Professor Hamilton Theodore Schmiggles III's Classroom

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Prof Hamm T Smiggles III
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: January 25, 2017
Pronoun: She

Post Post #0  (ISO)  » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:06 am

This is the classroom of Professor Hamilton Theodore Schmiggles III.

Our first lesson is Persuasion (as Town), which will be in the next post. Students must raise their hands and be called upon before asking questions.
Class is in session.

Prof Hamm T Smiggles III
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: January 25, 2017
Pronoun: She

Post Post #1  (ISO)  » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:16 am

Persuasion (as Town)

If you are town you have three goals:
1. Stay alive.
2. Find scum.
3. Get scum lynched or otherwise killed.

To accomplish your goals you must be able to pursuade others. Common approaches to persuasion include:
1. Screaming
2. Whining
3. Desperate pleading
4. Active lurking combined with naked votes
5. Presenting evidence-based cases that clearly articulate the reasons why a player is of a certain alignment.

Research shows that the first four methods are highly effective persuasion techniques, While the last technique will almost certainly result in your own lynch.
Class is in session.

RadiantCowbells
People tried
 
User avatar
Joined: February 24, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #2  (ISO)  » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:13 pm

I find 1 to be the most effective
If you're Macho and someone tries to rolestop you, you never realise you're being targeted for a kill, so your machismo never gets challenged

randomidget
COTM 2018 Winner
 
User avatar
Joined: February 08, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #3  (ISO)  » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:14 pm

In post 1, Prof Hamm T Smiggles III wrote:Persuasion (as Town)

If you are town you have three goals:
1. Stay alive.
2. Find scum.
3. Get scum lynched or otherwise killed.

To accomplish your goals you must be able to pursuade others. Common approaches to persuasion include:
1. Screaming
2. Whining
3. Desperate pleading
4. Active lurking combined with naked votes
5. Presenting evidence-based cases that clearly articulate the reasons why a player is of a certain alignment.

Research shows that the first four methods are highly effective persuasion techniques, While the last technique will almost certainly result in your own lynch.

i disagree with point 1 of town goals. If you get nightkilled you are doing something right.
vonflare (21:40)
you suck randomidget

Kagami
Team Mafia 2018 Winner
 
User avatar
Joined: November 05, 2013

Post Post #4  (ISO)  » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:03 am

Meh, it's a meta thing.

Firstly, many players rely entirely on tone to make reads, and cases invariably sound flat.

Another major issue is that when you present a "case," you're presenting multiple points against a person. For some strange reason, people generally think it's a valid rebuttal to address primarily your weakest point, and so you're punished for having made more than one point in your argument. The typical solution is just to make one strong point over and over, which often comes across as screaming or tunneling.

You can also make no point at all and relying on others to follow your train of thought without direct assistance, which is actually a pretty reasonable strategy in a game where a verbalized argument may fall flat simply because reasons are often difficult to articulate.

Prof Hamm T Smiggles III
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: January 25, 2017
Pronoun: She

Post Post #5  (ISO)  » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:52 am

In post 3, randomidget wrote:i disagree with point 1 of town goals. If you get nightkilled you are doing something right.


But you ded. And do you trust the other fools in the town to get it right?

Thank you for raising this objection. A future up upcoming topic will address this issue.
Class is in session.

Prof Hamm T Smiggles III
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: January 25, 2017
Pronoun: She

Post Post #6  (ISO)  » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:17 pm

Lesson #2: Persuasion as Scum

Persuasion for scum is nothing more than getting town to believe you are town. Some might argue and say the job of scum is to get town to lynch each other. This ignores the cardinal rule of scum-play: Town is dumb and they will find their own mis-lynches without you guiding them.

There are several approaches to being town-read as a scum player. Popular tactics include:
1) PowerTown
2) 2Scum4Scum
3) Lurky McLurkFace
4) Fly under the radar
5) Play your town meta

Each of these will be effective in fooling certain players at certain times, but there is no one approach that will work consistently across a broad player base. Even playing your town meta is fraught with danger, because if done consistently this becomes your scum meta.

A better approach is to develop an ever-evolving meta that is consistent across alignments that focuses on making good reads and not being lynchbait. A player who has learned to avoid being town lynchbait is a player who can avoid being lynched as scum.
Class is in session.

Prof Hamm T Smiggles III
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: January 25, 2017
Pronoun: She

Post Post #7  (ISO)  » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:18 pm

Also, I should remind the class to please raise your hand and wait until called upon before making comments and asking questions.
Class is in session.

Lycanfire
Mafia Scum
 
User avatar
Joined: June 04, 2016
Pronoun: It

Post Post #8  (ISO)  » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:52 pm

i swear i'm not op btw

pieguyn
Survivor
 
Joined: August 23, 2013
Pronoun: She

Post Post #9  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:15 am

In post 4, Kagami wrote:Another major issue is that when you present a "case," you're presenting multiple points against a person. For some strange reason, people generally think it's a valid rebuttal to address primarily your weakest point, and so you're punished for having made more than one point in your argument. The typical solution is just to make one strong point over and over, which often comes across as screaming or tunneling.

QFT x100.

