Player Titles - Ideas, Suggestions, & Comments

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #9 (isolation #0) » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:04 am

Post by Davsto »

Okay I have a big bugbear with certain titles which I think that, 90% of the time, are kinda crap. Don't get me wrong - sometimes they're great, there are exception to every rule - but usually they're really not.

Titles based on a single, recent event.

I think that maybe something cool and interesting happened, and people clamour to give a title for it, but the actual thing isn't that memorable and within a few weeks it's no longer a big thing and the title is outdated within a month or two, when titles are supposed to be some longstanding thing that endures for a long time without becoming dated.

I'm not going to say that they should be stopped outright, but I think certain steps could be taken to reduce them, or at least make sure only the really good ones of actually memorable events survive.

My personal idea is that a title based on a recent event (within the last week or from a game which ended within the last week) should be delayed once they gain enough popularity - and then be reintroduced by the Title Fairy within a week or so, and then made to go through the nthing process from scratch. I suppose there's a minor issue of slowing the process down, but I think it would genuinely help boost the quality, because if an event isn't memorable enough to be worth giving a title for just one week after it happens, then it definitely isn't worth a title in the first place.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #12 (isolation #1) » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:15 am

Post by Davsto »

lalalducks - best newcrummer
CuddlyCaucasian - Professor of being a dog
animorpherv1 - honey trap
Shadoweh - Idol Hands
Pine - In Your Head (I think this was just based on one game, right?)

Okay, maybe not 90%, but I'd say that the first and third of those titles are genuinely bad as well as already quite outdated, and the second is pretty weak too.

They're not always bad, but I feel that they're just inherently lower quality than other titles, and yet more likely to get nths as people get all excited and motivated about this thrilling thing what just happened.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #15 (isolation #2) » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:20 am

Post by Davsto »

In post 13, McMenno wrote:
In post 12, Davsto wrote:Shadoweh - Idol Hands
not based on a recent event
and that's one of the good ones, which if anything helps my point :P
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #17 (isolation #3) » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:24 am

Post by Davsto »

In post 16, Creature wrote:Removing someone's title is rude.
Good thing I'm not calling for that
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #22 (isolation #4) » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:30 am

Post by Davsto »

In post 20, Aristophanes wrote:"only titled members deciding who gets titles" crowd.
wait people were actually serious about that

i was under the impression that it was entirely a joke
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #28 (isolation #5) » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:37 am

Post by Davsto »

gasp
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #53 (isolation #6) » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:21 am

Post by Davsto »

In post 50, Korts wrote:An alternative suggestion for handling event-based titles: instead of automatically setting them aside for x days/weeks/months, have some sort of nomination process for putting stuff in limbo, which can be invoked on a case-by-case basis by the title thread community.
You'd likely just get the same people who don't like event-based titles nominating to put them in limbo basically every time one comes up, and it just adds another thing for the title fairy to keep track of
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #55 (isolation #7) » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:39 am

Post by Davsto »

Sure

adding a second nomination process is just making things more complex with likely the same effect as a default limboing
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #87 (isolation #8) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:55 am

Post by Davsto »

In post 84, zakk wrote:I think you should incentivize people who suggest good titles or title ideas somehow.

Back on a game I used to play, people were given a lightbulb icon near their name if they had suggested an update that developers had implemented in the past. Perhaps a similar idea could work here, with a number of lightbulbs under people's names. They could be small and unobtrusive.

This also falls in line with an idea I had to put little medals under peoples names if they had won scummies in the past. They could exist side-by-side, and it could sort of be people's trophy case or something.

Or even if not in the user card on the left of people's posts, it could be in their profile if you click on their username. You would obviously have to talk to the dev team about this, but as the title fairy I think you could make a good argument, which they could understand and respect being that you hold a somewhat elevated position.

P.S. Glad you got made the title fairy. I think you'll make a great one. Also, I'm proud to have titled the title fairy :cool: Also also, I promise not to shitpost in your thread. Good luck. I'm excited for what is to come.
I think "encouraging people to make titles" will increase the noise but not the signal - I.e. lots more titles suggested, but very few more good ones actually get passed.

I do like Psyche's ideas to bring more attention and publicity to the thread itself so more are aware of it (I literally didn't realise it existed for many, many months), but think that offering incentive to come up with titles will result in a large number of crap nominations where people just throw random crap at the wall to see what sticks.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #109 (isolation #9) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:47 am

Post by Davsto »

> Kuroi suggests something
> Literally every single person disagrees with him and says it would be crap
> Psyche ignores everyone else and implements it
> It's crap

I hope this is a joke. Like, incredibly so. I'd be very disappointed if it weren't.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #132 (isolation #10) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:22 am

Post by Davsto »

is this like trump
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #133 (isolation #11) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:22 am

Post by Davsto »

we all start off thinking "it's just a joke" and we all have a good laugh about it

then time passes and we realise "oh no, it's serious"
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #136 (isolation #12) » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:24 am

Post by Davsto »

people panic and break down

there are protests

those which supported the idea slowly realise it's not the dream they hoped but some stand by it despite the mayhem

people wonder what bureaucratic processes allowed this to occur in the first place
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #168 (isolation #13) » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:02 am

Post by Davsto »

it's not that pizza is good with pineapple

its that pineapple tastes better with pizza because you dont have to taste the pineapple as much

Return to “Player Titles”