xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option
Pronoun: they/them

Mini 1867 -- TBD Mafia [game over]

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:24 am

Post by xyzzy »

Last edited by xyzzy on Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:14 pm, edited 29 times in total.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #1 (isolation #1) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:51 am

Post by xyzzy »

Spoiler: pregame rules
here are some rules to guide you during the pregame,
but please note that the precise rules for the game itself can't be finalized until the game actually starts, and that some of the rules below may change slightly!

1. obey all site rules. you can read the site rules here.
  2. do not discuss the game in any capacity outside of this game thread.
  3. do not harass other players in this game. while a certain level of confrontation and argumentation is to be expected in the game itself, don't bring personal vendettas into the game or intentionally try to harm any player.
  4. you will receive a PM with a unique 4-letter string (example: ABCD) randomly generated using this webpage and a link to this questionnaire. you will need to enter the 4-letter string and your username to complete this questionnaire. please do so as soon as possible. failure to complete your questionnaire in a reasonable amount of time may result in your answers not being used; I will post in this thread if I need to impose a deadline for completing the questionnaire.
  5. you may discuss your responses to the questionnaire in this thread if you choose to do so, but I'm going to recommend that you don't do that too much before the game starts, because you might accidentally divulge information that could decrease your odds of winning once the game starts.
  6. once everyone has completed their questionnaire, I will begin work on putting together a setup based on the responses I've received. once that is complete, I will send you a PM with a role. you will need to respond to this PM with a brief explanation of what your role is to confirm that you have read it.
  7. do not use the color #990000.
  8. if you will be away from the site for a significant period of time, please do the following: first, update your "Vacation / Limited Access" info in the User Control Panel; second, PM me to let me know that you'll be V/LA; and third, post in the thread to let the other players know that you'll be V/LA. if the thread is locked, I will let the other players know that you are away when the thread becomes unlocked. if you will be regularly away for specific time periods (for instance, during the weekend), you only need to post that and PM me once, but please clearly state that this will be ongoing when you do so.
  9. I will not edit your posts unless your post breaks the rules in such a way that information needs to be removed from it, in which case I will replace the entire post with the text "removed by xyzzy".
  10. I reserve the right to modify these rules at any time if necessary.

1. obey all site rules. you can read the site rules here.
  2. do not discuss the game in any capacity outside of this game thread.
  3. do not harass other players in this game. while a certain level of confrontation and argumentation is to be expected in the game itself, don't bring personal vendettas into the game or intentionally try to harm any player.
  4. you may discuss your responses to the questionnaire in this thread if you choose to do so.
  5. you should have received a PM with a role from me. you will need to respond to this PM with a brief explanation of what your role is to confirm that you have read it. if you haven't received a PM from me, let me know.
  6. do not use the color #990000.
  7. if you will be away from the site for a significant period of time, please do the following: first, update your "Vacation / Limited Access" info in the User Control Panel; second, PM me to let me know that you'll be V/LA; and third, post in the thread to let the other players know that you'll be V/LA. if the thread is locked, I will let the other players know that you are away when the thread becomes unlocked. if you will be regularly away for specific time periods (for instance, during the weekend), you only need to post that and PM me once, but please clearly state that this will be ongoing when you do so.
  8. I will not edit your posts unless your post breaks the rules in such a way that information needs to be removed from it, in which case I will replace the entire post with the text "removed by xyzzy".
  9. the first day will last 2 weeks, and each subsequent day will last 1 week. nights will last 48 hours, although they can end early if each player asks to end the night early.
  10. to vote, use bold text with the word "vote" followed by a colon and the username of the player you wish to vote for, or use the vote tag with the username of the player you wish to vote for inside. please use the full username of the player you are voting for.
  11. a lynch will occur once the majority number of votes are for a player, and no lynch will occur if either the majority number of votes are for no lynch or the deadline for the day passes.
  12. don't use any sort of cryptography, hidden text, or other similar methods to hide information in the game thread. this is mostly pretty straightforward, but if you're unsure whether something is acceptable, ask me.
  13. attempt to win. there's a chance you'll lose, but do your best to avoid that. deliberately throwing the game is very bad.
  14. once you are dead, do not post in this thread no matter what until the game is over.
  15. if you go 48 hours without posting, I'll send you a prod PM and post in the thread letting everyone know you've been prodded. if you fail to pick up the PM and post in the thread for 48 more hours, you will be replaced. if I need to repeatedly prod you, I may replace you earlier; I will make that clear both in your prod PM and in the thread.
  16. if you need to be replaced, let me know via PM. if you have any information you would like me to pass on to whomever replaces you (strategic advice, the complete
    Bee Movie
    script, etc), send it to me, and I will pass it on.
  17. do not quote any private correspondence with me in this thread.
  18. I reserve the right to modify these rules at any time if necessary.
Last edited by xyzzy on Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #2 (isolation #2) » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:12 am

Post by xyzzy »

all questionnaire links have been sent! the game thread is now open.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #32 (isolation #3) » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:07 pm

Post by xyzzy »

all questionnaire responses are now in! I will begin the process of creating a setup and possibly getting it reviewed very soon!
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #114 (isolation #4) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:02 am

