; I'm not sure if it's ever been established one way or another. It could still be hanging on in some sort of post-apocalyptic scenario.

Of course, I think the plan was to crash the plane into Dominaria, in which case we can do a Return to Rath and a Return to Dominaria in a single block!
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #6627 (isolation #413) » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:14 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So you're saying we should do Return to Dominaria, Rath, and Zhalfir as a single block?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #6631 (isolation #414) » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:06 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

They could bring back Urza and Mishra from the dead! It'll be great!
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #6715 (isolation #415) » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:13 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I agree with Klazam. Things with my EDH circle, back when I had one, could be a bit rough at the start, since we basically just built powerful decks and whoever got the best draw won quickly. Building more funhaver decks and then playing them seriously proved to be a lot more enjoyable for everyone. Basically, build like a Johnny, play like a Spike.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #6726 (isolation #416) » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:56 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I've milled out a bunch of opponents, back when I thought Turbo Fog was a fine thing to bring to a card shop.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #6759 (isolation #417) » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:43 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I think its more that Wizards is harsher on combo decks than other decks for reasons I don't understand.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #6761 (isolation #418) » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:32 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I keep thinking about getting back into magic by ignoring standard and just going straight to Modern or Legacy. Figure that instead of spending a couple hundred on a deck that'll be gone after rotation, I could instead spend a couple hundred on a deck that'll be good for years. But this is worrying me if a deck can just get the boot after such an investment because Wizards wants to shake things up.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #6776 (isolation #419) » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:50 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

It's like every time they ban a deck for being the best deck, the meta shifts so that something else becomes the best deck! Clearly, the only solution is to ban every card.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #6778 (isolation #420) » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:57 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I'm looking forward to the day when the only modern legal cards are basic lands, and WotC starts discussing banning Islands because 3 of the top 8 were running the dreaded 60x Island deck.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #6795 (isolation #421) » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:18 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Plus, they make a very pricey obstacle for people trying to buy into the format for the first time, since you basically need a set of every fetchland for your Modern and Legacy decks.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #6853 (isolation #422) » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:59 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

It's been a while, but I used to just pick the best card for the first 3-5 cards, regardless of color, and then decide what color I should be based on what I got and what I get passed.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #6859 (isolation #423) » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:18 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Yeah, it's not as though Fetchlands are important to decks.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #6861 (isolation #424) » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:33 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Yeah, because a person only ever builds one deck. That's super logical, Shea.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #6944 (isolation #425) » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:48 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Fact or Fiction was good because you could get the best card out of the top 5, whereas with this you're getting the second best card.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #6988 (isolation #426) » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:19 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 6985, DiamondSentinel wrote:I excel at that.

I see your powerpoint.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #7002 (isolation #427) » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:19 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Well, now I want context.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #7183 (isolation #428) » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:25 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I haven't played in like 3 rotations (whenever RTR was), but I like tourneys. I'd probably return for it, if I knew what a Super League was.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #7222 (isolation #429) » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:37 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I believe it works like Storm does, where the "Spells cast" goes up when you play it, not when it resolves. So if you cast a spell, and then cast a second spell before the first resolves, you gain 1 life with the first and 2 life with the second, for a total of 3 life.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #7224 (isolation #430) » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:01 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Right. Reservoir "sees" cards that were played before it enters play, since it only cares about the number of spells per turn. So if reservoir is in play, the first spell you play immediately gives you a trigger to gain 1 life, the second spell you playing immediately gives you a trigger to gain 2 life, and so on, regardless of whether the spells in question actually resolve. Similarly, if the spell you cast is the third spell, you immediately get a trigger to gain three life, even if Reservoir itself didn't see the first spell.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #7226 (isolation #431) » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:55 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Why Panharmonicon, though? It doesn't seem to have much synergy with the deck.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #7228 (isolation #432) » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:32 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

No, it doesn't trigger Reservoir; Reservoir triggers upon the spell being cast, not upon the creature/artifact entering play, so Panharmonicon doesn't do anything with Reservoir. So all it does is dig with Crane and give you energy tokens with Theorist.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #7231 (isolation #433) » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:39 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 7230, popsofctown wrote:Why would you run Felidar Sovereign when Reservoir already has its ability
What if his opponent has 51 life tho?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #7257 (isolation #434) » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:43 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I believe they changed the rule around that so that you can't do this. Same thing as the oblivion ring trick, basically.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #7291 (isolation #435) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:30 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I think so. That's how Brain in a Jar works- it checks to see if either half of the Fuse card meets the requirement, and then you can cast the whole thing, including Fuse, for free if it does.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #7308 (isolation #436) » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:07 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

As a general rule, you can't cast a spell that targets unless you have the necessary number of legal targets. The only difference between this spell and others is that it has a variable number of targets, but you still need X targets to cast it for any given X.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #7356 (isolation #437) » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:38 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Rumors I've heard suggest we're getting a third Mirrodin block.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #7386 (isolation #438) » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:24 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 7385, Thestatusquo wrote:TIL BBD used to play on MS.
Did he tell you a username?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #7477 (isolation #439) » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:38 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

8rack is bad, but 8whack is real
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #7524 (isolation #440) » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:32 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

MTG Arena is very pretty, but I think the UI needs a lot of work. Deckbuilding is a disaster, especially.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #7542 (isolation #441) » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:33 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

We're getting a third Ravnica block? Ugh.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #7666 (isolation #442) » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:25 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Green Leyline, Freed from the Real and BoP is a T2 kill, in theory
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #7668 (isolation #443) » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:16 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

It's still a T2 kill in standard, if you don't mind getting judges called on you

Return to “The Arcade”