Title Fairy: Killer App Edition (Swipe Right!)

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Title Fairy: Killer App Edition (Swipe Right!)

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Sat May 21, 2016 1:23 pm

Post by Chevre »

Hello everyone! I’m Chevre, and as MafiaScum’s resident Title Fairy I hold dominion over this subforum and the distribution of player titles.

What are player titles?

Player titles are the little snippets that are located under each player’s username. For most of us, it’s a pre-determined Mafia role based on post count in Mafia games:
0 posts – Watcher
1 post – Ninja
2 posts – Townie
100 posts – Goon
1000 posts – Mafia Scum
5000 posts – Jack of All Trades
10000 posts - Survivor
However, it is a long-standing tradition on MafiaScum to give out custom titles as gifts to those users who were integral to a notable event or possess notable traits or quirks that make them outstanding members of the community. These titles are often thought of as gifts, and if you understand this basic tenet, you’ll soon see why the long line of Title Fairies haves adopted guidelines to keep this process fair, organized, and running smoothly.

How does a user get a title?

1. ANY user can nominate ANY other user for a title. Of course, this comes with caveats:

- You cannot and should not nominate yourself for a title. You wouldn’t give yourself a special gift such as this! Nominations from others indicates that you’ve done something notable in the MS community that stands out and makes this site a more enjoyable place to be!
- There’s no hard-and-fast rule on how many posts you need to have or how many months you need to have been on the site to be nominated for a title, but we do want to give users time to develop and grow comfortable with the community before we start handing out titles willy-nilly.
2. Upon nomination, the title is up for discussion on its merits and weaknesses.
Users can come out in support of a title if they so choose, or suggest amendments to improve the title. (Not sure what makes a good or bad title? Keep reading!)
3. If a title nomination gains support from five other users, I’ll give my input, and if I approve, I’ll let the user know of their potential title (if they haven’t clued in to the discussion already!) via PM and make sure they approve.
It’s always important to make sure gifts are actually wanted! Meanwhile, the title will remain up for discussion for about 48 extra hours, to work out any remaining discussions and issues.
4. Once the title is approved, I’ll update it! Someone will be the proud owner of a shiny new title that shows their value as a member of MafiaScum.

What makes for a good (or bad) title?

1. Because avatars aren’t permanent, titles related to a user’s avatar are strongly discouraged.
Think of your fellow users as teens constantly going through different fads and stages; you don’t want your gift to get stale in just a few months!
2. While usernames
are
permanent, they shouldn’t be a major reason for any given title.
That being said, usernames can lead to clever wordplay or connotation, so they aren’t totally out of the picture. Essentially, usernames can be SOMEthing to consider, but they most definitely should not be the MAIN thing.
3. Between real-life meetups, Skype, Discord, and other avenues, MafiaScum has a ton of ways for users to interact off-site, and sometimes these interactions generate the best title nomination ideas. However, it’s important that these titles maintain a sense of relevance on MafiaScum beyond the time of the interaction.
If a title isn’t fairly clear from a general read of the user’s posts, there should be a good fraction of users who can explain the reasoning behind a title.
4. While nominations stemming from events, incidents or interactions in the Speakeasy and Get to Know a Scummer subforums are fair game, it’s important to remember that not all members have chosen to have access to these subforums and thus they may not have a wide relevance or appeal.

5. Titles shouldn’t insult, harass, or abuse ANY player.
This, after all, is part of the site rules! Users do have to accept a title nomination, so don’t bother suggesting something that isn’t going to get accepted anyway.
6. Remember how you shouldn’t nominate yourself for a title? Similarly, try not to involve yourself too much if at all in the discussion, support, and amendment process.
As it has been said so many times, these titles can be thought of gifts, and this is kind of like a surprise party. You’re free to return the gift to the store and reject the title at the end, but we’re not going to let you pick your gift right off the shelf.
7. Profanity can be humorous and relevant, but at the moment, it does not have a place in player titles.

8. As with everywhere else on the site, don’t discuss ongoing games and do not use them for title nominations.
Wait until the game has finished—at that point, you may find that the spark-of-the-moment idea you had during the game no longer applies!
9. OK, so that’s a lot of NOs, to be honest. So what
does
make a good title?
There’s no tried-and-true formula, but the best titles combine multiple elements to encapsulate the user in just a few words. They use wordplay in a humorous manner but are by no means forced. If you ask a handful of users why User A has Title Z, at least one should give a solid reason. They have a lasting appeal and accessibility.
10. Branching off the previous point, it is sometimes the case that titles age poorly. In consideration of this, Previously-titled users may be nominated for a new title.
It is important to note, however, that the old title may hold a personal meaning for the user and as such they are free to reject new nominations.

So what is going on here?

- This thread serves as a place for the nomination and discussion of potential titles. Tangents happen, but don’t get too off-topic; we have a wonderful General Discussion just over there for that sort of thing!
- Joking title nominations and jokes are okay—in moderation. We all want to have fun, but it’s important to know our limits and keep discussion title-centric. I have the ability to ban users from posting in the Title Fairy if their posts are not relevant or useful.
- If you have comments, questions, concerns, or suggestions about the Title Fairy process or titles in general, let me know via PM. If I can’t give you a satisfactory answer, or if the issues are above me, speak to zoraster or Thesp.
- The guidelines in this post are always up for reconsideration and amendment as the site changes. That being said, the Title Fairy’s rulings are final.

