School Survivor (Game Over, Congrats Hermione!)

zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #275 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:25 am

Post by zoraster »

In post 273, xofelf wrote:
In post 270, zoraster wrote:if i ever play another game I'll try to give some morsels.
But zor, you gotta let everyone have a yearly dose of glee for voting you out of a game. Do it for the site. It's what we really need, the ability to have you on the same level as us where we utterly destroy you. It brings the community together. Isn't that what you want?
If I'm getting voted out because of my CONFESSIONAL posting, then there is something wrong going on.
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #276 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:25 am

Post by Drench »

r.obbed g.oddess zor voted out for being too oversharing
join your union
Papa Zito
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Papa Zito
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #277 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:27 am

Post by Papa Zito »

In post 275, zoraster wrote:
In post 270, zoraster wrote:if i ever play another game I'll try to give some morsels.
But zor, you gotta let everyone have a yearly dose of glee for voting you out of a game. Do it for the site. It's what we really need, the ability to have you on the same level as us where we utterly destroy you. It brings the community together. Isn't that what you want?
If I'm getting voted out because of my CONFESSIONAL posting, then there is something wrong going on.
I think she's referring to the "if i ever play another game" part
Kappa
Just Monika
Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #278 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:31 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

i think it's also if you see people in the spec forums going WTF THIS PERSON IS DOING WELL!?!?!? WHY UGH I HATE IT it's probs because you didn't give enough in your confessional so you cant be super mad ab that
green shirt thursdays
UpTooLate
UpTooLate
Mafia Scum
UpTooLate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #279 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:37 am

Post by UpTooLate »

Confessionals are also great tools for people to learn from, and if giving premerge boots spec access is going to be a thing now (which it should) it helps people learn how to improve their game, especially the newbies, while everything is still fresh in their minds (whichI think was the point of giving access here?) which could help with retention.
Get to know me!
Take care of those you call your own, and keep good company.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #280 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:50 am

Post by BROseidon »

In post 278, xRECKONERx wrote:i think it's also if you see people in the spec forums going WTF THIS PERSON IS DOING WELL!?!?!? WHY UGH I HATE IT it's probs because you didn't give enough in your confessional so you cant be super mad ab that
Lor'Themar
MattP
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
Dr. Feelgood

Post Post #281 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:52 am

Post by MattP »

In post 279, UpTooLate wrote:Confessionals are also great tools for people to learn from, and if giving premerge boots spec access is going to be a thing now (which it should) it helps people learn how to improve their game, especially the newbies, while everything is still fresh in their minds (whichI think was the point of giving access here?) which could help with retention.
Yeah this is true and a good point
SlappyKrust
MattP
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
Dr. Feelgood

Post Post #282 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:52 am

Post by MattP »

Though, if someone is bashed by players, is voted out and feeling vulnerable, and then sees that it might alienate them too
SlappyKrust
MattP
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
MattP
Dr. Feelgood
Dr. Feelgood

Post Post #283 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:54 am

Post by MattP »

Also if people feel comfortable doing it, I often will copy paste PM convos into my confessionals, at least the important/funny parts, so that people can see exactly what is happening
SlappyKrust
KaleiÐoscøpe
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
KaleiÐoscøpe
=====[]
=====[]

Post Post #284 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:55 am

Post by KaleiÐoscøpe »

If you can't take getting your feelings hurt you shouldn't be playing these games. Survivor is always being prepared for the worst backstab to date. If you can't get over that these games aren't for you
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #285 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:55 am

Post by hiplop »

In post 223, BROseidon wrote:Aria wasn't a villain.

This is why specs need to not talk about things. Because they don't understand what actually happens in the game because they don't see 95% of it
Yea why even bother talking about the show right
third best scummer of all time
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #286 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:59 am

Post by hiplop »

In post 269, BROseidon wrote:
In post 267, Drench wrote:you're a smart dude bro i'm sure if you sat down for five to ten minutes you could get at some of the nuance
It's why I did video but video is harder for specs so yeah.

I mean my issue is laziness more than anything. It's easier for me to talk through everything than to write through ut
Id have loved if you did videos. Prefer watching than reading. Like I watched every jeff/jt one
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #287 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:59 am

Post by zoraster »

CuddlyCaucasian
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
Professor of Being a Dog

Post Post #288 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:36 am

Post by CuddlyCaucasian »

In post 284, KaleiÐoscøpe wrote:If you can't take getting your feelings hurt you shouldn't be playing these games. Survivor is always being prepared for the worst backstab to date. If you can't get over that these games aren't for you
"CC is very [whatever the equivalent of photogenic as it applies to videos]" - racefan12

"CC is an objectively attractive person." - Crazy

"You look like a happy version of Trent Reznor." - LicketyQuickety

"Do you practice sounding like you're high all the time?" - xofelf
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #289 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:18 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

i truly have never forgiven mattp for LoL
green shirt thursdays
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #290 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:46 am

Post by hiplop »

yea fuck you for LOL too prick
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #291 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:51 am

Post by PrivateI »

