School Survivor (Game Over, Congrats Hermione!)

zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #250 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:36 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 248, xRECKONERx wrote:Because mods should get something out of running a game like insight into wtf is exactly happening
But again, as a player, the feelings of the mods aren't like... super concerning to me. I've never played a game with the idea of making the game fun for the moderator. I wouldn't play a game of basketball with the thought of "oh I hope the referee is having a good time!"
In post 247, Chevre wrote:It gives you something to do while you're waiting for PMs to reply

It just lets you lay out your thoughts. Like I rarely go back to what I was thinking or anything but having to type it all out lets me see the forest and the trees.

I don't know it's fun
Look, I'm not saying that confessionals are stupid or bad or that people who use them are unreasonable in doing so. I'm just saying that I couldn't care less about spectators when I'm a player (as a moderator, I'd almost certainly feel differently).
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #251 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:37 am

Post by Drench »

i've always had a lot of empathy for the referee tbh
join your union
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #252 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:37 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

What you're​ suggesting Zor would be like a mafia game not having the mods be able to read any PTs
green shirt thursdays
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #253 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:38 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 249, Drench wrote:yeah i mean if you feel strongly then go ahead, i'm more concerned with "oh the spectators didn't see what actually happened therefore they should Not" talk anyway because there is actually a cool and exciting way to prevent that called confessionals
And I think given the number of PMs sent that saying confessionals can substitute for "what is going on" is probably naive. It's possible there are a few players who put enough in their confessionals to follow along to a full extent, but the vast majority will not, not matter how much pressure you try to put on them.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #254 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:39 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 252, xRECKONERx wrote:What you're​ suggesting Zor would be like a mafia game not having the mods be able to read any PTs
But that happens already. You don't get to read the PMs! Unless you're saying that every PM should be copy and pasted into a confessional...
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #255 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:40 am

Post by Chevre »

good point. Like if you took nexus merge and then didn't have any confessionals, you would have a heck of a time understanding why Valla was voted out.

- - -

Like the view could be perfect if everyone did PM logs in confessional. But that's an incredible amount of work.

But giving a better glimpse into the game isn't that much work. Like I said in my confessional, it's really easy to just at the bare minimum lay out who you would vote for, who your alliances are, etc. at the beginning of each round or after ICs and stuff. Stuff like that helps. And it is incredibly hard in moments of flurrious PMing to keep them updated, especially with everything going right up to deadline, but if you can that's great and you can always recount it later
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #256 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:41 am

Post by Papa Zito »

In post 246, zoraster wrote: But as a player, why do I care? It either (a) doesn't affect the outcome or the game or (b) DOES affect the outcome of the game in a way that's probably unintentional and thus less than ideal (unless a mod has designed a mechanic that utilizes spectators).
Helps organize your thoughts during the game. Helps keep track of everything that's going on. Interacting with spectators is fun so you increase your own enjoyment as well. Gives you something to put side-by-side with other player confessionals when the game is over to get a nice narrative of the game.
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #257 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:42 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 256, Papa Zito wrote:
In post 246, zoraster wrote: But as a player, why do I care? It either (a) doesn't affect the outcome or the game or (b) DOES affect the outcome of the game in a way that's probably unintentional and thus less than ideal (unless a mod has designed a mechanic that utilizes spectators).
Helps organize your thoughts during the game. Helps keep track of everything that's going on. Interacting with spectators is fun so you increase your own enjoyment as well. Gives you something to put side-by-side with other player confessionals when the game is over to get a nice narrative of the game.
Sure, I have no problem with this. But that's why it's a nice basically optional feature. It allows for greater enjoyment of the game for some players and the spectators/mods. I'm not anti-confessional as a game design feature.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #258 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:42 am

Post by BROseidon »

Replace pms with forums.

Problem solved, except the mods have to do like hundreds of forums and also ain't nobody gonna read all that
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #259 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:42 am

Post by McMenno »

I mean it was brought up as a counterpoint to "specs don't know what's going on so shouldn't comment"
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #260 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:43 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 258, BROseidon wrote:Replace pms with forums.

Problem solved, except the mods have to do like hundreds of forums and also ain't nobody gonna read all that
Yeah, you basically require that the game be pretty small (or at least that the tribes be very small).

