Ultimate Videogame Topic 3: The Next Generation

This forum is specifically for discussing non-Mafia games
(board, card, video, we're not picky)
Playing
such games should happen in the Mish Mash forum, of course.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #2625 (ISO) » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Post by Andrius »

Did anyone actually get the Breath of the Wild?
I saw some gameplay yesterday and was fairly surprised about how it looked, especially a lot of RPG elements that LoZ hasn't had (the weapon collection/usage/breaking, cooking food etc).
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2626 (ISO) » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:32 pm

Post by DeathNote »

I'm enjoying it so far. The amount of detail and just different open world things that you can do is pretty awesome.

The controls are clunky as all hell and you are having to swap between equipment too much for my tastes. The story is as to be expected from a game like this. I think it's the weakest story line I've seen so far but aesthetically its the best.
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #2627 (ISO) » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:15 pm

Post by hiplop »

Bought it. Gonna play it after I'm done Horizon Zero Dawn
third best scummer of all time
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #2628 (ISO) » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:38 pm

Post by Andrius »

In post 2626, DeathNote wrote:The amount of detail and just different open world things that you can do is pretty awesome.
This is probably the biggest draw for me, given they're generally fairly predictable games story-wise.
I'm assuming that the Old Man you meet in the first five minutes turns out to be KING HYRULE or something like that but that's just idle speculation.
In post 2626, DeathNote wrote:The controls are clunky as all hell and you are having to swap between equipment too much for my tastes.
The hour of the let's play I watched conveyed both of these issues as well.
In post 2626, DeathNote wrote:I think it's the weakest story line I've seen so far but aesthetically its the best.
Yeah, I think, if I play it, it'll have to be a focus on EXPLORING and stuff because I had the same issue with XENOBLADE where the first one had a far superior story but I liked the second one's exploration and quest lines better, but once I approached the second with a focus on exploration and not 'this is going to be as amazing a story as the first one' I was fine.
Kind of sad to know that the story isn't that great though. Zelda games were always pretty good at that.
Hiraki
Hiraki
Survivor
Hiraki
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2629 (ISO) » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:42 pm

Post by Hiraki »

Without going into spoilers, I'm about 20-25 hours in - about half (supposedly) of the main story's quest and I have done a lot of the non-main story but definitely related story side quests. I've taken out about 3-4 guardians(not really a big deal but kind of shows people where I am and my equipment) and done 30-50 shrines. If I went to the end-game, I feel like I could succeed.

Weapon durability is not bad. It is a little bad in the early game just because it's new. Once you're pretty deep in and are able to expand your inventory, it's very easy. I wish there were buttons to quickly drop shields (or throw them) and bows (not really throwing them) but it's OK without these things. Controls can be clunky if you're trying to be very precise with inventory management and such. A lot of it stems from the fact that the Switch's controls are just weird. Not sure if a Pro Controller fixes this but maybe?

Cooking/Elixir building is a great new concept. Really puts an emphasis on preparing for fights before engaging or entering an area. Death Mountain is not traversable without using this mechanic and the game never forces you to go back and look for something that could help with the heat. The game really never tells you anything - null for me but definitely could be a negative for someone else.

Dungeons are few in number, a little challenging and short. Bosses are not as easy as usual - expect to die at least once. There's one that I am sure was c/p right from Nioh because of its bullshit.

Gonna absolutely disagree with the story part because it's probably the most expanded upon Zelda story yet that isn't just "hey Zelda was kidnapped, you never knew her but go save her??" There's one cutscene in particular that is practically Nintendo breaking the fourth wall. At the moment, the biggest problem I have with the story is with one of the enemy factions but I'm not done so this might go away. Voice acting can be great or just outright shit. Zelda is the main offender of the shitty voice acting as well as one of the Zora VAs.
Gammagooey
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Gammagooey
Glad Hatter
Glad Hatter

Post Post #2630 (ISO) » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:25 am

Post by Gammagooey »

ah fuck
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/0 ... ore-433401

crypt of the necrodancer is $3.75 USD so I probably have to get it even though I'm not going to play it much for a while
invisible inc. is $6.66 too but I already played the hell out of it

deals on kentucky route zero and darkest dungeon are in there too
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2631 (ISO) » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:29 am

Post by Papa Zito »

I watched some streams of the new Zelda game and it was just so unZeldalike. I felt like I was watching someone play an Oblivion mod.

