Board Games!

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2625 (ISO) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:21 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 2622, PJ. wrote:Mystic Vale on the short list. It seems really funny and it looks so fucking slick. The clear cards are such a cool idea.
Having just played Mystic Vale for the first time, it's a really cool gimmick but I think the gameplay itself is rather shallow.
green shirt thursdays
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #2626 (ISO) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:48 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

Reck only played it once don't listen to him we didn't have time convert him

join usssssssssssssssssss
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2627 (ISO) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:58 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

the gameplay is soooo shallow
green shirt thursdays
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #2628 (ISO) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:16 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

Spoiler: put this on ur head
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2629 (ISO) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:50 am

Post by PJ. »

Even if what Reck says is true, I think that's actually a selling point in my case, tbh.

The List

Order now because I'm just 100% sold on these: Onirim(good solo), Icecool(FLICKING PENGUINS THAT FUCKING BOUNCE), Mystic Vale(Dope as fuck gimmick and theme)
Order later once the games we just bought + the ones above start to get a little old: Letters of Whitechapel(hidden movement intro), Rococo(Make dresses/Jaipur level 2), 7 Wonders(maybe Duel)(a little bit better of a card drafting game then machi koro), CV(she seemed really interested, i'm 50/50), Hanamikoji (2 player, looks great)
Deep future/general interest from at least my side: Ticket to Ride/Splendor(just cause), Onitama(simply strategy), Tokaido(have a dope vacation!), Santorini(variable player powers in a strategy shell!!), Hanabi(the quiet game), Raptor(great theme), Five Tribes(versatile and good for introducing a few mechanics), Dominion(because it's not an LCG), Alhambra(classic), MechvMinions(these miniatures are dope), Sherlock Holmes(couch cuddle detectives), T.i.m.e stories (couch cuddle not detectives?), Love Letter(pocket game with a cool theme), Dead of Winter(won't consistantly have enough for the traitor game I really want), Sushi Go(pocket game), Coconuts(brainless, fun dexterity game), Specter Ops(the other hidden movement game i liked), Legendary: Marvel(co-op deck building with sperheroes seems good), sushi go(pocket game with a sushi theme), Carcassonne(classic), Catan/catan duel(classic), Neuroshima Hex(cool little strategy game I liked the look of that didn't seem too heavy), Aracne Academy(I am interested in card drafting and this looks dope), Forbiddan Desert/Island(co-op pandemic lite game that seems nice), Bill and Ted's Excellent Board Game(I have not idea what this is or how it plays but..bill and ted, ya know)

Super interested but it's just probably not in the works for various reasons(people limit, money limit, or way past the complexity threshold): Captain Sonar(8 people!!!), Millennium Blades(not sure how many prints this will get and not sure if i know people interested in this), Shadow of Camelot(people), Mage Knight(complex), Netrunner(money/interest of peopel I know), Kingdom Death: Monster(complex), Sekigahara(no one will play this with me)
Last edited by PJ. on Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #2630 (ISO) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:00 am

Post by Andrius »

I'd love to hear more words about Mystic Vale because my impression is basically what RECK said - it seems like a cool gimmick but that's really it.

Re: Panzer's List:
7 Wonders Duel is great for 2-players. Highly recommended.
Mechs v Minions IIRC is a pre-order at the moment since the first wave sold out but, yeah, looks superb.
I've heard a lot of mixed things about TIME Stories. Yes, its highly innovative and unique but you wind up playing the same levels over and over again until you get enough pieces of the puzzle to move on. Never pulled the trigger on that one because of the forced replayability deal. There's a review on BGG that explains it well enough.
Tokaido is brilliant, even with 2. I also highly recommend the Crossroads expansion to make your vacation have even more options/etc.
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2631 (ISO) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:08 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Whitechapel is meh. I like it. But it's not fantastic?

7 Wonders Duel is a better game than 7 Wonders especially if you don't have a ton of people to play with
green shirt thursdays
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2632 (ISO) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:20 am

Post by PJ. »

In post 2631, xRECKONERx wrote:Whitechapel is meh. I like it. But it's not fantastic?
What hidden movement game would you put above it?
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #2633 (ISO) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:29 am

Post by Gammagooey »

In post 2601, PJ. wrote:I posed this question to LLD, but I wanted more of a sound off because one of the games she mentioned immediately jumped toward the top of our list.

So me and my girlfriend have recently been getting into games, the ones we currently own are Machi koro, Patchwork, Jaipur, Pandemic, and Munchkin. We've played a number of the mainstream party games as well and stuff like parcheesi and monopoly, obv. Also, I've played MtG but not really interested in teaching her that. But the question is, what games should we look into/add to that would give us even more variety to what we have and open us up to more themes/mechanics? LLD suggested a hidden movement game and it appealed to us and it's definitely on the list.

