Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #125 (isolation #0) » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:58 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Plus you need 8 players for Diplomacy.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #128 (isolation #1) » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:49 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

7 players to play, and one impartial to be the game master.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #132 (isolation #2) » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:42 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

There's even an Octarine variant, for people who like Discworld, like myself.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #135 (isolation #3) » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:42 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Not really. Too much school time to play games lately. And there is a rules patch that needs to be made- diplomacy is way too easy in that game, and very hard to stop. Hugs is too easy; you should at least have to fight sometime.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #138 (isolation #4) » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:45 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

There are rules for playing with less, but I've never found Diplo worthwhile with less than the full seven.

I'm not a huge fan of risk, but I've played the Godstorm variant, and that's pretty good. I've heard good things about 2042 as well.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #232 (isolation #5) » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:59 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So, I've now had cause to play three games of Arkham Horror. Won game 1 because we forgot that you get 2 monsters per gate at 6 players. Lost Game 2 because of The King in Yellow. Then won game 3 with Azertoth at 13 doom counters.

The problem I'm having with the game is that there's a million things to keep track of; we only played with one expansion at a time (Dunwich, then King in Yellow, then Kingsport), and it still felt overwhelming. Maybe if we had more experience, I guess? Still feels like trying to play with multiple expansions would be a real nightmare.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #254 (isolation #6) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:39 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Blood Bowl is pretty awesome. The basic concept is that an NFL rule book fell through a dimensional portal to the Warhammer universe, and the people there thought that NFL was a god who was commanding them to play this game, except they replaced all the parts they couldn't understand with violence.

Like the Troll says, BB Tactics is a fantastic resource for both getting a flavor of the game, and getting good strategy tips. The official rule book is available online from Games Workshop, as well. Blood Bowl Legendary Edition is available cheap on Steam; The Chaos Edition is supposed to be coming out soon, and is said to include the Demons of Khorne and Chaos Dwarves teams; I think rumors were that Hobgoblins and Underworld were being included, too, but I haven't checked in a while. Legendary Edition already contains all the "official" GW teams except the Chaos Dwarves, and there's a reasonable player base for it. We could even try firing up the MS league again, if there's interest.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #256 (isolation #7) » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:24 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Holy shit, it is 40 bucks. That's pretty ridiculous. Couldn't tell you why. Blood Bowl is available online; there's a program called FUMBL or something like that for Blood Bowl, but you'd have to google it.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #257 (isolation #8) » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:09 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So, anyone familiar with Twilight Struggle? I'm trying to gauge it, since it's listed as #1 on BoardGameGeek, and seems really interesting, but I can't seem to find anyone around here who plays it. So I'm kinda looking for somebody willing to play a game of it with me online, or I could even mod a game between two other people on the forums, just to get a view of how the game unfolds. Kind of an odd request, I know, but it's better than spending cash blindly...
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #272 (isolation #9) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:24 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I think the base TtR is good as a gateway, but the 1912 expansion is awesome for actual competitive play.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #280 (isolation #10) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:03 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I'm looking at Dominant Species as my next purchase. Anyone familiar?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #282 (isolation #11) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:49 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Some of us are hardcore, others aren't. Most commonly played games are Race for the Galaxy and Power Grid.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #284 (isolation #12) » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:46 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

How good is it, how is the game play, can it be played with <6?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #303 (isolation #13) » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:28 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Any coop game can be played solo. Since all the players are cooperative anyway, playing all the players by yourself doesn't change a ton.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #311 (isolation #14) » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:09 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Eclipse?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #315 (isolation #15) » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:25 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I just got Nuns on the Run, which is sort of reverse Scotland Yard. That's pretty fun, too.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #322 (isolation #16) » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:42 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