Titles Awarded

SleepyKrew - Did His Job (5/25/2016)
lalaladucks - Best Newcrummer (6/4/2016)
Cheetory6 - MS Painter (6/9/2016)
GreyICE - Fifty Shades (6/18/2016)
Ranger - {Top Tier} (6/18/2016)
Thestatusquo - Shea (6/18/2016)
BROseidon - Expert Marxman (6/28/2016)
JokeExplainBot - The Joke / Your Head (6/28/2016)
Zulfy - was robbed (6/28/2016)
Psyche - mr. personality (7/13/2016)
Equinox - Shot Count (7/16/2016)
ConManMick - Dear Derry (10/16/2016)
Lady Lambdadelta - Nekonfidante (11/5/2016)
CuddlyCaucasian - Professor of Being a Dog (11/5/2016)
Mina - The Shipwright (11/8/2016)
animorpherv1 - Honey Trap (11/13/2016)
Nahdia - Scheherazade (11/13/2016)
Shadoweh - Idol Hands (1/26/2017)
Killthestory - Rap It Up (2/10/2017)
Pine - In Your Head (2/17/2017)
Frozen Angel - Queen Shifty (2/22/2017)
Firebringer - Trail Blazer (2/22/2017)

Previous Title Fairy threads can be found here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here. Of course, they're all collected in the new Player Titles subforum, so it shouldn't be too hard to go through the archives if you are so inclined. A wiki page which serves to list player titles and their reasonings can be found here.

A special thank you to Sugar, PolarBoy, mathcam, Thok, Oman, TheButtonmen, and SleepyKrew, who held this position before me and made it the wonderful thing it is today!
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #1 (isolation #1) » Sat May 21, 2016 1:33 pm

Post by Chevre »

OK, a few things to begin. First, to start I have pretty much taken SleepyKrew’s guidelines as they were and just reworded them, for the most part. We’ll see if that changes in the future, but I’m inclined to say that I like the way things are set up. Let me know if you see anything in the first post that doesn’t make sense or needs reworking.

Second: Any outstanding bans are going to stay in place for the time being, and I will review these in the near future. From what I can tell, I do not think any bans SleepyKrew made were egregious or out-of-order.
- - -

Let’s start things off with a bang!

If I’m correct, the only real outstanding title nomination on the floor at the moment is Persivul’s nomination of drmyshottyizsik for
BUSSED SO HARD!
I’ll outright say that I am inclined to agree with the ruling of SleepyKrew on this nomination and reject it as a title, for several reasons.

To start with Persivul’s initial reasoning, which concerns Open 634, it’s certainly true that drmyshottyizsik was “bussed so hard.” However, it doesn’t really feel that extraordinary or special. Post-game chats mainly consist of shotty posting “bussed so hard” and not too many people react to it or pick up on it.

Let’s add on the fact that being bussed isn’t necessarily something to celebrate. I could maybe see
Bussin’ So Hard
if shotty was doing the bussing and it was a consistent behavior over games. But all this title discussion is central to just one game. There’s not even a reputation that shotty gets bussed quite often during games on this site. “Bussed” also means that shotty technically isn’t the cause of the moment. Maxous and SirCakez could’ve had pretty much any user as their third scumpartner and bussed them. Who knows, maybe if I had joined this game and posted “bussed so hard!” following my Day 1 lynch, we could be discussing a new title for me instead.

If one looks at the supporters of “Bussed So Hard”, most if not all were somewhat involved in Open 634. I want to compare this to a hypothetical situation where all those involved in Survivor #2016 started nominating CuddlyCaucasian for “good point monica” or something like that. It’s too game-specific. Most people who weren’t in 634 aren’t responding positively to this nomination, so I don’t think it’s a good title, even if it did get 5+ supporters.

As a final note, I think this is a fairly one-dimensional title for a character such as shotty. Its relevance lies in one Open game in which shotty was lynched on Day 1. I think there will be a better, more encompassing fit for a shotty title in the future.

So, as of now, I’m am ending discussion on any permutation of the
bussed so hard
title for drmyshottyizsik.

- - -

The floor is now open for new title nominations.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #45 (isolation #2) » Sun May 22, 2016 10:50 am

Post by Chevre »

Nominee:
SleepyKrew
Title:
Did His Job
Fairy's Opinion:
There's no denying that in his tenure as Title Fairy, SleepyKrew was really put through the ringer by all of us, unfortunately resulting in his resignation just one year into his reign. So even though this title was sent very quickly through the process, I think I will be
approving
it. After reading the last Title Fairy thread yesterday, this title reminds me of all the times kanyeknowsbest told SleepyKrew what a good job he was doing. I like that there is a bit of humor to it, yet it still is sincere: we should most certainly commend SleepyKrew for all the Title Fairy work he did.

So yes, we'll sit on it for 48 hours and I'll make sure SK is truly in approval of this title. I have to admit that I personally like
Snark Attack
more, but
Did His Job
seems pretty good to me as well.

- - -

Nominee:
Cheery Dog
Title:
Kayak
Fairy's Opinion:
I'm not even going to wait 48 hours on this one; I think the change from Kayak to Kayak is a completely necessary amendment. Kayak is truly the embodiment of Cheery Dog, whilst Kayak has problems and is dangerously close to the much more inferior canoe that we all strive to avoid. As we enter into this new era for titles, we should strive to aim for more Kayaks and less Kayaks.