Post by xyzzy »

L
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #115 (isolation #5) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:02 am

Post by xyzzy »

O
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #116 (isolation #6) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:02 am

Post by xyzzy »

C
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #117 (isolation #7) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:02 am

Post by xyzzy »

K
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #118 (isolation #8) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:03 am

Post by xyzzy »

E
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #119 (isolation #9) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:03 am

Post by xyzzy »

D
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #120 (isolation #10) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:03 am

Post by xyzzy »

(roles will be sent out in a few hours)
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #121 (isolation #11) » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:04 pm

Post by xyzzy »

all role PMs have been sent out! the game will commence in about 48 hours
unless
everyone asks to have it start earlier than that! please read your role PM and confirm via PM! I will edit the rules post with details about deadlines, etc. momentarily!
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #122 (isolation #12) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:00 pm

Post by xyzzy »

everyone gathered around to take part in the favorite tradition of the town: spelling out words such as "fucshia" one letter at a time. or is that "fuchsia"? I can never remember. suddenly, though, someone noticed a series of 8.5x11 sheets of paper with one letter each in large text in the Georgia typeface:

KILL ALL TOWNIES

"oh shit," everyone said, except for KainTepes, who said "OH SHIT,,,,"

"I just realized that joke won't fully make sense because I'm using small caps, so you can't tell that KainTepes's dialogue is all caps," said a voice from somewhere unknown.

"we need to find whomever is responsible for this and eliminate them before they murder us," someone said. "also, it would help if we could identify the source of that mysterious voice, but that's an adventure for another day."

"too true," replied someone else. "and nicely done properly using the word 'whomever' in a sentence! a lesser person would've just said 'whoever' and called it a day."

votecount 1.0113 players not voting (drealmerz7, Aristophanes, Desperado, Secret Agent Jin, Gamma Emerald, Davsto, lane0168, KainTepes, ɀefiend, McMenno, FrankJaeger, Narna, SnarkySnowman)

with 13 players alive, it takes 7 votes to lynch

the day will end in (expired on 2017-01-23 18:00:00)

mod notes: whoops! I forgot to explicitly state in the rules that a lynch is achieved when the majority number of votes are for someone's lynch or for no lynch, that no lynch will occur if no majority is reached by the deadline, that you don't need to unvote to move your vote, and that votes need to be on their own line in your posts. all of that was probably self-evident, but now it's in the rules. also, this isn't a hard and fast rule, but
please
try to use players' full usernames whenever voting if possible; acronyms, nicknames, and other things of that sort just make it possible for errors to creep into votecounts, and no one wants that! I also forgot to explicitly state in the rules that
you absolutely cannot make any posts in this thread after you die
. that one's perhaps slightly less self-evident! the important thing, though, is that it is now officially codified in the rules and you all know about it!
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #157 (isolation #13) » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:36 pm

Post by xyzzy »

"I think I've figured something out," someone says.

"you mean about the sheets of paper indicating that someone wants to kill us all?" someone replies.

"no," says the first person. "about the mysterious voice that tells us things. I think it's omnipotent."

"yes," the voice replies. "you are correct in your assessment."

someone else speaks up: "I dunno man. the voice sounds like a real assclown to me."

votecount 1.023 players voting for McMenno (Desperado, lane0168, ɀefiend)
2 players voting for KainTepes (Secret Agent Jin, Aristophanes)
1 player voting for Davsto (McMenno)
1 player voting for Desperado (KainTepes)

6 players not voting (drealmerz7, Gamma Emerald, Davsto, FrankJaeger, Narna, SnarkySnowman)

mod notes: Secret Agent Jin is V/LA until January 16. SnarkySnowman's vote in post was ignored because I am not a valid target for votes.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #185 (isolation #14) » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:52 pm

Post by xyzzy »

"I've figured out an important detail to resolving all of this," someone says excitedly.

"oh?" replies someone else.

"yeah, here's the thing: all of the people here reliably have an opinion on whether dogs or cats are better."

"I don't see how that's useful."

suddenly, the booming voice from the sky interrupts. "I would just like to remind you all that flavor text in votecounts should not be taken as evidence that any detail in the questionnaire correlates to anything that's going on right now. don't read too much into it, y'all."

"besides," says the second person. "we still haven't addressed the issue of what the hell the supposedly omnipotent booming voice in the sky represents, like, on a literary level."

votecount 1.035 player voting for Davsto (McMenno, Narna, KainTepes, Davsto, SnarkySnowman)
3 players voting for McMenno (Desperado, lane0168, ɀefiend)
2 players voting for KainTepes (Secret Agent Jin, Aristophanes)

3 players not voting (drealmerz7, Gamma Emerald, FrankJaeger)

mod notes: Secret Agent Jin is V/LA until January 16.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #273 (isolation #15) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:14 am

Post by xyzzy »

"do you think anyone would notice if I just used the same flavor for two votecounts in a row?" asked the omnipotent sky voice. "I'm not feeling up to putting in effort right now."