And a lot of it is about figuring out what your opponent is trying to do, and stopping them. I'll put down on the Nashville-Atlanta, New Orleans-Houston, or Toronto-Sault Ste Marie lines, even if I don't need them, just because those are the "choke" points for a lot of other routes, and it can be a long way around.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #353 (isolation #17) » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:08 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Betrayal is a neat game, but I wouldn't use it as a gateway game. If I was trying to get people who've never played a "non-PB" game, I'd start with something either rules light like TTR, or lighthearted, like Munchkin. Or you can go the other way and play something cooperative like Pandemic, where the more experienced can directly help the less experienced (but hopefully not just ordering them around).
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #358 (isolation #18) » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:22 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Yeah. Generally, you want something that's a lot of fun, but has very simple rules, so that the strategy doesn't overwhelm people before they can get hooked. Stone Age is another good one like that.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #381 (isolation #19) » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:11 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Race for the Galaxy, Puerto Rico, Ticket to Ride.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #395 (isolation #20) » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:26 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Space Alert is a game that seems really interesting to me. It's just that my game group is the "Think everything through for 20 minutes on each turn" type, and I'm not convinced that snap decisions would be wise.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #419 (isolation #21) » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:04 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I've been hearing good things about Thunderstone, if you like that style of game.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #423 (isolation #22) » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:56 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I was underwhelmed by Cosmic Encounter. It's really nice, in that it has changing mechanics, but my group is willing to Trade settlements to get both players to 5, which seems like a play flaw.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #425 (isolation #23) » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:06 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I do agree with that. The first few games we played were dominated by the random element and the big flashy powers, but as your group gets more familiar, it becomes more about the diplomatic element.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #431 (isolation #24) » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:51 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I really like Munchkin, but it does have that sort of random part in the beginning, where you're scrambling to find weak monsters to fight for treasure.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #455 (isolation #25) » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:29 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I do remember a game called Weedz or something like that, which was a resource management game where you played as a California Pot Farmer.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #458 (isolation #26) » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:02 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So, played 7 Wonders for the first time. It's pretty cool.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #461 (isolation #27) » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:26 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I've only played base (and only about 4-5 games of that), but I really like Card Drafting as a mechanic, in general. I really enjoy Notre Dame for that reason, too.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #473 (isolation #28) » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:19 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Notre Dame is also a good game, which I believe scales up to 6, is strategic, and features a card drafting mechanic.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #504 (isolation #29) » Sun May 26, 2013 8:54 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Depending on the game, I'd be up to try.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #526 (isolation #30) » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:45 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So, board games with the family. When you play Monopoly, you don't play with the Free Parking lottery rule. All that does is turn a 2 hours game into an all day event.

Also, stop playing Monopoly, it's terrible.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #529 (isolation #31) » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:49 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

It's a great game; I have it with the expansions. The problem I have is that I can't stop my sister from hugging to victory every time we play.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #532 (isolation #32) » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:37 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Battousai wrote:
In post 526, Sudo_Nym wrote:So, board games with the family. When you play Monopoly, you don't play with the Free Parking lottery rule. All that does is turn a 2 hours game into an all day event.

Also, stop playing Monopoly, it's terrible.
I read an article the other day about the fact that most people play Monopoly wrong, which makes it longer. When someone lands on a property and decides not to buy it, it is supposed to be auctioned off.
Yeah. Auctions usually get forgotten, free parking gets thrown in, and it extends the game. Most people forget about component limits- once the bank runs out of houses, they're gone. Plus, if they drop low enough, the last ones get auctioned.
quadz08 wrote:Hugging to victory?
Yeah, if you negotiate, you can trade colonies. She and Miyu would just negotiate every time they had an encounter, and both go to five. Very difficult to stop.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #534 (isolation #33) » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:12 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

The problem is, you only need two people at 4 to encounter each other and have negotiates. Getting to four isn't that hard, since there's little reason by to illustrate on as allies in an attack. Unless the attacker is smart enough not to ally with everyone.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #536 (isolation #34) » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:11 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Auctions for the last houses can change stuff. But generally, there's no good reason not to purchase every property you land on, even if you have to mortgage to do so.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #544 (isolation #35) » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:33 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

But why would they include it, then? If you're never supposed to open it anyway, then couldn't the same effect be achieved at lower cost by simply not including it in the box at all?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #552 (isolation #36) » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:07 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

The secret is to roll the dice.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #561 (isolation #37) » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:07 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I've played Star Wars Risk, and that had a similar timing mechanic, since it was prequel Star Wars, so eventually Palpatine would "Execute Order 66." It also had a "4 players in teams of 2" mechanic.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #570 (isolation #38) » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:46 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Ticket to Ride is a good game; it's an easy game to learn, and it takes a while to get a solid strategy, so there's some room to learn. I would complain that, long-term, there does seem to be a "breaking" strategy in the base game, so I would pick up the 1910 expansion when you're getting more serious about it.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #572 (isolation #39) » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:11 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Well, maybe breaking is too strong. But there are definitely cities and chokepoints on the map that are more valuable than they may initially appear, and once your group learns what the best routes and tickets are, it can turn the game into a race of "who can build there the fastest"
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #580 (isolation #40) » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:21 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

7 Wonders is a great game, but it's very much a card drafting game. I would recommend it, but if your group doesn't like card drafting games, they won't like 7 Wonders. Best board control game for my money is Diplomacy, but that's a game that sucks up the entire night and is pretty hard to learn. Acquire is good, but has a strong element of randomness.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #585 (isolation #41) » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:19 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Diplomacy is awesome, shut your stupid face

