Newbie Setup (Matrix6 implemented)

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Human Sequencer
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: all

Post Post #850 (isolation #0) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:54 pm

Post by Human Sequencer »

Preface: I'm not very smart.
Preface: My opinion isn't important.
Preface: I'm horrible at mafia and setup spec is new to me.

I think Matrix6 is perhaps too confusing for a new player to reliably get their head around. I myself spent some while (four years in fact) confused by 2of4 followed by Matrix6. I didn't play for those four years because I just couldn't get my head around it and didn't want to let my team down. That table is about as eloquent and descriptive as it could be for new players, but still very confusing nontheless.

Would somebody kindly summarize to me what the problems with the following setup were?
You will get one of the following role distributions:

1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Doctor, 5 Townies.
1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies.
2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies.
2 Mafia Goons, 1 Doctor, 6 Townies.
If I'm not welcome in this thread, I'll fuck right off, I'm just curious and think I have relevant information as a recent newbie.
nah
Human Sequencer
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Human Sequencer
all
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: all

Post Post #852 (isolation #1) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:14 am

Post by Human Sequencer »

Has the following hypothesis ever been considered:

Surviving is an easier concept to grasp for a newbie, as opposed to scumhunting. Beyond that newMafia have a PT with which they can openly ask how to play and openly communicate with another player whose alignment is known to be the same as theirs. There's no paranoia for newScum.
In theory, the same should be true of newTown with regards to the IC, but that never happened in all the three newbie games I've been in.

Therefore, I put it to you that any setup that has a 50/50 winrate in the newbie queue will in-fact be sided towards town, and beyond that 'game balance' perhaps isn't so important.

What's the priority of this queue?
Is it
A) Creating a low-stress environment for newbies to learn in for their first few games, with the hope of them enjoying themselves and wanting to play more, or
B) Creating a balanced queue where winrates are split 50/50 between scum/town?
nah

Return to “Mafia Discussion”