DotA Mafia

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty
Pronoun: She

DotA Mafia

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Thu May 05, 2016 3:28 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

Hello and welcome to the DotA Mafia !

this thread is for whoever wants to help me in designing a unique implementation of "Dota 2" game as a mafia game. lets start from the main idea!

Dota Mafia is an semi-open mafia for 10 / 20 people.

If 10 people: 8 town and 2 mafia
If 20 people: 16 town, 4 mafia or 14 town, 3 mafia A, and 3 mafia B.

Regardless of your alignment, half of you will be part of the Radiant clan while the other half will be in Dire clan. Each clan has their own discussion Thread as well which is open in days and nights and during the picking phase.

Each hero has 4 abilities and a talent tree. You must assign the first three abilities as reward for leveling up. First, you must pick your original skill for level 1, Second, you must pick the ability that you want as reward for level 2. Finally, you must pick the ability that you want as reward for level 4. The fourth ability is called Ultimate ability and can be only won for leveling up to level 6 (for some heroes this number might be different). Whenever someone is leveled up I will announce it to them and I will remind them what abilities they can spark (if any). Additionally at levels 10, 15, 20 and 25 heroes can learn one of the two named talents that are listed in this thread under each role pm.

Your hero also has 1 of the following primary traits:

ImageStrength : It takes 1 extra vote to lynch you.
ImageAgility : Your action or vote can't be canceled by first blocking action (Target Block, Visiting Block, Action Block or Vote Block). Each agility trait will only effect one time in each cycle (day-twilight-night).
*please read the terms dictionary to understand this completely. Agility passive can't bypass [un-bypassable] blocks.
ImageIntelligence : As primary attribute, each player starts at level 1, but you starts at level 2. Additionally each trait of intelligence will increase the number of castable abilities in each cycle by one. (originally it's one ability per cycle for each player).

Each player will pick a hero, but the picking method is based on majority vote. They are :

Spoiler: Picking Modes
1 - All pick : A random priority list will be generated at start. Everyone may send the heroes they want to play in order. Mod will start from the first person in the priority list to the last one , assigning the first available heroes they requested (or assigning a random hero if all of them are already taken). There will be a balance check , although it won't be guaranteed.

2 - All Random : Each player receives a random hero

3 - Single Draft : Each player then will receive 3 heroes with different primary attribute . They must discard 2 heroes and pick 1 to pick. The discarded heroes will be announced but who discard what will not be revealed.

4 - Random Draft : At start 30 heroes (for a 10 player game) or 60 heroes (for a 20 player game) will be announced randomly . All other heroes are banned automatically. the rest is a simple Upick mode. There will be a balance check , although it won't be guaranteed.

5 - Captains Mode : Each player will announce a hero who they want to be banned at the first 24 hours. After that everyone has another 24 hours to send me their desired pick list which will be treated like an All Pick (with a randomized priority list). During The whole picking phase players have time to choose their team Captain. These Captains will receive the name of randomly 50(for 10 players)/30(for 20 players) not banned random heroes (that their own pick is not among them) that aren't picked by the other team privately.

All the picking Phases beside Captains mode that will long 48 hours , will long 24 hours. If someone fail to submit their pick a random available hero will be assigned to them in their turn. After the picking phase end I will send all chosen heroes to all players and everyone must confirm their hero in their first post of the game. The game won't officially start (even though the game thread is open) unless another 24 hours pass or a 3/4 players confirm their role.

If two picking phase tie as majority demand before game starts, randomly one of them will get chosen.

Spoiler: Chats
During all the picking phases , Team chats (Dire/Radiant) - and hydra chats will be open.

Mafia has a private factional chat that they may use during Picking phase and all the night phases.

There might be other private chats that will have clarification about when their open or closed individually. By default all other chats can get used during both night phases and day phase.

When you pick your hero, you're aware of your alignment and your clan. Some heroes might work differently based on alignment and clans.

In all of the picking modes beside the single draft and all random , players may request for a random pick. If they do so they will start the game with an extra level.

Spoiler: Repicking
Players may Re-pick their hero during day 1 if and only if they didn't level up their heroes yet. This mechanic works differently for different game modes :

- All Pick : The next available hero on your list will be picked. If multiple players repick , a random order (new random order different from the first randomized order) for this will be generated. If there is no other hero left on your list a random hero will be assigned. All the previously picked heroes will be announced in game as banned.

- All Random : Another random hero will be picked. All the previously picked heroes will be announced in game as banned.

- Single Draft : You may choose a new hero from your other two choices.

- Random Draft : Same as All pick.

- Captains Mode : Repicking is not an option in Captains Mode.