votecount 1.043 players voting for drealmerz7 (KainTepes, Davsto, Aristophanes)
2 players voting for McMenno (Desperado, lane0168)
2 players voting for KainTepes (Secret Agent Jin, drealmerz7)
2 players voting for Davsto (McMenno, SnarkySnowman)
1 player voting for lane0168 (Narna)
1 player voting for Desperado (ɀefiend)

2 players not voting (Gamma Emerald, FrankJaeger)

mod notes: Secret Agent Jin is V/LA until January 16.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #294 (isolation #16) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:08 pm

Post by xyzzy »

"do you think anyone would notice if I just used the same flavor for two votecounts in a row?" asked the omnipotent sky voice. "I'm not feeling up to putting in effort right now."

votecount 1.043 players voting for drealmerz7 (KainTepes, Davsto, Aristophanes)
2 players voting for McMenno (Desperado, lane0168)
2 players voting for lane0168 (Narna, Drealmerz7)
1 player voting for KainTepes (Secret Agent Jin)

2 players not voting (Gamma Emerald, FrankJaeger)

mod notes: Secret Agent Jin is V/LA until January 16. Gamma Emerald and Secret Agent Jin have been prodded. the vote in post 290 appears to be the result of a quote tag error, so I've disregarded it.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #330 (isolation #17) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:53 am

Post by xyzzy »

everyone gathers around to hear what one of the townspeople has to say.

"hey," says the townsperson, "maybe the whole conceit of us selecting and killing members of our community through mob justice is both contrived and highly unethical, you know? like we'll almost certainly end up killing someone who is completely innocent. I don't want that blood on my hands."

the rest of the townspeople promptly slap that person while saying in unison, "don't question the premise!"

"I've decided I'm actually okay with this now," says the townsperson. "please just stop slapping me."

votecount 1.053 players voting for drealmerz7 (Davsto, Aristophanes, lane0168)
2 players voting for lane0168 (Narna, Drealmerz7)
1 player voting for McMenno (Desperado)

3 players not voting (Gamma Emerald, FrankJaeger, KainTepes)

mod notes: Secret Agent Jin has requested replacement.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #367 (isolation #18) » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:16 am

Post by xyzzy »

hey, y'all, it'll probably be sometime tomorrow before I can post another vote count, because there's a
Magic: The Gathering
prerelease tonight, and that's going to occupy my next 12 hours or so! so now you know!
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #405 (isolation #19) » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:56 am

Post by xyzzy »

"hey, everyone," said the omnipotent voice in the sky, "you have about 9 days until this day is over! just keep that in mind!"

everyone agrees that that is most certainly not how days work and that the omnipotent voice in the sky isn't very smart.

votecount 1.063 players voting for drealmerz7 (Davsto, Aristophanes, lane0168)
2 players voting for lane0168 (Narna, drealmerz7)

3 players not voting (Gamma Emerald, FrankJaeger, KainTepes)

mod notes: still searching for a replacement for Secret Agent Jin. FrankJaeger has been prodded. Gammma Emerald is V/LA until January 17. please remember when you are V/LA to both post in the thread
and
PM me.
Last edited by xyzzy on Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #411 (isolation #20) » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:51 am

Post by xyzzy »

Azral replaces Secret Agent Jin! thank you, Azral!
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #466 (isolation #21) » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:50 pm

Post by xyzzy »

"hey," someone says. "I think we need to ask one important question: what is the omnipotent voice in the sky's opinion on the dog/cat debate?"

"it's cats," says the omnipotent voice in the sky. "always cats."

votecount 1.073 players voting for drealmerz7 (Davsto, Aristophanes, lane0168)
3 players voting for lane0168 (Narna, drealmerz7, FrankJaeger)
1 player voting for ɀefiend (Azral)
1 player voting for Azral (KainTepes)

1 player not voting (Gamma Emerald)

mod notes: Gamma Emerald is V/LA until January 17 and has been prodded. (note that prods on people who are V/LA come with the caveat of "just try to check in when you can so everyone knows you're still alive", though Gamma Emerald's V/LA should end before that would be strictly relevant anyway.)
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #486 (isolation #22) » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:40 am

Post by xyzzy »

"none of you have actually changed your votes since the last votecount," says the omnipotent voice in the sky, "but there's a couple of prods in the mod notes, so here's another votecount!"

"what the fuck is a votecount, and what the fuck is a mod notes," says everyone in exasperation simultaneously. it's actually pretty impressive.

"well," says the voice in the sky, "wait until I tell you about 'pedits'. that'll blow your minds."

votecount 1.083 players voting for drealmerz7 (Davsto, Aristophanes, lane0168)
3 players voting for lane0168 (Narna, drealmerz7, FrankJaeger)

mod notes: Gamma Emerald is V/LA until January 17 and has been prodded. Narna and Davsto have been prodded. p-edit: Davsto was able to post in the thread in the like 2 minutes between me sending the prod and making this post. good job, Davsto.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #574 (isolation #23) » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:23 pm

Post by xyzzy »

the town ponders the use of minimalism as a narrative device in flavor text.

votecount 1.093 players voting for drealmerz7 (Davsto, Aristophanes, lane0168)
2 players voting for lane0168 (Narna, FrankJaeger)
1 player voting for Aristophanes (ɀefiend)
1 player voting for Desperado (drealmerz7)

mod notes: Gamma Emerald is V/LA until January 17. FrankJaeger has been prodded.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #599 (isolation #24) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:27 pm

Post by xyzzy »

you have reached the bottom of page 24.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #600 (isolation #25) » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:27 pm

Post by xyzzy »

"I haven't really been trying to get pagetops for the votecounts in this game," says the omnipotent voice in the sky.