Without Zoraster, there really are no big moves.
Vijarada
Vijarada
Goon
Vijarada
Goon
Goon

Post Post #292 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:15 am

Post by Vijarada »

Aria might not have been a villain in the "haha I am soldier 76 look at my diabolical plans" way, but she was the villain of the storyline, as the main antagonist to dan.
Vijarada
Vijarada
Goon
Vijarada
Goon
Goon

Post Post #293 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:17 am

Post by Vijarada »

i honestly really miss having a confessional after games end.
Vijarada
Vijarada
Goon
Vijarada
Goon
Goon

Post Post #294 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:33 am

Post by Vijarada »

In post 230, Drench wrote:use confessionals more

"simples", to quote the meerkats in the insurance commercials
why do you make the entire body of your posting in-jokes that literally nobody else can get?
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #295 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:52 am

Post by BROseidon »

But why was Dan the hero?
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #296 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:24 am

Post by Skelda »

I mean Dan was the underdog, of course he was going to be the hero. That's just the way it works Bro. When you're on top you're hated, when you're scrambling to survive you're loved.

I think you guys got an incredibly skewed perception of Aria because Aria talked way more to players than she did in her confessional, which is probably part of the problem. I should have copied and pasted more of our conversations into my confessional because she was so raw and genuine and likeable there, but if she isn't like that in confessional it doesn't exist according to you.

I don't think being a spectator means that you necessarily know more than the people in the game, because PMs are like 90% of the action and only a fraction of PMs ever make it to the spectators to read. Like obviously players are going to have incredibly limited views too and some people like me are okay with sometimes being the villain and embracing that role, but hating on Aria is almost like basing your opinion of her entirely on the edit she received on the show. It's easy as viewers of the show or as spectators to feel like you know everything, and especially when you have a ton of spectators who were recently in the game it can really create a spectator forum that's as much a hotbed of emotion as the game. It's really funny reading the spectator threads and seeing you guys complain about the groupthink in the game when the spectator forum turned into the exact same thing with people feeding on each other's emotions and ultimately no one being willing to express an opinion outside of the norm. But these are people we're talking about, they aren't edited characters on your tv screen. And trashing on gameplay is fine and hating the character is fine I guess, but you just have to remember like you would with the show that there's a lot that you aren't seeing and that we're also all generally not horrible human beings. Like, just be mindful that everything that you say will be read by the person you are talking about in a couple months. The same goes for confessionals too, but I do want to encourage authenticity. I just think embracing nuance and not insisting on it being a good guys vs. bad guys thing would make the viewing experience less annoying in general, because there were redeeming qualities in every single player this game.

Like, analyze the gameplay. Was this move good? What might this person have done? I personally love seeing comments about things that I'm doing wrong so that I can try to improve in the future. Simultaneously, however, getting into the mindset where your favorites have to succeed or the season sucks is setting yourself up to be angry with the game that's going to be unfolding because 9 times out of 10, the underdogs fail.

I don't want to be preachy and presumptuous because I've never been a spectator and I definitely made some mistakes this game and said some things that I wish I could take back especially in the Jury threads, but I just feel like if you're not in the game you are in a position to actually be objective, so just spending a large part of the Jury threads complaining about certain players seemed like a squandered opportunity. I'd much prefer seeing more going through every player's perspective and trying to see what moves they could make and speculation about the direction things could go, since as someone who's always been on the player side of things I'd much rather have people speculating about potential decisions that I could have made or what I could have done differently than bitching about me for playing the best that I could.

I'm not really saying anything that hasn't already been said and I loved this game so much, even post-game, but I think in general making the discourse more about the game will focus in on the part that most of us actually care the most about and will create less discontent among the community. This game had so many interesting strategic situations that were exhilarating to maneuver, those should be the emphasis. And if you think the votes were just boring and predictable all season, you weren't looking closely enough.
Vijarada
Vijarada
Goon
Vijarada
Goon
Goon

Post Post #297 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:28 am

Post by Vijarada »

Going into the merge, there were three main powerhouse girls; penny aria and Tracy. They really liked bragging a lot and it looked like one would get the idol. But no, Dan got the idol and saved the day! Hooray, said we. Then he took down penny! Then he stood up for his friends, Dick and Blair, huge spec favourites. But, as it appeared in the storyline, the edit, Hermy abandoned him because he would not vote out his friends. So, he won immunity and nearly ruined the evil majority, foiled by Juno and Damian.

Hero, buddy. Even if you weren't a fan.
Vijarada
Vijarada
Goon
Vijarada
Goon
Goon

Post Post #298 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:36 am

Post by Vijarada »

Aria was good at PMing wow that's a revelation I didn't know about before jeez. My whole opinion is changed now
Vijarada
Vijarada
Goon
Vijarada
Goon
Goon

Post Post #299 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:37 am

Post by Vijarada »

I think this season may have also been edited to have Juno as the heroic MC not Dan. You know how cool it is that Dan's vote was the thing that ended Juno? Cool.

Return to “Social Game Archive”