I dunno, maybe it's gr8 fun but ughhhhhh the feel was so wrong.
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2632 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:56 am

Post by DeathNote »

It's insanely addicting and feels more like shadow of mordor then elder scrolls.

I'm still not sold on the story. I appreciate what they are trying to do but i felt more immersed by the other games then this one. Storywise that is...
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2633 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:24 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

how's the switch?
green shirt thursdays
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2634 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:50 am

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 2631, Papa Zito wrote:I watched some streams of the new Zelda game and it was just so unZeldalike. I felt like I was watching someone play an Oblivion mod.

It feels exactly like a Zelda game to me. It reminds me so much of Wind Waker, the feeling of exploration, the feeling of seeing something cool on the horizon and going to it, the feeling of finding something cool around the corner.
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
Felissan
Felissan
Goon
Felissan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2635 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:14 am

Post by Felissan »

The dungeons were always my favorite part of classic Zelda games, so I feel like Zito about it. I still can't judge the game for it though, since I haven't played it.
"Dammit Felissan, making someone lose the game is NOT NICE"
- DeathRowKitty 2016
"Also, the me in your signature just made the me in this thread lose the game and I'm not sure how to feel about this."
- DeathRowKitty 2018
"You've made me make myself lose the game so many times that I feel like it's an entirely new game I'm losing"
- DeathRowKitty 2022
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2636 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:19 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

I haven't played a Zelda game since the first one on the NES, primarily due to growing up in a house with a Playstation. Are any of them worth going back to play and have good ports on the 3DS? Reviews suggest Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are both really good, but also there's some weirdness in the LoZ timeline that could be potentially confusing.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2637 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:35 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 2636, Sudo_Nym wrote:I haven't played a Zelda game since the first one on the NES, primarily due to growing up in a house with a Playstation. Are any of them worth going back to play and have good ports on the 3DS? Reviews suggest Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are both really good, but also there's some weirdness in the LoZ timeline that could be potentially confusing.
okay look everyone fawns over OoT but i really don't think it's that special especially nowadays

the nostalgia is great, but there are so many better zelda games

definitive ranking for me is probably:
Majora's Mask (N64, ported to 3DS)
Link Between Worlds (3DS release)
Wind Waker (only on Gamecube/Wii U)
Oracle of Ages/Seasons (probably on the 3DS store?)
Link to the Past (this is everyone's favorite but I didn't play it when it came out so meh)
Ocarina of Time
Link's Awakening
Minish Cap
Twilight Princess
Spirit Tracks
Skyward Sword
Zelda
Zelda 2
Phantom Hourglass
green shirt thursdays
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #2638 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:37 am

Post by hiplop »

im pretty much there with you in that ranking but wind waker> lbw
third best scummer of all time
Felissan
Felissan
Goon
Felissan
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2639 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:38 am

Post by Felissan »

In post 2636, Sudo_Nym wrote:I haven't played a Zelda game since the first one on the NES, primarily due to growing up in a house with a Playstation. Are any of them worth going back to play and have good ports on the 3DS? Reviews suggest Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are both really good, but also there's some weirdness in the LoZ timeline that could be potentially confusing.
Don't worry about the timeline, you don't really need it to enjoy the games since they're pretty much independent story-wise.
"Dammit Felissan, making someone lose the game is NOT NICE"
- DeathRowKitty 2016
"Also, the me in your signature just made the me in this thread lose the game and I'm not sure how to feel about this."
- DeathRowKitty 2018
"You've made me make myself lose the game so many times that I feel like it's an entirely new game I'm losing"
- DeathRowKitty 2022
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2640 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:38 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

yeah timeline is neat for fans to try and theorize about and discuss but it's really not important at all, each game is a self-contained story
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #2641 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:40 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

like Majora's Mask literally starts at the ending of Ocarina of Time... but it has no relevance to the story and takes place in an entirely different universe anyway. Zelda isn't even in it.