"that sure is a series of words that literally any of us find remotely comprehensible," says everyone.

votecount 1.103 players voting for drealmerz7 (Davsto, Aristophanes, lane0168)
2 players voting for lane0168 (Narna, FrankJaeger)
2 players voting for McMenno (Desperado, Azral)
1 player voting for Aristophanes (ɀefiend)
1 player voting for Desperado (drealmerz7)

mod notes: FrankJaeger is V/LA until January 23.
Last edited by xyzzy on Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #644 (isolation #26) » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:21 am

Post by xyzzy »

"hey," says the omnipotent voice in the sky. "sorry for not getting a votecount out yesterday! I don't have an excuse for that beyond 'I was feeling lazy,' but, like, I'll try not being lazy in the future?"

"you literally first started talking to us for the first time a few hours ago," someone says. "we cannot reiterate this enough: none of us have any idea what you are talking about."

votecount 1.113 players voting for McMenno (Desperado, Azral, Davsto)
2 players voting for lane0168 (FrankJaeger, drealmerz7)
2 players voting for Aristophanes (ɀefiend, Narna)
1 player voting for drealmerz7 (Aristophanes)
1 player voting for Narna (lane0168)

mod notes: FrankJaeger is V/LA until January 23. Aristophanes is also V/LA until January 23. Gamma Emerald, SnarkySnowman, and FrankJaeger have been prodded.
Last edited by xyzzy on Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #689 (isolation #27) » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:52 pm

Post by xyzzy »

"I accidentally had the last 3 votecounts listed as 1.09," says the omnipotent voice in the sky. "also I've totally not updated the opening post with links to the votecounts in forever. I'm a fucker. I'm a true fucker. I'm a true fucker for life."

"don't go so hard on yourself for whatever it is you're talking about," says someone.

"thanks for saying the things that I wrote you as saying just then," says the omnipotent voice in the sky.

"wait what"

votecount 1.125 players voting for McMenno (Desperado, Azral, Davsto, ɀefiend, drealmerz7)
2 players voting for lane0168 (FrankJaeger, McMenno)
1 player voting for Davsto (SnarkySnowman)
1 player voting for Aristophanes (Narna)
1 player voting for Narna (lane0168)

mod notes: FrankJaeger is V/LA until January 23. Aristophanes is also V/LA until January 23. Gamma Emerald will need to either post in the thread before the deadline or contact me by PM within 24 hours of the deadline, or I will need to seek a replacement for him; if this happens, night will be extended beyond the 72-hour mark, so hopefully I won't need to do that!

also, congrats to lane0168 on successfully becoming engaged!
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #690 (isolation #28) » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:00 pm

Post by xyzzy »

also, KainTepes, Narna, and Aristophanes have been prodded. they will need to PM me if they are unable to post in the game thread before it becomes locked.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #720 (isolation #29) » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:53 am

Post by xyzzy »

"hold on," says McMenno as the rest of the town approaches him. "I really think we need to address the fact that the omnipotent voice in the sky just claimed to control our free will by writing things and then we say the things! no matter what you think about me, we need to figure that out! that's a really big deal!"

then the townspeople killed McMenno because the omnipotent voice in the sky willed that they would not address this issue.

votecount 1.137 players voting for McMenno (Desperado, Azral, Davsto, ɀefiend, drealmerz7, lane0168, KainTepes)
3 players voting for lane0168 (FrankJaeger, McMenno, ????)
1 player voting for Davsto (SnarkySnowman)
1 player voting for Aristophanes (Narna)

the day has ended and night 1 has begun. night 1 will end in (expired on 2017-01-26 09:00:00)

mod notes: Gamma Emerald has 24 hours to PM me, or I will begin seeking a replacement for him.
Last edited by xyzzy on Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #721 (isolation #30) » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:57 am

Post by xyzzy »

"wait," someone says. "before you die, tell us what you know. tell us what you know about the omnipotent voice in the sky."

"it's too late for that, friends," says the omnipotent voice in the sky. the townspeople begin to wonder whether the omnipotent voice in the sky is really a friend. they also begin to wonder what words they can spell one letter at a time tomorrow. their priorities are in place.

