MafiaWiki Thread

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #355 (isolation #0) » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:11 am

Post by Kison »

I'm going to see about upgrading the wiki tonight(from
to
).

I'd also like to install at some point, but we'll need to rework some of our pages when we do so. Specifically, the main page and pages with tables don't look very nice with it.

The alternative would be to install a custom mobile responsive skin and make it default.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #356 (isolation #1) » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:47 pm

Post by Kison »

Upgrade is done. We're on 1.28.0 now. Also fixed all the JavaScript errors/warnings we had.

Other stuff:
- Fixed all the double redirects.
- Rewrote all urls to the mafiascum.net/archive url to the correct forum url.
- Rewrote almost all of the http://67.222.17.61/forum URLs (phpBB2 archive) to this board. All those links were broken. The last few are to some images we don't have here yet, so I'll see if we can host them here and finish them off.
- Converted ~2000 topic urls to plainlink syntax(it removes the little external website box) before realizing there are tens of thousands more.

We have a bunch of broken URLs to the old, phpBB2 profile page here & here. I'll add a 301 redirect but we might as well fix them in the wiki too since there aren't many.

I'll probably write a bot to scrape the entire wiki to look for other broken URLs. LMK if you can think of any other mass fixes that we need.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #357 (isolation #2) » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:08 pm

Post by Kison »

Thoughts on these updates to the top of the Main Page & the site notice? Compare the image to what we have now.

Spoiler:

I think we should rename "Main Page" as well, if we can.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #360 (isolation #3) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:17 am

Post by Kison »

Made it a little larger & applied both changes so you can take a look now.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #361 (isolation #4) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:37 am

Post by Kison »

We should figure out the title tag as well. This affects how the main page shows up in Google.

Current:

Possibilities:

Installed so we can set a meta description(should let us set the 2-line text below the URL in Google).
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #365 (isolation #5) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:22 am

Post by Kison »

Cool. I left it as MafiaWiki. We can always make it
MafiaWiki - <some other text here>
if we can think of something more to add.

I added this as a tentative meta description for the Main Page:
The largest Wiki devoted to the online version of the party game Mafia & Werewolf. To play a game, visit our forum.

I'm excited to see if the changes increase traffic flow from the wiki to the forum.

As for the logo, I'm going to work with Zakk on updating it.
wgeurts wrote:A quick to-do list for myself:
-Do some maintenance on the setups section.
-Update the history and stats for the setups.
-Find a better way to organise roles and articles.
-Make the modding section actually useful.
-Bring the mish-mash section up to standard.
-Start thinking of a way to standardise user pages, or at least make a way for them to get globally improved with ease.
Let me know if there's anything you need help with. I'm happy to do grunt work as well.
wgeurts wrote:You know how we had a setup design contest? Why not an article contest of sorts? We could have different categories such as "town-play", "scum-play", "tells", etc etc. Even though information goes out of date due to shifting meta I know that many new users look to the wiki for aid, and all information they can find can aid them. By reaching out to the competitive nature of users here we could end up with a fair number of new articles.
Interest idea. I think it's worth trying at least.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #368 (isolation #6) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:43 am

Post by Kison »

Zakk created a new logo. Let us know what you think.

Switched default skin to Vector.
Also how much work would it be to create a script that retrieves a users join date and other such information? Something like that would be nice when I get round to scummer pages, an automatic Join Date, Number of years a member, post-number ect.
I'm not super familiar with MediaWiki. Is this something we can have it parse from a data source, or do we have to manually plug it in for each user? I can easily retrieve the data, just not sure what format we would need it in.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #370 (isolation #7) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:18 am

Post by Kison »

Just taking a quick look at wgeurts's template, it seems like we should be able to have a page where we can dump everyone's signup date, right?

Like, it looks like is pulling historical data from .

I would think that if that is possible, we could do something similar where we have a page with username/user ID/join data.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #377 (isolation #8) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:59 pm

Post by Kison »

Ok, so we'll probably have to do this using AJAX, hitting a URL on the forum to get the data by username. Let me think about how to set that up.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #392 (isolation #9) » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:10 am

Post by Kison »

The portals look great!
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #394 (isolation #10) » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:45 am

Post by Kison »

In post 386, Sesq wrote:
In post 385, callforjudgement wrote:
In post 383, Sesq wrote:How do you have your own page I seem unable to add one myself.
Click on the "wiki" link under your username on the forum. Log into the wiki, if you haven't already (username and password are the same as on the forum). Then you should have an edit box via which you can edit it.
Auto-creation of a local account failed: Automatic account creation is not allowed.
In post 393, momo wrote:Auto-creation of a local account failed: Automatic account creation is not allowed.

That came up.
Could you both try again?

Looks like the upgrade partially broke our older version of the authorization plugin. I was able to fix it. Unfortunately I can't fully upgrade the plugin because it looks like they don't support phpBB 3.0.x anymore. Guess we should work on upgrading the board next.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #489 (isolation #11) » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:46 pm

Post by Kison »

Let me know if you all need any help on the tech / administrative side. I keep up with this thread.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #493 (isolation #12) » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:28 pm

Post by Kison »

The blacklist was our primary method of spam containment before we (1) linked forum & wiki accounts & (2) recently added . We can probably ease up on some of the rules we have in there.

Alright, after looking at it, it looks like I back in 2011 & we only allow from a .

For now, I whitelisted imgur & steam, but we may be okay to turn off the blacklist at this point. You wiki experts probably know better than me.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #505 (isolation #13) » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:14 am

Post by Kison »

Do you have a link to what it was that you wrote? As a wiki newbie I'll have to kind of figure it out as I go but if you have something that used to work it'll help.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #507 (isolation #14) » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:11 am

Post by Kison »

Ah, okay, if it's JavaScript I will be able to get it done quickly. If you can just point me in the direction of how to get JavaScript to run on a Wiki page, I can figure it out from there. :)
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #509 (isolation #15) » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:35 am

Post by Kison »

Cool, just fixed a null error we apparently had. Who knows what else that was breaking since it was right at the top of the script.

I think he wants the ability to change to group by player count instead of alphabetically, by automatically pulling the player count from the setup.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #511 (isolation #16) » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:52 am

Post by Kison »

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. Let me see what I can do.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #512 (isolation #17) » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:20 am

Post by Kison »

Alright, I set it up similar to how you had it before, wgeurts. Basically if there is an element with ID
setupFix
anywhere on the page, it'll rename the categories to numbers(A=1, B=2 ... Z=26). Otherwise it won't affect the page.

Hopefully we can find a better way for us to do this that doesn't require JS in the future.
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #517 (isolation #18) » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:16 am

Post by Kison »

Looks like you did everything correctly, but the Common.css file had a parsing error further up, which broke everything below:

Missing closing bracket:

Code: Select all

table.wikitable caption,
table.prettytable caption {
  margin-left: inherit;
  margin-right: inherit;
  font-weight: bold;

/* default skin for navigation boxes */
table.navbox {

Fixed that and now your styles work. :)

Return to “Mafia Discussion”