Dominion's a deck building game, and it basically made the genre. My friends refuse to play with me anymore, because I buy all of the Villages. Personally, I like Thunderstone a bit better than Dominion anyway.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #588 (isolation #42) » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:07 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 586, zoraster wrote:why would people care what you buy? it's not like they can't buy the exact same things.
Because there's only 10 Villages in a stack, and I will ignore 4s and 5s until all of them are purchased. It's not so much about the Villages specifically, it's that I prioritize all of the +action/+draw cards (which i feel is the optimal strategy, really), so my turns tend to take a lot longer than anyone else does, since I cycle through my deck every turn.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #593 (isolation #43) » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:57 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Chapel-Silver-Village-Moneylender is my standard opening. Once I have those four, I'll buy nothing but either Villages, $5 +action/+draw cards, or Golds until I can afford Provinces every turn.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #598 (isolation #44) » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:30 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

That's an opening; I may pick up terminal cards later. I get Chapel+Moneylender because I really value slimming my deck in the early game, and I can always pitch the Moneylender later. What's with the third degree, anyway?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #601 (isolation #45) » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:19 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I like to fill my deck with Golds and Villages, so that I can buy provinces and terminal actions. Shut up, it's fun.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #603 (isolation #46) » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:39 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Except I almost always win playing my way, so I have no incentive to change. If I were playing on like BSW with high quality players, I'd certainly want to upgrade my play.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #605 (isolation #47) » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:56 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So, who wants to play some Diplomacy?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #607 (isolation #48) » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:18 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Diplomacy offers wider backstabbing potential.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #609 (isolation #49) » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:23 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 608, Mr. Flay wrote:
In post 603, Sudo_Nym wrote:Except I almost always win playing my way, so I have no incentive to change. If I were playing on like BSW with high quality players, I'd certainly want to upgrade my play.
Sounds like your monotonous playstyle annoyed your friends out of playing before they could develop an effective counter. *shrug*
In other words, I've achieved Permanent Victory!
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #622 (isolation #50) » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:05 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Other games which involve sheep include Agricola, Risk, and Galaxy Trucker.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #624 (isolation #51) » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:41 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I suppose it depends on your house rules.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #628 (isolation #52) » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:12 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

7 Wonders doesn't even really have turns. Everyone is drafting more or less simultaneously, and reveals their picks at the same time. So if you want a game with very low idle time, 7 Wonders is among them.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #644 (isolation #53) » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:00 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Monopoly's a shitty game anyway. The gaming world will be better off if people stop trying to compare every game to Monopoly.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #646 (isolation #54) » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:52 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I just think more people would be willing to play Catan if they didn't grow up thinking every board game was like Monopoly.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #659 (isolation #55) » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:45 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Not sure, really. Stone Age is one of the simplest worker placement games of good quality I know of. The only other suggestion I could make is maybe try Carcassone, if they have no experience with worker placement.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #686 (isolation #56) » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:04 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I really like Agricola, because I always enjoy that "I don't have enough time! My board would have been awesome if I'd had one more turn" feeling.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #707 (isolation #57) » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:42 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I've been playing seven wonders on BSW, and I'm really enjoying it. I usually go military and blues, myself.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #709 (isolation #58) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:58 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Sure, but you also have to cop to what cards you get passed, which is probably meta dependent.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #726 (isolation #59) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:21 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Power Grid is one my group's favorite games.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #730 (isolation #60) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:13 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 727, zoraster wrote:i like power grid but i find it a little too fiddly. just so many tiny resource tokens to count out each time and everything.
I don't really have a problem with the resource tokens, since I tend to be obsessive over little fiddly bits anyway. The only thing about the components that really bugs me is that the money is bad; we had to replace it with poker chips.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #755 (isolation #61) » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:33 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Basic Settler of Catan kinda sucks. Settlers of Catan with the Citys & Knights expansion is great.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #847 (isolation #62) » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:39 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I really like Kingsburg, but it's really a much better game with the expansion.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #892 (isolation #63) » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:11 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Galaxy Trucker is awesome, though. I love the panic at the table when you flip the timer for the last time.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #909 (isolation #64) » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:28 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Betrayal never really balances itself, in my experience. Most of the haunts are just chaos, and who it favors varies on the nature of the haunt, the layout of the mansion, the items that have been collected, and how far into the game it triggered. It's almost impossible to know if the game is going to be balanced.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #958 (isolation #65) » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:25 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

