Scummies Ideas, Suggestions and Comments Thread

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
zakk
zakk
Jack of All Trades
zakk
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1075 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:30 am

Post by zakk »

Yea confirmed. No scum/3p losses, ever. :cool:

(On this account and at least 2 alts)
permanently retired

see here for more info
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #1076 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:28 pm

Post by Untrod Tripod »

In post 1071, zakk wrote:
In post 945, Andrius wrote:
In post 933, zakk wrote:finding better judges
Judging is A LOT of work.
Especially when there's little discretion in nominations and there's a good half-dozen or dozen games entered for each category.

And its entirely a volunteer basis.

I was a judge for 2011. And another year.
I know, I have been a judge multiple times too

It's a lot of work, yes, but perhaps instead of just announcing the position of scummies judge and hoping the right people sign up (many were lazy/took a long time this time around, not naming names), we should invite people we find to be excellent at such tedious work who appreciate attention to detail (perhaps look at the people who balance setups, mod crazy games with a lot of swingy roles (which turn out well repeatedly)), etc. Names come to mind such as callforjudgement (he even has "judge" in his name for crying out loud), Varsoon, mhsmith0.

If we invite high-caliber people, perhaps they will realize it's another way they can contribute to the community that they might not have considered before, because they were otherwise occupied doing their other community service.

Anyway... not trying to be argumentative, just explaining my point and showing that there was a thought process behind it.
Um. We do invite people.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1077 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:37 pm

Post by LicketyQuickety »

In post 1069, Untrod Tripod wrote:
In post 1035, LicketyQuickety wrote:
In post 1034, xRECKONERx wrote:Why do you think we need that when we literally had a hydra win the best scum player award this year
  1. Hydra's are actually a thing. What I mean is that I think it would be best if people stop burying their heads in the sand fighting the inevitability that Hydra's are very very popular amongst players and I think more regular playing players do do Hydras than do not. Giving a Hydra a specific award gives Hydra players an incentive to play to the best of their ability, to elevate their play to something they couldn't do by themselves alone. It adds a layer of competition to Hydra play - especially but not limited to Hydra only games.
  2. I don't think Hydra's should be able to be eligible to win the Body of Work and Single Game awards. I think things like winning Most Cunning Manipulator is a lot easier to win if you are in a Hydra with someone. Not to take away the Skill that is found in Malakittens and Plotinus, because I respect both players play a lot. But with awards like Most Cunning Manipulator, its almost like having a Team within a Team and I feel that all the single player awards and body of work awards should be specific to individual players. Two heads are better that one, and I think it gives Hydra players an edge when considering who is the "Best" - singular.
There should be a single "Best" for any award that can be won by a single person and a special award that is specific to Hydra play. I do think that when considering Moderation that Hydras should be eligible. And I say this not considering in the slightest that Mala and Plot should be stripped of their title - they deserved it.
It kind of seems like you're holistically making the point that the degree of difficulty is lower with a hydra and therefore they need separate awards. If the degree of difficulty truly is lower, that means hydras have an unfair advantage and therefore should not be allowed in games at all.

Additionally, the argument that hydras are "inevitable" is funny considering they've been around for like six years now and haven't had significant numerical growth for a years.
Part of the conditions to my argument are that Hydras are here to stay and are a pretty big part of the site, yeah. You did get the argument right in the first paragraph so that at least makes me feel understood, which is good.
I was anything worse than you! Anything worse than you was I!

You was doided teh aposit_tisopa het dedoid saw em.
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #1078 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:04 pm

Post by Untrod Tripod »

that doesn't address what I said. are you asserting that hydras have a lower degree of difficulty than single-player slots or not?
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1079 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:07 pm

In post 1078, Untrod Tripod wrote:that doesn't address what I said. are you asserting that hydras have a lower degree of difficulty than single-player slots or not?
I am saying at the very least in theory Hydras have a lower difficulty, yes.

zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1080 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:19 pm

Post by zoraster »

usually when you introduce a "special" category, it's because otherwise they participants would have a hard time competing in the "open" section. For examples, the LPGA is for women because professional women generally can't hit the ball as far as professional men. Under 18 national soccer teams are for teenagers because adults play better and are more physically able.

You don't generally introduce a special category to further celebrate the people who would already win the open category.
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1081 (ISO) » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:24 pm

In post 1080, zoraster wrote:usually when you introduce a "special" category, it's because otherwise they participants would have a hard time competing in the "open" section. For examples, the LPGA is for women because professional women generally can't hit the ball as far as professional men. Under 18 national soccer teams are for teenagers because adults play better and are more physically able.

You don't generally introduce a special category to further celebrate the people who would already win the open category.
I don't think it is the same situation here, but I digress.

Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1082 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:54 am

Post by Drench »

can we get a best large social game moment thanks
join your union
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter

Post Post #1083 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:56 am

Post by Drench »

ahshfksjdn that was really flippant let me phone post an actual argument

so kodak moment is obviously a thing. i'd put that LSGs are like, the equivalent to mafia games in terms of mishmash, and a lot of brutal/iconic stuff happens in them (school survivor alone: murdering the baby, truth tea; previous examples would be stuff like seafoam's legendary box), and i think it'd be neat

i'm on my phone that's really all i can do
join your union
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1084 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:11 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

hmmm i think it becomes hard to attribute a moment to one specific person though??? like wouldn't the baby moment technically just be all 3 mods plus dan for killing the baby? idk
green shirt thursdays
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #1085 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:12 am

Post by zoraster »

On the one hand, that walks us closer to be disproportionate to the actual activity that social games represent. On the other, Kodak Moment for social games seems a very appropriate award. In many ways a better award than best player does.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #1086 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:13 am

Post by zoraster »

Well, Kodak Moment for Mafia games is awarded to "player or players"
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter

Post Post #1087 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:23 am

Post by Drench »

i think the disproportionality thing is a good thing to keep in mind, and if there's maybe some consolidation possible (although with so few awards there, idk what could be done)

also i'd just award it to dan tbh, mods didn't kill no baby
join your union
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1088 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:24 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 1085, zoraster wrote:On the one hand, that walks us closer to be disproportionate to the actual activity that social games represent. On the other, Kodak Moment for social games seems a very appropriate award. In many ways a better award than best player does.
Yeah, I agree... I think the "best overall person in mish mash" award might be kinda meh in comparison to best moment?
green shirt thursdays
LicketyQuickety
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
LicketyQuickety
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1089 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:30 am

Uhg.

Creature
Creature
Solve This Game
Creature
Solve This Game
Solve This Game

Post Post #1090 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:31 am

Post by Creature »

Still think there should be a Best Town Performance award (just nominate who has actually influenced town).

Seriously, I'm seeing good town performances (mini 1869) being nominated for Kodak Moment.
Sigh
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #1091 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:58 am

Post by Psyche »

In post 1080, zoraster wrote:usually when you introduce a "special" category, it's because otherwise they participants would have a hard time competing in the "open" section. For examples, the LPGA is for women because professional women generally can't hit the ball as far as professional men. Under 18 national soccer teams are for teenagers because adults play better and are more physically able.

in this analogy, the women are us, the non-hydras
youtube playlist extracter | donbot | game scraper | vca | setupsim | strategist | llm
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #1092 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:02 am

Post by zoraster »

correct. I mean, I don't really buy the premise that hydras are so much better (that's not why i tend to dislike them), but if they ARE better and more able to win awards, it doesn't make much sense to create a separate category for them unless they are completely banned from winning other awards.
Psyche
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Psyche
he/they
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #1093 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:04 am

Post by Psyche »

yes plz ban them
youtube playlist extracter | donbot | game scraper | vca | setupsim | strategist | llm
Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #1094 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:15 am

Post by Untrod Tripod »

ban them from the site you say?

well if you insist...
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #1095 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:47 am

Post by mastina »

In post 1084, xRECKONERx wrote:hmmm i think it becomes hard to attribute a moment to one specific person though???
Lest I be mistaken, Kodak Moment isn't specifically one person. Multiple people involved in a moment can and have been consistently nominated. (Same for Don Corelone under the new system: it can be a single member, but it could also potentially be a whole scumteam nominated.)

I mean, if this isn't true, then frankly the descriptions for the awards are lying to nominators because nominators have been led to believe that these are things that a group can win.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1096 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:51 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

i meant more in the context of "it is hard to attribute something like game design to just the players when the mods put it there in the first place" so why dont we pump the fucking brakes on calling out lies
green shirt thursdays
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #1097 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:04 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

I sort of hate the existence of Kodak Moment as an award. It's super fluffy, and feels pretty meaningless. It's like a consolation award, at least when applied to moments that could have also been nominated for other awards. It's cool to be noticed, but aren't those memorable things about people the reason why titles are a big deal here?

For example, I would have preferred to be nominated for Hannibal Lecter and LOST(which is what would have happened because Elyse crushed it) then actually winning Kodak Moment. It just doesn't have nearly the same level of significance as any of the other awards.

(Yes, I know it's a bit ridiculous to be bringing this up as one of the people who currently has the banner for that award.)

Anyways, I sorta feel like Kodak Moment either shouldn't exist, or should be much more limited in scope to "funny" moments.
GTK a me, currently live, this may be your only chance!
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=78521&p=10688009#p10688009
mastina
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
mastina
She/Her
False Prophet
False Prophet
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #1098 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:05 am

Post by mastina »

Kodak moment isn't game design, though?
It's literally a memorable moment--mechanics CAN play a part in a memorable moment, but a memorable moment can be literally anything:
Good town play.
A hilarious post.
A notable exchange.
All of those are things within the scope of the award, without game design involved, without mods involved, just purely off of players doing their thing.
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #1099 (ISO) » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:10 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

Oh, I know. Again, my point is its simply not on the same scale of recognition as any other award.
GTK a me, currently live, this may be your only chance!
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=78521&p=10688009#p10688009

Return to “Mafia Discussion”