School Survivor (Game Over, Congrats Hermione!)

Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #18 (isolation #0) » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:19 pm

Post by Skelda »

Hermione you played really well! Congrats. You really deserved it.
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #296 (isolation #1) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:24 am

Post by Skelda »

I mean Dan was the underdog, of course he was going to be the hero. That's just the way it works Bro. When you're on top you're hated, when you're scrambling to survive you're loved.

I think you guys got an incredibly skewed perception of Aria because Aria talked way more to players than she did in her confessional, which is probably part of the problem. I should have copied and pasted more of our conversations into my confessional because she was so raw and genuine and likeable there, but if she isn't like that in confessional it doesn't exist according to you.

I don't think being a spectator means that you necessarily know more than the people in the game, because PMs are like 90% of the action and only a fraction of PMs ever make it to the spectators to read. Like obviously players are going to have incredibly limited views too and some people like me are okay with sometimes being the villain and embracing that role, but hating on Aria is almost like basing your opinion of her entirely on the edit she received on the show. It's easy as viewers of the show or as spectators to feel like you know everything, and especially when you have a ton of spectators who were recently in the game it can really create a spectator forum that's as much a hotbed of emotion as the game. It's really funny reading the spectator threads and seeing you guys complain about the groupthink in the game when the spectator forum turned into the exact same thing with people feeding on each other's emotions and ultimately no one being willing to express an opinion outside of the norm. But these are people we're talking about, they aren't edited characters on your tv screen. And trashing on gameplay is fine and hating the character is fine I guess, but you just have to remember like you would with the show that there's a lot that you aren't seeing and that we're also all generally not horrible human beings. Like, just be mindful that everything that you say will be read by the person you are talking about in a couple months. The same goes for confessionals too, but I do want to encourage authenticity. I just think embracing nuance and not insisting on it being a good guys vs. bad guys thing would make the viewing experience less annoying in general, because there were redeeming qualities in every single player this game.

Like, analyze the gameplay. Was this move good? What might this person have done? I personally love seeing comments about things that I'm doing wrong so that I can try to improve in the future. Simultaneously, however, getting into the mindset where your favorites have to succeed or the season sucks is setting yourself up to be angry with the game that's going to be unfolding because 9 times out of 10, the underdogs fail.

I don't want to be preachy and presumptuous because I've never been a spectator and I definitely made some mistakes this game and said some things that I wish I could take back especially in the Jury threads, but I just feel like if you're not in the game you are in a position to actually be objective, so just spending a large part of the Jury threads complaining about certain players seemed like a squandered opportunity. I'd much prefer seeing more going through every player's perspective and trying to see what moves they could make and speculation about the direction things could go, since as someone who's always been on the player side of things I'd much rather have people speculating about potential decisions that I could have made or what I could have done differently than bitching about me for playing the best that I could.

I'm not really saying anything that hasn't already been said and I loved this game so much, even post-game, but I think in general making the discourse more about the game will focus in on the part that most of us actually care the most about and will create less discontent among the community. This game had so many interesting strategic situations that were exhilarating to maneuver, those should be the emphasis. And if you think the votes were just boring and predictable all season, you weren't looking closely enough.
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #307 (isolation #2) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:44 am

Post by Skelda »

I think Juno would get a very small edit to make her loss not disappointing. Dan is probably the journey edit? Hermione would probably be shielded from the negativity of me/Penny in the edit, and Aria would be the David Wright/Kelley Wentworth/whatever or the Cydney/Rodney, depending on what kind of content she gave them. Going home during a F4 tie probably hurts your edit now that I think about it.

I think Damian's edit is tiny, like FF SDT. Dick and Blair are probably huge narrators for their tribes. Regina and Gabby get lots of content early so that their eliminations are shocking. Mags is Purple Kelly, especially because Aria didn't win and that was her most meaningful interaction.

This is really fun.

And I'm not just saying that she was good at PMing, but that I don't think her confessional tells the full story about how much game she had in her.
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #312 (isolation #3) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:49 am

Post by Skelda »

I think Reck gets a very crafted edit here where the worst parts of his game are attributed to others and he is consistently shown premerge before emerging as a huge player taking out the evil Penny at the merge. Dan's role in that move is probably minimized.
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #315 (isolation #4) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:50 am

Post by Skelda »

In post 310, McMenno wrote:who am I

I mean she had a quote during F5 that was basically "oh shit I have to play survivor now" (about aria)
You're the wacky premerge boot! There's always like a weird memorable person who goes too early, think Vince Sly.
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #316 (isolation #5) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:51 am

Post by Skelda »

McMenno = Wanda!

Mind-blowing.
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #320 (isolation #6) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:58 am

Post by Skelda »

Yeah I wasn't really around for that, so I have no idea. But they don't want the winner emerging too soon. Unless she's going full Tony they'd try to keep her low but still a super solid strategic presence.

I think I probably get a ton of zero confessionals premerge before flaming out post-merge after a massive activity spike. Hermione probably gets more credit for assembling our group on Finn, even though I was calling the shots about the votes there. I wonder if they show Hermione wanting to vote out Maddie and then not being able to convince me? Probably not, though they would want to create some suspense during that episode.

I wonder who the decoy boots each round would be.
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #324 (isolation #7) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:03 am

Post by Skelda »

In post 319, Vijarada wrote:
In post 316, Skelda wrote:McMenno = Wanda!

Mind-blowing.
Wendy>Wanda
Yass Wendy! I love her so much. I felt so bad for her.