It only kinda matters because Train games are a genre all their own, and TTR is a game about trains that isn't actually part of the Trains genre. It's curious, but it doesn't actually matter a ton. Unless you go to a gaming con, and sit down to an actual train game thinking that it'll be like TTR.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #960 (isolation #66) » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:48 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Absolutely. I think that if you're dropping $50+ on anything, you should do research in advance. But you'd be surprised at the number of people who buy games based exclusively on the box art.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #998 (isolation #67) » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:57 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Innovation is pretty great; I've been enjoying Tales of the Arabian Nights a lot recently, though.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1006 (isolation #68) » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:11 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Mage Knight seems like a fun game, if you don't mind spending 2 hours on set up and the whole weekend playing it.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1010 (isolation #69) » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:49 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Smallworld is pretty awesome.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1026 (isolation #70) » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:02 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I love Guillotine as an icebreaker game. It's strategic, but simple, so it's very nice for introducing people to gaming. Same with Chononauts.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1078 (isolation #71) » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:34 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Or, just play a lot of Race for the Galaxy.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1111 (isolation #72) » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:07 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I don't think FD's really been in much outside of Geek and Sundry- she was in a Cheeto's commercial, she was one of the Potentials in the last season of Buffy, she was the star of the the Dragon Age movie, and she was the love interest in Doctor Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog. Plus she created/starred in the web series The Guild. Other than that, I can't think of anything she's actually really done.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1117 (isolation #73) » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:19 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I think she was, though in the later seasons I didn't watch because they weren't on Netflix at the time.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1155 (isolation #74) » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:05 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 1153, Mina wrote:
In post 1151, quadz08 wrote:Pandemic is along the same vein, though it is frustratingly difficult to win.
Huh, if anything, I found it easier than Forbidden Island/Desert when I played it.
I think the problem with Pandemic is that it's impossible to predict difficulty, and it feels so swingy and luck dependent. I've won games on Hard without really trying, and I've lost games on Normal on the second turn before anything could be done about it.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1191 (isolation #75) » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:50 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I wouldn't say that Munchkin is that terrible, but it's not a game with much replayability. My group played it a lot when we first got it, and then put it away and never really was tempted to pick it up again.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1223 (isolation #76) » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:44 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I do like some randomness in board games; one of my favorite mechanics is that of risk management, which is part of why I like Blood Bowl so much. There's stuff beyond your control, and the most effective way to win is to reduce the impact it can have in your strategy.

With Munchkin, the randomness is an issue, though- that's why it never really caught on in our group. The names and illustrations were kind of humorous, but once the novelty wore off, so did the fun.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1242 (isolation #77) » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:08 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Absolutely
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1245 (isolation #78) » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:00 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Sure, so long as it's after like 7-8 BST.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1254 (isolation #79) » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:45 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I'm at BST-8, so 7 BST for me (and other west coasters) would be 11 am. Then the East coast is three hours ahead of me, so it should be 2 pm for Reck and crew.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1264 (isolation #80) » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:48 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

How many expansions are we planning on playing with?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1266 (isolation #81) » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:55 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

No Exodus?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1268 (isolation #82) » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:04 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Fair enough. Daybreak is the only expansion I haven't played, though, so I guess it's time to look it up.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1270 (isolation #83) » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:41 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Fraking meat sacks...
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1288 (isolation #84) » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:17 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Going to echo moat of the above when I say that RftG is fantastic. Personally, I love trying to figure out what my opponents' phase picks are going to be base on their board- when you get it right, you feel like a genius.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1307 (isolation #85) » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:34 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Anyone up for more BSG this Sunday?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1314 (isolation #86) » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:22 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

That's okay; my computer exploded again, so I don't know that I can do Sunday.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1330 (isolation #87) » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:48 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I really like 7 Wonders, but I've only played it 3-4 times, so maybe the repetitiveness hasn't gotten to me?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1333 (isolation #88) » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:41 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

7 Wonders isn't really like any of those games, from my experience. It's much more similar to Notre Dame or a MTG draft, really. I would say the only real similarity is that it requires you to be considering what your opponents can do with the hand you're about to pass them.

By the way, Kingsburg is okay, but it gets way better with the expansion.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1336 (isolation #89) » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:27 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Well, somebody who likes Settlers and TtR is probably just into games, and 7 Wonders is a well-designed one; they're likely to like it on that grounds, even if the games are not mechanically similar.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1383 (isolation #90) » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:01 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I could be into it. My familiarity would depend on the edition, though.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1399 (isolation #91) » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:26 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I disagree with Arkham- I find it fun, and strategy does exist when you know what things can happen where. That said, it's a game that's kinda sloppy in its base and becomes better with expansions.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1417 (isolation #92) » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:22 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Just played Mansions of Madness for the first time. It's a fun game, though the rules seem a little weird. But the roleplaying aspect was nice.