As a penalty for repicking the repicked hero will start the game with -1 level. (minimum is 0)

Spoiler: Swapping
Mafia members will be informed of their members pick after the picking phase end. They may Swap their picked heroes during day 1. For that one must message the mod , mod will message the other mafia and will wait for their confirmation. if the other mafia confirm this action , their heroes will be swapped with no penalty (All the picked levels if any will transfer as well) . If the other mafia reject , the mod will notify the requester. One can only request for a swap only once during the game. After a swap the two involved players cant repick or swap their heroes again for the rest of the game.

Spoiler: Farming
During each day phase or twilight, players can vote for another person in their clan to let them farm. Each player has 3 farming votes in each day phase originally that they can't take back(unvote) after giving them out. Players can't vote themselves.

If someone don't use a farming point, someone random in his clan (if possible) will receive it.

Each player with 7 farm point will trade that to level up.

When someone is lynched, the game will go to 24 hours twilight regardless of the existing heroes in game.

When someone is lynched, heroes of the opposite clan of that person who was lynched, who were voting him will level up. All the farming points of the lynched person, including all the farming points he was going to receive from previous day/twilight phases will go to the hammerer.

When Killing another player you will level up one level by default. If they have more levels than you, you will get one extra level. This applies for Mafia Factional Kill as well.

Attention : Do remember that despite leveling up is an advantage, your main objective is to lynch mafia (as town), survive (as survivor) or kill everyone (as mafia).

Normally during each cycle (day--twilight--night), you can only execute 1 non-passive skill.

Mafia have a factional kill as well , which is counting like other non-passive skills with 1 cycle cooldown.

A faction of mafia is allowed to use on killing action per night. that can be the "Factional Kill" ability or any other ability that is classified as a killing action. (Executions are exceptions).

Both Teams (radiant and Dire) has access to the following mechanic :

Spoiler: Glyph of Fortification
Image Once during the game , If all the current living players of a team vote to activate the glyph , all the players of that team will be untargetable during next phase. (A role stop of Target Block). Glyph effect is bypassable with simple bypass abilities (e.x. Agility)
Please make sure that you unvote your vote for activating this if you no longer want it , cause the glyph votes won't be reset when a new phase starts.

For casting any kind of day-active abilities you may call them in the main thread or massage me through pm unless its restricted for your specific ability.

Day actions will be resolved in order of their time stamps. Night actions will be resolved by DNAR.

Everyone will receive a report about their abilities cool downs in the start of each cycle.

Spoiler: Sample report
Abilities report:

[List of passive and Active abilities you have : [The state of ability (Cooldown till cycle n/Available/Disabled)]]

Your hero is at level [Your hero level]. You can learn [How many abilities you can learn] abilities from [The list of abilities your hero can learn].

During a mylo/lylo cycle (When in day phase which town Might/will loose immediately in if they lynch wrong : there is a player who if lynched might end the game over night/will surely result in scum win), no ability can effect the Votes (Vote modifiers/Vote Blockers), Put on extra or less votes, makes any effect in wagons or the vote count. No day-killing ability might work. Some abilities might have some related restrictions as well.

The votes which are casted by abilities are not treated like the main vote by default and will stay on the target even if the caster die (for example if enchantress dies and an impetus is already on its way , it will still put down the effect.) unless it was based on a
bounding ability
. For more information please read the terms dictionary and check DNAR.

The game has no killing flavors or hidden mechanics.

All the heroes so far (37/113) :

StrengthImage Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

AgilityImage Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

IntelligenceImage Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Role PM's legend[d] : active day action
[t] Active twilight action
[n] : active night action
[d & n] : active day or night action
[p] : passive ability ; don't need to be casted
: Ultimate ability , can only be learnt at level 6
[un] : Ultimate ability , can be learnt from level n
[Image n] : Your ability needs n cycles to refresh, it means if you use your ability in night x you can use it again in day n+x

Useful links

New Hero Suggestions

So if you have any idea for improving this crazy setup , you have an idea for any heroes or a new mechanic in this this is the thread you may help me in!ce
Last edited by Frozen Angel on Mon May 29, 2017 7:24 am, edited 90 times in total.
False tears bring pain to those around you
False smile brings pain to one's self

"Frozen Like Your Heart." -Ginngie
Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #1 (isolation #1) » Thu May 05, 2016 3:29 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

:shifty: I will post Crystal Maiden Role pm here for example

[Overrided]
Last edited by Frozen Angel on Sat May 07, 2016 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #3 (isolation #2) » Thu May 05, 2016 5:11 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

For captain mode I was thinking to give players 24 hours to choose a captain (main topic locked team topics open)
and let them pick & ban

but it needs to be planned out carefully :D

and for the cm quote I literally love all of them! The one I put there is one of her rare responses.

Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #6 (isolation #3) » Thu May 05, 2016 5:32 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

well , Thats why its a public thread. what do you think they must do?

Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #7 (isolation #4) » Thu May 05, 2016 5:37 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

I have ideas about 40 of them , didn't think about all of them already . I will share them later :]

Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #8 (isolation #5) » Thu May 05, 2016 5:40 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

In post 2, Katsuki wrote:p.s. CM quote should be SWIFT AS THE WOLVES OF ICEWRACK

I think the one you said is way cuter! I will update her role pm later :]

Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #10 (isolation #6) » Thu May 05, 2016 5:45 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

thats the crazy part of it :D

Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #11 (isolation #7) » Thu May 05, 2016 7:02 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

The reason I'm doing this like this (not just assembling the roles as people usually do in their UPicks) is becuase I want this setup for not being a 1 time used something. I want to people choose their roles themselves (its a upick role) plus I want a challenging picking phase in the game. Its like a greatest Idea mafia with static alignments (not a part of roles) and a picking phase.

Crystal maiden quote updated :D

Earthshaker :

[Overrided]

NotesExample for your ultimate, If player A visits player B and Players C and D visit player A. if you cast your ability on Player A each of the players A , B , C and D will start the next day with 4 votes. If thats Lynched state you will put them at L1 instead.

Notifications and FeedbacksAfter activating Aftershock effect you will receive a feedback : "You have an extra vote sticked to your main vote today."
Last edited by Frozen Angel on Fri May 20, 2016 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #13 (isolation #8) » Thu May 05, 2016 7:53 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

First thx for being the first hero suggester :]

in your suggested Time Dilation who are the nearby players? the one who visit void that night ?

and it can be a simple percentages for chance based passives. maybe 20% for this specific passive

and for chrono I like to expand the idea to something like : You create a blister in time that envelopes your target and whoever visited him in the start of following night , jailing them for 2 nights ; killing one of them at the end of two nights if you choose. The Jail keep will remain even if you die but for the execution you must be alive at the end of the second night.

what do you think?

Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #15 (isolation #9) » Thu May 05, 2016 8:00 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

I will work on the role pm tomorrow then :]

Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #16 (isolation #10) » Thu May 05, 2016 8:20 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

In post 3, Frozen Angel wrote:For captain mode I was thinking to give players 24 hours to choose a captain (main topic locked team topics open)
and let them pick & ban

but it needs to be planned out carefully :D

and for the cm quote I literally love all of them! The one I put there is one of her rare responses.

for the captain mode the problem is there is someone in each team who will know all of the roles in game.

I was thinking about taking 2 additional signups as captains who must choose the picks and bans but won't play the game. they will win if at the end the majority of survivors are from their team or something like that.

any ideas on how this will work out?

Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #17 (isolation #11) » Thu May 05, 2016 6:25 pm

Post by Frozen Angel »

In post 15, Frozen Angel wrote:I will work on the role pm tomorrow then :]

here!

[Overrided]

Time walk : Commuting -> put him in no slot
Time Dilation : Disabling
Time lock : Action Block
Chronosphere : Disabling , Action block , Protective , Investigative , Killing

NotesIf void cast Time walk , he can't kill anyone (not in his chrono , nor a factional kill).

Chronosphere will continue jail keeping people during the day But it won't stop a lynch or voting ability.
Chronosphere Jail Keep posses all other passives even Agility main runaway.
Void must be alive at the end of the second night to perform a kill on the jailed people.
Chronosphere jail effect will remain on targeted people even if Faceless void die before its time ends.
Chronosphere Jail effect will start from the next coming cycle. (for example if casted on night 2 , those people are blocked during cycle 3 and 4 and void can kill someone at night 4)
Choronsphere jailed people are target block for the time duration and the people who target them will be considered action block (failed in visiting)

Notifications and Feedbacksjailed people : "Something is stopping you from performing any actions."
Last edited by Frozen Angel on Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:47 am, edited 6 times in total.

Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #18 (isolation #12) » Thu May 05, 2016 6:28 pm

Post by Frozen Angel »

A note Time Dilation won't roleblock , it will freeze the last used ability of the visitors for 2 cycles starting from the next day.

Time lock will work in combination with Time Dilation and factional night kill or any gifted abilities . Chronosphere has a stun by its own.

Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #19 (isolation #13) » Fri May 06, 2016 5:20 am

Post by Frozen Angel »

Enchantress !

LevelTalent Tree
25Impetus (even ongoing ones) will be twice harmful.Whoever your Impetus hit will be effected by Untouchable as well.
20Get one point of Agility.Get one point of Strength.
15Get +7 farm point votes at start of each day phase.You're vote will not be block-able.
10Get on extra point of Intelligence.Nature Attends will effect your whole clan too.