Approved
and already changed. There's no reason to dilly-dally on this one.

- - -

A few things:

Remember that when you "second" something you are technically only the first additional supporter, so consequentially "fifth" is the fourth. This means that We Need a Sixth. Both Did His Job and Kayak had five supporters, but I just want to make sure this is clear in the future.

Also I've had a chance to look over the bans, and I will not be changing anything. They are all set to end in due time, and thus the banned users may get their second chances.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #150 (isolation #3) » Sun May 29, 2016 11:07 am

Post by Chevre »

So I was going to go through and be all, "These are the titles that have had some support so far!" to get us a little back on track. However:

- All iterations of "Kayak" are done. It was a good joke in the moment; don't overdo it.
- I will not support any unbanning-related title for Majiffy. While it is certainly a momentous occasion in MafiaScum history, Majiffy did get banned in the first place and an unbanning at least partially celebrates that.
- I can tell that Venmar was joking with his "title pls" comment. It goes without saying that I won't be giving him the title. Titles based on asking for a title aren't going to approved.

The only one I have any inkling of support for is "Aggressively Loving", but you'd have to prove that Aristophanes is somehow more deserving of this than the bazillion other users on this site who are extremely affectionate.

So that leaves not much within the last few pages or so that's gotten some support. I encourage one and all to think through their nominations carefully before posting.

Happy trails!
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #232 (isolation #4) » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:19 pm

Post by Chevre »

Nominee:
Aristophanes
Title:
Aggressively Loving
Fairy's Opinion:
I've already discussed this title and said that I feel it is not really unique to Aristophanes. There was a good solid list of people who could have a similar title, and there really wasn't a rebuttal to this list. Since there I have not been sufficiently convinced, this title nomination will be
rejected
. I think there will be a much superior idea for Aristophanes in the future.

- - -

Nominee:
lalaladucks
Title:
Best Newcrummer
Fairy's Opinion:
For me, the validity of this title hinges on the meaning of the Crummies overall. Ceremonies like the Scummies are established events that correspond directly to the meat of this site. This is the first year of the Crummies though, and while I have great hope for the event in years to come, there's always the off chance it may not reappear next year. Nevertheless, I feel like MattP's creation holds so much prestige that even if lalaladucks is the one and only winner of the Best Newcomer Award for now and forever, it's very much enough of a moment for me to
approve
this title!

lalaladucks still needs to approve this potential title. Additionally, we'll leave the floor open for 48 hours.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #284 (isolation #5) » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:59 pm

Post by Chevre »

Nominee:
Cheetory6
Title:
MS Painter
Fairy's Opinion:
First off, Errantparabola's reasoning post is beautiful and though I fully accept that it won't happen I would love to see all title nominations go that in depth. I think the general populace would too, as we've seen with Bins' post and maybe it influenced the awesome wave of support for MS Painter, but I think it's also a measurement of how deserving Cheetory6 is of a title that a tableau of users from all nooks and crannies of the site have supported this title in less than 24 hours.

I understand the concern that MS Painter is not clever enough; I wracked my brain all day trying to think of something fun that would incorporate Keely or the Keely chant or Gorkington or what have you. But now I realize that MS Painter is perfect in its blunt simplicity. As it was so wonderfully written in EP's post, this title so beautifully encapsulates what makes Cheetory6 dear to many a heart on MS.

Approved.

Cheetory6 still needs to approve this potential title. Additionally, we'll leave the floor open for 48 hours.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #321 (isolation #6) » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:40 am

Post by Chevre »

As a fledgling fairy, SleepyKrew's advice is welcomed. I'll value it.

And he's right here. I'm not going to award a title that says "you are everything which this site stands against." Titles are honors, not demerits.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #451 (isolation #7) » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:19 am

Post by Chevre »

OK, I’ve hem-hawwed on these for long enough:

Nominee:
Thestatusquo
Title:
Shea
Fairy Opinion:
This title has been the hardest one to judge so far, as you will soon be able to tell by the two-page essay I’ve written on it. I’ve thought about it and considered it and talked with SleepyKrew about it and considered it some more and then I had a dream featuring a scorpion (I don’t think it was a sign, unfortunately) and I guess I have to post something now!

To begin, I feel like everything I say these days relates to ChicagoMeet, but I want to bring up one of my first interactions with KittyMo there. People were calling her both KittyMo and Ariel, so after a bit I asked her: “which do you prefer?” She said “Ariel, in real interaction” and we moved on. It made sense.

I feel like what were dealing with here is a similar situation. Everyone who knows him calls Thestatusquo Shea. He explicitly requests it, and it’s arguable that he is the site user most identifiable by first name. But all that considered, does that make him worthy of his name as a title? And is a first name a good title?

A precedent I recalled was crywolf20084 being approved for “Cayke” which isn’t her real name but it is a nickname. You can see the process here, but it looks like 1) Kaleidoscope’s wonky username donked some of the quotes and 2) it was just a simpler, looser time for titles. I don’t know too much about the specifics, but I do know that almost everyone refers to her as cayke nowadays, still. But, I think had that title arisen now, I would not have accepted it.