Weirdest context, though- I played MoM at a wedding. Perhaps not the nerdiest possible wedding, but the reception was us eating cake, drinking beer, and playing board games.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1445 (isolation #93) » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:40 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I'd probably be available, but I'll double check.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1453 (isolation #94) » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:51 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Looks like I'm out for Saturday, but I'd be in for Sunday, if we're just aiming for the weekend generally.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1462 (isolation #95) » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:05 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 1458, ChannelDelibird wrote:I'm going to be working until 7 BST on Sunday so does a start time of around 7.30 (2.30PM EST) suit?

I make that four at the moment - would love more but with four we can bring out a Cylon Leader. Muahahahaha.

I have an appointment for 12:00 Sunday, which is 8 BST, and I doubt we finish a game in under an hour. I would need to start around 10 BST to play at all. I also have a dinner that night; it shouldn't interfere with the game, but you never know- as a result, if I need to sit out so the rest of you can play, my feelings won't be hurt.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1549 (isolation #96) » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:24 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

WHen did TSQ become interested in board games?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1568 (isolation #97) » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:07 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I dislike Cosmic. Every game I've played has turned into group-hug or rules-confusion.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1572 (isolation #98) » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:36 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 1569, Brandi wrote:Sudo

I've stopped my hugging ways I swear

That's exactly what a hugger would say!
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1581 (isolation #99) » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:54 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Not tonight, but I'd be in the mood to rustle people up for games tomorrow, if anyone's going to be around.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1583 (isolation #100) » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:31 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

If I ran Shadows over Camelot in Mish Mash, would there be interest in playing it?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1590 (isolation #101) » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:23 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Shadows over Camelot is now in signups
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1624 (isolation #102) » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:06 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I would say that the Medic is great, but only because it minimizes the number of actions you need to spend on cubes. Generally, you don't want to spend more than the minimum number of actions clearing cubes, an ita only worthwhile on places.with three cubes already. So being able to reset a place can make it irrelevant for a large chunk of the game, saving you actions for the rest.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1627 (isolation #103) » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:20 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Dispatcher is also a deceptively powerful role, since you get to save a lot of actions over the course of a game, just efficiently getting people to where they need to be.

I've never played with the Bio-Terrorist, come to think of it. Does it work out well?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1684 (isolation #104) » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:41 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

My favorite Vlaada is Galaxy Trucker, but I don't know if there's anywhere online to play it.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1704 (isolation #105) » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:58 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

You might be able to get away with regular Catan. Obi seems to be able to handle it, and he's around that age.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1717 (isolation #106) » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:17 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Sure, like what?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1722 (isolation #107) » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:38 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

We could play Shadows over Camelot.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1725 (isolation #108) » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:47 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Scotland Yard, kinda?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1773 (isolation #109) » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:13 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I'm down. Like to try playing with the Exodus destination or something, though.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1778 (isolation #110) » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:01 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I think Exodus can be played without the Pursuit board, but I'm not 100% about how people feel about using that board.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1780 (isolation #111) » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:55 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Probably will need to appoint a person to be in charge of it.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1790 (isolation #112) » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:07 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Does The Cure add much to Pandemic?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1795 (isolation #113) » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:20 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

That should work out fine for me. Are we agreed on expansions, while we're at it?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1797 (isolation #114) » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:46 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Fair enough. I don't know that I care for Daybreak yet, since I've only played it once, but we could try playing with the Daedalus/Missions at some point, too.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1800 (isolation #115) » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:55 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Beyond the ability to handle them manually?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1804 (isolation #116) » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:39 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I've played around with it, and it seems you can shuffle them in from the other piles, just not from the human cards. So it would work if we were willing to move the human pile into a different stack, but I don't know how dedicated we are to Final Five.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1809 (isolation #117) » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:11 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I can do either day, so I guess we go whenever is most convenient for the most players.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1817 (isolation #118) » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:33 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So for the purposes of scheduling, I currently have Juls and Prozac as preferring Sunday, CDB available for either but prefering Saturday, Me available for either, and LLD, Nexus, GreyICE, and Patrick with no stated preference.

