Feature Announcements

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #68 (isolation #0) » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:01 am

Post by zoraster »

I don't know how long it's been there, but the ability to iso on two different players is a BIG help, thanks!
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #188 (isolation #1) » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:48 am

Post by zoraster »

Great change!
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #192 (isolation #2) » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:14 am

Post by zoraster »

No. It's not a "superior option" because signatures can actually have a use. For example, I quite like that IceGuy can advertise his game with a short little tag. I like that someone can put a one or two sentence quote at the bottom. A short sig actually helps break up posts a little bit in a good way when rereading a game thread.

But I don't need to read the same conversations over and over or a list of all their favorite movies or whatever. It encourages people to keep it short and sweet, which is exactly what it should be. And if you want to go longer, that's fine. You just have to accept that not everyone will be forced to read your signature.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #196 (isolation #3) » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:25 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 193, Bella wrote:When you click show on Oman's sig, the only thing that makes his post any longer is the goddamn button.

It's a decent point, but a few things: First, the impulse to have longer sigs will be seriously curtailed. Second, see my comment below about white space vs. clutter.

All that said, I wouldn't mind if this were the default and there were an "automatically SHOW all signatures" option in the UserCP.

In post 195, animorpherv1 wrote:
In post 192, zoraster wrote:But I don't need to read the same conversations over and over or a list of all their favorite movies or whatever.

Why would you read a sig more than once if it looks the same as it did last time? Seriously. I'll generally skip over most signatures unless they look different from what I remember.

And 3 lines is too short. Bella is right, if you open up Oman's sig, had that button not been there, it'd fit perfectly. Someone tell me how Oman's sig is too long. Please.

Well. That's kind of my point. I'm done with the signature after the first time. But it remains to clutter the screen. That sounds like a petty point, but it's actually pretty important. White (or in this case verrrryy light blue) space is a good thing.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #197 (isolation #4) » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:30 am

Post by zoraster »

I also wouldn't mind if it automatically showed the first 2 or 3 lines and then had a SHOW or EXPAND or MORE button for anything longer than that.

I was looking at Jackal's sig on the signatures thread, and it looks like it collapses and expands the space to show it, unlike Oman's. I don't know why that is.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #198 (isolation #5) » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:42 am

Post by zoraster »

This is a signature. This signature has many bright colours, and the font Comic Sans. Just because a sig is SHORT doesn't make it GOOD!
This is a signature. This signature has many bright colours, and the font Comic Sans. Just because a sig is SHORT doesn't make it GOOD!

No one is saying that the only way to create an annoying signature is to make it cover a lot of lines. We're saying that the site as a whole benefits when we don't have really long ones. And this obviously isn't a panacea. Bad signatures can still be reported.

Also, nothing like a petulant response to harm your cause.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #202 (isolation #6) » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:49 am

Post by zoraster »

Oh I see what happened here. Each post is at least large enough to fit your name, avatar, joined and gender on the left. So if your post is short, it won't necessarily expand your post to click "Show" but if it's longer, it will. Makes sense.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #206 (isolation #7) » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:06 am

Post by zoraster »

Would it be possible to make the current setup (with the hidden sigs for signatures over 4 lines) apply only to the game forums?
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #210 (isolation #8) » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:14 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 208, animorpherv1 wrote:
In post 207, Tierce wrote:chamber, can you make this an optional feature? As in, if someone wants sigs automatically spoilered, they can alter it in their UCP, and for those who don't, they'll have them as before?

I'd be up for this. I'd remove the shit-sig after this happened, to.

Good thing it'll probably get removed for you since MS doesn't negotiate with sigterrorists.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #212 (isolation #9) » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:14 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 209, Tierce wrote:And because I can't edit the above (why is thread showing up in New York, anyway? "Board index › Mafia Games › New York"):
In post 204, Jackal711 wrote:I like mine to show because I change it regularly when day/night or needed replacement status changes in the 2 games I"m modding.

I'll remove my game records (moving it to my wiki page), and that should make it short enough.

Thank you for such a reasonable approach to this situation. Not everyone has to like it/accept it, of course, but I like how practical and straightforward you chose to be. <3

I have no idea, but the same thing happened with the F62 Changes thread, and it was annoying there too.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #215 (isolation #10) » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:20 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 213, Cyberbob wrote:did you really just make this post

Yup.