The one thing I would say is that playing Link to the Past before Link Between Worlds is important, probably, because LttP/LBW are direct sequels and a lot of the gameplay, design, etc. is enhanced by having an understanding of what came before
green shirt thursdays
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #2642 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:02 am

Post by PJ. »

I hated Majora's Mask.

I haven't finished enough zelda games to make a definitive ranking tho...so..sorry. Link To The Past is legit tho.
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2643 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:03 am

Post by DeathNote »

I love OoT so much and its probably because it was the first game that i felt immersed in. The world was fascinating, the temples frustrating, the music was fascinating.... Just a solid and beautiful game. Mask one upped it because of gameplay and story.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2644 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:17 am

Post by hasdgfas »

As the others mentioned, timeline doesn't matter, the games are basically all self-contained. I'd definitely play Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask on 3DS. I would also download Oracle of Ages/Seasons from the eShop, and possibly Link's Awakening as well.

As far as my Zelda rankings:

Wind Waker
Oracle of Ages/Seasons
Link Between Worlds
Link's Awakening
Ocarina of Time
Skyward Sword
Majora's Mask(probably would be higher, except I hated Snowblind Temple. It'd take me the full timeline just to get to the temple so I couldn't finish it)
Link to the Past
Twilight Princess
Zelda 1
Phantom Hourglass
Minish Cap
Zelda 2
Spirit Tracks

can't rank Breath of the Wild yet, but based on my experience so far, it's probably going to end up somewhere after Wind Waker and somewhere before LttP.
Parama
Parama
Survivor
Parama
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2645 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:41 am

Post by Parama »

I tried playing the 3ds majora's mask but I didn't finish it. just didn't enjoy it at all

I also played windwaker for an hour but quit because of stealth section garbage

I've never really played a Zelda game otherwise
Show
Ever wanted a playlist full of a lot of music I really dig? Here you go.

RateYourMusic page because song contests are like the only reason I'm still here.

GET TO KNOW ME

I basically post like I'm always on twitter, ignore my spamminess.
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #2646 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:00 pm

Post by animorpherv1 »

I wasn't fond of Link Between Worlds, but I may be underselling it because I wasn't fond of how there was no post-game content aside from that one collecting thing and maybe a couple sidequests I somehow missed. The story was fine, the gameplay was good, and the game was enjoyable however.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
Hiraki
Hiraki
Survivor
Hiraki
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2647 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:47 pm

Post by Hiraki »

In post 2634, hasdgfas wrote:
In post 2631, Papa Zito wrote:I watched some streams of the new Zelda game and it was just so unZeldalike. I felt like I was watching someone play an Oblivion mod.

It feels exactly like a Zelda game to me. It reminds me so much of Wind Waker, the feeling of exploration, the feeling of seeing something cool on the horizon and going to it, the feeling of finding something cool around the corner.
I told my friend that this is Wind Waker 2 if sailing was actually fun.
In post 2633, xRECKONERx wrote:how's the switch?
It's a zelda machine - I'm not mad that I spent money on it (I used gift cards I had from the holidays so I can't honestly say I paid 400 dollars for zelda and 1 2 switch) but I think I will enjoy it once more games come out, especially Binding of Issac and those indie games. Was originally going to buy them for PS4/PC but after playing the Switch I would opt to buy games for the Switch rather than the PS4/PC just due to the portability aspect.

If you're someone who's always on the go, this is a great system. If you play games at home and you don't care about moving around, leave this one until it gets a price drop. The battery life is a problem if you don't have a power brick. I personally have never had a power problem.
Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #2648 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:35 pm

Post by Andrius »

In post 2647, Hiraki wrote:

Glad you said this. If I end up getting this game it would be for the exploration and not for the story aspect.
Wouldn't be the first time I bought a Nintendo system for one game.

Also Yukari is still best girl, Hiraki.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2649 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:05 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

In post 2647, Hiraki wrote:

I loved the sailing in Wind Waker. There was just a visceral enjoyment of that aspect for me.

Return to “The Arcade”