Just like “cayke”, one of the main reasons I’m hesitant on this title, and the biggest thing I discussed with SleepyKrew, is that I don’t think it would be too problematic for Shea to just switch to that username. As of last check, the username Shea is still available. The main argument there is that there is a legacy with Thestatusquo that will be lost if he were to switch. I guess I can see that . . . but it also has to be processed through a Chevre-nee-skitzer brain, so there’s a front-and-center argument against it.

The other problem I have is that it’s not a cut-and-dry thing to me that Shea is the preeminent first-name user. Ariel, Ashley, Keely are just three that come to mind immediately. There are others who’ve incorporated it into their username: MattP comes to mind, but you have other people who use initials or mutations of their name.

It is undeniable that Shea is a valued member of the community, and we already know that there is notability enough for a title, since he’s held one in the past. However, to reinstate a title for him and to have that title be Shea, I cannot agree with that. I can’t link enough to that to make it feel special enough for me (though I do think Psyche’s point about how it suggests his personability is a good one). I also am wary of the door that this opens. How insistent do I need to be in saying “I’m Joseph, please don’t call me Chevre,” before I am worthy of a similarly structured title? Let me be clear: this is no fault against Shea, but it is important for me to hold to this policy, because I do not want to see a future where many are asking for titles of this sort and this can be used as precedent.

So, even though the support for this nom was as plentiful and as wide-ranging as Cheetory6’s I will be
rejecting
the title “Shea” for Thestatusquo.

- - -
Nominee:
drmyshottyizsik
Title:
Bussed So Hard
Fairy’s Opinion:
In post 1, Chevre wrote:. . . being bussed isn’t necessarily something to celebrate.
In post 829, drmyshottyizsik wrote:I think after this game I really deserve the title bussed so hard
In post 440, Errantparabola wrote: Well, yeah.
To throw someone under the bus implies that you were their ally before you betrayed them.
In mafia, you really only do that if you're scumpartners with someone because unless you, like, bus your mason buddy or something, i guess that might happen.
Rejected
, once again.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #482 (isolation #8) » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:00 pm

Post by Chevre »

In post 468, Kublai Khan wrote:Maybe we could hit shotty with a real bus?
Do not threaten violence toward another user in my thread, or any thread, for that matter.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #629 (isolation #9) » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:07 pm

Post by Chevre »

No links either. There's a reason those forums are opt-in; so people who don't wish to see such content don't have to see it.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #632 (isolation #10) » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:11 pm

Post by Chevre »

That's true, yes, but it's pretty much policy everywhere else on the site that you don't do it anyway.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #696 (isolation #11) » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:40 pm

Post by Chevre »

I mean, I get it, but I want to know why it pertains to Flameaxe specifically.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #699 (isolation #12) » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:20 pm

Post by Chevre »

Nominee:
Thestatusquo
Title:
Shea
Fairy Opinion:
I've thought this one through and I think I was wrong. Clearly there was a lot of support for the title and a lot of reasoning behind it. I think I've made a mistake by not accepting it the first time around, so I'm
accepting
it now. But I maintain that we shall not go willy-nilly with first-name titles and the like in the future.

- - -

Nominee:
GreyICE
Title:
50 Shades of NICE / Fifty Shades
Fairy Opinion:
Eh? All these really do is attempt to enhance or improve the current title. I agree with Psyche in that 50 Shades of NICE could really be taken out of context a few more months away from ChicagoMeet. It may seem to some that 50 -> Fifty is a small change, but I like it. "Fifty Shades" is just better-looking to me than "50 Shades". So InflatablePie's slight amendment of Fifty Shades is
accepted

- - -

Nominee:
Ranger
Title:
{Top, Tier} and variations
Fairy Opinion:
I'm not really familiar with Ranger, but I like this title! It's pretty signature and representative of her reads, and if they are truly good reads, then it's a very worthy and fitting title. I like it with the brackets because that makes it more unique. I'm
accepting
{Top, Tier}.

- - -

Nominee:
Flameaxe
Title:
This 7
Fairy Opinion:
We had a nice discussion about this title and Flameaxe's current title in the SUPP Discord chat. Ether was there to discuss the old one, "Comma Police"; it's from a post restriction in a marathon game. On the other hand, BPC and Shadoweh (and Reck in thread) have explained "This 7" and how it pertained to SurvivorMeet.

I mean, I had no idea how "Comma Police" was relevant to Flameaxe. And I know we're in the moment of SurvivorMeet, so who knows how quickly this will fade, but I think it is most certainly more fitting than the current title. I also like that "This 7" seems sort of clunky when an outsider looks at it, but it's really easily explained. I'm
accepting
This 7.

- - -

So yeah. Everyone has 48 hours to approve and further discuss these titles!
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #702 (isolation #13) » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:34 pm

Post by Chevre »

I've gone full laissez-fairy
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #740 (isolation #14) » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:21 am

Post by Chevre »

I agree with DRK and co. here. The understanding, or my new understanding, is that TSQ as shea is so deeply ingrained in this site's history and community. If we grant a title that is literally your first name, your preferred name to be called at least by the people you trust on this site, then you would have to be prepared for anyone and everyone to call you Shea, I think.