EDIT:
ps the New York thing is a thing that happens with global announcement threads, if you want to edit your posts you have to open GD or something and then click on the thread from there. new york is the forum that it defaults to

Cool. Thanks.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #218 (isolation #11) » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:40 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 216, animorpherv1 wrote:
In post 213, Cyberbob wrote:since MS doesn't negotiate with sigterrorists

> spoilered sigs put in place to remove shit-sigs
> make shit-sig anyways to prove a point
> write a "if my demands are met, I'll remove shit-sig" post
> I'm a terrorist.

Corrected. Obviously it was intended to be tongue-in-cheek, but come on... doing things that are annoying until you get your way is a bad idea.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #228 (isolation #12) » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:27 am

Post by zoraster »

Could change it from "Show" to "Show XReckonerX's Signature"?
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #230 (isolation #13) » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:50 am

Post by zoraster »

Why? It solves the problem you two were talking about.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #233 (isolation #14) » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:21 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 231, animorpherv1 wrote:Not until after you're done reading the post. At which point it's essentially useless.

But that's exactly the same as it was before. Isa was talking about how he uses sigs to differentiate between posters while on his cell phone. Not a bad point. I offered a solution.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #235 (isolation #15) » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:32 am

Post by zoraster »

I've got to say, while I've tried to meet part way with the criticism, my experience is completely opposite.

When I'm on my cell phone, that tends to be the time I find long signatures MOST annoying because far more scrolling has to be done on a cell phone, and that scrolling tends to not be as easy as using a mouse wheel.

Besides, once this becomes normal, far fewer people are going to have long signatures, so it won't be much of an issue either way.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #245 (isolation #16) » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:09 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 240, Katsuki wrote:
In post 192, zoraster wrote:No. It's not a "superior option" because signatures can actually have a use. For example, I quite like that IceGuy can advertise his game with a short little tag. I like that someone can put a one or two sentence quote at the bottom. A short sig actually helps break up posts a little bit in a good way when rereading a game thread.

But I don't need to read the same conversations over and over or a list of all their favorite movies or whatever. It encourages people to keep it short and sweet, which is exactly what it should be. And if you want to go longer, that's fine. You just have to accept that not everyone will be forced to read your signature.

Then don't read it? I don't see why a CHANGE has to be implemented to limit sigs, when there's not inherently any benefits to doing so in the first place?

For those who are going to argue that "OH BUT I DUN WANNA SEE WAH", it's like as if being a homophobe, and banning gay marriage just because you can't stand the sight of seeing gays out on the streets, when what they do really is not your choice to dictate how others should act.

Frankly I don't see any instances of say abuse that prompted this change in sig limit to be implemented?

Gee. Yes. I'm exactly like a homophobe because I don't think it's in our best interest have 8 lines of multicolored text between each post in a game. Way to elevate this conversation. It serves very little purpose other than your desire to make everyone else see "fluffy fluffy" each time as if that's somehow a great contribution. But you know what? If that's what you prioritize as your signature, fine! But fit it into 4 lines. OR just deal with the fact that everyone won't see it each and every time they see your post. They'll probably click it once to see it and move on.

The thing is that the people who are complaining most about this are those who have long signatures. And for many who did have them, they went "welp. I'll just edit myself a little bit." But no. For you it's a matter of civil rights and everyone who feels differently is an asshole bigot who's just out to get you.

And guess what? We already did restrict it. Lots of forums allow jpgs in their signature lines. We do not.
Last edited by zoraster on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #247 (isolation #17) » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:13 am

Post by zoraster »

If I remember correctly for a long time our character count was at 250 and things in tags (e.g. urls) counted toward that. The amount you can fit in 4 lines now far exceeds that.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #249 (isolation #18) » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:17 am

Post by zoraster »

Right. But even more importantly, it doesn't count tags. So if you make something into a link, you don't have to worry about how many characters that takes (I remember going to [POSSIBLEtinyurlSPAM] to fit in a game link).
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #253 (isolation #19) » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:21 am

Post by zoraster »

hahaha i did not put possible spam around that. autocorrect!

And I think making it optional is a pretty easy fix, chamber, as is spoilering lines in excess of 4. I might even prefer in excess of 4. That way it's kind of like one of those blog posts where you see the lede and can click for more if you want.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #257 (isolation #20) » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:28 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 256, Isa wrote:Just make it optional if you must have it. Preferably set to Off as standard. >_>

So that everyone will see your lovely poem that they can't understand?