Gamma Emerald
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: August 09, 2016
Pronoun: He

Post Post #10  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:32 am

Subscribed.
May I substitute teach a class?
Sometimes silence is the loudest thing you can say.
I have a GTKAS! | Old one if you care to see it

Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: July 29, 2015

Post Post #11  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:16 pm

Vaxkiller raises hand
Vaxkiller is not anti-vaccine, he is a killer of Vax machines.

Games played.

Prof Hamm T Smiggles III
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: January 25, 2017
Pronoun: She

Post Post #12  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:21 pm

Gamma is now the graduate assistant for this course.

His first lesson will be on The Effects of Avatar Choice on Your Game.
Class is in session.

Prof Hamm T Smiggles III
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: January 25, 2017
Pronoun: She

Post Post #13  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:21 pm

In post 11, Vaxkiller wrote:Vaxkiller raises hand


Yes Vaxkiller?
Class is in session.

Gamma Emerald
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: August 09, 2016
Pronoun: He

Post Post #14  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:30 pm

The Effects of Avatar Choice on Gameplay
I find that avatar seems to affect the tone of posts. When I had my avatar that was gifted to me in the profile change topic, I felt my posts were less aggressive than when I had Mega Rayquaza as my avatar.
Also, I find avatars have a major effect on pronoun choice. If you have a anime avatar, especially the ones usually used, you will likely be called a she. Please put a pronoun preference in your profile if you are worried about being misgendered due to your avatar.
As for reads, avatars don't really effect reads on you, but are sometimes used as explanations for scumreads anyways. If someone says they scumread your avatar ignore them, as they are most likely scum or town with no case trying to find something.
Happy?
Last edited by Gamma Emerald on Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes silence is the loudest thing you can say.
I have a GTKAS! | Old one if you care to see it

Infinity 324
Survivor
 
User avatar
Joined: April 07, 2013
Pronoun: He

Post Post #15  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:39 pm

In post 6, Prof Hamm T Smiggles III wrote:Persuasion for scum is nothing more than getting town to believe you are town. Some might argue and say the job of scum is to get town to lynch each other. This ignores the cardinal rule of scum-play: Town is dumb and they will find their own mis-lynches without you guiding them.


*raises hand*
Show

Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: November 15, 2015
Pronoun: He

Post Post #16  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:40 pm

In post 14, Gamma Emerald wrote:The Effects of Avatar Choice on Gameplay
I find that avatar seems to affect the tone of posts. When I had my avatar that was gifted to me in the profile change topic, I felt my posts were less aggressive than when I had Mega Rayquaza as my avatar.
Also, I find avatars have a major effect on pronoun choice. If you have a anime avatar, especially the ones usually used, you will likely be called a she. Please put a pronoun preference in your profile if you are worried about being misgendered due to your avatar.

That's boring, what about how it affects if people town or scumread you?
deranged and incoherent
mutters something about missing methyl groups

Prof Hamm T Smiggles III
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: January 25, 2017
Pronoun: She

Post Post #17  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:23 pm

In post 15, Infinity 324 wrote:
In post 6, Prof Hamm T Smiggles III wrote:Persuasion for scum is nothing more than getting town to believe you are town. Some might argue and say the job of scum is to get town to lynch each other. This ignores the cardinal rule of scum-play: Town is dumb and they will find their own mis-lynches without you guiding them.


*raises hand*


Yes, Infinity?
Class is in session.

Prof Hamm T Smiggles III
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: January 25, 2017
Pronoun: She

Post Post #18  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:24 pm

Class feel free to discuss among yourselves this statement from our TA:

In post 14, Gamma Emerald wrote:As for reads, avatars don't really effect reads on you, but are sometimes used as explanations for scumreads anyways. If someone says they scumread your avatar ignore them, as they are most likely scum or town with no case trying to find something.
Class is in session.

randomidget
COTM 2018 Winner
 
User avatar
Joined: February 08, 2014
Pronoun: He

Post Post #19  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:02 pm

if someone's avi matches with their personality I am less likely to scumread them. E.g. NM with weird avis, Alisae with cute avis
vonflare (21:40)
you suck randomidget

Vaxkiller
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: July 29, 2015

Post Post #20  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:55 pm

In post 13, Prof Hamm T Smiggles III wrote:
In post 11, Vaxkiller wrote:Vaxkiller raises hand


Yes Vaxkiller?


Can I go the the bathroom?
Vaxkiller is not anti-vaccine, he is a killer of Vax machines.

Games played.

Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: November 15, 2015
Pronoun: He

Post Post #21  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:01 pm

*raises hand*
deranged and incoherent
mutters something about missing methyl groups

Prof Hamm T Smiggles III
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: January 25, 2017
Pronoun: She

Post Post #22  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

In post 20, Vaxkiller wrote:Can I go the the bathroom?


You may go to the bathroom.
Class is in session.

Prof Hamm T Smiggles III
Goon
 
User avatar
Joined: January 25, 2017
Pronoun: She

Post Post #23  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

In post 21, Raskolnikov wrote:*raises hand*


Yes, Raskolnikov?
Class is in session.

Raskolnikov
Jack of All Trades
 
User avatar
Joined: November 15, 2015
Pronoun: He

Post Post #24  (ISO)  » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:43 pm

Will there be a test?
deranged and incoherent
mutters something about missing methyl groups

Next
[ + ]

Return to Mafia Discussion