It looks like Sunday's in the lead, but people should weigh in. I assume we're going around 7 GMT for the sake of our British players? Also, is it GMT or BST now? I don't know if that affects scheduling, but I'm curious.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1820 (isolation #119) » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:59 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Alright, I need to make other plans for the weekend, so I need to call it on this thing. Unless I hear back, I'm going to assume we're playing Sunday, 7 GMT.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1825 (isolation #120) » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:07 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

If I'm counting my tzs correctly, we should be getting rolling around now.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1826 (isolation #121) » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:30 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Congratulations to Big Billy Toast and his son, Little Toast. Go fuck yourselves!
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1829 (isolation #122) » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:27 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

My favorite thing about that game is actually two things:
1) I died in a freak accident in the second turn.
2) Our last second desperation jump served no purpose other than to take victory away from LLD.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1840 (isolation #123) » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:33 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I really like Tales of the Arabian Nights as an RPG, but I'm not convinced it's really a board game. It's like DnD, but with more cardboard.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1853 (isolation #124) » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:05 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Cousin decided to host a game night for Christmas. Had a little trepidation, since most games in this family are Monopoly, but I brought over my stash, got them hooked on Catan. Should be a good start on classing up the joint.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1865 (isolation #125) » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:30 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I've got ticket to ride on Steam, and would be interested in Galaxy Trucker if it's cross platform.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1885 (isolation #126) » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:43 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So I just got back from a gaming vacation, and had a bunch of fun.

Tokkaido:
A new favorite. I really enjoy the design, and it's much improved by having more players instead of the two I normally play with.

Puerto Rico:
An older game, but I've almost never played it. It's fantastic, but I really need more experience with it.

Revolution:
The kind of game I love in concept, but hate actually playing. Bidding games like this one tend to have a snowball effect that I hate, where people who are winning are hard to dislodge, and I find that annoying.

Age of Gods:
Fun but chaotic. The hidden races mechanic is really nice, and allows some sweet plays, but the game is a war game heavily skewed in favor of the attackers, and makes planning out a defense almost impossible.

Kingdom Builder:
I love this game. It's a simple builder with surprising strategic depth, and I have never not had fun playing it.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1894 (isolation #127) » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:47 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So how bout some BSG on Saturday?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1897 (isolation #128) » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:12 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So it turns out that my vacation game of Kingdom Builder is online now, if anybody's interested in stop-motion gameplay (I'm blue, petroleumjelly is white, the other two are non-scummers):

Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1900 (isolation #129) » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:21 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

The problem with 2.30 pm GMT is that it is 6.30 AM PST. We would prefer going somewhat later so that we'll be actually awake.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1902 (isolation #130) » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:24 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Understood, it is merely time zones which are causing an issue. Would 4.30 PM GMT work?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1906 (isolation #131) » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:58 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Which expansions did we want to use? All minus the pursuit board? And what's our destination?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1908 (isolation #132) » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:09 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I also think that we should have been drawing trauma every time Galatica was damaged, which may be why we had so little trauma flying around. Would need to re-read, though.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1912 (isolation #133) » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:05 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

And true valor is on display, as the Battle of the Ionian Nebula ends in total victory! Huzzah!
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1917 (isolation #134) » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:09 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

We've played a bit of Mage Wars, and it seems like a great strategy game, if you're capable of getting into it. Getting into it is an ordeal, though.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1920 (isolation #135) » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:53 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Analysis Paralysis has certainly been a problem in my games- because you can grab any spell from your book instead of drawing random cards from the top, and because recycling spells you've used is harder (impossible?), there's a lot of downtime where people try to figure out what to cast at any given time.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1923 (isolation #136) » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:16 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Lets you cast at instant speed.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1927 (isolation #137) » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:54 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Which becomes important, because you might equip your mage with a sword and use his action to attack, and then use your quickcast to cast a spell.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1929 (isolation #138) » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:15 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Right, though I think the beastmaster can quicksummon creatures as his special.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1931 (isolation #139) » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:13 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Yeah, it's worth noting that Mage Wars has the same golden rule that Magic does.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1949 (isolation #140) » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:58 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

BGA also has Takenoko and Tokaido, both games that I recommend.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1964 (isolation #141) » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:49 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I'm in. Saturday would work slightly better for me. Preferably not at 6.30 am, though.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1968 (isolation #142) » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:31 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 1966, Faraday wrote:Dead of winter is prettttttty cool.