I guess I'd prefer opt-out (or the Show/Hide) because then people will make their signatures to fit that standard, but I don't care that much.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #262 (isolation #21) » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:40 am

Post by zoraster »

They don't annoy me at all. I speak some Spanish and Italian. I don't even mind that you speak it with other people here who speak it. It's just that I'm not sure what you really hope anyone to get out of your signature when the number of people who can read it here can probably be counted on one hand. So if it's really long, it's kind of just taking up space to take up space.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #263 (isolation #22) » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:41 am

Post by zoraster »

Actually, I find your signature kind of pleasing to the eye now, ani.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #267 (isolation #23) » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:44 am

Post by zoraster »

Actually, that'd be a fun scavenger hunt idea: Find someone not in your group who will admit on camera that they actually really like comic sans.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #270 (isolation #24) » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:45 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 265, quadz08 wrote:Show

hahahaha quadz.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #272 (isolation #25) » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:46 am

Post by zoraster »

Funny because I got Punked AND it's a show.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #277 (isolation #26) » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:56 am

Post by zoraster »

They are styled differently, but it's not surprisingly I still fell for it.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #279 (isolation #27) » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:57 am

Post by zoraster »

oh no. they do. I'm just saying, they look similar enough that when I'm not looking closely, if something says Show where the button usually is, I'm going to fall for it nearly every time.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #289 (isolation #28) » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:34 pm

Post by zoraster »

In post 287, Katsuki wrote:Sure, we're all entitled to our own opinions. But what is it for someone else to dictate how you choose to express yourself. Only thing I see from you is that "OH TEEHEE LOOK PEOPLE WITH LONG SIGNATURES BITCHING". I've been saying that so long as the signatures don't do harm to others, why bother restricting them? You however feel that you have to go all MOI. It's fun how you have to take my example about the gay rights thing and twist it into me calling you a bigot though.

Oh? and what were you trying to accomplish with that particular example then? You were trying to paint me with the same brush as small minded people who take away the fundamental rights of others.

The point is that long signatures get in the way, clutter things, and distract from the content within the series of posts. What they offer to the site in return is negligible compared to what they could contain if they were simply edited to be four lines or less. It's not an overly burdensome requirement, and it improves the ease of reading the threads.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #291 (isolation #29) » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:58 pm

Post by zoraster »

sure.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #302 (isolation #30) » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:33 am

Post by zoraster »

i chuckled.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #313 (isolation #31) » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:00 am

Post by zoraster »

What doesn't David Mitchell say best?
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #328 (isolation #32) » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:46 am

Post by zoraster »

What chamber said. mastin being unusual is hardly unusual.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #330 (isolation #33) » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:16 pm

Post by zoraster »

In post 327, Isa wrote:(Bork bork, motherfucker.)

Come on. This is way better than your old signature.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #351 (isolation #34) » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:34 pm

Post by zoraster »

thanks, guys!
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #362 (isolation #35) » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:20 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 361, Kcdaspot wrote:Amrun is such a jack
ass
rabbit. Rabbitrabbit
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #365 (isolation #36) » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:25 am

Post by zoraster »

I think Chevre wins.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #378 (isolation #37) » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:59 am

Post by zoraster »

All Hail Kison!
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #399 (isolation #38) » Tue May 24, 2016 10:01 am

Post by zoraster »

Kison is the man.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #512 (isolation #39) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:39 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 509, Kison wrote:Anyone with editing access to a private topic will now be able to add topic moderators to the thread. You can do this by editing the first post of the topic; you should see a second form right below where you add regular users to the topic. These topic moderators will have the ability to edit posts and lock & unlock the topic. Please thank BORKJERFKIN for this feature!
Holy cow! does this mean I don't have to go in and do this as long as the original poster is still around to hand it off? Man this will be good.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #514 (isolation #40) » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:18 am

Post by zoraster »

Code: Select all

[worldclock][/worldclock]

Now shows this, which is interactive.

[worldclock][/worldclock]
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #518 (isolation #41) » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:41 am

Post by zoraster »

what did you try to do? countdown has a very specific way it needs to be formatted.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #537 (isolation #42) » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:06 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 536, ThinkBig wrote:HTTPS is soooo slooooooow