McMenno was a third party survivalist! he would have won when only members of one other faction remained alive as long as he was also alive!
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #722 (isolation #31) » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:49 am

Post by xyzzy »

Gamma Emerald has requested to be replaced. if necessary, night 1 will be extended until a replacement is found, with an additional 24-hour period for the replacement to read the thread if fewer than 24 hours would otherwise remain.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #723 (isolation #32) » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:38 am

Post by xyzzy »

Alisae replaces Gamma Emerald. thanks, Alisae!
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #724 (isolation #33) » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:53 am

Post by xyzzy »

everyone wakes up the next day, ready to start another day of figuring out who's trying to kill everyone.

well, maybe not everyone. in fact, a lot of you didn't make it through the night.

you find the bodies floating in a pool of blueberry tea. "dammit," says the omnipotent voice in the sky, "I spent all that time boiling a massive amount of water and acquiring a massive number of tea bags, and now you all went and ruined it with some dead bodies!"

you all examine the bodies and discover that they belonged to Aristophanes, drealmerz7, and lane0168.

Aristophanes was a third party survivalist day 2 vigilante! he would have won when only members of one other faction remained alive so long as he was also alive! also, he could've daykilled someone on day 2 if he'd made it that far!

drealmerz7 was a third party serial killer! he would have won when he was the only player left alive! he also had the ability to gain two pieces of SECRET KNOWLEDGE at any time!

lane0168 was a town double vote maker! he will win if all factions that oppose the town are eliminated! he had the ability to give one player an additional vote for the next day each night!

votecount 2.019 players not voting (Alisae, Desperado, Azral, Davsto, ɀefiend, KainTepes, FrankJaeger, SnarkySnowman, Narna)

with 9 players alive, it takes 5 votes to lynch

day 2 will end in (expired on 2017-02-02 15:00:00)

one very important mod note: several players have received copies of their questionnaire responses (a few players have asked me to give them their responses, and the players who replaced received copies of the responses of the players they replaced). I inadvertently gave one player a copy of another player's questionnaire responses. I do not believe this will have an enormous effect on the game, but I'm letting you all know now that that's the case! I will do my best to make sure that no more errors of this sort happen.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #763 (isolation #34) » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:37 pm

Post by xyzzy »

"wait," someone says. "I think this tea might be salvageable."

just kidding. no one says that. who would ever say a thing like that? there's dead bodies floating in it. come on.

votecount 2.023 players voting for SnarkySnowman (ɀefiend, Alisae, Azral)

6 players not voting (Davsto, KainTepes, FrankJaeger, SnarkySnowman, Narna, Desperado)

xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #822 (isolation #35) » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:13 am

Post by xyzzy »

"you know," someone says, "we never figured out whether the omnipotent voice in the sky's preference for cats is in any way relevant to our current situation."

and then everyone decides to focus on that issue for a while. it's almost certainly a complete waste of time, but you get to spend some time thinking about how good kittens are, so in a way... it was the best possible use of your time???

votecount 2.031 player voting for SnarkySnowman (Alisae)

8 players not voting (Davsto, KainTepes, FrankJaeger, SnarkySnowman, Narna, Desperado, Azral, ɀefiend)

mod notes: hey, please remember that this is a rule in the site rules and that you should follow it: "Derogatory language, including but not limited to language that is particularly offensive to a group of people (e.g. a race, gender, sexual orientation, disability), may be moderated depending on context. Using language or images that use race, gender, sexual orientation or disability to insult or offend is not permitted."
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #857 (isolation #36) » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:43 pm

Post by xyzzy »

due to a death in the family, I'm going to be V/LA for some currently unknown period of time next weekend (the first weekend of February). this may result in one of the day or night phases being extended by a couple of days. I will keep you all up to date.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #879 (isolation #37) » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:23 pm

Post by xyzzy »

"hey," says someone. "because of this whole issue of figuring out who wants to kill us all, we've kind of lost focus on the bigger picture of what words we can spell out one letter at a time."

"that's true," someone else says. "any proposals for what words we could spell out one letter at a time?"

"I was thinking we could just start at the beginning of a dictionary and go from there," says the first person.

"cool, cool, cool, sounds like a plan."

votecount 2.032 players voting for ɀefiend (Alisae, FrankJaeger)

7 players not voting (Davsto, KainTepes, SnarkySnowman, Narna, Desperado, Azral, ɀefiend)

mod notes: KainTepes has been prodded. because he received a prod at the end of day 1 and has not posted in day 2 yet (which has gone for more than 48 hours now), he will be replaced if he does not respond to this prod within 24 hours.
Last edited by xyzzy on Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #946 (isolation #38) » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:31 pm

Post by xyzzy »

"A!"

"A!"

"R!"

"D!"

"V!"

"E!"

"ugh, you got it wrong again. okay, everyone, start from the top."