I don't think it's enough for me to revoke the title again, but I'm certain I will stick to my guns in the future.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #840 (isolation #15) » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:23 am

Post by Chevre »

We should thank zoraster, mostly! He put them in this morning. :)
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #920 (isolation #16) » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:15 pm

Post by Chevre »

Hi, your lazy title fairy here!

- - -

For JokeExplainBot's title, I'm cool with it but I wonder if it could be made more botty? Like

IF (TheJoke)
(YourHead);
THEN

???

- - -

Given the recent examination of how often BRO uses "Savage", maybe
Savage Marxman
?

- - -

and I need more instances of Zulfy being robbed.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #945 (isolation #17) » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:35 pm

Post by Chevre »

OK.

This Joke
Your Head
for JokeExplainBot,

Expert Marxman
for BROseidon,

and
was robbed
for Zulfy are all
approved
. 48 hours commences!
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #978 (isolation #18) » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:12 pm

Post by Chevre »

It's a tricky line.

I will say that normally Psyche is pretty quick to refuse a title, so I was waiting for that; but his ambivalence on this one probably means he's interested!
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #1035 (isolation #19) » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:39 pm

Post by Chevre »

In post 1015, xyzzy wrote:possibly weird request: could I have my title revoked (and have it go to whatever default it would be)? I got this title back in 2007ish because whoever was in charge of actually issuing titles at the time (jeep, maybe?) thought it was a good, funny reference to my username, and I was a dumb teenager so I didn't really care if I had done anything worthwhile to deserve my title. obviously I like the idea of having a custom title, but I'd rather get one that's actually based on my contributions to the site rather than just a reference that I did nothing to earn.
I apologize for not seeing this sooner! Sure thing. I'll remove it once I make this post. (Though it seems a title that grew iconic all on its own . . . )

- - -

I will
approve
Mr. Personality, though I think I like zakk's original nomination the best. It feels the right level of revelatory. Adding quotations just beats it over the head, to me. The lowercase is OK, but I think the original slightly edges it out for me. Whatever Psyche and the crowd want, I suppose. 48 hours!

- - -

SiW's boyfriend
won't be happening. It really reduces those two to one facet when hiplop and SummerInWonderland are such multifaceted members of the community. And though I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, what several have said is correct: it's not permanent, and if heaven forbid it does go sour, it's like a poorly-choiced tattoo.

- - -
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #1093 (isolation #20) » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:50 pm

Post by Chevre »

Approving
"Shot Count" for Equinox. (I would like to mention that I came up with it in SiteChat and then Katsuki TOOK CREDIT)
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #1184 (isolation #21) » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:47 pm

Post by Chevre »

In post 1182, SleepyKrew wrote:
In post 1180, Kublai Khan wrote:I kinda miss the days of Oman telling us we were crap and deleting all the shitposts in the Fairy thread.
it sure is nice when the people with the power clean up the thread yup
Fine. Tell me who will do this job correctly, dogged jabs and all, and by all means, they can do it.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #1238 (isolation #22) » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:38 am

Post by Chevre »

In post 1224, Firebringer wrote:
Nominate Mcmenno for "aren't we all"

I am now prepared for my title fairy ban.
Rejected.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #1357 (isolation #23) » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:24 pm

Post by Chevre »

In post 1246, zakk wrote:
@title fairy:

When I hit 10000 posts, can I just have "Jack of all trades" back, because I like that better
No. Although we say post count is fairly meaningless, I think the automatic titles can give a gauge for newer users to find more experienced people on the site; additionally, they serve as some sort of distinction since not everyone has a unique player title. While 1 person's being changed is OK, I don't want to set a precedent that looses a cavalcade of these requests and could really dent these points. I'm happy to grant new titles and take away given titles, but I don't want to change the natural procession of titles.

- - -

As for beefboy titles:

Beef With Me
doesn't seem to have enough Nths? but if it did, I don't know; it's spurned off of "beefboy", and I get that the beef part did come from a game, but I need more context for the rationale that beeboy is a notably aggressive player.

As for Cheetory6's second suggestion . . . pretty sure it's satirical, and if not, it is far too long and would stretch the site improperly, I believe. So no.

beeboy is a great guy but I feel this beef train is a bit forced. I don't think now is the time for a beeboy title.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #1390 (isolation #24) » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:58 pm

Post by Chevre »

The thing is, to you it may be a string of characters on a silly little website, but for so many people MafiaScum is a community which has irrevocably shaped who they are today. MafiaScum has given them joy, advice, love, and a place to be who they are. And what you may see as a futile bottlenecking of the title process is a tradition of the site that serves to commemorate users for the things they have done here. You may think it has no worth, but it does mean something to so many people.

Sure, it's easy to see when users pop in to this thread and make posts in search of visibility for title consideration, but I like to think I'm good at seeing those people and being much more critical when they are nominated for titles as in: "Is it truly something that the user would've been noted for had they not made their presence known in this thread?" And, I guess even if I'm a bit paranoid and my net catches too many, that's not such a bad thing.

In the end, whatever points of yours that are valid are still supporting an argument for bad posting, which is an argument up with which I will not put. I'm sure the other Title Fairy threads are strewn with their fair share of detritus, but why does that mean we have to make this another trashed beach?
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #1492 (isolation #25) » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:19 pm

Post by Chevre »

Fairy Antagonist
is
rejected
. It literally has "antagonist" in the title; it's not celebrating something positive.