The requirements would be: 4-5 players max but probably best played with 2-3 people and preferably not to much more complicated than pandemic(anything rated above a 3.25 on board game geek for complexity is probably going to be a hard sell).
Catacooooooommmmmmmbbbbbsssssss

(it's a lot longer and more of a pain to set up than IceCool but it has pretty much infinite replay value and it works with all of those player counts. Do learn the symbols and put all the stickers on before your first game though, maybe even start with her as one of the stronger Catacomb lords instead of the heroes since without any expansions the catacomb lords are definitely a bit stronger than the base heroes given all the rooms they have to go through.)
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2634 (ISO) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:47 am

Post by PJ. »

Catacombs is my tough sell list for a number of reasons. Long set up/rules phase that would be mostly my responsibility, complex looking enough to turn her off, no penguins, out of print(copies on amazon are 150), no weeble wooble penguins, also games like ice cool and coconuts appeal to me precisely because I can turn my brain all the way off for 30 minutes to an hour to smack some penguins around. Catacombs is not that. I am interested, I do think it's cool, there are just a lot of obstacles.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #2635 (ISO) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:55 am

Post by Andrius »

In post 2633, Gammagooey wrote:Catacooooooommmmmmmbbbbbsssssss
This so much.

I mean, from what Panzer's saying about what he's looking for it doesn't sound like Catacombs would work as good for him+gf, but yeah Catacombs is a great game.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2636 (ISO) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:06 am

Post by PJ. »

Well, issue 1 is getting a copy of it is impossible. Their website is broken, not sure where or how to prepare order it, so the only option is buy it at an exorbitant price. Which is...I don't think this game is gonna be worth 6x more than ice cool.
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #2637 (ISO) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:09 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

In post 2634, PJ. wrote:Catacombs is my tough sell list for a number of reasons. Long set up/rules phase that would be mostly my responsibility, complex looking enough to turn her off, no penguins, out of print(copies on amazon are 150), no weeble wooble penguins, also games like ice cool and coconuts appeal to me precisely because I can turn my brain all the way off for 30 minutes to an hour to smack some penguins around. Catacombs is not that. I am interested, I do think it's cool, there are just a lot of obstacles.
Catacombsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

it's worth the price if you play it more than a few times
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2638 (ISO) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:40 am

Post by PJ. »

150 tho =((((
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2639 (ISO) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:42 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 2632, PJ. wrote:
In post 2631, xRECKONERx wrote:Whitechapel is meh. I like it. But it's not fantastic?
Probably Fury of Dracula, if you're going to play any of them. But even FoD has problems and also takes FOREVER.

Mister X is kind of the "default" one people recommend because it's an updated version of Scotland Yard.

Letters from Whitechapel is good but it kinda just feels like Mister X with needless other modular shit thrown in
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2640 (ISO) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:42 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

i really didnt like catacombs
green shirt thursdays
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #2641 (ISO) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:12 am

Post by Andrius »

In post 2640, xRECKONERx wrote:i really didnt like catacombs
Really? Why not?
Everyone I've played it with loved it. :/
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2642 (ISO) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:23 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 2632, PJ. wrote:
Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space has been a very enjoyable experience when I've played it.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2643 (ISO) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:09 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

I dunno. I usually like Dexterity games. I just felt like there were some points of it that were unfair and I didn't like the "level up" or gear system at all
green shirt thursdays
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #2644 (ISO) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:12 am

Post by Gammagooey »

In post 2638, PJ. wrote:150 tho =((((
mm, could have sworn I saw it for around $40 on board game geek or something but I guess that was just the expansion

You can get the new version (Catacombs and Castles) that's more 1v1 in a single big room (each player gets 2-4 heroes each) for around $75 USD being a late backer for their kickstarter and get that in March/April, but yeah if it's not $40-$60 it miiiight not actually be worth it for you for a while.

@reck- tbf we did play the stun monsters pretty wrong. i basically stunlocked one or two of you when I wasn't supposed to be able to do that.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #2645 (ISO) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:36 am

Post by Andrius »

I think a key for Catacombs is realizing that the bad guy is both bad guy and DM in that he largely controls how difficult (and fun) the levels are as he designs them.

Ala, a Poison-heavy room or a Stun-heavy room is going to make the Heroes very frustrated.
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #2646 (ISO) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:32 pm

Post by Untrod Tripod »

there's also a learning curve

it's one of those games where it's not fun if you're not good at it, so it took me a few games to really enjoy it

plus 1v1 or 1v2 gives you a lot more reps with the discs than 1v4 so there's that as well
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2647 (ISO) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:37 pm

Post by PJ. »

In post 2644, Gammagooey wrote:
mm, could have sworn I saw it for around $40 on board game geek or something but I guess that was just the expansion

You can get the new version (Catacombs and Castles) that's more 1v1 in a single big room (each player gets 2-4 heroes each) for around $75 USD being a late backer for their kickstarter and get that in March/April, but yeah if it's not $40-$60 it miiiight not actually be worth it for you for a while.

@reck- tbf we did play the stun monsters pretty wrong. i basically stunlocked one or two of you when I wasn't supposed to be able to do that.

There is a second edition copy for 60, but I kinda like the 3rd addition art.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #2648 (ISO) » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:40 pm

Post by Andrius »

In post 2647, PJ. wrote:
In post 2644, Gammagooey wrote:

There is a second edition copy for 60, but I kinda like the 3rd addition art.
There are also significant gameplay changes as well.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2649 (ISO) » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:42 am

Post by PJ. »

first playthrough of mystic vale has been daunting, i have a rules question though. How does the fertile soil deck wrk. Do I mix it with the level ones are they it's on seperate deal?

Return to “The Arcade”