"A!"

votecount 2.042 players voting for ɀefiend (Alisae, FrankJaeger)
1 player voting for Azral (Desperado)
1 player voting for Alisae (Azral)

5 players not voting (Davsto, SnarkySnowman, Narna, ɀefiend, KainTepes)

mod notes: I will be on flights on Wednesday and Sunday, and I will be at a funeral on Saturday; there may be delays in any game progress during that time period. I have a 5-hour layover on Sunday, though, so I'll almost certainly be able to update things during that time.
Last edited by xyzzy on Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #1023 (isolation #39) » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:05 pm

Post by xyzzy »

the omnipotent voice in the sky posted a votecount from their phone. adding lots of flavor text seemed like it would be difficult, so they did not do that.

votecount 2.053 players voting for Azral (Desperado, Alisae, ɀefiend)
2 players voting for Alisae (Narna, Azral)
1 players voting for ɀefiend (FrankJaeger)

3 players not voting (Davsto, SnarkySnowman, KainTepes)

mod notes: I will be on flights on Wednesday and Sunday, and I will be at a funeral on Saturday; there may be delays in any game progress during that time period. I have a 5-hour layover on Sunday, though, so I'll almost certainly be able to update things during that time.
Last edited by xyzzy on Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #1058 (isolation #40) » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:27 pm

Post by xyzzy »

"hey, y'all," says the omnipotent voice in the sky, "I had sushi for dinner with some friends that I met up with while visiting home and I gotta tell you: sushi is very good."

"that's nice," says everyone. "we don't really care though. we're picking a person to murder!"

votecount 2.064 players voting for Alisae (Narna, Azral, SnarkySnowman, Desperado)
2 players voting for Azral (Alisae, ɀefiend)
1 players voting for ɀefiend (FrankJaeger)

2 players not voting (Davsto, KainTepes)

mod notes: expect at least a moderate extension to the length of night 2 to account for the time that I will be V/LA. ɀefiend has been prodded and will need to PM me if he is unable to post in the game thread before night 2 starts.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #1081 (isolation #41) » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:33 pm

Post by xyzzy »

"okay," says everyone. "we picked a person to murder. you can tell us about the sushi now."

"uh," says the omnipotent voice in the sky, "it was good."

and then they killed Alisae, because, you know, gotta kill somebody. it's what you gotta do

votecount 2.076 players voting for Alisae (Narna, Azral, SnarkySnowman, Desperado, KainTepes, ????)
2 players voting for Azral (Alisae, ɀefiend)
1 player voting for ɀefiend (FrankJaeger)

1 player not voting (Davsto)

day 2 has ended. night 2 will end in (expired on 2017-02-06 15:00:00)

mod notes: it might take me a while to respond to things during the night; I don't anticipate this causing problems for anyone, but if it does, I may extend the night by another day or so. I will PM you all if this is the case.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #1082 (isolation #42) » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:41 pm

Post by xyzzy »

"wait, you guys," says Alisae, "I feel like we've grown really close these past few days. you can't kill me now!"

"okay, first of all," says everyone, "you're not remotely close to us. the Bay Area is nowhere near New Jersey. those aren't remotely close."

"not all of you live in New Jersey probably!"

"okay that's true but stop interrupting. our second point is this: you've only been around for like a day. in fact I'm pretty sure you just straight up replaced that Hulk-themed individual."

"Hulk-themed?"

"yeah. you know. gamma radiation. the color that emeralds are. those are all the key traits of the Hulk. Hulk-themed."

"riiiiiiiiiiiiiii-"

Alisae was suddenly cut off in the middle of this sarcastic response by an acute case of being not alive.

Alisae was a town watcher! he will win if all factions that oppose the town are eliminated!
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #1083 (isolation #43) » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:43 am

Post by xyzzy »

everyone wakes up the next day, ready to start another day of figuring out who's trying to kill everyone.

in fact, it really is everyone! everyone survived! that's cool!

sadly, though, it seems there's no blueberry tea at all, not even the kind with dead bodies floating in it. disappointing.

votecount 3.018 players not voting (Desperado, Azral, Davsto, ɀefiend, KainTepes, FrankJaeger, SnarkySnowman, Narna)

with 8 players alive, it takes 5 votes to lynch

day 3 will end in (expired on 2017-02-13 16:00:00)

mod notes: there are no mod notes. it's a sad day for those who love mod notes.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #1107 (isolation #44) » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:36 am

Post by xyzzy »

"maybe we should try spelling out the words 'dog' and 'cat' one letter at a time to see if any trends arise that might point toward which of us want to kill everyone," someone suggests.

it's a terrible plan, but it is implemented immediately.

votecount 3.022 votes for Azral (Desperado, ɀefiend)
1 vote for KainTepes (Azral)

5 players not voting (Davsto, KainTepes, FrankJaeger, SnarkySnowman, Narna)

day 3 will end in (expired on 2017-02-13 16:00:00)

mod notes: KainTepes has been prodded.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #1141 (isolation #45) » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:55 am

Post by xyzzy »

the plan to spell out the words "dog" and "cat" actually bears fruit almost immediately! it turns out one of you was spelling out the word "KILL" one letter at a time instead! wow!

votecount 3.035 votes for Azral (Desperado, ɀefiend, KainTepes, Narna, ????)
1 vote for KainTepes (Azral)

3 players not voting (Davsto, FrankJaeger, SnarkySnowman)

day 3 has ended, and night 3 will end in (expired on 2017-02-12 09:30:00)

mod notes: note that this lynch occurred before Narna unvoted in post 1138, so that unvote was disregarded.
Last edited by xyzzy on Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #1142 (isolation #46) » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:01 am

Post by xyzzy »

"you can't kill me! I wasn't done helping you all spelling out the word 'dog' one letter at a time yet!" says Azral.