Heard Jamal
is
rejected
. It's something that anyone could do, really, and all that separates Accountant's joke telling from Kappy's ban-worthy posting of "the Longest Joke . . . " was that Accountant didn't do it one big block of text. I'm not sure how many revel in glee when Accountant starts up another joke. Additionally, I like to think I'm a pretty frequent sitechat visitor, but in the ten days since DRK's thread I don't think I've seen him there once, let alone seen one of his jokes. It is not a worthwhile title, in my opinion.

The "perfectly certified" aspect KTS brought up was very neat and clever, but it's not a great fit at the moment and it feels forced. We'll see where time takes us.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #1497 (isolation #26) » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:59 pm

Post by Chevre »

Yes. User bias is when a user actively tries to steer discussion around their nomination; it's totally fine to come out and say you don't like a nomination for yourself.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #1533 (isolation #27) » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:24 pm

Post by Chevre »

I did indeed already reject it.

I just don't think these catchphrase nominations make for good titles. It just seems so low effort, like it's not that hard for me to start up a new account, start saying something for a few months, and then whambam, a title. There aren't a lot of these in the title pantheon anyway.

The biggest example is RachMarie's "HUGS" one, and that one is one of my favorites just because it encapsulates more than what she said, but her whole attitude of positivity and compassion. If a catchphrase is going to be a title, it's going to have to be a good one, but even more, it's really going to have to be more than just the thing they say a lot.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #1672 (isolation #28) » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:08 am

Post by Chevre »

No, it does not. The title fairy thread doesn't need to be constantly active, especially if there aren't any ongoing title nominations.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #1738 (isolation #29) » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:14 pm

Post by Chevre »

So . . . iraonavp doesn't actually align any text when he says someone is town- or scum-aligned? If so this seems like "let's integrate another kooky feature into the titles of today!" Plus I have to agree with several who are saying that it isn't a big enough deal for a title. I'd like links from supporters (and dissenters), if possible.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #1783 (isolation #30) » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:56 am

Post by Chevre »

In post 576, Kublai Khan wrote:"Stop it! You're not having fun in a way that I approve!"
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #1885 (isolation #31) » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:34 pm

Post by Chevre »

Approving
"Dear Derry"
for ConManMick. It feels like a good fit, and I like the wordplay!
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #2001 (isolation #32) » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:52 pm

Post by Chevre »

I feel like I've seen "and they don't stop coming" make sense in more instances than "aren't we all" on this site.

McMenno trolled Psyche last Sunday and as a result I will not consider "aren't we all" for another 65 years. So discussion on this title at the moment is not a worthwhile venture.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #2117 (isolation #33) » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:57 pm

Post by Chevre »

Approve
Nekonfidante
and
Cat Whisperer
. I vastly prefer Nekonfidante, but Cat Whisperer is good too. And I did contemplate the fact that LLD asked for a title, which isn't a thing condoned around here, but given that she was already worthy of a title and the reasoning behind that title is no longer wholly salient, I'm OK with this. 48 hours!

Reject
President Bear
. The "Bear" sentiment fits without a doubt, but I do not get the "President" part. It seems to have sprung up wholly from Papa Zito, or at least, from nothing I can see on the site. I think we can do better.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #2137 (isolation #34) » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:10 pm

Post by Chevre »

tbf firebringer was in the game . . .
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #2181 (isolation #35) » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:36 pm

Post by Chevre »

Approving
Professor of being a dog.
It's hilarious, but the biggest fear is that it's only funny to people who are close to the situation, in this case Survivor: Abridged. Ultimately though, I think the legacy of Kawazu is a story worth telling (a book worth reading, even!) to any potentially confused interactor. I think Solely Survivor is really good for CC, but I don't think a more specific title loses the meaning of that. 48 hours!

(Did
ChestChest-senpai
get 5 nths? I only counted like 2 or so.)
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #2246 (isolation #36) » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:27 pm

Post by Chevre »

Reject
ChestChest-senpai
. Maybe it does fit Natirasha, but I don't really get the joke. It's a little questionable content-wise, and the way in which it was presented a joke nom and got nths, and then got nths just for the sake of nthing when I mentioned something about it, that doesn't ring of sanctity to me. I feel like there was merit in some of the other suggestions though, but they'll need to be explained somewhat because I'm not getting all the references. Sorry to be obtuse!

Accept
The Shipwright
. "Shipwrite" is good with the puns and all, but I think "The Shipwright" just sounds so much more epic, and really transcends to Mina's legacy as a great part of this site. Mostly though, I'm just happy we've found something that ISN'T a short joke, so I'll take arguments on The Shipwright v. Shipwrite. 48 hours!

And though I don't think any of them hit 5 nths, I echo what Xalxe said about his own title: you're going to have to work pretty hard to find something that rings truer to him than his current title. I'm surprised more people didn't come out of the woodwork in defense of "It's Pronounced 'Xalxe'."
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #2247 (isolation #37) » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:35 pm

Post by Chevre »

oh. and I will clear Zulfy's title.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #2401 (isolation #38) » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:50 pm

Post by Chevre »

OK, can someone tell me where Deus Vult arises from? I know there's hot Accountant fracas going on constantly but I can't seem to find it.