Untouchable [Bounding] : Vote block
Enchant : Neighboring , Investigative
Nature Attends : Protective
Impetus : Vote modifier

Spoiler: Text Version
Enchantress
[Intelligence]:

- Untouchable [p]: Whoever target you at night can't vote you the day after.
- Enchant [n][1c]: Whoever your target visits at night will receive a flower.
- Nature Attends [n][2c]: Heal you and whoever is visiting you from one kill.
- Impetus
[n][1c]: Throw an spear toward your target which will follow them till a night they don't perform an action. They will receive n+1 votes in day after which n is the number of passed nights from hitting.

NotesUntouchable is a Bounding ability means with Enchantress death its effect will get rested. (not that it matters cause it will only make her unvotable :D

Nature Attends is only activated the night its casted and will stop only 1 kill. It is a protective ability (not action block) so its not bypassable with block bypassing utilities.

examples for her ult : she target X and X don't perform an action that night -> X will start next day with an extra vote
She target X in night 1. X perform an action night 1 , 2 but don't perform any (for example for getting roleblocked) at night 3 ,X will start day 4 with 3 votes.
Impatus votes will be marked as [Impatus]

her ultimate ability might stack. (she can target same person more than once).

Her ability can't lynch a player on its own and will put that player in L1.

Notifications and FeedbackWhen people receive a flower they will be notified like "Last night someone sent you a flower!"
Last edited by Frozen Angel on Mon May 29, 2017 2:49 am, edited 8 times in total.

Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #21 (isolation #14) » Fri May 06, 2016 3:37 pm

Post by Frozen Angel »

Yeah all the Heroes and Mechanics are already announced. people will pick their heroes though (from more than 100 heroes) so they won't know what heroes are in the game their playing.

Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #22 (isolation #15) » Fri May 06, 2016 5:19 pm

Post by Frozen Angel »

Update 0.01 : 7 May 2016All the active abilities with cooldown will now have a cooldown sign near their titles. the number indicates how many cycles should pass before they can perform that action again. If an ability doesn't have it the action may be performed in the same cycle twice (if motivated) or its passive.

All the players can only perform one action during each cycle normally.

refresh to see the cooldown sign on the role pm's

Frozen Angel
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Frozen Angel
She
Queen Shifty
Queen Shifty

Post Post #24 (isolation #16) » Fri May 06, 2016 6:51 pm

Post by Frozen Angel »

In post 23, Realeo wrote:This is some serious work. If this gets played and this complex mechanism actually works, I'm nominating this for scummies.

My concern:
  • As a game rule writer, I need to say that your icon is your role pm is not obvious enough. What does the [n] or
    means? You need to add legend for it.
  • Don't go for all 144 heroes. As the complexity increases, more mayhem occurs. I suggest you keep the hero limit at 2 x N where N is the number of player.
    Trust me on this one.
    I know you want to create a replayable setup, but instead of shooting all the way to 144, just
    start at 24 heroes and increase 12 every another play
  • I'm having hard time to understand your role PM. So Crystal Median's @ level 1 has no ability, @ level 2 has Crystal nove, @ level 4 has Arcane Area and @ level 6 has Freezing Field. Does that work like that?
  • Can you explain about agility more detailed? I'm having hard time to understand it.
  • According to your rule, my level increase every time I lynch someone from opposing faction. Does this means that if I'm town, I will level up for lynching survivor?
  • Your setup is not friendly for people who doesn't understand Dota.
    Fortunately, all you need to do is make the role well-phrased.
If you posted 18 roles, I will try to print your role pm, do stability test and came back to point problems.

VOTE: Single Draft

If things looking good, I will pre-in despite not knowing how to play Dota at all. I am for one looking forward for this.
Thank you for sharing your concerns!

- I will make those Icons larger for sure :]
- Yeah I was planning to make like 30 and start a game to test them and update the rules if necessary , add 10 , start a new game and things like that.
- players may choose all the abilities without
in level 1/2/4 in whatever order they like. the ability with
is their ultimate ability which they can learn when they reach level 6. they must learn they passives as well.
- I was thinking to change that becuase it seems weird as it stands now. Agility heros are basically faster attacker heroes (lots of them are carry) so their passive should be something about voting or stuff. Maybe I change that to something like :
If you hammer someone you will get an extra level (allowing them to level up if they hammer they own teammates or get two levels if they hammer opposing team)
- Not opposing faction , opposing team. I mean if your in dire half side of player list and if you vote a Radiant player and he get lynched you will level up.
- Sure. My main problem is my English but I will try my best.

and I like to let players decide what kind of picking style they want while their signing up for the game. (for example 4 send all pick , 5 send Single Draft and 1 says All Random) which result in a single draft game.
Last edited by Frozen Angel on Fri May 06, 2016 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.