"that's cool and true," someone replies, "except for the part where you tried to convince us that the word 'dog' is spelled 'K-I-L-L'."

"okay but besides that"

and then Azral was dead.

Azral was a mafia goon! he will win when all factions that oppose the mafia are eliminated!
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #1143 (isolation #47) » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:50 pm

Post by xyzzy »

I have reason to believe that there might be issues with PMs not properly being sent in this game, and because this could potentially compromise the integrity of the game, night 3 won't end until I'm confident that there aren't any further issues. please check any messages you've sent me and make sure I picked them up (they should be in your sent messages folder), though please be advised that it's possible I did not receive them even if everything appears to be in order. if I didn't respond to any messages you've sent me, please let me know. I will keep you updated if there are any other developments. thank you.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #1144 (isolation #48) » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:27 pm

Post by xyzzy »

once again, everyone wakes up ready to get to action, and it doesn't seem that anyone died at all. that's certainly fine, because more people participating means more potentially exciting results, and that's why you're all here, right? it's for the sake of excitement.

you all decide to spell out the word "excitement", but people keep thinking the first letter is "x".

votecount 4.017 players not voting (Desperado, Davsto, ɀefiend, KainTepes, FrankJaeger, SnarkySnowman, Narna)

with 7 players alive, it takes 4 votes to lynch

day 4 will end in (expired on 2017-02-20 19:30:00)

mod notes: everything seems to be normal with regards to the possible PM issue, so hopefully the game will continue without any issues. if you PM me and do not receive a response, PM me again, and if you do not receive a PM at any time when you would expect to receive one, please let me know. thanks!
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #1180 (isolation #49) » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:41 am

Post by xyzzy »

"hey," says the omnipotent voice in the sky. "this is votecount 4.02, and that's my birthday if you're in a country where they put the month before the day!"

you all wonder what the omnipotent voice in the sky is talking about since, first of all, the concept of a "votecount" is absolutely meaningless, and second of all, why would someone even live in a country where they don't do it that way???????? c'mon.

votecount 4.021 player voting for SnarkySnowman (Desperado)
1 player voting for Narna (ɀefiend)
1 player voting for ɀefiend (SnarkySnowman)

4 players not voting (Davsto, KainTepes, FrankJaeger, Narna)

mod notes: did you know that if you try to put a poop emoji in the mod notes, this is what happens?
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #1188 (isolation #50) » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:17 pm

Post by xyzzy »

you all carefully spell out the word "valentine's" one letter at a time, and you actually get it right. good work, everyone.

"hey," says the omnipotent voice in the sky, "on a completely unrelated note, I strongly considered writing '17 February in honor of weird British date standards down there in the mod notes."

this new information completely throws off your collective efforts to spell the word "day", because it's completely incomprehensible.

votecount 4.031 player voting for SnarkySnowman (Desperado)
1 player voting for Narna (ɀefiend)
1 player voting for ɀefiend (SnarkySnowman)

4 players not voting (Davsto, KainTepes, FrankJaeger, Narna)

mod notes: KainTepes has been prodded, and will need to respond to this prod within 24 hours. Davsto is V/LA until February 17.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #1227 (isolation #51) » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:39 pm

Post by xyzzy »

flavor text not found

votecount 4.042 players voting for SnarkySnowman (Desperado, ɀefiend)
2 players voting for ɀefiend (SnarkySnowman, Narna)
1 player voting for KainTepes (FrankJaeger)

2 players not voting (Davsto, KainTepes)

mod notes: searching for a replacement for KainTepes. day 4 will not end until a replacement is found, and if there are fewer than 72 hours remaining in the day, the day will automatically be extended to 72 hours remaining. Davsto is V/LA until February 17.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #1228 (isolation #52) » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:35 am

Post by xyzzy »

Infinity 324 replaces KainTepes! thank you, Infinity 324!
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #1271 (isolation #53) » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:57 am

Post by xyzzy »

"hey, everyone," says the omnipotent voice in the sky. "I drove on the 405 once, which I'm only pointing out because this is votecount 4.05. see, the last one was 4.04, so I wrote 'flavor text not found'. those are some of the fun flavor jokes I've included thus far."

"that's a really cool story, but we're pretty busy with this whole killing thing."

votecount 4.054 players voting for SnarkySnowman (Desperado, ɀefiend, Infinity 324, ????)
2 players voting for ɀefiend (SnarkySnowman, Narna)
1 player voting for KainTepes (FrankJaeger)

1 player not voting (Davsto)

day 4 has ended. night 4 will end in (expired on 2017-02-19 14:30:00)

mod notes: a lynch was achieved before Infinity 324's unvote in post 1268, so it was not counted. Davsto is V/LA until February 17. also, be sure to play lots of Marathon Games this weekend!
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #1272 (isolation #54) » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:05 am

Post by xyzzy »

"now, hold on," says SnarkySnowman. I'm pretty sure we haven't fully resolved all these issues with the omnipotent voice in the sky. after all, what if they're the one responsible for all of this trouble?"