And I haven't forgot about Honey Trap, I just want to deal with it alongside this one. :)
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #2433 (isolation #39) » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:14 pm

Post by Chevre »

Reject
Deus Vult
. I mostly agree with Davsto and Psyche on this issue. Accountant's outlook on the world is certainly notable, but it's not something to commemorate. Frankly, I think he's caused a lot people needless agony due to his uncompromising nature. I can't think of a time where it was a joy rather than a point of stress.

I'm still mulling over
Honey Trap
95.7% Noise
feels like a very important title to the site and I'm not sure if this replacement matches its vigour.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #2495 (isolation #40) » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:33 am

Post by Chevre »

Psyche how did you source that list so quickly ugh

Also I'm at work but I'll respond to all of this when I get home
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #2556 (isolation #41) » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:48 pm

Post by Chevre »

Accept
Honey Trap.
I talked to animorpherv1 about this and he did find 95.7% Noise unfitting at this moment in time. While simply removing the title is an option, I think that Honey Trap is a worthwhile replacement. It’s a lovely coincidence that his result was a literal honey trap, and for the forseeable future, the security breach and resulting investigation and bans seem momentous. I get that some can see the dark connotation here, but we all clearly know that ani is setting up dates to find cheating suitors. 48 hours!

---
With regard to the Accountant situation, I stand by what I said. Given how we vet and control the stream of titles on MafiaScum, I don’t see how you can’t view them as rewards, or at least awards for outstanding or joyful behavior. Somehow, condescending titles or titles that represent not-so-lovely qualities such as TheButtonmen’s “Buns of Steel” have been approved by previous fairies, but I do not believe that I will be doing the same. I didn’t approve shotty for Bussed So Hard because it wasn’t good gameplay, even though it was persistent and memetic. I haven’t approved McMenno for Aren’t We All because so many find it an annoying, needless utterance. I won’t approve Accountant for Deus Vult because I don’t see anyone really commending Accountant for this stubborn devotion to a philosophy. It’s by no means wrong to have a set of rules which guide your life, but to incessantly inject it into others’ conversations may be. It’s usually annoying and often upsetting. I know this, because I’ve been that sort of person on this very website, and I still continue to do it from time to time. I wouldn’t want to be rewarded for behavior that so many scummers find displeasing.
Finally, I think that no matter how much you do it, there’s a definite touch of condescension to the title. It’s not as obvious as suggesting FACE for me, but in the future when someone wants Deus Vult explained to them, I feel as though it’s going to be done with a touch of “can you
believe
this guy?” Looking at the list of titles I’ve approved, I believe that each of them demonstrated a level of respect: “We appreciate this user because of something they did or something they continue to do.” Deus Vult does not feel the same.

---
Approve
Scheherazade.
It’s been said in the thread by now but Scheherazade is the storyteller from
One Thousand and One Nights
, and given her Speakeasy thread and just her general tale-telling nature, it’s a really great fit. A tiny part of me pines for a pun, but someone in the thread said that puns aren’t necessary in every title, and I think this is one of those times, because Scheherazade is so perfect. 48 hours!

---
Re: Updating the Title page on the wiki
– I think it’s a wonderful idea, and I actually went through and composed a list of all the titles, in what I’m sure was a much more daunting project than whatever Psyche did remarkably and unexplainably in like 5 minutes. Whatever the case, we now have 2 complete lists between us, so it’s just a matter of doing the wiki work to get it all updated. I do also like the idea of having a separate spreadsheet. The trickiest thing about all of this, other than the time consumed working, is the explanations; for that we might just bluff it for now and then if someone wants to go through the previous Title Fairy threads and source nominations and discussions on the titles, that’d be pretty great. #projects

---
Reject
Shockmaster
. I have a plethora of reasons for this, first of which is his recent ban. Interestingly, the ban does not seem to ban him from Site Ideas nor PMs, so he could totally approve this title (Correction edit: Panzerjager cannot post in Site Ideas). But if we’re honest with ourselves, it’s a ban we’ve seen coming for a week, and despite its relative severity I think we were all expecting a permaban. I don’t really care to reward a user who is currently banned.
Furthermore, I don’t really see Panzerjager as somene who uses shocking humor, per se. To me, he is someone who is of honest opinion and unflinching in his words, and while that sometimes leads to humorous situations, he’s not purposefully saying shocking things for laughs. I feel like once you know Panzerjager, the shocking things become the times where he steps over the boundaries, like in the recent Large Theme or Survivor: LoL. And those are not good things.

---
Re: Anti-Noms
– I reiterate Flameaxe’s point that anti-noms don’t have a legitimate meaning in that when the time comes to add up the nths, I don’t subtract one for every anti-nom. However, what is useful about them is that it shows displeasure with the nomination, and if need be I can contact that person and get their stance and opinion on the measure. It’s cool if you want to just put your reasonings for the anti-nom in the post with it, but I also understand not doing so and keeping it private.

---
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #2581 (isolation #42) » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:32 pm

Post by Chevre »

Riffing on that:
Oracle of 'Dachi
?
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #2584 (isolation #43) » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:40 pm

Post by Chevre »

I mean, I'm a person too.