I agree. Socio added it to our gaming circle. Frankly, anybody who doesn't have it should just give up on board games forever.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1970 (isolation #143) » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:47 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Just because it's tomorrow that we're talking about, how about 16:00 GMT as a start time? I assume we're using all the expansions, including the Fleet Board, and heading to Earth?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1972 (isolation #144) » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:25 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Alright, then I misunderstood, but that's fine. Next weekend should be cool.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1980 (isolation #145) » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:30 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

How many people are in? I'm a little wary about Sunday because of the Super Bowl, but if we start early, it should be fine for me.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1986 (isolation #146) » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:46 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Dibs on being a Cylon leader, unless there's the wrong number of players or somebody else picks it or I change my mind or I forget.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1987 (isolation #147) » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:46 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Also, GI+LLD = Sid & Nancy. I'm not sure in which order, though.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1993 (isolation #148) » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:58 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So is there a settled time? It sounds like we're veering towards Sunday; I've been enlisted to ensure that the server doesn't catch on fire or implode or something, so I should be fine to play, but I might be occassionally distracted. Given the speed of decision making some of us have, though, I don't foresee this being a problem
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2001 (isolation #149) » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:10 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

And humanity is lead to victory by Supreme Overlord God of Humanity Louis "Some Fucking Guy" Hoshi.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2003 (isolation #150) » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:02 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I'd probably be into it, but I don't know how many else will.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2005 (isolation #151) » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:01 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I assume this is for today at 18:30 GMT. If it's tomorrow, I'll be at work. I'm assuming we can play in less than 4 hours, since I intend to watch the Super Bowl.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2007 (isolation #152) » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:30 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Great! Let's play Fleet Board and go to Earth!
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2026 (isolation #153) » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:20 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I like the idea of the Blind Jump, but I think you generally lose less from destroying two civvies than you gain from eliminating a whole jump cycle from the game. I don't want to exclude her from future games, but something needs to be done.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2032 (isolation #154) » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:42 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Experienced Queen
is more fun anyway
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2040 (isolation #155) » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:50 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Retrying Battlestar Galactica, after the last game was lost in a hard drive malfunction.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2060 (isolation #156) » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:44 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So, cousins want to do another game night tomorrow. I managed to get them interested in Catan and Ticket to Ride over the last two sessions. What should I bring this time? Maybe 7 Wonders?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2064 (isolation #157) » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:55 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Something in the Coop genre might be a good try, since we haven't done anything like that yet. And will make them feel less bad for losing to me just because I have more experience, which could be good.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2070 (isolation #158) » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:36 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Speaking of, we could always get a game together for one of these weekends, if you like.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2093 (isolation #159) » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:23 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

There's a vassal for Dead of Winter. I'm assuming we mean the civil war game.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2096 (isolation #160) » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:42 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

So we did another family game night, and I managed to get a pair of my aunts in the game. The one figured out trading, but not board control, and the other aunt seemed more interested in just collecting resources. Every turn was "Ooh, I have a five right there!"

Taught them Ticket to Ride as well, and they got ~130 point on a first try.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2103 (isolation #161) » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:19 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I'm in the camp that prefers C&K to the base game; I feel like there's more to do, and more in the way of viable strategies.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2112 (isolation #162) » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:32 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Got back from the game store. Picked up Cities & Knights for my Catan loving cousins, as well as Forbidden Desert.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2130 (isolation #163) » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:58 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 2129, Mr. Flay wrote:I thought everybody knew Pooky was GI.

I'm choosing to interpret this literally.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2150 (isolation #164) » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:47 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

BSG is fantastic. We have a crew that plays it semi-regularly on VASSAL.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2208 (isolation #165) » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:12 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I've been looking at Tabletop Simulator. Any interest in putting a group together for it?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2212 (isolation #166) » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:02 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

In post 2209, xRECKONERx wrote:CDB might be bringing it already, Poro.

I don't see why we'd use Tabletop Simulator when Vassal is better supported and free.

VASSAL is free, but I don't know about better supported. Its great for games that are already on there, but I don't know if people are still making stuff for it. See above about Dead of Winter as an example.

That said, I don't know anything about Tabletop Simulator, only that the idea is one I liked. If people enjoy it and it has the games people want on it, it might be worth it. Maybe it's not. Somebody needs to bring it up, though.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2224 (isolation #167) » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:47 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

For starters, there are a lot of games like Smash Up or Dead of Winter that I'd like to play and are on Tabletop Simulator and aren't on VASSAL. So if I want to play them on VASSAL for free, first I have to figure out how to program a VASSAL Module, then I have to make the VASSAL Module, then I have to host it and wait for a bunch of people to download it. Or, I could just play them on Tabletop Simulator where they already exist.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2266 (isolation #168) » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:17 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I don't think Dead of Winter should take that long; might just have been because it was your first play?