If you have 20 players, tribes of 10 would lead to 90 forums for person to person communication.
If you have 20 players, tribes of 4 would lead to 30 forums for person to person communication.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #261 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:44 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 259, McMenno wrote:I mean it was brought up as a counterpoint to "specs don't know what's going on so shouldn't comment"
Right. And this was my objection.
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter

Post Post #262 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:44 am

Post by Drench »

i had a hali ford quote and EVERYTHING ready to go but yeah past few posts are good
join your union
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #263 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:45 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 253, zoraster wrote:
In post 249, Drench wrote:yeah i mean if you feel strongly then go ahead, i'm more concerned with "oh the spectators didn't see what actually happened therefore they should Not" talk anyway because there is actually a cool and exciting way to prevent that called confessionals
And I think given the number of PMs sent that saying confessionals can substitute for "what is going on" is probably naive. It's possible there are a few players who put enough in their confessionals to follow along to a full extent, but the vast majority will not, not matter how much pressure you try to put on them.
i dunno, an update every round going:

"I kinda like X, we talked a lot. I think people are thinking about targeting Y" takes all of 30 seconds
green shirt thursdays
UpTooLate
UpTooLate
Mafia Scum
UpTooLate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #264 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:50 am

Post by UpTooLate »

In post 250, zoraster wrote:But again, as a player, the feelings of the mods aren't like... super concerning to me. I've never played a game with the idea of making the game fun for the moderator. I wouldn't play a game of basketball with the thought of "oh I hope the referee is having a good time!"
Ok but the mods put in a TON of time and effort to create this game for people to play, and then they have to watch it play out. What better way to show your appreciation for them and their hard work by making it a fun experience for them too?
Get to know me!
Take care of those you call your own, and keep good company.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #265 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:56 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 264, UpTooLate wrote:
In post 250, zoraster wrote:But again, as a player, the feelings of the mods aren't like... super concerning to me. I've never played a game with the idea of making the game fun for the moderator. I wouldn't play a game of basketball with the thought of "oh I hope the referee is having a good time!"
Ok but the mods put in a TON of time and effort to create this game for people to play, and then they have to watch it play out. What better way to show your appreciation for them and their hard work by making it a fun experience for them too?
This isn't a bad attitude to take, and as a mafia moderator I always loved when players had a QT or PMed me their thoughts periodically.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #266 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:58 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 263, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 253, zoraster wrote:
i dunno, an update every round going:

"I kinda like X, we talked a lot. I think people are thinking about targeting Y" takes all of 30 seconds
That really doesn't approach the nuance of everything going on.
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter

Post Post #267 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:59 am

Post by Drench »

you're a smart dude bro i'm sure if you sat down for five to ten minutes you could get at some of the nuance
join your union
CuddlyCaucasian
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
Professor of Being a Dog

Post Post #268 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:00 am

Post by CuddlyCaucasian »

In post 229, UpTooLate wrote:
In post 223, BROseidon wrote:This is why specs need to not talk about things. Because they don't understand what actually happens in the game because they don't see 95% of it
Yeah and people watching survivor at home shouldn't talk about things either because they don't see 95% of it.

This.

Also confessionals are always more of a courtesy thing, unless it's a game like Hogwarts or LoL where players are incentivized with gold for answering all confessional questions. Usually I just expect/hope to be shown that courtesy with at least minor updates
"CC is very [whatever the equivalent of photogenic as it applies to videos]" - racefan12

"CC is an objectively attractive person." - Crazy

"You look like a happy version of Trent Reznor." - LicketyQuickety

"Do you practice sounding like you're high all the time?" - xofelf
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #269 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:09 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 267, Drench wrote:you're a smart dude bro i'm sure if you sat down for five to ten minutes you could get at some of the nuance
It's why I did video but video is harder for specs so yeah.

I mean my issue is laziness more than anything. It's easier for me to talk through everything than to write through ut
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #270 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:09 am

Post by zoraster »

all right, all right. i've been convinced. if i ever play another game I'll try to give some morsels.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #271 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:10 am

Post by BROseidon »

And to that point there is a lot about a given survivor season that we don't see because of editing, not being there, etc
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter

Post Post #272 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:11 am

Post by Drench »

In post 269, BROseidon wrote:
In post 267, Drench wrote:you're a smart dude bro i'm sure if you sat down for five to ten minutes you could get at some of the nuance
It's why I did video but video is harder for specs so yeah.

I mean my issue is laziness more than anything. It's easier for me to talk through everything than to write through ut
true, video is the lamest of the communication mediums
join your union
xofelf
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
Miss Mash
Pronoun: they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)

Post Post #273 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:13 am

Post by xofelf »

In post 270, zoraster wrote:if i ever play another game I'll try to give some morsels.
But zor, you gotta let everyone have a yearly dose of glee for voting you out of a game. Do it for the site. It's what we really need, the ability to have you on the same level as us where we utterly destroy you. It brings the community together. Isn't that what you want?
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to reknow a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #274 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:18 am