How to respond to presure when you're scum read

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #17 (isolation #0) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:19 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

You're all absolute fucking dogshit for voting me and your mothers would be ashamed of you.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #19 (isolation #1) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:22 am

But actually you either need to change people's minds or change people's hearts.
Either influence people emotionally to the extent that they no longer wish to vote you or change their read so they no longer think that you're a good vote.
Second is easier but the first makes the game more pleasant for all parties involved.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #34 (isolation #2) » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:50 pm

You need to manipulate other townies when you are town and those who say otherwise are idealists who don't understand how the game works.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #35 (isolation #3) » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:52 pm

Or at least, that's been my experience as someone who has sufficient notoriety around my scum play that literally everything I do gets called into question.
If I was honest about my reads I'd get lynched every game for every perceived inconsistency, every potential ulterior motive, every single possible way I could be scum.
So I'm not. I lie about my reads and falsely make them a lot more fluid and certain than they actually are in order to make myself look townier.
I recommend that if you want to not get lynched, you do the same. Think about how your posts will be received and don't post stuff that will get you lynched.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #36 (isolation #4) » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:00 pm

Remember, the vast majority of players have no fucking clue what towniness looks like but do know what a consistent set of reads evolving 'fluidly' looks like. Fudge the former to do the latter as either alignment.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #38 (isolation #5) » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:20 pm

Yup, and that's why scum has a better winrate than town. Based on the metrics most people use to judge towniness, it's easier for scum to look town than actual town.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #43 (isolation #6) » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:11 pm

In post 42, Ankamius wrote:As someone who is nearly impossible to lynch as town by play, I'd have to say a big reason for it is that even if I'm completely disinterested in the game and haven't done much of anything, I respond to pressure by stepping up and challenging anyone who reacts to my wagon in a way I don't think is town and then brute forcing them to address it. Oftentimes I don't even acknowledge the fact that I'm being wagoned outside of this.

The amount of times I've gotten close to being lynched and then had a bunch of people suddenly get really unsure whether I'm actually scum and unvote is unreal.
Nearly impossible ;)
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #80 (isolation #7) » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:40 am

In post 79, kuribo wrote:
In post 69, Realeo wrote:Not PR or gambit related? Actually faking reads?
I've... not FAKED the read per se, but I've definitely been soft toward my scum reads calling them null so they won't NK me while I lynch their buddies.

I've absolutely called DGB null when I was scumreading her for that very reason, because when I scum-read her I wind up dead.
The trick is to only give a read on one scum at a time.

After all, you can only lynch one scum per day, and it's not like anyone reads dead peoples' reads.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”