Been continually introducing my cousins to new games, since they've decided to take it up as a hobby. So now I've got them hooked on Galaxy Trucker. Thinking about bringing Betrayal at House on the Hill next, but not sure.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2276 (isolation #169) » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:07 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I have weird feelings about Arkham Horror. I feel like it's not that great a game unless you include an expansion, but if you do include an expansion, you get just a ton of moving parts to deal with. I wish there was like a streamlined version or an app to help with this sort of thing.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2349 (isolation #170) » Thu May 26, 2016 4:14 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I suppose it would depend on the game.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2360 (isolation #171) » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:05 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Saturday 8pm works for me. I'd have to buy TableTop Sim, though- not a big deal, but I'd certainly need heads up if this gets planned so I can download it.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2366 (isolation #172) » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:04 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Twilight Struggle is probably the best 2 player war game.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2418 (isolation #173) » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:42 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Side B Archmage is the name of my Rush cover band.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2454 (isolation #174) » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:45 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I'd be in for this, depending on the time.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2470 (isolation #175) » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:12 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Right, theoretically you should be able to "City hop" by paying the combined connections. You should also be getting up to three plants in a city eventually, so there should be enough locations for somebody to get to 7.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2473 (isolation #176) » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:30 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I think that's the big problem I have. I think you really don't want to buy more than 4-5 plants over the entire game- you might have to buy 1-2 cheap plants just to get income rolling, but after that, you should only be looking to buy plants that you'll keep until the end of the game.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2476 (isolation #177) » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:52 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Played Le Havre last night; I seem to forget how much I enjoy Le Havre until I play it again. Really enjoyable, but I always seem to finish one turn shy of winning. Had an opponent jam the Steel Mill at just the wrong time, and realized to my regret that it meant I would be one turn short of building a Luxury Ship, and that turned out to be the margin of victory. Alas.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2494 (isolation #178) » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:51 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

My advice: buy a woodcutter's axe, carve "Murderin' Axe" into the handle, brandish it meaningfully while suggesting your game of choice.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2507 (isolation #179) » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:34 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

If you like Agricola, Le Havre's from the same designer and it's slightly less complex.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2586 (isolation #180) » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:35 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Don't know what you're talking about; I taught Catan to my family last Christmas, they had no trouble at all. Except for my aunt getting unreasonably excited whenever she rolled a resource.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2594 (isolation #181) » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:46 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I love games like Agricola and Le Havre, where the interaction is based more around blocking sites and anticipating your opponent's strategy. It's like playing chess and a competitive puzzle all at once.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2616 (isolation #182) » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:11 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I agree with Buttons. Race for the Galaxy is designed by the same guy who did San Juan, but after learning from his mistakes. Either go for Race, or go all out on Puerto Rico.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2686 (isolation #183) » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:52 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Stone Age is an easy-ish worker placement game that's simple to teach.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2751 (isolation #184) » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:50 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Personally, I like Forbidden Desert as a co-op. Simple enough that new players can join in, complex enough that you can have discussions about what to do. And there's no traitor involved.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3003 (isolation #185) » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:51 pm

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Isn't that basically what Watch It Played and the BoardGameGeek Cast already do?
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3013 (isolation #186) » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:52 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

If you did the show where the cast plays board games while suspended upside down in gravity boots, I'd watch at least one episode.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3018 (isolation #187) » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:17 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Being serious, I think your big problem is going to be that tabletop gaming is a niche hobby, and the people who find watching other people play a game they're not personally involved in is a subset of that niche. So you want a big viewership, you have to make the show appealing to as much of that base as possible- good production values are a start (watching people play in a dingy basement filmed with their handheld and trying to talk to the builtin microphone is miserable), but it's also got to be light (Tabletop and SU&SD both aggressively edit out a lot of the down time when people are thinking out their turns, to keep things moving). Choice of game is also going to matter a lot; from my experience, there's a lot of games that are very difficult to follow on youtube, because they have a ton of information, or the information isn't displayed very well, and it's hard to get and stay invested if you can't easily tell what's going on. So either play something that's very clear, or invest in making screen overlays that make the information visible to the audience.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3021 (isolation #188) » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:30 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

If that's the gimmick, I'm sure you can make it work- a bunch of people sitting around a table bullshitting while they play can be fun, especially if the audience is primarily fans of the people involved already. Just be aware that it will be frustrating if the audience can't tell what's going on, so make sure the room is well-lit and well-miked so it's clear, and be sure that the game itself is also visible to the audience so they can follow along. I'm big on clarity.

That said, the gravity boots thing would definitely be unique.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3211 (isolation #189) » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:15 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Sure you died, but most people don't even really live, Prozac.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #3295 (isolation #190) » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:04 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Betrayal is definitely a game that's more about the experience than necessarily being a mechanically "fair" game. I've had a lot of fun games of it by playing up the roleplaying aspect more than just worrying about what's strictly optimal.

Return to “The Arcade”