But like, if more people like Pythia, that's cool too.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #2665 (isolation #44) » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:21 pm

Post by Chevre »

I hate puns, Andrius. Loaf them!
You're batter off just leaven them alone.
At yeast give me something good to work with!
Understanding that others like them is part of my roll as title fairy, dough.
I think I was bread to do this.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #2680 (isolation #45) » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:10 pm

Post by Chevre »

Yeah I skimmed that game and most of it is essentially "mastina stop"
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #2906 (isolation #46) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:11 pm

Post by Chevre »

First of all, please refrain from discussing ongoing games in this thread. That isn't just my policy, it is site policy.
Furthermore, it's unlikely that a game which just ended let alone a game still ongoing has produced something titleworthy. Let it ferment for a bit, and then come back to this thread.

Additionally do not ask for titles. Stay as far away as you can from any in-thread process of discussing a title nomination for yourself. If you have input or ideas, let me know.

- - -

I do not think "Perfect Utopia" is good for Accountant. It's the same sort of deal as Deus Vult, but even less subtle. Convince me, I suppose.

- - -

Also convince me on "No Place Like Home Site" for drealmerz7. As mastina so elegantly put, I don't have experience with this.

In general, the more evidence the better. I cannot be and am not everywhere on this site, so by not being as thorough with supportive stuff for the title, I might have a worse feeling on it than I should.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #2913 (isolation #47) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:03 pm

Post by Chevre »

I have now been spoiled on Death Note, and I am now even more furious.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #2991 (isolation #48) » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:56 am

Post by Chevre »

I prefer
Idol Hands
to Second Commandment, so that's the one I'll
accept
. . . tentatively. Idol Hands can be understood more quickly; like LLD said not only do you have to connect Shadoweh to Idols in Survivor, you also have to connect the second commandment to not worshiping any idols. Additionally, Christian denominations translate the commandment differently, so it's weird.

That being said, Idol Hands is good but I think there is something better out there. I love the Idol Bingo idea that has recently arose, that Shadoweh's accumulating interactions with idols in these games to fill out a card, lol. Like I almost like something simple like "Idol Bingo Regular" or something like that, because it additionally strays away from puns which I do think it's good to have some titles that aren't so punny. So yeah just random thoughts and maybe it's all frou-frou.

So Idol Hands in 48 hours if Shadoweh accepts and if nothing else arises. You know the deal!
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #3157 (isolation #49) » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:14 pm

Post by Chevre »

Accept
Rap It Up
for Killthestory. Not much to say here, I just like it. It fits well and I've seen actual evidence of what it's referencing. Yeah, the pun doesn't really mean anything but it fits.

48 hours!

- - -

I'm inclined to agree with those saying that KainTepes getting that title would encourage bad behaviors. I stand by my earlier thought that we shouldn't give titles to people for behavior that isn't particularly fun or enjoyable. Last I knew, a lot of people didn't care for Tepes' schtick . . . feel free to prove me wrong I guess
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #3232 (isolation #50) » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:39 am

Post by Chevre »

No.

Not only do I think nthing every title is something anybody could easily do, I don't condone titles that stem from the process of titling and the Title Fairy itself. SleepyKrew is the well-worthwhile exception that proves the rule.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #3325 (isolation #51) » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:26 am

Post by Chevre »

No.

1) zoraster removed his own title, so I don't think he's in the market for another one
2) it's a pun for the sake of a pun
3) it like involves lisps which is not relevant, let alone NOT OKAY???
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #3394 (isolation #52) » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:49 pm

Post by Chevre »

Not a major issue, but please be mindful of not posting Speakeasy links. Not everyone has access to that forum!
Also remember that quotes automatically link to posts.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #3411 (isolation #53) » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:13 pm

Post by Chevre »

Accepting
In Your Head
. I also don't have much to say on this one. I'm sure that there's several instances of good gameplay that go titleless, but even I can see the merit in this one, and everyone seems to like it with little dissent.

48 hours!
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #3582 (isolation #54) » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:16 am

Post by Chevre »

Locking this so that I may contend with everyone up until this point.

Accept
Trail Blazer
and
Queen Shifty
. I think both are good titles that have been well described and supported by evidence, simply put. I prefer Trail Blazer over Blazing Trails because the former is truer to the familiar turn of phrase we all know.\

48 hours!

- - -

In other news, somewhat embarrassingly, I have finally come to realize just a mere nine months after the fact that I am not cut out for this position. I am not an assertive person and the person who fills this position has to have some level of assertiveness. I am reminded enough how lax I am everywhere else in life, it's no good to have just tacked on another level here. Not to mention my other issues of stability.

It is my understanding that it is the duty of the outgoing Title Fairy to find their successor, so
if you are interested in this position, please PM me stating why you think you will fit this position well
. I believe that the ideal candidate should be a active social member of this community, in mafia, mishmash, and discussion forums. However, they should be fair and not prone to spats with other users. As I've said, the candidate must be assertive and willing to use power adequately, but not recklessly. Organization and eloquence are a plus.

- - -

It is undeniable that there have been bad times throughout my holding of this role, but there have been so many good times too, and I sincerely thank you all for that. Thank you for the times where you were a considerate, involved community interested in celebrating the users who have made this site such a wonderful place to visit.
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #3583 (isolation #55) » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:18 pm

Post by Chevre »

Update: I am currently in the process of reading through application PMs and picking a new Title Fairy, so you can consider applications closed. I got many more than I expected, but I can't choose all of you; thanks for your involvement in this community!
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #3584 (isolation #56) » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:04 pm

Post by Chevre »