"I don't think that's right at all," someone says. "you're definitely the one responsible for this. stop trying to redirect the attention to the omnipotent voice in the sky!"

"actually, it's pretty ironic that you'd--" says SnarkySnowman, suddenly dying.

SnarkySnowman was a mafia redirector! they will win when all factions that oppose the mafia are eliminated!
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #1273 (isolation #55) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:22 am

Post by xyzzy »

"I sure hope no one died last night," someone says. "it's more fun when people don't die."

sadly, that person didn't get their wish. and also, the person who said it definitely wasn't Infinity 324, because Infinity 324 is no longer capable of saying things.

because Infinity 324 is dead.

Infinity 324 was a questionnaire checker, who could see how a particular person responded to a particular question! he will win when all factions that oppose the town are eliminated!

votecount 5.015 players not voting (Desperado, Davsto, ɀefiend, FrankJaeger, Narna)

with 5 players alive, it takes 3 votes to lynch

day 5 will end in (expired on 2017-02-26 15:30:00)

mod notes: none!
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #1289 (isolation #56) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:34 am

Post by xyzzy »

votecount coming after this marathon game that I'm playing is over
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #1290 (isolation #57) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:59 am

Post by xyzzy »

the town decides the best thing to do is spell out the words "process of elimination" one letter at a time, but every time they do, they accidentally end up spelling "Narna" again. well, guess that's as good a reason as any to kill someone.

final votecount3 players voting for Narna (ɀefiend, FrankJaeger, Davsto)

2 players not voting (Desperado, Narna)

with 5 players alive, it takes 3 votes to lynch

"wait," says Narna. "we still haven't addressed the omnipotent voice in the sky and what to do about whomever that is!"

"I feel like it should be pretty obvious," says the omnipotent voice in the sky. "like, this flavor text was never all that complicated or difficult to parse."

"that's true," says everyone else, pretending to understand. "it was always very easy and there was no confusion."

"so anyway," someone says. "we really need to kill Narna, because that's probably the thing that will work best."

"wait," says Narna. "we haven't even had a dramatic confession of love yet! this story can't be any good until that happens, which means you can't kill me yet!"

"okay, first of all," says everyone else, "that is an incredibly obvious stalling technique. I doubt you love anyone, to be honest. second of all, aren't you implying that this story will come to a conclusion as soon as we kill you?"

"the logic all checks out," says the omnipotent voice in the sky, "but I want to hear this supposed love confession first."

Narna begins to speak. "I love..."

"I love..."

"..."

"..."

"...to kill townies. Narna out."

Narna was a mafia SECRET KNOWLEDGE gainer!

with that, all players who oppose the town have been eliminated! the town wins!
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #1293 (isolation #58) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:02 pm

Post by xyzzy »

also, special thanks to the reviewer,
callofjudgement
! the game review thread and the mod thread will be released momentarily.

the mafia and the masons both had private topics as well; they have a 24-hour period to request that any posts of their choice be deleted, after which their threads will be released.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #1295 (isolation #59) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:03 pm

Post by xyzzy »

In post 1294, McMenno wrote:
In post 1293, xyzzy wrote:also, special thanks to the reviewer,
callofjudgement
! the game review thread and the mod thread will be released momentarily.

the mafia and the masons both had private topics as well; they have a 24-hour period to request that any posts of their choice be deleted, after which their threads will be released.
and the SURVIVALISTS
oh yeah those too! also, the dead thread! there's just a whole lot of threads that will be released in 24 hours!
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #1302 (isolation #60) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:10 pm

Post by xyzzy »

setup creation thread: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p8689301
mod thread: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.ph ... 0#p8684350

some notes:

1)the reason Davsto and Desperado were masons was because they both requested to be town, and they were the only ones who requested this. the mafia were all the players who requested to be mafia.
2)the survivalists had a kill and had daytalk, so even though they technically won independently of each other, I treated them as being sort of like a faction together.
3)I invoked the power of "change the game midway through to make things not suck" exactly once--once Narna was the only mafia member remaining, I gave him the option of swapping his night kill immunity for a night kill, which he took. basically, the game reached a point where either Narna would immediately and most assuredly be lynched, or the game would become a total slog that would just drag on for way too long.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #1304 (isolation #61) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:11 pm

Post by xyzzy »

also: TBD Mafia 2: This Time It's A Large Theme Game will probably be a thing at some point in the future!
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #1306 (isolation #62) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:12 pm

Post by xyzzy »

oh also! the ???? votes were from the dead players, indirectly--each night, they got to pick one player who would have an extra vote the next day. the one on day 1 was picked at random to give the illusion that it had been a mechanic the whole game.
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #1311 (isolation #63) » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:16 pm

Post by xyzzy »

yeah, technically one of the requirements for running a large theme game is having played in a large theme game, and while I'm sure I did so 8 years ago, I haven't played any of those since I came back to the site last year, so I'm gonna do that before that happens for sure!
xyzzy
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
xyzzy
they/them
comical third option
comical third option

Post Post #1326 (isolation #64) » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:23 pm

Post by xyzzy »

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”