Debb is still a better first boot than Wendy though.
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #328 (isolation #8) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:07 am

Post by Skelda »

In post 326, Vijarada wrote:Herm is full Tony tbh. You are idoled out early INV. Aria and Hermy can get all your content though.
Yup, that's the way it goes. I do think they probably establish me as an alliance member of Hermy and Aria since they would go on to be so dominant and that affects the story, but there's nothing that I did that couldn't be given to someone else.
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #330 (isolation #9) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:07 am

Post by Skelda »

In post 325, BROseidon wrote:Also Penny was Sarah from Cagayan
I could definitely see it. There's lots of great merge boots that Penny could be honestly.
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #331 (isolation #10) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:08 am

Post by Skelda »

Yeah that's perfect! Dan is that guy that everyone on the show hated, but in the edit everyone likes him.
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #333 (isolation #11) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:14 am

Post by Skelda »

Dan and Aubry were in super different positions though, I don't know if it's fair to compare them. Aubry was actually in the majority alliance the whole time, Dan was ostracized and then still made it to the end. That isn't quite Woo either, I'm not sure who that's like.

I do think he gets a muted positive edit, but they don't want us to be too disappointed about him losing in the end.
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #355 (isolation #12) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:37 pm

Post by Skelda »

I just want to eat his body and drink his blood to be honest. #TracyHitlercannibal
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #381 (isolation #13) » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:48 am

Post by Skelda »

Aria was completely aware, yeah. I think the biggest reason for people not liking her is her confessional. She needed to take the PMs she was sending and post them there instead. If all I had to go on was her confessional I'd probably not root for her either.
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #401 (isolation #14) » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:49 pm

Post by Skelda »

I'm pretty sure I'm the only goat here, I'm not sure what you guys are talking about.
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #408 (isolation #15) » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:33 pm

Post by Skelda »

That sounds awesome Blair! I don't really know how it works, but I can give you my downloaded PMS if you want, provided that no one sent me something that they don't want shared which I don't think they did.

That's a lot of PMs to read through though!
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #413 (isolation #16) » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:33 pm

Post by Skelda »

In post 409, BROseidon wrote:the mods could just give you login access to every account, or download the pms themselves.
Actually all of the passwords were released somewhere publicly, I definitely saw them. But yeah, that's true about personal stuff.
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #417 (isolation #17) » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:34 pm

Post by Skelda »

But I mean, Ceph could have posted your PMs in his confessional during Arkham and it wouldn't have been a breach of privacy, why should it be different post-game?
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #546 (isolation #18) » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:51 pm

Post by Skelda »

Hi guys, so if this is dying down I don't want to stir it back up but there is some stuff that I want to say.

So first of all, Bro and I have talked about this post-game and I think we both seem to be over our in-game fighting. I have no ill will towards Bro as a person and if he is still harboring some resentment against me I don't know about it. When I read Bro's confessional I legitimately was concerned about him being alright after his blindside since I never intended to hurt anyone personally like that, I was just trying to win.

Secondly, if you vote someone out, especially after building a close personal bond with them like I did with Bro, they have a right to be mad if they so choose. I didn't realize how much Bro hated me before my elimination, but when I voted him out I was willing to hope that he'd get over it and I definitely consented into getting potentially hated on by him in the act of voting him out.

And thirdly, I can take Bro. Like, I have pretty thick skin and a bit of an ego, I wasn't hurt by anything he said to me and I honestly enjoyed some of our fights.

With all that said, I think making efforts to reduce personal conflict in these games is generally a good thing. Although I've been blindsided multiple times, often by Bro, I've never felt the kind of anger that he seems to have felt towards me this game. And I also understand that people say things in the heat of the game that they don't mean. However, I can't help but feel that claiming that you are attacking the character and not the person doesn't ring entirely true. How would Tracy be a sociopath without me also being one? It just doesn't make sense. There's a little Tracy in me and Penny in Bro and Buffy in zor and Patrick in Xof, I don't know how it could be any different. Like, I'm generally pretty authentic when I play, I play up certain parts of my character sometimes like with the evil stuff, but at my core it's still Skelda. Hell, even in this thread we've talked about how zor is acting like Buffy in this thread. There isn't a total divorce even though people certainly don't have the full picture of us as people when we are hiding behind a character. I don't want to single Bro out here because lots of people are guilty of this, but saying things like seem to attack the player more than the character doesn't foster a healthy game environment, regardless of intent.

I hope that Bro doesn't intend to blacklist me from every game that he hosts and I hope that he wasn't hurt by any of my actions in the game either. I honestly like him as a person and I'm criticising an attitude on MS more than him specifically. When I realized who he was and I thought he hated me it made me much more upset than anything that he said. But I'd rather play games where people try to be happy and to maintain the peace, especially once voted out and without a direct stake in the game. There is nothing to be gained from the kind of vitriol that Bro was expressing and it's the kind of attitude that alienates people and makes them want to not play.

I think that everyone should play to win and should accept the consequences of their actions, but I don't think other players should consciously make those consequences worse than they naturally are. At the time it felt like Penny was relishing bashing me rather than it being an authentic outpouring of emotion and I don't know whether or not that was the case, but it just isn't necessary regardless. I can handle it, but I can see how some people might not be able to or might be hurt by the things Bro was saying about me if they were directed at them.

So yeah. I debated whether or not I should post this because I really don't want to stir up more arguing. I love you all and it's honestly so stupid and is a giant black blot on what was for me a really fun game. I just think we should all be mindful and try not to create drama and conflict where it doesn't have to be, that's all. Emotions are high enough in these games without us egging them on.

There is so much that I love about these games and we can't let anger win and ruin our fun.

Anyone is free to look at my PMs who wants to.

Now wouldn't you all rather talk about my UTRN2 edit?

Return to “Social Game Archive”